The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Your First 100 Million by Dan Pena

For any book discussion

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
What some of these gurus say they've done and what he's actually done are sometimes two completely different things.

Smoke and mirrors.

That is not the case of Dan Pena though. He actually made A LOT of money. His group, The Guthrie Group, is involved in some MAJOR transactions worldwide, mostly setup of joint ventures,partnerships, etc... and they make a pretty nice commission on each. And that's not all they do.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CashFlowDepot

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
May 16, 2009
Central America
Would you rather learn how to make $25 Million from an honest person with intergrity and strong ethics or learn to make $50 Million from a dishonest person with NO integrity and NO ethics?

It's a personal decision.

Pick your mentors very carefully.

Tregan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 16, 2013
Would you rather learn how to make $25 Million from an honest person with intergrity and strong ethics or learn to make $50 Million from a dishonest person with NO integrity and NO ethics?

It's a personal decision.

Pick your mentors very carefully.

I'm curious, are you implying Pena has no integrity or ethics? I've watched over 20 of his seminar videos, read his book and ebook and interviews on London Real / Youtube. The man DOES have integrity and ethics, I can say this with full certainty. He makes full disclaimer about the fraud case he was involved in and has never hid from it (by the way Pena was innocent and cleared of all charges). He has a style that's different from most and that's why people pay to learn from him, his system works.

So I'm curious, is their other information I don't know about that shows any unethical or lack of integrity? Have you seen any interviews with the people that went to his castle seminar? I have and haven't seen a single negative response.

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
My only objective is to constantly make as much money as possible, so as long as my ethics and morals are straight, I really do not care how or who I learn to make the money from.

;)

Agreed 100%

Thinking women have no place in business is Dan's opinion, and has NOTHING to do with morals or ethics anyway. You don't have to have the same opinion as him to use his system.

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
My only objective is to constantly make as much money as possible, so as long as my ethics and morals are straight, I really do not care how or who I learn to make the money from.

;)

This is more of a general "mentor" question, no shots intended at anyone.

I agreed with tw to an extent, but then wondered to myself,
"what if the person you're learning from with questionable (if any) ethics makes many decisions/moves/plans based on that, and perhaps got where they are (position and speed at which they got there) primarily because of their unethical decisions?"

IOW, what if the "how" of their practices of making big money went against your principles/beliefs, but you didn't find out until you were deeply buried in it?

Seems like learning from someone honest would have more long term benefit for a number of reasons. Not necessarily someone you agree with on every issue in life, but someone with integrity. Who makes ethical business decisions. And has a good reputation (as a person and company).

Thoughts?

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
Dan Pena's awesome.

Damn you! I started watching it just to check it out, and ended up having to finish it and slept later than planned haha

This is more of a general "mentor" question, no shots intended at anyone.

I agreed with tw to an extent, but then wondered to myself,
"what if the person you're learning from with questionable (if any) ethics makes many decisions/moves/plans based on that, and perhaps got where they are (position and speed at which they got there) primarily because of their unethical decisions?"

IOW, what if the "how" of their practices of making big money went against your principles/beliefs, but you didn't find out until you were deeply buried in it?

Seems like learning from someone honest would have more long term benefit for a number of reasons. Not necessarily someone you agree with on every issue in life, but someone with integrity. Who makes ethical business decisions. And has a good reputation (as a person and company).

Thoughts?
I know your post is not directed towards me but...

First, I don't think Dan Pena has bad morals or ethics but I know your question is more general so...

I don't know how you would find out the principles/beliefs were bad until you were buried in the situation... You know that in the beginning, don't you?

I personally wouldn't do anything unethical, but I could definitely learn from someone who is unethical, as long as what i'm learning is not.

And to your point that learning from someone honest is better... It's obviously better to learn from an accomplished person that is honest, specially if that person is your mentor in real-life. But we don't need to limit our source to only one person, and we don't need to learn everything a person teaches, we can select the things we want to apply to our lives... thus, you can take advice from different kinds of people, even some you don't agree with on some issues.

I think Donald Trump has horrible views on many things in society and life. Does that mean I wouldn't learn how to invest money in Real Estate from him? No. It's two completely different things.

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
I met Dan Pena about 10 years ago and heard him talk at a seminar.
The biggest ego jerk I've ever met in my life.

He sincerely thinks all women are put on this earth for one thing.. to please their man
and stay barefoot and pregnant. He thinks there's no room for women in any kind of business.

Marked him off the list.
if this was true...why would he have women in his seminars?
I actually just finished watching a video of his (that was shot a few days ago) where he said women on average did best with his teachings because they are stronger and have less ego than men.

I think his personality type just rubs some people the wrong way.
If you dont like to be around people that talk a lot of shit, he's going to offend you.

On another note...its funny how things work out. I was doing some searching on his book to see if I could buy a copy somewhere, and it led me to this site.
Like someone else pointed out, he doesnt care if you download a torrent.
I just wanted a leather bound copy for my book case.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto
The man has made in excess of $50 billion, the way I see it is he knows how to create wealth. His personal views on women are irrelevant. I care more about his business knowledge. I thought he was rude and crude the first time I saw him but the man knows business like few do.

Source?

You do realize he has had 1 large capital transaction, the first resource company he took public on the London Stock Exchange. The company imploded because it was so poorly run, shareholders and BoD ousted and sued Dan Pena. It had a market cap of $300mm (He only owned around 10% by the time it went public) and then the market cap dwindled to $20mm and was bought out by a larger resource company.

If he was actually worth anything he wouldn't be 70 years old slinging his cheasy and overpriced get-rich seminars, books etc. He's probably trying to pay off debts before he dies or something. He may have been "rude and crude" but he certainly did not know how to run a business.

Last edited:

Deon

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL
The $50 billion thing is not really that, and that's not what he claims.

He says he helped generate that for his clients, meaning... If BP and Chevron did a deal worth $2 billion, and his company is the one who put the deal together for them, then he counts that as helping generate $2 billion.

He never claimed he made that money himself. But of course, making it seem like that to gullible people can bring some more attention to himself :)

jilla82

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Jun 4, 2012
Chicago
Source?

You do realize he has had 1 large capital transaction, the first resource company he took public on the London Stock Exchange. The company imploded because it was so poorly run, shareholders and BoD ousted and sued Dan Pena. It had a market cap of $300mm (He only owned around 10% by the time it went public) and then the market cap dwindled to $20mm and was bought out by a larger resource company.

If he was actually worth anything he wouldn't be 70 years old slinging his cheasy and expensive get-rich seminars, books etc. He's probably trying to pay off debts before he dies or something. He may have been "rude and crude" but he certainly did not know how to run a business.
Are you talking about when he was dealing in petroleum?
He openly talks about that.

I doubt he makes much money from his courses. He only takes like 10 people at a time...that wouldnt be enough money to pay for his lifestyle.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
The people who really have cracked the nut of making $100M are probably not writing a get rich book, from which they might earn $5M tops. They're out making their $100M into $200M or $500M (cf. Robert Herjavec, etc.). It's the people who can't repeat their success who are often slinging the hash of "how do I do it" books. It is so, so unbelievably rare that you have someone willing to teach you how to make money who is actually capable of repeating their success again.

That's why TMF is awesome, MJ sold the company for millions, bought it back, and did it again, then built this forum, completely different space, and is still doing well, then the forum got populated by a$$ kickers who are also doing well.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
Pretty sure when I'm his age living in a castle, I'm not trying to repeat. Also sure I'm not going to mentor anybody. Spend the time with those closest to me because you are not guaranteed a tomorrow.

But hey, that's just one mans opinion.

Minor point, seems most if not all the shark tank members have published a book on success. So there's that...

ExecutionisKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Jan 3, 2014
MI
I don't know how you would find out the principles/beliefs were bad until you were buried in the situation... You know that in the beginning, don't you?

Considering that the longer you spend with someone, the more you learn about them- generally speaking- it seems very plausible to me that some successful person you're following and learning from could be involved in or just regularly practice some shady/underhanded deals, that you might not know about until spending more time with that person. Or if they truly had no moral compass, maybe they wouldn't even consider what they were doing "wrong," just "competitive business," or whatever their reasoning might be...
I personally wouldn't do anything unethical, but I could definitely learn from someone who is unethical, as long as what i'm learning is not.
Right, I'm not trying to say you can't learn something from that person at all, but at minimum, it would require extra discernment on your part, as you're basically saying "Of course I could learn practices that aren't unethical from a person who habitually acts unethically!" It's figuring out how much of someone's unethical practices have just become "what they do," and they never consider it bad compared to some of the other things they've done/do.

But we don't need to limit our source to only one person, and we don't need to learn everything a person teaches, we can select the things we want to apply to our lives... thus, you can take advice from different kinds of people, even some you don't agree with on some issues. I think Donald Trump has horrible views on many things in society and life. Does that mean I wouldn't learn how to invest money in Real Estate from him? No. It's two completely different things.

Yes, and no... sometimes a person's practices are all linked together, and while you might think you can just pick and choose between things they do that you want to imitate, it's not always the case, they can end up being more reliant on one another than you realize.

With the Trump example, I think you're mistaking types of "views" here. Trump's view on any hot topic (say healthcare, or any social topic) likely is unrelated to his operation and management of his real estate practices (unless he bought into those industries, then it's possible).
However, that's different than his views on right/wrong/fair/unfair practices of a business and brand, and could certainly play a role in some aspect of his investing. I don't think I need to create multiple hypothetical examples to accuse him of for that to make sense...

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Minor point, seems most if not all the shark tank members have published a book on success. So there's that...

Like I said, you do get rare instances of someone who has really and truly cracked it writing a book like this. For the Sharks, it helps that they have the potential for scale that comes from TV, that guarantees a book will be a big hit. When you have that kind of fame multiplier it makes much more sense than when you're a rich but not well known person.

Michael W.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
66%
Mar 2, 2009
Ok City, OK
Like I said, you do get rare instances of someone who has really and truly cracked it writing a book like this. For the Sharks, it helps that they have the potential for scale that comes from TV, that guarantees a book will be a big hit. When you have that kind of fame multiplier it makes much more sense than when you're a rich but not well known person.

Yeah, you covered yourself with rare. Dan has been around awhile. He didn't just come out in recent years.

brandonrush

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jul 23, 2012
Louisiana
The people who really have cracked the nut of making $100M are probably not writing a get rich book, from which they might earn $5M tops. They're out making their $100M into $200M or $500M (cf. Robert Herjavec, etc.). It's the people who can't repeat their success who are often slinging the hash of "how do I do it" books. It is so, so unbelievably rare that you have someone willing to teach you how to make money who is actually capable of repeating their success again.

That's why TMF is awesome, MJ sold the company for millions, bought it back, and did it again, then built this forum, completely different space, and is still doing well, then the forum got populated by a$$ kickers who are also doing well.

You should read How To Get Rich by Felix Denis. He had a net worth over $1b and the book is amazing. Unsurprisingly, his mindset is oddly similar to MJ's in TMF book.

Tregan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 16, 2013
Source?

If he was actually worth anything he wouldn't be 70 years old slinging his cheasy and overpriced get-rich seminars, books etc. He's probably trying to pay off debts before he dies or something. He may have been "rude and crude" but he certainly did not know how to run a business.

Source?? yeah Google, and you say 1 transaction? hah, that's b.s. He's had hundreds of large transactions. Where are you getting your info from? Have you even watched any of his content? Apparently not, let me enlighten you:

In an 8-year period, starting with only $820, Mr. Peña grew Great Western Resources to $450 million while energy prices collapsed, the price of oil dropped from $40 to less than $8 per barrel and more than 10,000 energy companies in the US alone went out of business. During this massive energy decline GWRI grew a phenomenal 55 million percent.

Prior to Mr. Peña’s founding of GWRI, he was the Chairman of JPK Industries, Inc., a vertically integrated company in the petroleum industry, involved in oil and gas drilling, operating, production, crude oil refining and marketing. As cofounder he helped grow the company to $50,000,000 in three years. Prior to JPK Industries, he was with the investment banking firm of Bear Stearns and Co. where he advised clients throughout the US and internationally.

Last edited:

daivey

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Apr 6, 2014
not sure why you guys are hating on dan pena. he talks bout very similar stuff as MJ does.

as for the whole thing that people that cant do teach - just because hes running seminars doesn't mean he cant repeat his success.

Papillon

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Sep 10, 2013
Île Saint-Joseph French Guiana ~ UK!
I just stumbled upon Dan Pena's YT channel, [youtube.com/user/GuthrieGroup] and I must say I'm impressed there is some damn good stuff here mainly motivational, however its certainly NOT for the faint of heart as Mr Pena does use strong language!

I haven't been through this whole thread, agree with the above poster, no idea why folks would hate him...maybe cos of the F & C words?

His MAIN message is: FOCUS - Get a Mentor. Yes great advice, but he also states: do what you love follow your passion!

AND all us here who have read TMF know where that leads...

Case in point:
Last November 2014, a new restaurant was about to open in my local high street, I popped in to have a nosy around, the new owner must of spent a fortune on the refit, its also a big place by UK standards, anyway this biz is selling deserts/ice cream with beverages coffee, tea & shakes, 3 doors down he has Starbucks then opposite a few shops down Costa coffee! I gave this place a year or so to survive.

It opened in December, and when I pass by there is hardly a soul in the restaurant, they even have staff and they are FOXY girls giving out free samples to entice customers...

Walked by this place last week and its CLOSED down, can't even image what this owner must of lost, I reckon just for the refit alone £250,000 I mean the dude had a old rare retro Italian scooter mounted on the wall, the place was really done out posh...YES ''do what you love follow your passion'' NOT...!

Anyway, Dan knows his sh*t...here's a snippet:

In January 1982 Dan obtained $50 million in contracts with the US Federal Government with no other employees or office space … only a leased fax machine and a phone, in 1st year of business.

BTW, he is giving away all his materials away for FREE, he tells ya go to his site or search online and you'll find it.

He says the reason for doing this is: when he passes, he wants to be remembered as the worlds greateast mentor, also there is the TV media thing...

Folks here IF... when ya feeling down, head over and watch a video or two, YOU won't be disappointed!

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012

Tregan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 16, 2013
I just stumbled upon Dan Pena's YT channel, [youtube.com/user/GuthrieGroup] and I must say I'm impressed there is some damn good stuff here mainly motivational, however its certainly NOT for the faint of heart as Mr Pena does use strong language!

I haven't been through this whole thread, agree with the above poster, no idea why folks would hate him...maybe cos of the F & C words?

His MAIN message is: FOCUS - Get a Mentor. Yes great advice, but he also states: do what you love follow your passion!

AND all us here who have read TMF know where that leads...

Case in point:
Last November 2014, a new restaurant was about to open in my local high street, I popped in to have a nosy around, the new owner must of spent a fortune on the refit, its also a big place by UK standards, anyway this biz is selling deserts/ice cream with beverages coffee, tea & shakes, 3 doors down he has Starbucks then opposite a few shops down Costa coffee! I gave this place a year or so to survive.

It opened in December, and when I pass by there is hardly a soul in the restaurant, they even have staff and they are FOXY girls giving out free samples to entice customers...

Walked by this place last week and its CLOSED down, can't even image what this owner must of lost, I reckon just for the refit alone £250,000 I mean the dude had a old rare retro Italian scooter mounted on the wall, the place was really done out posh...YES ''do what you love follow your passion'' NOT...!

Anyway, Dan knows his sh*t...here's a snippet:

In January 1982 Dan obtained $50 million in contracts with the US Federal Government with no other employees or office space … only a leased fax machine and a phone, in 1st year of business.

BTW, he is giving away all his materials away for FREE, he tells ya go to his site or search online and you'll find it.

He says the reason for doing this is: when he passes, he wants to be remembered as the worlds greateast mentor, also there is the TV media thing...

Folks here IF... when ya feeling down, head over and watch a video or two, YOU won't be disappointed!

I found Dan last October and since then I've seen every QLA seminar video he has put out, read his 'First Hundred Million' book and his newest ebook, listened to every podcast he's been on, read his newsletters and connected with some of his mentees. I can say without a doubt that Dan Pena is a diamond in the rough, he is a rare individual in these times. He offends the faint of heart for a reason, the truth is hard to take some times. His methodology is solid for any daring to take the challenge. I have heard every personal development guru out there and none and I mean none compare to Dan. Go find his interview on London Real, it's golden!

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro

The other part of this story is that he made only 80,000 dollars profit on this 50 million dollar contract.

The lesson is to understand why he didn't care much about the profit.

Tregan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 16, 2013
The other part of this story is that he made only 80,000 dollars profit on this 50 million dollar contract.

The lesson is to understand why he didn't care much about the profit.

Interesting......I'm curious H. Palmer, why do you think he didn't care about the profit?

bob johnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 15, 2015
you guys must be dumb as bricks.

Paying for information content in this day and age. lol.

D

DeletedUser397

You have a lot to learn buddy. A lot of information these days is still valuable to pay for. Don't knock something until you've read it. Not just this book, but there's plenty of premium courses and material that can help take you to another level.

If you're truly not willing to pay to learn, then you're not investing in yourself. Not everything is free. Most quality content is not free. Not to say that you can't find good free info, but most really good quality information, such as courses and books are not free. Did MJ give away his book for free? I'd love to see where you found his book for free.

H. Palmer

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 12, 2011
Fastlane Metro

If you seriously mean what you're saying here, you must be a very poor guy.

People only value what they pay for. Lessons are only learned when they hurt.

Dan Pena's material is about the best on the planet.

It is your choice to honor it as such and reap the benefits.

Or degrade its value and stay in the same position financially.

Last edited:

Tregan

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Jul 16, 2013
If you seriously mean what you're saying here, you must be a very poor guy.

People only value what they pay for. Lessons are only learned when they hurt.

Dan Pena's material is about the best on the planet.

It is your choice to honor it as such and reap the benefits.

Or degrade its value and stay in the same position financially.

I couldn't have said it any better!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.