The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

YOUR 2012 - In ONE Sentence

St.Alpine

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 6, 2012
Germany
2012 achievements

A
Goal for 2012 was to
put everything into action what I've learned
and that's what I did.

B
I hit my milestone by getting my first customer well before the 1.November
which was my initial goal. Now it's up to increasing revenue and
establishing systems to streamline the business.

The next target is to establish a steady income stream to give
me the backing and security for future ventures.
I didn't post for some time now, because I worked on the
business day in day out. Talking about balance:rofl:

C
I learned more about webdesign, coding,
hosting, IM strategies as I would've just read books.

D
I established a small webdesign agency for smb
in my local area and already had 2 paying customers
when open up shop.
I am currently creating their business portfolio.
One is a large hair dresser chain in my area.
Projects range from 800 to 1500 €. Will increase that as I am
establishing a portfolio.
That will help me accumulate a side income and give me the opportunity to
learn more about coding, SEO, SEM, IM and webdesign as I earn money at the same time.

E
Working together with people via Elance
gave me a valid and good experience how to interact
with people who work for you.
This will be relevant for future ventures.
Beeing precise, on point
and knowing exactly what you want from the
other person is essential.

For 2013 the short term goals are clear:

Business

More buyers, more revenue. Establishing the brand.
Establish a steady income stream.
I like to work on one thing only. Because the more I work on it,
the greater the chances become that I'll succeed eventually.

College
I send out an application for the Goldman Sachs
Summer Internship program in London and Frankfurt,
to have the possibility to work along some bright minds and
learn alot.

For my degree we are doing a 3 months internship
and write a 3 months bachelor thesis for company.
I am currently looking into the brazilian internet start up
scene to find promising looking companies to work for.

Finish my last 4 exams this year in February, so
I can concentrate on working towards my longterm
goal achieving my target number :).

Epiphany?

1) Go out and do it! It's never perfectly right. How long
do you want to wait?

2) You learn a lot more when you do it, instead of
reading books over and over.
Don't get me wrong, you need them in the
beginning, but when you actually built something
you don't have the time to read a whole book.

You'll become selective. Reading just the stuff you
currently need to push your company forward.

Although I am an ADIDAS fanboy,
I'll end with: Just do it!

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What is your 2012 mission statement?

• Please give us ONE SENTENCE, with no back story or explanation. Why? Focused, concise, and clear. We should be able to read your mission statement and understand where you are heading with no further explanation. Consider this your "elevator sentence" for 2012.
  • Give your summary sentence some thought. Give us your best shot.
  • No using the word "fastlane." We assume this is what you are working towards, or you wouldn't be here. For this thread, lets ban the word "fastlane" or every post would be "launching my fastlane XYZ..."
  • Your mission sentence should be tangible and obtainable. "Opening my bakery in San Antonio on March 1st" is concrete. "Hopefully launching some sort of eCommerce or Social networking web site if I can learn how to program" is not. Give us one sentence that crystallizes where you are heading.
  • Followup comments should be positive ONLY. Do not shit on someone else's dream, no matter your opinion. If you have nothing nice to say (for this thread only, but maybe for life in general) keep your thoughts to yourself.
  • Speed is encouraged to be awarded for any mission sentence that you feel meets the above criteria. Let's help propel people into 2012.
  • Hopefully we will get 100% participation from anyone who reads this thread. We are interested in your future... that is part of the reason why we are here! Please join the discussion and anticipate some encouragement as you navigate towards your dreams.
Good luck! - Dave

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
In 2012, I will expand my company's brand to 40 models, and secure physical retail store distribution in all 50 of the United States.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
I'll play.

In 2012 I will create a seminar based on an extraordinary lifestyle, produce and launch 10 new products in the personal development arena, and kick my speaking career into overdrive.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
In 2012, I will complete the production of my first product and get it into as many retail stores as possible in hopes to be picked up by a big chain retailer such as Home Depot or Lowe's while also planning the development of product #2.

Good Luck Everyone!

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
In 2012, I will make at least 100 mistakes in my first business venture and learn not to repeat them when I move on to bigger and better things.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Flip back through this thread and take note of how many "New years eve" resolution posters there were in this thread. MJ did a blog post on this early in 2012. Maybe half of the posters in this thread? Hard to tell. Did you play all the way through your goals in 2012 or did posting about them make you feel like you were taking action. Did it go any farther than that? So many of the posters on this thread are parked… Indicating either they left the forum or slid back into mediocrity... Or both. Let the graveyard of posters that flamed out in 2012 inspire you to take action lest you become one of them in 2013.

SlimTycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2012
Hey Cparsons, thanks for the question.

Buying them. Just a FYI, I've spent that last 12 years of my career as a Mergers and Acquisitions adviser. My background is Finance-Leveraged buyouts, mergers, acquisitions and private equity. Once you get a taste of how deals get done, starting businesses from scratch becomes an after thought. I wanted to mention just to add some perspective.

I have no desire whatsoever to get involved with start-ups. I'm not a start-up kind of guy. I know about going concerns. I selected $25 million because it's a good starting point but over time the purchases will be bigger and should be. You can grow a $25 million business to $300 million in 3 years. Sell it and cash out. That's my plan. Rinse and repeat. The amount of opportunities that are available to the savvy business person or financier is staggering.

I hope that answers your question.

Good luck!

SlimTycoon

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jan 8, 2012
This. I hate starting from scratch. I keep doing it though...

Some businesses are great for starting from scratch. Assuming that it is innovative. I would not start a business from scratch especially if there are similar businesses available to buy. That includes e-commerce.

MOST businesses that people want to start are not innovative.

I like going concerns because you IMMEDIATELY start collecting cash flow and entering fragmented industries means there is a lot of room for building a BIG business through consolidations and mergers.

Blockbuster, AutoNation, Waste Management, Cardinal Health,etc......were all built that way.

I'm a big business guy because that's the environment that I've worked in. I don't like small business and all of the "conventional wisdom" people preach about "small business".

Big businesses get big from buying other businesses, not running PPC ads, sending out sales letters, doing SEO, territory sales reps, etc.....that's internal growth.

External growth is where the money is. Leave the internal growth stuff the the "so-called" marketing "experts"( and I use the term experts loosely) and your marketing director.

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
In 2012, I will launch a successful online business and/or create a passive income stream.

I just wanted to come back to this thread and update my 2012 progress so far. I have gone from around 2k a month to over 10k a month by running a successful online business. I have outsourced almost everything already, and I am free to travel and do as I please since it's completely based online. My next goal is to increase this amount to 20k+ a month, and the possibilities of doing just that are very promising.

Thank you MJ and the fastlane for reaffirming my long held belief that this time in my life has always been possible. Good luck to every other member of this forum who is taking steps to achieve their 2012 goals.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
My 2012 was interesting.

First of all, my business idea that I had talked about earlier in this thread was scrapped in early 2012 because it didn't fulfill a need of any kind. In the summer, I launched a new service.

I haven't had a paying customer, however I have had people use the site and have had potential customers who were interested in the service. I registered my first business and now have a month to get my first customer so I can say that I got my first customer is 2012. If I don't, I won't be angry.

I moved cities and started a new life. I started my blog and learned a LOT about myself. And yet, there's still so much more to learn.

What an awesome year. Here's to 2013 being an even better one than the last! :cheers:

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Increase the number of my customers and net revenue 100%.

Did increase number of customers and net revenue 18%. Was poised for more growth in 2012, however, 2012 really became a story of survival for my business. I lost 50% of my tenants in May-June and had to do quite a bit of clean up, updating, and prep work. The growth came in the last few months. Funny how life gets in the way sometimes.

Warchild

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Jun 26, 2010
England
My wife, children and I are well and healthy with no worries, so thats another good end to a year.

Remember, this is the important bit, the money making is a game to pass the time.

MMatt

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Nov 14, 2011
I said I wanted to work towards passive income. Vague but I took some steps. My passive income for the year was $0. However in the year I have worked on my people skills, read a ton of information, played around with several platforms of e-commerce software and am now building a niche based e-commerce store to test the marked before going all in. About three months ago I was stressing over how to afford the up front costs of a business before knowing if it will succeed. Now I learned the concept that you must establish a need before investing your time and money.

ambition21

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 30, 2012
While I did not become familiar with this forum until very recently, my new years resolution last year was to get in fitness model shape (six pack, put on muscle, etc.), start my first website, and complete the 52 books in 52 weeks challenge. Mission accomplished. :D

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
One guy in the comments said he should've done it
1-2 more years.
You definitely learn a lot there, although the work load
is tremendous.

Well, you learn how to put together pitch books and how to do financial modelling. Its really useful if you want to stay in the finance world, but outside of the industry you don't necessary need to know how to build advanced financial models in excel. Investment bankers get great corporate jobs etc after an analyst stint because the employers know that they are workhorses. You won't learn anything entrepreneurial there. And yes, the workload is crazy. I just did a 8 week internship but had a couple allnighters in there (although some voluntary: work -> club -> shower in gym -> back to work without going home ;)). I always loved the deal-making aspect about IB (which only comes at the VP+ level), which is why I'm getting into commercial real estate brokerage now, which is basically the same function/role as IB, just with properties instead of companies, earlier responsibility and an entrepreneurial environment.

Bo_

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
15%
Apr 24, 2011
In 2012, I will learn PHP, MYSQL, C++, Java in college, outsource for the very first time and continue doing it on a regular basis, hit $20K/month, actually $50K/month would only make my happy, get into DotA's competitive scene, be in TOP 16 of SMM (a worldwide DotA competition), be more outgoing -- get to know 200 new people IRL, meh 200 sounds little maybe 400, join the student council and interest groups, go for business networking sessions, join a business club around my area, perform popping on stage, learn hiphop and some krumping. Get 6 pack abs, broader arms. Continue reading 2-3 books/month. Damn I have so many goals......

Is this allowed..?

Okay, sorry.

In 2012, I will transform my family's "home business", hitting at least 500 orders/month, (it's at about 10/month now lol..), then I will kickstart my own business by leveraging the customer base, hitting $50K/month by the end of the year.

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
May 21, 2011
Work hard.

The Spark

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Jul 10, 2011
NH, USA
By June 2012 I will see a minimum of $10,000 profit from offline flipping in order to secure inventory for an e-commerce venture.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.