The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wow, this is exactly what I was seeking

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
Hello everyone, I am a new member to this forum and have been craving the knowledge that this forum has to offer. Hopefully, as time progesses, I too will be able to impart some of my own. Currently, I am a 27 year-old attorney in Los Angeles, but my goal is to become a full-time real estate investor/trader.

Anyway, I am looking forward to learning and making some good friends. I usually frequent automotive forums, but I think this will be a much better use of my time. :thumbsup:

Take care everyone!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Welcome. What type of attorney are you? (please say RE attorney ;) )

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome and ditto, type of attorney?

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
Actually, not RE, but business litigation. :( So, I don't have that working for me, but I guess if my deals fall through... ;)

I work in a large firm which has a strong RE practice so I have the resources/friends if necessary, but yes, it would be easier on me if I was a transactional attorney. I enjoy litigating, but I find the practice of law financially limiting (hence my desire to turn to real estate).

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Actually, not RE, but business litigation. :( So, I don't have that working for me, but I guess if my deals fall through... ;)

I work in a large firm which has a strong RE practice so I have the resources/friends if necessary, but yes, it would be easier on me if I was a transactional attorney. I enjoy litigating, but I find the practice of law financially limiting (hence my desire to turn to real estate).
How difficult would it be to change your specialty from business litigation to RE? Would it require another full stint at law school or just a couple classes...

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
How difficult would it be to change your specialty from business litigation to RE? Would it require another full stint at law school or just a couple classes...

Good question. It would not take more law school or more classes, but it would probably involve losing my level of experience/position in the firm and staring all over again. While that is not the worse thing, I do not think it will advance my end goal. The legal world falls into two categories: (1) litigators and (2) transactional attorneys. The skill sets do not necessarily transfer over so switching between them is usually not a good idea.

I actually took a few real estate and transactional classes in law school and I think that is sufficient for what I need. There is also quite a bit of continuing education classes I can attend and I can learn about RE law in other ways. Anyway, you do not need to be an RE attorney to be a RE investor, and I think my efforts should be focused in that direction. And I actually enjoy being a litigator, so that's a plus. :thumbsup:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Well, I think it is great to have somebody here that could raise a flag when something is not 'legally' right ;)

You are 150% correct. You don't need to be anything else than an investor to be a successful RE investor.

Welcome again to the fastlane.

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
I think many might be asking about the change because they may be thinking:
You are already in law (basic knowledge)
You can develope your own business in the area that you are drawn to (RE)
And with some experience...we'd all pay you for your advice!
We all need RE lawyers.

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
Well, I think it is great to have somebody here that could raise a flag when something is not 'legally' right ;)

For sure. I'd be glad to help. While I do not necessarily know the ins-and-outs of restructuring deals, I do know enough to pin-point issues.

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
I think many might be asking about the change because they may be thinking:
You are already in law (basic knowledge)
You can develope your own business in the area that you are drawn to (RE)
And with some experience...we'd all pay you for your advice!
We all need RE lawyers.

I see. I think I might be able to obtain that knowledge without changing my practice, but we'll see. Either way, my goal is that I will end up hiring RE lawyers of my own, not being one. ;) That being said, I'm glad to help whenever and however I can.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...