The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would people pay for this?

hlopez22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 3, 2012
Pay/donate to watch a video where the person will do a funny or gross task. Ex: Eat 30 worms, walk naked into a restaurant, etc.

I know there are free videos everywhere but I feel those are videos taken by accident. This will be prepared and expected to happen therefore should have a better quality.

thoughts?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You could make it into a show, or something. Since the people are being jackasses and doing stupid stuff, why not call it "Jackass"?

brob742

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Jan 18, 2012
Albuquerque, NM
You could make it into a show, or something. Since the people are being jackasses and doing stupid stuff, why not call it "Jackass"?

Always providing such great value. Since people are on this forum because they know there is a better way and are proactively trying to make something happen for themselves, why don't you lay off the sarcasm? This forum is supposed to support entrepreneurship, not belittle people for speaking up and posting.

People like you make lurkers stay lurkers.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Always providing such great value. Since people are on this forum because they know there is a better way and are proactively trying to make something happen for themselves, why don't you lay off the sarcasm? This forum is supposed to support entrepreneurship, not belittle people for speaking up and posting.

People like you make lurkers stay lurkers.

It was a joke. I didn't insult him or his idea. I was trying to get him to think in another direction.

I don't know if people would pay to see these videos. I wouldn't because I don't go searching for these videos. As far as having a crew take challenges and things like that, it may make for some good Internet entertainment. (And if that's your goal, Kickstarter is your friend). As far as making donations to said crew, I wouldn't do that. I'd be more pressed to make donations if these guys were doing things for charity, like eating a worm for every $10 they raised for breast cancer or something.

However, the OP may be onto something bigger than that here: videos like these spread like wildfire. Look to the popularity of the Cinnamon Challenge and the Ipecac Challenge videos. Businesses may pay to have these videos done, simply because shock value makes for good marketing.

hlopez22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 3, 2012
It would be more like this:

Challenge: Eat 50 live worms for $50.

Community raises the $50

Users sign up to compete in the challenge by performing the challenge and the website audience will then view the best videos and select who wins the $50.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
What you could do, is make a video site, where as soon as the person has a certain amount of donated money, they have to do the task.

example, as soon as we reach $1000.00, I will eat 30 worms.

Your site takes a cut of say 5-10%. The rest goes to the worm eater.

Sounds rediculous but it could work.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
CHALLENGEVIDS.ORG
is available. Just $6.99*

I actually like Lambo's idea more. A video site where people can host charitable campaigns that people can donate to. You can take a small cut of the donations. Bam! Fastlane AND serving the greater good. Kinda like UStream or something but geared more towards charity.

I think you got something big here.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Can't someone just watch old episodes of Fear factor if they want to see gross things like this.

Lot of free publicity you could get, just not sure a lot of people would pay, but then anything would be free money.

hlopez22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 3, 2012
Yeah I think the idea has potential. I asked the forum because two of my friends shot the idea down saying no one would pay for this even tho I feel that if it's a collective effort by the entire audience that the idea of paying wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

LamboMP

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Aug 13, 2007
Toronto
Can't someone just watch old episodes of Fear factor if they want to see gross things like this.

Lot of free publicity you could get, just not sure a lot of people would pay, but then anything would be free money.

"Hey Jack, Ill give you $10 to drink vinegar". Haven't you heard kids say this before? I hear it all the time. Ill give you $20 to eat that!

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
You would have to hold the money in escrow like kickstarter and then return the money if funding is not reached, you also need some serious liability insurance as MJ said, but overall, a jackass/fearfactor styled kickstarter.com is not a bad idea, you should also have a video library where successfully funded stunts can be viewed

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Have you ever seen epicmealtime on youtube? My 13 year old loves this show and they have a ton of people who watch, so I'd think your idea could go far. I mean seriously, the show is gross, gross sells.

EpicMealTime - YouTube

Sue

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Also, check fiverr.... I've seen people offering to sing anything while on a chicken costume... or things like that... all for $5, so that is another site to check, I believe.

hlopez22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 3, 2012
My vision of the site is similar to kickstarter and I have a website created on my local host so I'm not too far behind. I do need some tweaks and a better design but the function is there for now. The hardest part for me is a domain but I'll try my best to come up with something. Again thanks for the feedback

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I actually like this idea. Maybe you can also have a section where someone offers money to see someone do something. Like instead if a person posting saying "I'll eat 50 worms for $50", have a section where people can post and say "I'll pay $50 to watch someone eat 50 worms". You could do it both ways.

If you do this right, I think you might have something. I work in a firehouse and we're always doing silly stuff like that. Betting if they can finish a gallon of milk, eating a teaspoon of cinnamon, licking the dirty mop, etc.......

hlopez22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jan 3, 2012
Ok I did some trial and error in regards to domains and came up with two. Please send some feedback about them.

Bountydare.com
ClipCliq.com

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
you could do it "live" on qik or whatever video streaming site. Seeing something "live" gives it more interest, and can always archive it for post show views, links. Probably on a delay so it could be cut for any censored stuff or accidents.

I'd get a real good attorney to put whatever disclaimers, waivers, to reduce your liability. People could do some real stupid dangerous things for 50 bucks.

21elnegocio

WholeFlips Wholesaling Houses Virtually
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
56%
Feb 28, 2012
Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Sounds like a great idea man, just dont do stuff to stupid like walk naked. That would get you arrested, something more like people donate a certain amount and you climb mount Everest, or donate enough money and you go to Hawaii and do something crazy. Something like making you travel to a different state or even country if enough money, to do something insane.

futhey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 18, 2012
Yeah I think the idea has potential. I asked the forum because two of my friends shot the idea down saying no one would pay for this even tho I feel that if it's a collective effort by the entire audience that the idea of paying wouldn't be so bad. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Entrepreneurs solve problems. They don't just point them out and complain about them.

That being said, make sure you've identified the problems associated with your idea AND SOLVED THEM before you lose a bunch of money figuring it out as you go. Best of luck.

DennisD

Mini Media Mogul
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jun 16, 2012
Bali, Indonesia
This is how I would do it:
Anybody unregistered watching is called a "viewer," anybody who registered is titled a "player." The on screen talent are "contestants"

The show is based around 'bids.' All players are allowed to place a monetary bid which is attached to an action. Player Jim can place a $10 bid to eat worms. Player Amanda can place a $20 bid to go streaking. Whoever holds the highest bid at the end of the voting period wins, and the on-screen contestant has to do what they say for the money. (you'd keep a portion of it, which is how you'd profit.)

To spice things up a bit... players can add cash to the bids of others. So if Amanda was in the lead with $20 to go streaking, Kyle can donate an additional $15 to Jim's 'eat worms' bid, bringing it up to $25 in the lead. Only the people who donated to the top bid get charged.

This is a weekly show. The bidding takes place over the course of a week so the bid can grow to a few thousand dollars. A longer voting period also gives you time to gather materials, check with the legality of the stunt, and make sure the on-screen contestant is actually willing actually do it.

At the start of the week you do a "Meet the contestant" meet+greet. You have 3-10 contestants every week. We get a full breakdown of who they are... Likes, Dislikes, Fears, etc. Players bid for the entire week. The actual show has a host breaking down the top choices for each contestant, which won, a little 'pregame' interview, and them going through with it. The show concludes with the contestant introductions for next week.

Yes, this can start as a little web series, but I can imagine this thing being picked up by Spike TV and getting big if you execute it the right way and make the right connections.

Wozart

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jun 25, 2012
People do this on youtube all the time. except they do it for likes/subscribers basically to build their views up and get paid by youtube through views

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.