The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What makes people pay for mobile apps or not?

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

Breeze_Interface

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 17, 2019
I want to make mobile apps. I have the technical skills and alot of ideas for apps that would be useful to people. However, I'm having trouble in the monetization step because I'm having a hard time differentiating between useful products that people would pay for VS useful products that people wouldn't pay for. The latter, is a product that solves a pain point but the pain isn't sufficiently annoying for you to give your money away.

Because I intended on specializing in Android apps I've seen countless apps that are useful but I would never pay for. Most of the apps in this case will get monetized via ads instead of being behind a paywall.

We know that users on Android are less likely to pay for apps than those on iOS.

How to identify which category an app idea would fit in? (Especially the characteristics of an app that people would pay for)

I'm also aware that the third case is that you have basic functionnalities for free but can upgrade for more features or buy digital items. My question applies in this case aswell what makes the user decide to go further and spend money?

In my experience I have countless apps that uses this model but never ever felt a real need of upgrading so I just use the free tier. There is also the case when the free tier is so restricted that I just don't use/download the app. How to avoid my app of being in this case?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
People I interact with spend on in-app purchases. Especially in games. Need more points? $0.99. Need the next cool skin? $1.99. And so on.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
It's understandable for a game but what if your app is an utility app?
I think that’s a much harder wall to break. There is a different pleasure center in the brain for the instant gratification of points in a game. Perhaps adding a social aspect where the app works better if other people use it too, and even better if you pay to somehow benefit from their data/info/network etc.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Apps for business owners?

I’ve paid for timekeeping and task management apps. A few dollars is nothing if it’s going to help.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
My company has an app that steers farm equipment using our controller. The app is free but the controller is $4k. Contract your skills to build apps that interact with IOT devices and get the manufacturer to pay you for the app and any updates/bugfixes

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017