The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

What makes people pay for mobile apps or not?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

Breeze_Interface

New Contributor
Oct 17, 2019
I want to make mobile apps. I have the technical skills and alot of ideas for apps that would be useful to people. However, I'm having trouble in the monetization step because I'm having a hard time differentiating between useful products that people would pay for VS useful products that people wouldn't pay for. The latter, is a product that solves a pain point but the pain isn't sufficiently annoying for you to give your money away.

Because I intended on specializing in Android apps I've seen countless apps that are useful but I would never pay for. Most of the apps in this case will get monetized via ads instead of being behind a paywall.

We know that users on Android are less likely to pay for apps than those on iOS.

How to identify which category an app idea would fit in? (Especially the characteristics of an app that people would pay for)

I'm also aware that the third case is that you have basic functionnalities for free but can upgrade for more features or buy digital items. My question applies in this case aswell what makes the user decide to go further and spend money?

In my experience I have countless apps that uses this model but never ever felt a real need of upgrading so I just use the free tier. There is also the case when the free tier is so restricted that I just don't use/download the app. How to avoid my app of being in this case?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
People I interact with spend on in-app purchases. Especially in games. Need more points? $0.99. Need the next cool skin? $1.99. And so on.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
It's understandable for a game but what if your app is an utility app?
I think that’s a much harder wall to break. There is a different pleasure center in the brain for the instant gratification of points in a game. Perhaps adding a social aspect where the app works better if other people use it too, and even better if you pay to somehow benefit from their data/info/network etc.

Andy Black

Dad, Husband, Inbound Marketeer
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Apps for business owners?

I’ve paid for timekeeping and task management apps. A few dollars is nothing if it’s going to help.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
My company has an app that steers farm equipment using our controller. The app is free but the controller is $4k. Contract your skills to build apps that interact with IOT devices and get the manufacturer to pay you for the app and any updates/bugfixes

WillHurtDontCare

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
May 28, 2017
USA
Being emotional

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
This program helped me to triple my revenue over 7 months while also moving to a new city in the...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
Hi Fox, After reading your threat and watching some of your youtube I have several query ? 1...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
If you read the last message then you know I'm removing my courses from Udemy next month. You...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
PS. what do you think about the idea of setting up live Busking experiences on Air BNB? I could...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Hi Mj, I just bought it. And reading it. I think is a great idea to write using the stories to...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
@Kak Thanks for the reply. Whats interesting is that I have an idea that's been cooking which...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom