The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would Love to Hear Some "Aha!" Moments

Zachary Roark

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 27, 2014
United States
Hi everyone, first time poster here, and I just wanted to start by giving a shout-out to MJ for his spectacular book. I have read all of the usual suspects when it comes to wealth accumulation and personal development, but MJ’s book is head and shoulders above the rest in my opinion for its Red Pill attitude in regards to the subject of getting rich quick. Needless to say, thank you MJ for your fantastic piece of literature. It has opened my eyes and made me realize that I can’t rely on stocks and hedge funds to gain the wealth I want in the short time that I want it.

Here is a quick introduction for me: I am a 21 year old who is luckily about to graduate from college early this term with no debt thanks to shrewd parents. I am currently looking to get a software sales job and gain some cold-calling/selling selling experience while I am building a money-tree in my time away from work.

As of right now, my goals are to learn lower my sleeping time down to 4 hours since I know that work might take a good bit of time out of my day if I am in sales. I figure that if I can do it effectively, lowering my sleep time will increase the time I have to develop a business away from work. I am also interested in learning how to write copy/learn some marketing techniques for online advertising.

Here is the problem though: I am in state of analysis paralysis when it comes to figuring out what my money tree should be. I do know that I probably want to do online marketing, but I am not really sure what I would be doing specifically.

My question is this: there any Fastlane successes that would be willing to share their story of how they figured out what their Money Tree was going to be or have any advice for how I should find my own money tree? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S., any recommendations for books/courses on copy writing and online marketing would be appreciated as well!

Thanks,

Zachary

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
if you want to get into online marketing then I recommend the thread by @limitup You should be be to find it.

If you're thinking digital and not physical then clickbank can be a massive source of traffic

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Start with a need. Fix a problem. Find a customer. Not knowing where to start is a premise problem, not a procedural one. "I need to get from X to Y to sell Z" is pretty straightforward.

Welcome to the forum.

Zachary Roark

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 27, 2014
United States
Hey MJ, thanks for the advice.

Just to clarify, so would you say that finding the place to plant money tree is more of a matter keeping your eyes open for incoming opportunities and gaps that exist in the marketplace? And would you recommend learning skills such as the marketing that I mentioned in the meantime and then applying them when that opportunity presents itself?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I learned that I shouldn't think about just how many dollars something can make, and instead focus on generating something of value.

Ultimately something that's valuable will generate a lot of money.

Apple doesn't need to convince you that their products are valuable. While they will market it, people can readily experience how great their products are, and will shell out the money for it. Value is created first, then people give money.

Good luck man.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Here is the problem though: I am in state of analysis paralysis when it comes to figuring out what my money tree should be. I do know that I probably want to do online marketing, but I am not really sure what I would be doing specifically.

Something about your post took me back to my younger days. I still remember the feelings of being baffled by having so many options. Which advice is good and which is bad? Whose advice should I take? Which industry should I go into?

If I were to give advice to my 21-year old self, I'd recommend an introspective approach first.

1. What do I really want? What’s the outcome I’m after? What’s the specific measurable result? The more precise, the stronger it is.
The path you ultimately end up choosing will depend largely on this first set of questions. For example, if the goal is to make $1k/mo relatively passively then I'd start selling on Amazon via FBA or create an ecommerce store while outsourcing fulfillment.

2. What’s my purpose? What are my reasons? Why is this not just a “should,” but a must for me? The emotional quality of purpose makes what you will do not only sustainable, but powerful.
If possible, attach a certain emotion to your personal WHY. For example, a kid wants to start a biz so that he could get the money to buy a Lambo. On the surface that might be his WHY, but on a deeper level he wants the Lambo so he could feel excitement, high energy, and attention(I'm not saying all Lambo owners are like this. I'm just giving an example of the deeper emotional reasons for why we do things sometimes). If you say you want money simply to get money, the path is much more difficult because when the obstacles come(and they ALWAYS will) it's harder to keep grinding through without a deeper purpose linked to an emotion.

Emotion runs the world. Emotion is what causes you to get a girl pregnant at 16. Emotion causes you to quit your job because your boss is mean to you. Emotion causes you to walk away or run towards a certain relationship or friendship. Again, emotions shape our lives.

3. What do I need to do? What’s my massive action plan? Not just one or two things. Brainstorm a bunch of ideas. What are all the possibilities, so I can later decide which one has the most power?
After you've answered the first two questions VERY thoroughly, then you will be able to find your path and grind through it with far more confidence. The road is long and hard. You need the physical, mental, and emotional stamina to get to the end which is why your objective and deeper purpose must be in harmony. Those who miss this part end up jumping from one idea to the next without ever seeing just one thing through to the end.

P.S., any recommendations for books/courses on copy writing and online marketing would be appreciated as well!
If you want to take the shortcut for learning copy, just study the marketing materials of the big boys in your niche and observe the language/psychology involved. Imitate then innovate.

It's been almost 1 year and I still write copy for 30 minutes a day because of how important the skill is for driving sales. I haven't had to change my copy in a long time, but it's an important tool to always have sharpened because it helps you identify needs and opportunities.

As for learning online marketing, check out Traffic Blackbook as it's a good starting point. More importantly, start hanging out or Skyping with guys who are crushing it in that stuff. Proximity is so important and not stressed enough around here. I've been lucky enough to have been invited into an online group with a bunch of guys who rock at the online marketing process. It helps a lot when someone with experience grabs you by the hand and shows you the ropes so you can avoid a lot of the mistakes that newbies make.

Good luck, my brother. You're gonna rock the house.

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Welcome to the forum.

I'm exactly in the same boat as you but a year younger.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...