The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Would everyone living to 1000 years old make the slowlane viable?

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
I was thinking about the idea of working 40 years (over 50% of the average human life) just isn't the best thing for most people. But what if we lived to be 1000 years old?

I thought about what would change if we lived 2, 3 or maybe even 10 times as long as we do now.

I'm not sure much would change.

I think most people would be even slower to take action, because well, they just have so much time to do things. The slowlane would be preaching working even longer periods of time. 80, 160 or even 400 years to retire.

How would living 10 times longer change your life?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser84644

I was thinking about the idea of working 40 years (over 50% of the average human life) just isn't the best thing for most people. But what if we lived to be 1000 years old?

I thought about what would change if we lived 2, 3 or maybe even 10 times as long as we do now.

I'm not sure much would change.

I think most people would be even slower to take action, because well, they just have so much time to do things. The slowlane would be preaching working even longer periods of time. 80, 160 or even 400 years to retire.

How would living 10 times longer change your life?
Assuming we actually keep our youth far much longer, then it would give me more motivation and patience with the Fastlane actually. I wouldn't feel being in as much of a F*cking rush as much as I am now (Yes, I have to really feel that way in order to ensure that life does not flash before my eyes). I don't want to get into too much detail over how my psychology works regarding that (It's quite embarrassing actually, as my username is faux pas after all XD). But if you really want to know, just DM me.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Man this is too much. I do not like to make assumptions unless it's viable
Worry about you and your future.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

No, because everyone would be in the same boat. The slowlane dupes everyone into following the same path, meaning that they would all have the same 1000 year lifespan to "compound" at, making the returns worthless.

Meanwhile a fastlaner could start, sell, or grow as many businesses as they please.

Imagine this for a second: let's say the best you can get in the slowlane is an annualized 12%. You start with $100,000 and your buddy starts with $200,000. No matter if you wait for 100, 200, or 1 million years, you will never catch your buddy because you're both in the same boring slowlane vehicle.

It just won't make you rich. It might help you avoid poverty. That's about it.

If everyone has 1,000 years of compounded growth, then why would you have any new advantage? It doesn't change anything, it's all relative, and everyone is in the same boat. Nothing different.

Last edited by a moderator:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think it would make retirement obsolete. If you lived to 500 even, you couldn’t make enough money to feel secure. Even Elon Musk will still have to keep working!

All our timeframes would just get stretched further.

And then we’d all die because the earth would become over populated way too fast!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Odd hypothetical question. I think if we lived to a 1000 years, the world would look much different, and I'm guessing, humans as a species would be more enlightened and no so enraptured by "my life sucks" entertainment distractions.

Think about that... Nikola Tesla, Henry Ford, Einstein, and some of the greatest minds would still be alive. Just having those 3 people alive and productive would have a dramatic effect on the world. But the entire global population? We'd be far more advanced.

ljean

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 22, 2017
USA
I think return on investments would be driven down to much lower rates if people lived longer.

Ivex

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Mar 26, 2021
We'd have much longer time preferences, making us more willing to invest in innovative enterprises that may take decades for their technology to become profitable. This would massively increase technological development and likely the slowlane system would cease to exist.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.