The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

WIX vs Having a professional create a website

Ksalazar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Sep 16, 2018
Rhode Island
Hello Everyone

I am starting to build my first business. However have been looking into having a professional create my website. I have heard of WIX however I have never used it also I am aware that godaddy is not the best for website creation. My key focus is to create a website that is simple easy to browse through but that also allows me to obtain emails, data, and other useful information for future conversations. SEO is important however it will not be my only area of focus for marketing I am looking to create a website however that will allow me to rank up on the search engines in my home state and key area of operations at the moment. So that I can dominate my keywords in my niche. Would WIX be effective at allowing me to do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
I don't know about wix.
But you should buy from any good websost like bluehost or godaddy , install wordpress.

Buy a good pro theme and all is well.

Later you can increase your hosting storage , RAM or move to VPS.

I don't think wix will will offer scaling , go for wordpress.

Ksalazar

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Sep 16, 2018
Rhode Island
I don't know about wix.
But you should buy from any good websost like bluehost or godaddy , install wordpress.

Buy a good pro theme and all is well.

Later you can increase your hosting storage , RAM or move to VPS.

I don't think wix will will offer scaling , go for wordpress.

I will dig in deeper I will likely find a professional and have them help with the creation. I appreciate the help.

shubham525

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Jul 16, 2015
India
I use godaddy and I have faced like a few issues every now and then.

But their chat and call support is very responsive and quick.

Same for bluehost.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Chirag

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jul 28, 2018
India
Hello Everyone

I am starting to build my first business. However have been looking into having a professional create my website. I have heard of WIX however I have never used it also I am aware that godaddy is not the best for website creation. My key focus is to create a website that is simple easy to browse through but that also allows me to obtain emails, data, and other useful information for future conversations. SEO is important however it will not be my only area of focus for marketing I am looking to create a website however that will allow me to rank up on the search engines in my home state and key area of operations at the moment. So that I can dominate my keywords in my niche. Would WIX be effective at allowing me to do?

It depends try wordpress but if you want to really dominate your niche and it's competitive go for professional start with WordPress or wix when you start improving turn it into professional you'll really dominate then in a chapter of millionaire fastlane Mj said "Look big act small" Most of people would collaborate with you which they wouldn't have In a unprofessional website also your audience will look you as an expert

Gary

Elevatin' the Celebratin'
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Mar 18, 2011
San Diego
For the past year I've used Wix for my new event space. But now one year in, I'm having my webmaster re-create the site in Wordpress. Wix was fine initially, but the load times are too slow.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Most hosting services like GoDaddy, HostGator and NameCheap offer 1-click-install for WordPress. You don't need to be an expert. Watch one tutorial on YouTube on setupping WordPress and you're done.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Just checked.... still dominating on my sites from Weebly :) Actually, I finally am #1 on the 1st page of Google for several relevant search terms in the town I could never get ranked in for a few years. I reworked it several months ago and it finally kicked in. I just wish Weebly would do a few more things.

But, I'm going to learn Wordpress. I have a simple site and I am not against the world. Every site I have is local only... although, there are a few nation wide names in competition with a few of them but like I've said before.... when they build it too complicated, I can dominate with simplicity..... locally of course.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
WordPress + Elementor is all you need.
I cannot but rave about what a total breakthrough in the world of web design Elementor is.

This is truly the productocracy of all productocracies in the modern web design world, and we're not even talking about the Pro version.

Megan Kay

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Nov 27, 2018
Whenever I see a Wix site, I'm inclined to instantly dismiss it as unprofessional. I personally can't stand Wix, but in my farm stuff, I see TONS of sites created there. Cookie cutter, slow loading and just ick.

Wordpress is very easy to learn. Hosting is very inexpensive. I pay $8/mo for multiple sites and have been very pleased with load times/support response since switching from HostGator to MediaServe.

If I were you, I'd steer clear of any free and hosting branded sites and just build my own from the beginning. You can see from the responses in this thread that you'll most likely eventually go there anyway, might as well bite the bullet from day 1.

Paladin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
379%
Oct 23, 2018
It's a testimonial to WIX marketing that everyone is asking about them lately. I got an email about them last week. Maybe I'm a dinosaur, but I've been using Wordpress since 2009 when I switched over from Blogger.

If you're really struggling with code, then using a builder like that is a good place to start. Just know that eventually, you might outgrow the platform.

But ya, WordPress + Elementor = Rock solid

SvvyDO

Shooting til it hits
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 5, 2015
San Jose, CA
You're always going to teeter-totter a bit from having total control of everything on the website & having a longer learning curve on one side of the spectrum to having less control of the side & having a shorter learning curve on the other.

That being said, wordpress still isn't very difficult to learn. There's a tremendous amount of free information you can find on youtube, and if you ever run into difficulties, you're almost always going to be able to find the solution to it unless it's something that's very specific to you (which 99% of the time won't be unless you're digging in and writing your own code with plugins & modules).

IMO, wix is okay, but you're far too limited in the things you can do. If you're going to get into web development, might as well do it right the first time. You don't want to learn wix, and as you learn more, find out how limited you are in doing things, and switch over to wordpress later only to have to learn everything all over again.

The above recommendations are really great starting points to find what works for you. Wordpress + Divi is awesome, Wordpress + Elementor is also awesome, and as for me, I use Wordpress + Generatepress + beaverbuilder and I'm able to accomplish anything I want with this while also having the option to sell easy to use professional grade websites to clients if I ever wanted to go in that path.

Good luck :thumbsup::smile2:

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
How are these for ecommerce compared to shopify?

Customization wise, WordPress + Elementor gives you way more control over the look and feel of the site.

In terms of shipping options, Shopify has some limitations and their plugins cost you $ monthly as opposed to WordPress plugins which are either free, freemium or available for a low yearly cost (which you can still use after 1 year if you don't pay, but has no updates or support after that).
So generally speaking, Shopify costs more to run.

Where Shopify does excel in is its page load speed. I have done some testing on this against some of the better WordPress shared hosting out there, namely Siteground, A2Hosting and InMotion.

While the Shopify sites tend to be very large (some Shopify home pages are freaking > 12 MB according to GTMetrix), but when loading, they appear instantly. I'm not sure what kind of hosting basic Shopify stores are running on but they're FAST af. Seems to be even faster than VPS hosting.

If you just want to setup shop fast, go with Shopify and get BoosterTheme.io.
That theme is built and optimized for ecommerce and comes with quite a bit of Fear-of-missing-out widgets all over the single product pages to increase conversion.

If you're doing WordPress, chances are that you'll be using WooCommerce for the shop side and Woocommerce is a slow slow dinosaur lol.

I'm currently studying another type of hosting like Cloudways which runs on digital ocean/aws.

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
You're always going to teeter-totter a bit from having total control of everything on the website & having a longer learning curve on one side of the spectrum to having less control of the side & having a shorter learning curve on the other.

That being said, wordpress still isn't very difficult to learn. There's a tremendous amount of free information you can find on youtube, and if you ever run into difficulties, you're almost always going to be able to find the solution to it unless it's something that's very specific to you (which 99% of the time won't be unless you're digging in and writing your own code with plugins & modules).

IMO, wix is okay, but you're far too limited in the things you can do. If you're going to get into web development, might as well do it right the first time. You don't want to learn wix, and as you learn more, find out how limited you are in doing things, and switch over to wordpress later only to have to learn everything all over again.

The above recommendations are really great starting points to find what works for you. Wordpress + Divi is awesome, Wordpress + Elementor is also awesome, and as for me, I use Wordpress + Generatepress + beaverbuilder and I'm able to accomplish anything I want with this while also having the option to sell easy to use professional grade websites to clients if I ever wanted to go in that path.

Good luck :thumbsup::smile2:
So WordPress offers 3 options now as the basic package , intermediary and premium. Do you suggest the premium version from the get go? I've only previously used Weebly and Wix but the support and capabilities of WordPress seem too good to pass up.

Just wondering if the premium version is what your recommend of just any version plus Divi for example

Thanks!

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
So WordPress offers 3 options now as the basic package , intermediary and premium. Do you suggest the premium version from the get go? I've only previously used Weebly and Wix but the support and capabilities of WordPress seem too good to pass up.

Just wondering if the premium version is what your recommend of just any version plus Divi for example

Thanks!

The basic wordpress is all you need. The theme and plugins will be doing 90% of the work and the look.

I use Divi. It has a learning curve, but once you get that, it's pretty intuitive. Their support is slow, but good. I have ran into brick walls a couple of times that I had no idea of where to start - and neither did several "pros" that I consulted. Divi figured it out, but it took a few days. They have chat, which they never answer, but they will email you back the next day, two, or three.

With all of that said, I heavily researched all the ones listed here. Elementor is the best, but it has an ongoing yearly fee. Divi has stunning templates, and a lot of them - about 85 last I heard, and it is a one time lifetime fee of $225 or so. I can build as many websites as I want to from their templates. I've already built two. I'm designing about 30 landing pages, so I consider their product to be of great value. I have had several people ask me to build a site for them - and I sure have the templates to do it, so I'm set. After some courses to give me more understanding, I may pursue building sites.

IF you are in tuned to websites, there are a lot of YouTube videos that are very helpful. For me, just starting out, I had to crawl before I could walk, so it was a frustrating experience. Now that I know much more, it is great to have such sweeping power at my disposal.

You can't go wrong no matter what you choose if you stay with Wordpress as the base. I have grown to really appreciate Divi and would highly recommend it. That's from a novice, so take it for what it's worth. All I know is that it works, and I don't have to code. I do insert code for a opt-in form I create in Aweber for CRM marketing - but that's easy to do as all I do is paste it in - but that's a different topic.

Hope that helps ~

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
The basic wordpress is all you need. The theme and plugins will be doing 90% of the work and the look.

I use Divi. It has a learning curve, but once you get that, it's pretty intuitive. Their support is slow, but good. I have ran into brick walls a couple of times that I had no idea of where to start - and neither did several "pros" that I consulted. Divi figured it out, but it took a few days. They have chat, which they never answer, but they will email you back the next day, two, or three.

With all of that said, I heavily researched all the ones listed here. Elementor is the best, but it has an ongoing yearly fee. Divi has stunning templates, and a lot of them - about 85 last I heard, and it is a one time lifetime fee of $225 or so. I can build as many websites as I want to from their templates. I've already built two. I'm designing about 30 landing pages, so I consider their product to be of great value. I have had several people ask me to build a site for them - and I sure have the templates to do it, so I'm set. After some courses to give me more understanding, I may pursue building sites.

IF you are in tuned to websites, there are a lot of YouTube videos that are very helpful. For me, just starting out, I had to crawl before I could walk, so it was a frustrating experience. Now that I know much more, it is great to have such sweeping power at my disposal.

You can't go wrong no matter what you choose if you stay with Wordpress as the base. I have grown to really appreciate Divi and would highly recommend it. That's from a novice, so take it for what it's worth. All I know is that it works, and I don't have to code. I do insert code for a opt-in form I create in Aweber for CRM marketing - but that's easy to do as all I do is paste it in - but that's a different topic.

Hope that helps ~
That helps a lot. Thanks for your feedback! One of the things I'm concerned about is the name of the site if I don't buy the premium version. I want to make sure I don't have "xxxx.wordpress.com" have you dealt with this ? It comes off a bit unprofessional to me. Maybe I'm mistaken but when reviewing the packages the premium mentioned the capability to get rid of it. The basic did not.

Does Divi solve this by chance?

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden

Thanks!

I assume you're talking about Wordpress.com, their hosted solution. Don't get that. Almost everyone I've talked to who signed up with it wanted a refund.

These guys talk about wordpress.org, which you can download for free and store at a host on your own.

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
I assume you're talking about Wordpress.com, their hosted solution. Don't get that. Almost everyone I've talked to who signed up with it wanted a refund.

These guys talk about wordpress.org, which you can download for free and store at a host on your own.
Wow thats great insight! Thanks for the response. You are correct. Now I can refer to some of the actual other hosts mentioned throughout the thread. Makes much more sense.

Any specific reasons why people you know usually wanted a refund ?

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Wow thats great insight! Thanks for the response. You are correct. Now I can refer to some of the actual other hosts mentioned throughout the thread. Makes much more sense.

Any specific reasons why people you know usually wanted a refund ?
Here's some info from themselves:
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org Hosting Options

The .org is open source, so you can do whatever you want with it. You can install any theme and plugin that exists. You can choose any webhost you like, a cheap one for $1 a month or a blazing fast one.

.Com only lets you install a fraction of the existing Wordpress plugins -- those that exist in their repository. I don't think you can use Divi, Elementor or the like, they're restricted to wordpress.org. So custom design is a no-no. If you want more storage, a new theme or remove ad links, you pay extra for that.

Personally, I'd say Wordpress.com might work for a person who just wants their own blog without any need for customization and control. Anyone else should consider .org first. Especially if you're starting a business website.

This post gives a good overview:
WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org — What’s the Difference?

Zenoviy Kovtun

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jan 29, 2017
Here's some info from themselves:
WordPress.com vs WordPress.org Hosting Options

The .org is open source, so you can do whatever you want with it. You can install any theme and plugin that exists. You can choose any webhost you like, a cheap one for $1 a month or a blazing fast one.

.Com only lets you install a fraction of the existing Wordpress plugins -- those that exist in their repository. I don't think you can use Divi, Elementor or the like, they're restricted to wordpress.org. So custom design is a no-no. If you want more storage, a new theme or remove ad links, you pay extra for that.

Personally, I'd say Wordpress.com might work for a person who just wants their own blog without any need for customization and control. Anyone else should consider .org first. Especially if you're starting a business website.

This post gives a good overview:
WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org — What’s the Difference?
Thanks again! Really appreciate it. Will get to reading asap.

Jaden Jones

Igloo Builder
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Aug 22, 2018
Canada
That helps a lot. Thanks for your feedback! One of the things I'm concerned about is the name of the site if I don't buy the premium version. I want to make sure I don't have "xxxx.wordpress.com" have you dealt with this ? It comes off a bit unprofessional to me. Maybe I'm mistaken but when reviewing the packages the premium mentioned the capability to get rid of it. The basic did not.

Does Divi solve this by chance?

I think having a professional website name is a must. What i have always wondered though, is how do you get the website name you want? Is there a broker or something that acquires them for you?

Xeon

Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Since we're on the topic of Wordpress, Wordpress 5.0 will be released on 6 Dec with Gutenberg the F*cking shit.
I've been following this whole news all these while. The piece of crap is not even ready for release but Matt (the top guy at Wordpress) wants to push it out. According to some articles, this is due to some agenda at the upcoming WordCamp US meet.

Look at the plugin : Gutenberg and look at the Ratings star section. The number of 1 Stars is more than twice the 5 stars and they insist to release this before the holiday season. Complete disregard for many of the developers who told them to delay the release and wait till most of the bugs are fixed.
The 3rd-party WP theme developers and plugin authors are going to say goodbye to their holidays this Dec.

I can guarantee that many of the less-techie folks who're running their biz on Wordpress will have no idea what hit them, especially when they upgrade to 5.0 without knowing what's going on (some of the Managed Wordpress hosting companies push out upgrades and you can't stop it).

I've installed the Disable Gutenberg plugin and will delay the update. We'll see what happens during the 6 Dec - Jan 2019 period. Probably gonna be a shitstorm in the WP community.

Bishop

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Nov 9, 2017
California
Since we're on the topic of Wordpress, Wordpress 5.0 will be released on 6 Dec with Gutenberg the f*cking sh*t.
I've been following this whole news all these while. The piece of crap is not even ready for release but Matt (the top guy at Wordpress) wants to push it out. According to some articles, this is due to some agenda at the upcoming WordCamp US meet.

Look at the plugin : Gutenberg and look at the Ratings star section. The number of 1 Stars is more than twice the 5 stars and they insist to release this before the holiday season. Complete disregard for many of the developers who told them to delay the release and wait till most of the bugs are fixed.
The 3rd-party WP theme developers and plugin authors are going to say goodbye to their holidays this Dec.

Whoa. I was about to do a managed Wordpress install for a new site. I think im gonna hold off on that.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.