• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

WIX vs Having a professional create a website

Discussion in 'Ideas, Needs, Concept Feedback' started by Ksalazar, Dec 2, 2018.

1. jon.M

jon.M Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $235
    Here's some info from themselves:
    WordPress.com vs WordPress.org Hosting Options

The .org is open source, so you can do whatever you want with it. You can install any theme and plugin that exists. You can choose any webhost you like, a cheap one for $1 a month or a blazing fast one.

.Com only lets you install a fraction of the existing Wordpress plugins -- those that exist in their repository. I don't think you can use Divi, Elementor or the like, they're restricted to wordpress.org. So custom design is a no-no. If you want more storage, a new theme or remove ad links, you pay extra for that.

Personally, I'd say Wordpress.com might work for a person who just wants their own blog without any need for customization and control. Anyone else should consider .org first. Especially if you're starting a business website.

This post gives a good overview:
    WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org — What’s the Difference?

Zenoviy Kovtun likes this.
  2. Zenoviy Kovtun

Zenoviy Kovtun New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $110
    Thanks again! Really appreciate it. Will get to reading asap.

3. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $577

I think having a professional website name is a must. What i have always wondered though, is how do you get the website name you want? Is there a broker or something that acquires them for you?

4. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,900
    Since we're on the topic of Wordpress, Wordpress 5.0 will be released on 6 Dec with Gutenberg the f*cking sh*t.
    I've been following this whole news all these while. The piece of crap is not even ready for release but Matt (the top guy at Wordpress) wants to push it out. According to some articles, this is due to some agenda at the upcoming WordCamp US meet.

Look at the plugin : Gutenberg and look at the Ratings star section. The number of 1 Stars is more than twice the 5 stars and they insist to release this before the holiday season. Complete disregard for many of the developers who told them to delay the release and wait till most of the bugs are fixed.
    The 3rd-party WP theme developers and plugin authors are going to say goodbye to their holidays this Dec.

I can guarantee that many of the less-techie folks who're running their biz on Wordpress will have no idea what hit them, especially when they upgrade to 5.0 without knowing what's going on (some of the Managed Wordpress hosting companies push out upgrades and you can't stop it).

I've installed the Disable Gutenberg plugin and will delay the update. We'll see what happens during the 6 Dec - Jan 2019 period. Probably gonna be a sh*tstorm in the WP community.

FiftySeven likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $548
    Whoa. I was about to do a managed Wordpress install for a new site. I think im gonna hold off on that.

Xeon likes this.
  6. Real Deal Denver

Real Deal Denver Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,164
    That is right.

Wordpress.org is the fully powered "commercial" version that host companies include in their services. It has tons of plugins and themes - whereas the .com version does not. With the com version, you are very much on your own without the massive add-on plugins and themes that make WordPress so versatile.

You will be able to have your website be anything you want it to be with the .org version as well. No branding will be included in your URL. I believe with the .com version it DOES include the WP branding in your URL.

I don't know a lot about the .com version because I went right for the "full powered" version. I also recommend you buy "Teach Yoursellf VISUALLY WordPress" from Amazon. The series of the "Visual" guides are solid gold. It is an automatic purchase for me anytime I get a new program, PC, etc. YouTube videos are good as a get up to speed supplement, but don't have as much info as these series of books do. Combine them both and you'll be up and running in only a day or two.

Jello likes this.
  7. Bru

Bru New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $72
    Hi just posting a quick contribution based on my experience and opinion.

I ve been building website since a few years and I ve worked with Wix and WordPress, and...(suspens)

Wix is only about marketing, all their communication is about 3-clicks website and beautiful design. Actually, it’s limited and the result is often unprofessional. I have many people contacting me be because they ended up being disappointed with their wix website.

To start I would recommend the following:
    1) A hosting service (just check where their servers are as it impacts SEO at some extend - don t take bluehost if you are in Europe for example)
    2) Install wordpress (lot of hosting services allow a 1click wordpress installation)
    3) In wordpress Dashboard, click on appearance and then look for theme that matches your expectations in term of design (make sure to preview before you install and activate)
    4) Customize the theme with your info
    5) In Plugins section, look for Elementor, install and activate it
    6) When you open a page click on "Edit with Elementor"

There you go, a world of possibilities is then inviting you :)

Wordpress + Elementor make it simple and robust, moreover there are plenty of tutorials to guide you.

For further questions, let me know.
    Good luck

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 1:57 PM
    Required and jasoncuellar123 like this.
  8. Az_47

Az_47 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $40
    If your new, use shopify. It’s the most expensive but easiest to set up. As you work your way, you will thank me for it later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bru likes this.
  9. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,985
    You type in the name that you want. Then it says "This domain is available" and there you go...

minivanman likes this.
  10. Jaden Jones

Jaden Jones Igloo Builder Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $577
    But what if its not available, but I know its not an active website...

11. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,900
    Google "domain name brokers". These are people / services that help people buy domains which are taken. It won't be cheap though. In many cases, you'll be looking at a minimum of 3 digits excluding the broker fee. But lots of times, it'll be 4, 5 or higher digits.

Or do a whois search on the domain you want. Sometimes the domain name owner's contact info will be there and you can contact him directly to negotiate.

Jaden Jones likes this.
  12. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $577
    I figured 3 digits, 4 digits is a bit ridiculous. I did the whois search and it looks like they bought it in 2006 and it expires in march 2019. Should I try to wait it out and snag it when it expires. I feel like I would get it cheap since it expires soon.

Xeon likes this.
  13. Xeon

Rep Bank:
    $7,900
    But what if they decided to renew in Jan 2019 for another 5 years? :somber:

14. Jaden Jones

Rep Bank:
    $577
    Then I guess I would have to buy it...

minivanman and Xeon like this.
  15. rogue synthetic

rogue synthetic * Not actually Rutger Hauer Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,527
    I don't mean to paint with a broad brush, but from my experience domain brokers -- people who buy domains and sit on them hoping for people like you to come along -- are ruthless about selling the properties they're squatting on.

Expect to pay at least four figures, and don't be surprised if it hits five.

It might help to be aware of ICANN's policy on domain squatting: About Cybersquatting - ICANN

No guarantees, but I had some success once using this as leverage over a particularly stubborn squatter.

Jello, Jaden Jones and Xeon like this.
  16. Xeon

Rep Bank:
    $7,900
    Tbh, for JadenJones's case, it's better to just be more creative and come up with an untaken domain name rather than spending $$$$, unless you've too much money and you don't know what to do with it.

Jello and minivanman like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.