The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Wish you had apps w/10 MILLION+ downloads?

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Thanks for the offer.

I want in.
:smile2:
As I mentioned, I started working on this...

Thought it might be better to seek feedback iteratively, rather than just releasing in one shot.

While the primary intent of this book is to share actionable infomation on app business success....

I thought it might provide some interesting context, humor, excitement to include a few of the stories that go along with my learnings as well.

Do you think the following failure story would make a compelling intro?

Am I better off leaving stories out, and making the book purely informational?

Please let me know what you think.

MY BIGGEST FAILURE IN THE APP BUSINESS

My biggest lesson in the business probably comes from one of my biggest failures in the business... which I would not fully realize until after the fact.

LONG STORY SHORT:

1. Long term value >> Short term profits

When possible, you want to give your users the best experience and retain them over the long term.

2. Never overvalue your smarts. Remain open to learning.

2013 - I had an app that was on top of the charts getting up to 80,000 downloads per day. A colleague with more experience in the industry (even though he was younger) gave me counsel that I should ease up on the ads so that I could keep users around for the long term.... creating my valuable platform.

I thought about it briefly and said NO THANKS! I'm making THOUSAND$ per day.... you must've lost your mind! :rofl:

I just knew in my heart I was smarter than him...

Plus I was just better than him. I knew how to get my games to rank at will, so he just didn't know how to do it like I could do it.

Turns out he was right.

My game eventually lost steam, and I was indeed able to launch games to the top at will, as expected...

Until I wasn't.

Apple was in charge and they change their algorithms as they please.

My old tricks didn't work any more.

I went on to discover new tricks, but that is not the story here...

A year later in 2014, a French studio called Ketchapp launched a viral game to the top of the charts.

Rather than blast their users with ads, they followed a strategy eerily similar to what my colleague had advised a year earlier.

They lightly monetized while funneling their users from game to game to game,

sometimes launching up to one game per week and building up a loyal base of 100s of millions of users in the process.

In 2016, after just 2 years of existence. Ketchapp was acquired by Ubisoft for a rumored $200M - $350M.

LESSON LEARNED! :rofl:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

Thought it might be better to seek feedback iteratively, rather than just releasing in one shot.

While the primary intent of this book is to share actionable infomation on app business success....

I thought it might provide some interesting context, humor, excitement to include a few of the stories that go along with my learnings as well.

My biggest lesson in the business probably comes from one of my biggest failures in the business... which I would not fully realize until after the fact.

LONG STORY SHORT:

When possible, you want to give your users the best experience and retain them over the long term.

2013 - I had an app that was on top of the charts getting up to 80,000 downloads per day. A colleague with more experience in the industry (even though he was younger) gave me counsel that I should ease up on the ads so that I could keep users around for the long term.... creating my valuable platform.

I thought about it briefly and said NO THANKS! I'm making THOUSAND$ per day.... you must've lost your mind! :rofl:

Plus I was just better than him. I knew how to get my games to rank at will, so he just didn't know how to do it like I could do it.

Turns out he was right.

My game eventually lost steam, and I was indeed able to launch games to the top at will, as expected...

Until I wasn't.

A year later in 2014, a French studio called Ketchapp launched a viral game to the top of the charts.

Rather than blast their users with ads, they followed a strategy eerily similar to what my colleague had advised a year earlier.

sometimes launching up to one game per week and building up a loyal base of 100s of millions of users in the process.

In 2016, after just 2 years of existence. Ketchapp was acquired by Ubisoft for a rumored $200M - $350M.

By the way, I recognize they had to do quite a number of things right beyond their initial decision around monetization in order to build such a valuable company...

Nonetheless, the lesson still sticks with me.

FiftySeven

Sex. Power. World Domination.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
479%
Jan 18, 2015
LandoftheBlind where one-laser-eyed man is King
I want in

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV

JWelch

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Aug 12, 2016
Arizona

LONG STORY SHORT:

Turns out he was right.

Until I wasn't.

I think that having a few stories in as long as it ties in to the overall lesson and theme of the content surrounding it then it’s good to change it up a little.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shepherd

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Jul 10, 2017
I want in. Thank you!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.