The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Will smoking weed make me lazy/hurt my (good) mindset?

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Not in the least.
Pot was found in the Pyramids and most ancient tombs. Quite the structures for people that are lazy.
You will find out all the naysayers here don't know squat about Pot. nope
So, you haven't lived long enough to know what doing stupid stuff can do to your body... Best of luck to you and good health.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Shen Nung the Father of Chinese Medicine (2850 B.C.) found nearly 100 ailments that responded well to Weed. SN knew about all the herbs.. Weed was #1
Smoking for medical reasons and smoking to get high are two different things.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Nope. Just the greatest societies of their time..

I'm a big believer that self awareness and honesty grant you a pass for many of your character flaws.

I've definitely consumed MORE than my fair share of the devil's lettuce, and I can say that after a multi year hiatus, there is no comparison in productivity, ambition, and overall strength of character between me when I'm partaking, and me when I'm sober.

If one wants to consume, go right ahead. It's your life to do with as you please. Just dispense with all the mental gymnastics about ancient cultures and medicinal properties and get tore the F up because.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Shen Nung the Father of Chinese Medicine (2850 B.C.) found nearly 100 ailments that responded well to Weed. SN knew about all the herbs.. Weed was #1
Yes, it can be used for medicine. And there are some situations where it is useful. Most of the people using are doing it for "recreational" uses. Most of the old "potheads" I know don't do much of anything besides bitch and moan -- if they have the energy to do that. Why would a person want to do anything that makes them an uninspired lump? I grew up in the 1960s. I saw where a lot of this started and I sometimes meet up with these people today -- if they are still alive. It's not pretty. My brains and energy are my best assets. I'd rather practice meditation and mindfulness rather than suck on a joint. At least those practices are beneficial to my brain.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Hey I'm better now than I was years ago. Who isn't.
My creativity is far more fun when stoned..
Many at the top of their professions are PotHeads and that is a fact.
PotHeads know the rest here don't.
Lets face it... You got scared one time and quit.
Many? Probably <1%

Why is PotHeads capitalized?!?:rofl:

And f*ck me we’ve had our share of douches here don’t start this again...

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
This whole thread honestly makes me cringe.

The unfortunate reality is the propaganda machine has influenced most of the commenters here in this thread with vilified information from the war against drugs and other government sanctioned initiatives.

The truth is that cannabis has been readily available and used by many people in the lower rungs of society. The volume of people in these lower rungs is just much higher than those with actual ambitions which will make it SEEM that weed kills productivity and crushes dreams.

The real truth is it doesn't.

I have been surrounded by drug addicts my entire life and the ones that succumb to living a life of poverty or mediocrity isn't because of smoking a little weed. Maybe some crack. Or some heroin. But the weed doesn't limit potential. It is more often their environment and the drugs are just an escape from their soul crushing reality.

Back to the point, cannabis can be a powerful tool in my experience. When some people partake they want to sit back and play video games. For me, I tend to get a creative surge. But I become very introverted so this tool specifically is great for more systems, strategy, and creative tasks. Not so much sales calls or human to human contact. Rather digging deep into a subject and letting my mind flow.

All of that said, be aware of where you are getting your information and dig deep to find the real truth when it comes to any substances you put into your body. Even then the jury is still out on the real truth when it comes to cannabis and health but more and more info is becoming available since more widespread legalization is occurring.

Tldr, question everything and everyone while making your own decisions. Cannabis is still better than other mainstream, legalized poisons such as alcohol and nicotine. As always whether we are talking about doughnuts or antibiotics, moderation is key and abuse will have undesirable consequences.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I'd argue weed isn't the problem in and of itself, but the practice of spending time on something, be it weed or anything else, that doesn't directly benefit your goals is a danger.

The issue with potheads, and I would know because I've been using it in different ways since I was a teenager, is that they overdo the practice of weed. They oversmoke. They've plateau'ed in highness, and what you can possibly gain from it, but they continue to smoke. The herb isn't bad, the medicinal properties aren't bad, but just as with everything, the habit of mis-using anything out of moderation leads to destructive behavior.

You end up lazy. Not because WEED MAKES YOU LAZY. No, not necessarily. Maybe it makes you super creative and empathetic, helping you find deeper insights. You end up lazy, because out of your 24 hour workday, weed now has a place. It now lives within your 24 hour limited resources. Daily weed smoking cuts into this resource, and at what cost? What do you gain?

The insights, the perspective change, the mindset change, all of it, could possibly be attained with small doses of weed once or twice a week. But daily weed smoking? Dangerous USE of time/resources.

P.S. another part of weed consumption that people don't really talk about, is what happens AFTER your use. So the time when you're coming down, the impulsive decisions made in this mental space, especially decisions around food, are not discussed broadly but they ARE in fact part of the experience. And it's destructive. The "downer" period for me, is especially dangerous when I'm vulnerable to dopamine cues, making all kinds of poor decisions without thinking.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
This whole thread honestly makes me cringe.

The unfortunate reality is the propaganda machine has influenced most of the commenters here in this thread with vilified information from the war against drugs and other government sanctioned initiatives.

The truth is that cannabis has been readily available and used by many people in the lower rungs of society. The volume of people in these lower rungs is just much higher than those with actual ambitions which will make it SEEM that weed kills productivity and crushes dreams.

The real truth is it doesn't.

I have been surrounded by drug addicts my entire life and the ones that succumb to living a life of poverty or mediocrity isn't because of smoking a little weed. Maybe some crack. Or some heroin. But the weed doesn't limit potential. It is more often their environment and the drugs are just an escape from their soul crushing reality.

Back to the point, cannabis can be a powerful tool in my experience. When some people partake they want to sit back and play video games. For me, I tend to get a creative surge. But I become very introverted so this tool specifically is great for more systems, strategy, and creative tasks. Not so much sales calls or human to human contact. Rather digging deep into a subject and letting my mind flow.

All of that said, be aware of where you are getting your information and dig deep to find the real truth when it comes to any substances you put into your body. Even then the jury is still out on the real truth when it comes to cannabis and health but more and more info is becoming available since more widespread legalization is occurring.

Tldr, question everything and everyone while making your own decisions. Cannabis is still better than other mainstream, legalized poisons such as alcohol and nicotine. As always whether we are talking about doughnuts or antibiotics, moderation is key and abuse will have undesirable consequences.
For the record, I’m 100% against the war on drugs. It’s been an ultimate failure. Weed should be legalized nationwide.

BUT, to me, all drugs (alcohol included) are an ESCAPE from reality, and 9/10 times develop into a crutch for that person.

I would rather create a life that doesn’t need escaping from...

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
This was a sad?, interesting and HILARIOUS story of weed.

In the T.V. Series "Taxi" Jim is a Harvard student...not a taxi mechanic...yet...haha...and had a taste of Weed Brownies for the first time.

FloppyDisque

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
325%
Aug 27, 2019
What if I told you weed can have a GOOD impact on your mood, mindset, and productivity?

What if contrary to what most people experience when they get high (lazy, munchies, mind-fog,etc.-which leads to self-sabotage), you can use the effects of weed in a way that is actually productive?

What if you can use weed to improve your mood, improve your productivity, improve your vision, and improve your mindset?

Well you can!

Weed has been used for a very long time by people of ancient times to induce non-ordinary state of consciousness. There have been hundreds and thousands of reports of people entering a non-ordinary state of conscientiousness by means of psychedelics and coming out of it with a new, and better sense of themselves, their problems, and the world around them. In the case of weed, the non-ordinary state of consciousness is a lot weaker than that of psychedelics-induced state but you will still be able to use it if you learn how.

Please note that the following is strictly extracted from my own experience, however, I have found it to benefit me greatly and I invite you to try it and see for yourself if it will benefit you too.

1. Be Intent

Most people when they smoke weed, they then proceed to: binge on junk food, watch TV, play video games, become a couch potato, [insert generic loser activity here],etc. Don't be most people. Have a game plan before you smoke weed. In psychedelic tripping, we call it set and setting, and it is vital if you want to have a good experience. For some reason, weed does not get the same respect it deserves.
I want you to apply the concept of set and setting when using weed. [Mind]Set - Have a general direction of what you want to explore in the non-ordinary state of consciousness. Setting - Be in a good environment to facilitate what ever you plan on doing.

2. Respect the Process

I'm sure you're aware of the importance of process and discipline when it comes to learning a new skill. Most people don't think of smoking weed as a skill and as a result, most people suck at using weed to its fullest potential. They have a great hammer but all they're doing is whacking at their own fingers then asking why the nails wont go in. Have a good process for smoking weed and learn to work with weed.

Example: everyday, what I would do is I would get all my daily goals done be fore 9:00 P.M, then at 9:00 P.M, before smoking weed is I would have a cold a$$ shower to clear my mind. I want to be in peak mental clarity before I go in. I mentally prepare myself as I know I have a very limited window of time before the weed completely takes over and I would forget what I set out to do. I pack my bowl exactly half-way, any more and the trip will turn sour fast, I would get couch-lock. Right after I smoked, I get my a$$ out the door, put my headphones in, go for a walk in the dark, enjoy the cool air, every single beat of the music, dancing like a maniac on my way and throughout my walk in the park. It is my favorite form of meditation. There comes a moment when your body just moves as one with the music, you become totally present to the sensations, and movement in your body, your worries melt away, you have no more care in the world. Total relaxation. To top it off, I find a nice clear patch of grass to lie down and melt into, watching the night sky. Fun things happen when you are completely still, just watching the night sky, but that's for you to find out. Then I carry my lessons, my carefree, happy attitude with me when coming down from the trip and apply it to everyday life. Life's too short to be miserable all the time.

Experiment with what you do, what you like and don't like, keep notes, do more of what you like, do less of what you don't like. Sometimes things that are pleasurable in the moment on weed (binging junk food) will bite you in the a$$ the next day while things that are less attractive (meditation and exercise) will make you a better person. Things that are good for you is hard, just do it and get better, don't be a baby.

Happy smoking.

On an unrelated note, I'm learning copywriting, any tips/ constructive critism on techniques, style, grammar, or writing in general is very much appreciated.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
I have seen people end up like old alcoholics from smoking weed regularly over the years. It takes longer, but it's still an ugly ending.
Yes, it can be used for medicine. And there are some situations where it is useful. Most of the people using are doing it for "recreational" uses. Most of the old "potheads" I know don't do much of anything besides bitch and moan -- if they have the energy to do that. Why would a person want to do anything that makes them an uninspired lump? I grew up in the 1960s. I saw where a lot of this started and I sometimes meet up with these people today -- if they are still alive. It's not pretty. My brains and energy are my best assets. I'd rather practice meditation and mindfulness rather than suck on a joint. At least those practices are beneficial to my brain.

I do meditation and I toke as well.

In fact, some of the most insightful meditation sessions I have had are when I was high.

ravenspear

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 25, 2016
What if I told you weed can have a GOOD impact on your mood, mindset, and productivity?

What if contrary to what most people experience when they get high (lazy, munchies, mind-fog,etc.-which leads to self-sabotage), you can use the effects of weed in a way that is actually productive?

What if you can use weed to improve your mood, improve your productivity, improve your vision, and improve your mindset?

Well you can!

Weed has been used for a very long time by people of ancient times to induce non-ordinary state of consciousness. There have been hundreds and thousands of reports of people entering a non-ordinary state of conscientiousness by means of psychedelics and coming out of it with a new, and better sense of themselves, their problems, and the world around them. In the case of weed, the non-ordinary state of consciousness is a lot weaker than that of psychedelics-induced state but you will still be able to use it if you learn how.

Please note that the following is strictly extracted from my own experience, however, I have found it to benefit me greatly and I invite you to try it and see for yourself if it will benefit you too.

1. Be Intent

Most people when they smoke weed, they then proceed to: binge on junk food, watch TV, play video games, become a couch potato, [insert generic loser activity here],etc. Don't be most people. Have a game plan before you smoke weed. In psychedelic tripping, we call it set and setting, and it is vital if you want to have a good experience. For some reason, weed does not get the same respect it deserves.
I want you to apply the concept of set and setting when using weed. [Mind]Set - Have a general direction of what you want to explore in the non-ordinary state of consciousness. Setting - Be in a good environment to facilitate what ever you plan on doing.

2. Respect the Process

I'm sure you're aware of the importance of process and discipline when it comes to learning a new skill. Most people don't think of smoking weed as a skill and as a result, most people suck at using weed to its fullest potential. They have a great hammer but all they're doing is whacking at their own fingers then asking why the nails wont go in. Have a good process for smoking weed and learn to work with weed.

Example: everyday, what I would do is I would get all my daily goals done be fore 9:00 P.M, then at 9:00 P.M, before smoking weed is I would have a cold a$$ shower to clear my mind. I want to be in peak mental clarity before I go in. I mentally prepare myself as I know I have a very limited window of time before the weed completely takes over and I would forget what I set out to do. I pack my bowl exactly half-way, any more and the trip will turn sour fast, I would get couch-lock. Right after I smoked, I get my a$$ out the door, put my headphones in, go for a walk in the dark, enjoy the cool air, every single beat of the music, dancing like a maniac on my way and throughout my walk in the park. It is my favorite form of meditation. There comes a moment when your body just moves as one with the music, you become totally present to the sensations, and movement in your body, your worries melt away, you have no more care in the world. Total relaxation. To top it off, I find a nice clear patch of grass to lie down and melt into, watching the night sky. Fun things happen when you are completely still, just watching the night sky, but that's for you to find out. Then I carry my lessons, my carefree, happy attitude with me when coming down from the trip and apply it to everyday life. Life's too short to be miserable all the time.

Experiment with what you do, what you like and don't like, keep notes, do more of what you like, do less of what you don't like. Sometimes things that are pleasurable in the moment on weed (binging junk food) will bite you in the a$$ the next day while things that are less attractive (meditation and exercise) will make you a better person. Things that are good for you is hard, just do it and get better, don't be a baby.

Happy smoking.

On an unrelated note, I'm learning copywriting, any tips/ constructive critism on techniques, style, grammar, or writing in general is very much appreciated.

Indeed, a good Sativa can leave you very alert and even more motivated for work.

Entre Eyes

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 7, 2019
Traveling to Higher Conciousness
You know who is laughing like hell at this thread? ALCOHOL. Kills so many, injures so many, causes so many confrontations..and gets off Scot free!

There is a recent introduction thread mentioning mom killed by drunk driver and father frozen to death while drunk.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Weed has a different effect on everyone you could feel relaxed and if you have trouble with anxiety or ADD/ADHD it's quite soothing and helps you focus or it could have the reverse effect, do an experiment and try to measure your own self reported levels of how weed affects you.

It isn't possible to become physically addicted to weed but it is possible like all other good things to become too much of a good thing, just be responsible and if you only smoke in your down time or on a social occasion you'll be fine.

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
Weed has a different effect on everyone you could feel relaxed and if you have trouble with anxiety or ADD/ADHD it's quite soothing and helps you focus or it could have the reverse effect, do an experiment and try to measure your own self reported levels of how weed affects you.

It isn't possible to become physically addicted to weed but it is possible like all other good things to become too much of a good thing, just be responsible and if you only smoke in your down time or on a social occasion you'll be fine.
Except for a lot of people it becomes ritualized and habitual.

Before you know it you’re taking 1-2 hours out of your day for a smoke sesh.

Question: How many business owners have you met that smelled like weed?

If you meet a potential client, and they reeked of weed, would that change your perception of them?

Now imagine the situation is reversed.

Things to consider...

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
352%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Except for a lot of people it becomes ritualized and habitual.

Before you know it you’re taking 1-2 hours out of your day for a smoke sesh.

Question: How many business owners have you met that smelled like weed?

If you meet a potential client, and they reeked of weed, would that change your perception of them?

Now imagine the situation is reversed.

Things to consider...

I clearly don't speak for everyone but in my immediate and extended friend groups/peers, 90 percent smoke weed and they're all very socially conscious, smart and driven. I understand the stigma behind weed and the trailer trash/hippie look but I don't think that's the case for everyone at all and to imply it does is pretty dubious at best imo. Weed is less physically and mentally addictive than say alcohol by a very large stretch and nowhere near the benefits that weed does provide (should your ailments align with those benefits) yet if you knew someone drank occasionally what would you think about them? Would it change your perspective at all?

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
I clearly don't speak for everyone but in my immediate and extended friend groups/peers, 90 percent smoke weed and they're all very socially conscious, smart and driven. I understand the stigma behind weed and the trailer trash/hippie look but I don't think that's the case for everyone at all and to imply it does is pretty dubious at best imo. Weed is less physically and mentally addictive than say alcohol by a very large stretch and nowhere near the benefits that weed does provide (should your ailments align with those benefits) yet if you knew someone drank occasionally what would you think about them? Would it change your perspective at all?

By the same token, if I knew somebody drank every night, I might make a judgement as well. If I knew that the first thing they do in the morning is have a glass of whiskey, and as soon as they're done with work they run to drink for the rest of the night, I would make an assumption about their character and lifestyle habits.

Again, don't look at weed as the problem, look at the large majority's relationship with weed. Then again, such a large portion of the population smokes weed that you couldn't stereotype a pothead. There's such a broad range of personalities that use weed in different forms, and a lot of it can be good. Just need to be self-aware enough to see how to best leverage it in your own life.

Despite the obvious benefits, I personally still see people generally use weed in more destructive than constructive ways. No science there, just my observations.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Weed is less physically and mentally addictive than say alcohol by a very large stretch and nowhere near the benefits that weed does provide (should your ailments align with those benefits) yet if you knew someone drank occasionally what would you think about them? Would it change your perspective at all?
How do you know that your assumption is the truth? I don't know of any studies on long term use of weed. How do you know what's in that joint? I just know what I have seen over the years from drug use and drinking. Either way, it makes people act stupid and I hate self-induced stupid. It's a blatant waste of potential.

dauntless

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Oct 26, 2019
I think you're too young to try cannabis. Like others mentioned, you need your brain to develop as naturally as possible. Substances can play a factor on how your brain ends up getting developed and you want your brain to adjust due to neuroplasticity, and to "get back to normal" when anything affects it...head injuries, substance abuse, psychodelics, etc...all of this can have a negative impact. So let your brain develop first before you delve into substance abuse.
Myself, I have tried cannabis and it has had positive results, specially in the creative department. But, I do not depend on it, and I try to best exercise my willpower to know my limits. It does feel great to know that I have a creative surge from that, but I am also incredibly slow under the influence and does not contribute to my hustle.
Anyways, it's up to you if you want to try, wisdom is at your reach and you can decide how to exercise your willpower.

YoungnBroke

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Jul 21, 2018
If I recall correctly from your intro you’re 15 years old and in Alabama? There are way too many negatives, especially at your age and Alabama’s position on the drug. I would explore exercise, meditation etc.

Short- & Long-Term Effects of Marijuana - Negative Side Effects of Weed - Drug-Free World
drugfreeworld.org is not a good source, its founded by the Scientology Church
Smoking weed is not a good habit but better than youth drinking. It also depends if you get addicted to thing or substances easily.

Ather

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 26, 2020
Weed makes me able to watch cartoons and eat Doritos like a F*cking champ :rofl:

I love kicking back and lighting up with friends. It makes funny things funnier, tasty things tastier, and good music... gooder.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
What's funny is the ''successful'' people on this thread are against & the people for are most likely SCRIPTED.

Interesting thought!

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Highly debated topic, especially here in Canda where it was just legalized.

I'll tell you what I tell most people - if you're the type of person to become addicted, it can be a problem. I don't know many successful/productive people who smoke weed often - although there are exceptions.

olivkareidus6

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 20, 2021
I haven't actually tried weed on my own, but I'm not planning to because I know that I can easily get addicted to it. Even when I had psychological problems, I did take the responsibility and didn't attempt to escape it with weed, even though most of my friends advised me to. Everyone is free to make his own choices... The only substance I tried during this period is bali kratom, but it was mainly consumed in order to ease the mind and relax. The only effect I had owing to it is total relaxing state of mind and body. 2 weeks+good sleep+support needed= psychologically healthy me! The formula is pretty easy to catch!

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Cannabis isn't for everyone. If you're concerned that weed is going to make you lazy or harm your ambitions in any way, then it's not worth it.

For me, I found that it was basically impossible to work while high. Not that it was impossible but that my work was not of the quality that I wanted. Doesn't make sense. On the other hand, I found that low dose edibles taken at night allowed me to let go of the stresses that I held over from my work and helped me get to sleep, which is a problem I've had all my life. I take it almost like a vitamin now. Before, I needed an alarm clock: now I wake up between 7-9 am without an alarm. The caveat is that I have to take tolerance breaks in order to make sure I can continue to take this small dose, and that I am taking on a known risk of dependency.

I have no scientific proof to back this up but I think a big problem with cannabis is that people who use it end up bumping up their doses way too high over time, with the belief that it's a "benign substance" and that "smoking more never killed anyone". Eventually they smoke so much that it begins to affect their brain chemistry in a negative way. It's been shown that frequent cannabis use as a teenager is linked to lower cognitive performance in young adults, and I personally believe that this is the psychological mechanism behind it. It's not addicting like heroin or cocaine, but it IS addictive and I truly believe this.

There are plenty of highly successful people who use cannabis, although you might find an interesting commonality among them: almost all of them are in the creative world. Some are in academia (Carl Sagan), some are in athletics (Mike Tyson & many other pro athletes who got popped for marijuana) but very few are in business. It could be that weed is typically considered a drug for artists and is more acceptable there, or it could be that the skills required to do well in business are worsened by regular cannabis use.

But every experience is subjective and your mileage may vary. If you're going to do it, know what you're getting into and don't let the "stoner cult" influence your views on the substance. It's still a drug.

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
Cannabis isn't for everyone. If you're concerned that weed is going to make you lazy or harm your ambitions in any way, then it's not worth it.

For me, I found that it was basically impossible to work while high. Not that it was impossible but that my work was not of the quality that I wanted. Doesn't make sense. On the other hand, I found that low dose edibles taken at night allowed me to let go of the stresses that I held over from my work and helped me get to sleep, which is a problem I've had all my life. I take it almost like a vitamin now. Before, I needed an alarm clock: now I wake up between 7-9 am without an alarm. The caveat is that I have to take tolerance breaks in order to make sure I can continue to take this small dose, and that I am taking on a known risk of dependency.

I have no scientific proof to back this up but I think a big problem with cannabis is that people who use it end up bumping up their doses way too high over time, with the belief that it's a "benign substance" and that "smoking more never killed anyone". Eventually they smoke so much that it begins to affect their brain chemistry in a negative way. It's been shown that frequent cannabis use as a teenager is linked to lower cognitive performance in young adults, and I personally believe that this is the psychological mechanism behind it. It's not addicting like heroin or cocaine, but it IS addictive and I truly believe this.

There are plenty of highly successful people who use cannabis, although you might find an interesting commonality among them: almost all of them are in the creative world. Some are in academia (Carl Sagan), some are in athletics (Mike Tyson & many other pro athletes who got popped for marijuana) but very few are in business. It could be that weed is typically considered a drug for artists and is more acceptable there, or it could be that the skills required to do well in business are worsened by regular cannabis use.

But every experience is subjective and your mileage may vary. If you're going to do it, know what you're getting into and don't let the "stoner cult" influence your views on the substance. It's still a drug.
Agree 100% on this.

I have convinced myself for YEARS that it does no harm, causes no dependency, other drugs are way worse, etc.

But in reality, yes it DOES CREATE DEPENDENCY (think dopamine) and it changes your brain chemistry and F*cks with your ability to deal with emotions.

Go figure the consequences of this in your life long term.

I decided to quit smoking weed when I had this realization and I'm a waay better and more productive person since.

I still do get high ocasionally but when I do it's always in edible form. The high is different and it's like a stress relieving process.

If I am on a trip for example, with my buddies, my girl, etc and there's a joint I'll smoke. But that's inordinary and non-frequent situations.

I do believe that what separates the medicine from poision is the dose and cannabis is definetely not a substance that you can use frequently like the mindless pothead culture promotes.

It has to be used with purpose and with respect. This shit has a spirit - and you don't want to mess with it.

In summary, when...

Used with moderation and low doses: ALL BENEFITS

Used with overindulgence:
- Laziness
- Increased lethargy
- Lack motivation
- Poor memory
- Weak concentration

... you know the rest. The pothead stereotype really comes alive.

So, based on my experience and in scientific papers, yes, weed will turn you into a lazy person and F*ck yourself internally if you use it too much/frequently.

Be aware of its consequences and do always stay vigilant on your consumption.

Last edited:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Agree 100% on this.

I have convinced myself for YEARS that it does no harm, causes no dependency, other drugs are way worse, etc.

But in reality, yes it DOES CREATE DEPENDENCY (think dopamine) and it changes your brain chemistry and f*cks with your ability to deal with emotions.

Go figure the consequences of this in your life long term.

I decided to quit smoking weed when I had this realization and I'm a waay better and more productive person since.

I still do get high ocasionally but when I do it's always in edible form. The high is different and it's like a stress relieving process.

If I am on a trip for example, with my buddies, my girl, etc and there's a joint I'll smoke. But that's inordinary and non-frequent situations.

I do believe that what separates the medicine from poision is the dose and cannabis is definetely not a substance that you can use frequently like the mindless pothead culture promotes.

It has to be used with purpose and with respect. This shit has a spirit - and you don't want to mess with it.

In summary,

Used with moderation and low doses: ALL BENEFITS

Used with overindulgence:
- Laziness
- Increased lethargy
- Lack motivation
- Poor memory
- Weak concentration

... you know the rest. The stereotype of pothead really comes alive.

So, based on my experience and in scientific papers, yes, weed will turn you into a lazy person and f*ck yourself internally if you use it too much/frequently.

Be aware of its consequences and do always stay vigilant on your consumption.
I took a Constitutional Law class from a prof who was a Family Judge, many years ago. We asked him what he did when he found out that parents in his cases were taking drugs. He replied that if they were smoking weed, he didn't have to deal with it. We asked why. He explained that most of the time, they didn't care enough to show up for their court dates. They were too high to be bothered. Even if he exaggerated to make his point, how sad for everyone involved!

mguerra

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Mar 23, 2015
I took a Constitutional Law class from a prof who was a Family Judge, many years ago. We asked him what he did when he found out that parents in his cases were taking drugs. He replied that if they were smoking weed, he didn't have to deal with it. We asked why. He explained that most of the time, they didn't care enough to show up for their court dates. They were too high to be bothered. Even if he exaggerated to make his point, how sad for everyone involved!
Deep, man.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.