The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why success and "living Unscripted" is like winning a rigged carnival game...

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Some good points.. you could write a book!

I really like this point.
The more you consume mainstream media, the more rigged the game becomes.
Quit mainstream media, watching the news, and either use ad-free services, pirate your content or mute the adds and after a while watching a 'normal' evening TV show and the ads is mind-blowing. For starters half the ads are actually just straight up stupid, they can mock their scripted consumers and the consumer will repeat the catchphrase!

Spent some time at my folks with TV on in the background yesterday and it's shocking how from seeing the ads you would think the most social thing you can do is gamble. :rofl: I doubt many people get into gambling for social reasons but an existing user is probably less likely to feel bad about spending money on their site when the ads present it as a sociable and cool activity.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Once you understand the battle that lies ahead, you can be better prepared to defeat it.

See the battle, understand the battle, and then win the battle.

Good luck.

This thread is pure gold and one reason why MJ's texting network is such an amazing value and love to see when a text out-of-nowhere is there to start my day.

I thought a lot about the middle line for the past ten days or so, as the battlefield for my industry can be a little overwhelming and incredibly dysfunctional. I will continue to both see and understand the battle. As for winning, the time will come, and I will grind my a$$ off for it, but I need a little luck too to win so thanks for that MJ and the amazing insight.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
This thread is pure gold and one reason why MJ's texting network is such an amazing value and love to see when a text out-of-nowhere is there to start my day.

Thanks! Marked Gold it is!

Swantzify

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Sep 30, 2021
As I got settled into my new home and caught up on email, I was happy to see dozens of emails from readers and fans.

None of this mail was "hate mail" but a lot of messages of thanks and status reports of progress. Great right?

Sure, except my brain wasn't happy about it. You see, it was just another thing to do, another task to cross off the list.

Can you imagine that? People are writing me to say how much I changed their life. Or how well their business is doing and how their whole life has been reinvented. And here I am ... grinding through the messages as if I was doing my taxes. Instead of being in the "now" and understanding that there was a real human behind the email with a story, my brain was marginalizing and dehumanizing the email as "just another thing to do" so I can move on to the next task, like unpacking, marketing, or writing another book.

But luckily, I caught myself in this unconscious activity. This "mindless," go-thru-the-motions activity is just one of the many reasons why people fail... your brain works against you.

As I read through the many emails, it became clear just how hard it is to live Unscripted and succeed in a world where being a Slowlane zombie is so glorified and promoted. As evidenced in my email review, even I still struggle with the Unscripted concept. As the thread title states, the game is rigged -- the odds are stacked against you.

First, your brain is not trained for success or to live Unscripted .
Your brain wants shortcuts.
Your brain wants to focus on the past and future, not the now.
Your brain can't shut the f*ck up.
Your brain is wired to take the well worn path, not the untested, unknown path.
Your brain is wired to avoid discomfort and fear.
Your brain wants to follow authority, not lead in liberty.

All of this merely creates a predisposition toward mediocrity and Scripted living.

Worse, culture and society is mocking you every step of the way to promote this mindless, dreamless way of living. Get a job! Get a degree! Don't buy anything! Save 10%! Do this, do that!

Sorry, but the more you consume mainstream media, the more rigged the game becomes. The more you let your brain run roughshod over your decisions and impulses, the more rigged the game becomes.

In other words, winning an Unscripted life is akin to winning a rigged carnival game. Yes, the odds are against you.

But there is hope.

Isn't it true if you know how the game is rigged, you have a better chance at winning? In other words, you can win a rigged game when you understand HOW the game is rigged.

You can win a war when you UNDERSTAND the enemy and how they operate.

Did you know that even after ten years, many people still think that the core message of The Millionaire Fastlane is to "start an internet business!"?

Ugh.

As I concluded reading my reader fan mail, it was clear that many of the people who wrote me won't have a chance. Not because they didn't comprehend my book, or because they lack good ideas, it is because they don't understand the nature of the game and how it is rigged. The marketplace won't defeat them, their mind will.

The truth is, your brain will work against you.
Your friends and family will work against you.
Your culture will work against you.

All of this creates the rigged game.

Once you understand the battle that lies ahead, you can be better prepared to defeat it.

Only you can beat the odds.

No, you don't live and then die. DYING is an event. LIVING is the process. Make a conscious effort to LIVE your life, and not have life live you.

Good luck.
Man I really love that last sentence! I use something similar trying to drive home proper use of Salesforce by saying "Make Salesforce Work for you, not you work for Salesforce". I really should purchase rights to that statement....

The other part that hits the nail on the head for me is this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that keeps telling me that this is just a stupid "phase" and it will pass and I'll just go back to my "acceptable" and "utterly mundane" lifestyle. Just letting each day pass, while using my skills and expertise to make someone else money....

Then I got on here tonight, went and wrote up a blog post I will release along with my new website and realized... "Nope, not going to happen".

I have my 1/5/10 Planasy written out sitting next to me each day as a reminder of why I am doing what I am doing. To escape this Rate Race.

MveloWins

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Nov 19, 2013
South Africa
Being an entrepreneur is like summoning the hero within us. It’s like an act of courage.

Ever since you were born society chose your values for you. Which guide your actions.

It’s almost heroic to persist in understanding when it’s not easy to do so. To try to be awake when those around you are not.
absolutely powerful, that first line alone sums up it up for me. The reason I feel uneasy and my conscience is restless is that I understand that I am not reaching my full potential. Entrepreneurship is the expression of the hero within, the most courageous of life's pursuits.

Last edited:

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
Once you take responsibility for your life while understanding the game (the point of this thread) you can make it happen. There is both an enemy within, and without --- which can make it feel like a rigged carnival game.

And that is really the most you can do. Take responsibility and take action.

One of the things I gripe with the most is wanting "wake up" other people. There really isn't a way to do it without evidence of your own success and even then as evidence of this thread, its not enough for most people and understandably so when you look at the way we grow and develop as a culture.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
And that is really the most you can do. Take responsibility and take action.

One of the things I gripe with the most is wanting "wake up" other people. There really isn't a way to do it without evidence of your own success and even then as evidence of this thread, its not enough for most people and understandably so when you look at the way we grow and develop as a culture.

True.

Everyone wants to change the world. Problem is, most people can't change themselves.

Want to change the world? Change yourself first, than go after the next 7 billion.

Budgeoly

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 4, 2019
South Carolina
As I got settled into my new home and caught up on email, I was happy to see dozens of emails from readers and fans.

None of this mail was "hate mail" but a lot of messages of thanks and status reports of progress. Great right?

Sure, except my brain wasn't happy about it. You see, it was just another thing to do, another task to cross off the list.

Can you imagine that? People are writing me to say how much I changed their life. Or how well their business is doing and how their whole life has been reinvented. And here I am ... grinding through the messages as if I was doing my taxes. Instead of being in the "now" and understanding that there was a real human behind the email with a story, my brain was marginalizing and dehumanizing the email as "just another thing to do" so I can move on to the next task, like unpacking, marketing, or writing another book.

But luckily, I caught myself in this unconscious activity. This "mindless," go-thru-the-motions activity is just one of the many reasons why people fail... your brain works against you.

As I read through the many emails, it became clear just how hard it is to live Unscripted and succeed in a world where being a Slowlane zombie is so glorified and promoted. As evidenced in my email review, even I still struggle with the Unscripted concept. As the thread title states, the game is rigged -- the odds are stacked against you.

All of this merely creates a predisposition toward mediocrity and Scripted living.

Worse, culture and society is mocking you every step of the way to promote this mindless, dreamless way of living. Get a job! Get a degree! Don't buy anything! Save 10%! Do this, do that!

Sorry, but the more you consume mainstream media, the more rigged the game becomes. The more you let your brain run roughshod over your decisions and impulses, the more rigged the game becomes.

In other words, winning an Unscripted life is akin to winning a rigged carnival game. Yes, the odds are against you.

But there is hope.

Isn't it true if you know how the game is rigged, you have a better chance at winning? In other words, you can win a rigged game when you understand HOW the game is rigged.

Did you know that even after ten years, many people still think that the core message of The Millionaire Fastlane is to "start an internet business!"?

Ugh.

As I concluded reading my reader fan mail, it was clear that many of the people who wrote me won't have a chance. Not because they didn't comprehend my book, or because they lack good ideas, it is because they don't understand the nature of the game and how it is rigged. The marketplace won't defeat them, their mind will.

No, you don't live and then die. DYING is an event. LIVING is the process. Make a conscious effort to LIVE your life, and not have life live you.

Good luck.
Hi MJ you said: The more you let your brain run roughshod over your decisions and impulses is closely related to what William Walker Atkinson said in Thought Vibrations "The Will has been set aside and Low Desire has usurped the throne. It is time to re-establish order in the mental kingdom. You are able to assert the mastery over any emotion, appetite, passion or class of thoughts by the assertion of the Will." I believe firmly that "establishing order in ones own mental kingdom is the key and the general theme of this post.
I am bootstrapping my business I started last year and have alot of responsibilities outside of running the business not an excuse but rather the "activities" that keep slowing me down. Thanks to "unscripted " I am able to consciously measure slow lane decisions and decide to do them myself or pay to have them done. Thanks for your guidance!

Raven S

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 19, 2021
Norway

But there is hope.

Ugh.

Good luck.

I just read this- and it was perfect. It IS important to encounter "evidence" from somewhere every once in a while that what you are doing, actually makes perfect sense even though everyone around you seems to imply you lost your marbles. - This post did that for me. Everything I believe in, and stand for - is nicely listed in it - and it does feel nice to get your ideas reaffirmed every once in a while.

I like to say, that the one who wins the game, is the one who knows the game. - And I encourage people to figure out everything there is to figure out about the game of tic tac toe - by THINKING about it! Not reading, - just sit down - and THINK until the game has revealed EVERYTHING. You should be able to become 100%! unbeatable.

Its a simple game, and yet most don't master it. - and why would you trust youruself with anything complicated before you can do the simple stuff right?

Having "solved" tic tac toe - it helped me "view" the other games around me in the game of life in a different light.(Emotions, Time, Physique, Relationship, Finance)

Budgeoly

New Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Sep 4, 2019
South Carolina
Hi MJ you said: The more you let your brain run roughshod over your decisions and impulses is closely related to what William Walker Atkinson said in Thought Vibrations "The Will has been set aside and Low Desire has usurped the throne. It is time to re-establish order in the mental kingdom. You are able to assert the mastery over any emotion, appetite, passion or class of thoughts by the assertion of the Will." I believe firmly that "establishing order in ones own mental kingdom is the key and the general theme of this post.
I am bootstrapping my business I started last year and have alot of responsibilities outside of running the business not an excuse but rather the "activities" that keep slowing me down. Thanks to "unscripted " I am able to consciously measure slow lane decisions and decide to do them myself or pay to have them done. Thanks for your guidance!
I would like to be an affiliate marketer of Unscripted and have tried to sign up but T&C will not populate and I usually save them and before Agreeing.

ArmanK

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Apr 30, 2022

Your brain can't shut the F*ck up.

But there is hope.

Ugh.

Good luck.
Thanks for sharing @MJ DeMarco

This reminded me of Naval's line that goes something like: decide what game you want to play then you can play to win

cheers

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.