The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Living Unscripted - Handling millions harder than making them?

Anything related to investing, including crypto

e_fastlane

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
May 2, 2012
The last part of Unscripted hit really close to home for me, as I have needed to start making money on my money years ago already. The issue is that I have been too busy making money in my business instead (or enjoying my free time). This results in 7 figures sitting in cash and withering away it's value to inflation.

MJ makes everything seem very simple and easy...However I feel like there is a lot glossed. Which is fair considering Unscripted is not an investment book. But to be honest, it left me more lost than when I began.

Some inconsistencies:

On the one hand: We should just be able to follow some simple rules and something like 5% year after year is very easy to get.

On the other hand: Someone must have not told the guys that do this for a living, since all the funds lost their asses during the crash. (Even the "top dogs").​
On the one hand: I need to be in the know enough about the state of the economy and different industries I am investing in so I can manage the money intelligently.

On the other hand: MJ says he just takes a daily "10 second portfolio peek". It seems like this glosses over all the leg work in the background that has to happen for some days to be just a peek.​
On the one hand: I recognize that there is no free lunch and I need to do my own research.

On the other hand: It sounds like "unscripted " means the goal is to go from business owner to professional financial adviser (of myself).​
On the one hand, I believe MJ and how well he has been doing.

On the other hand: The stock market has just been in a crazy rally for almost a decade and most people made money even with poor decisions.​

Now switch gears to my problem. My time is still best spent investing into my business and not figuring out investing. If it was so low risk and easy, then this service would just be offered. To an average bystander, it seems like this exact service is offered. They call themselves financial advisers, portfolio managers or simply the guys that run funds. So where are the guys that are actually competent? Not everyone is the fresh graduate with only book knowledge. They supposedly have the same ideas of diversification (hence why a fund owns so many different stocks). How can I give someone all my money and get a guaranteed 4% back every year and let them keep the rest? I'm begging to give them my money!

The biggest thing I see wrong in the financial industry is there is no Skin in the game. They make money regardless of whether they make me money. Are there any firms or advisers out there that only make a percent of profit? I would be willing to let them make alot of money from me.

On the other hand..... I doubt banks are giving mortgages for 3.5% if they thought they can make 4% somewhere else........So the best I've been able to make of the situation is that unless I want to start working as a hedge fund manager as my 'retirement' job, I have to keep making money till I have enough to amortize over the rest of my life. Which is unfortunately a much bigger number. Can anyone provide any words of wisdom to straighten me out?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
357%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
The biggest thing I see wrong in the financial industry is there is no Skin in the game. They make money regardless of whether they make me money. Are there any firms or advisers out there that only make a percent of profit? I would be willing to let them make alot of money from me.
If I remember correctly (from the little studying I have done for an adviser designation), this is considered unethical as it can lead to investments that are not in the best interest of the client.

If you just want 4% returns every year, consider looking into annuities.
I'm sure quite a few bonds and bond funds would also fit the bill.

ETA: obviously with an annuity, you no longer have access to the principal, just the guaranteed payments.

Edit 2: if you really just want 4% a year, I can think of some real estate transactions that would make sense.

Last edited:

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Not the worst of problems to have, but I think expanding on the potential ways you can strategically park your cash could be very high value to someone in your position. Pure reliance on a financial manager to try to eek out a few % points just screams risk to me. Why not look into acquiring real estate? Domestic or abroad. There are many emerging markets out there with higher speculative growth potential.

Cryptocurrencies are also a fairly safe long term bet if you are diligent and diversified. Even taking a bet on a dark horse with a low entry can sometimes yield 1000%+ returns in short time (had a 800%+ return coin that I sold off yesterday).

What I'm getting at is while it may seem like extreme risk to some, educating yourself of the possibilities and finding groups of similar people in similar scenarios can open up the door to much higher potential returns with defined risk.

I've also heard that there are offshore banks with annual returns in the neighborhood of what you're talking about, but I don't know for certain. Maybe @GlobalWealth can weigh in.

Disclaimer: I'm no millionaire, but I'm trending in that direction and am trying to plan for the situation you're in as best as possible.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.