The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why Not to Put Your Property in an LLC

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Freddie Mac just made a rule change that states if your property has been in an LLC for any part of the past 6 months you can NOT refinance.

Fannie Mae is expected to do the same thing.

We're working on a quick solution for our clients and I'll be posting the latest ideas on my website and probably doing a teleseminar on it this weekend.

Talk to your CPA, talk to your lawyer, talk to your mortgage broker right away if you have property inside of an LLC.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
WOW.

This is huge news.

Thankfully, we don't have any props in LLCs, but the only reason is b/c the prop is in CA, and we structured things a bit differently (to protect against potential lawsuits).

But if we'd had prop anywhere else in the country, it would have been held in an LLC.

Thank you again for your presence and contributions to these forums, Diane. You are an invaluable member of the fastlane community.

REP SPEED!!! :banana::banana::banana:

-Russ H.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I don't understand why they would do this. When I do apartment loans through either organization, they require an LLC. They review the docs to make sure that certain items are addressed for borrower and lender protection.

:coco:

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
eek. I was just about to put one in an LLC. Thanks for the heads up.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Thanks for taking the time to post the information, Diane. Really nice to be tuned in. :) ++++

Fortunately, 98% of our property is in an individual name and we are not looking to refinance any time soon. Still thinking about how this might affect us though...... and others....very interesting.

Any mention of trusts?

SteveO - I am with you. I just can't find the logic in these decisions.

Thanks again.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'd assume the reason is that properties held in LLCs are likely investors', so by ruling them out they focus mostly on owner-occupied.
Diane, thanks a lot for posting this.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
I'd assume the reason is that properties held in LLCs are likely investors', so by ruling them out they focus mostly on owner-occupied.
Diane, thanks a lot for posting this.

Andres, you go it in one. SteveO, the reason I think that it's not affecting you is because the apartment buildings and larger projects you do would all be investors, just by definition. But, there is a feeling that it's unsophisticated investors buying SFR that caused our crisis. And they want to stop it.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Clearly they are being reactive instead of proactive. They should have put some type of measures in long ago. Shutting down the investors that are still making a go of things seems counter-productive at this point.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia
Clearly they are being reactive instead of proactive. They should have put some type of measures in long ago. Shutting down the investors that are still making a go of things seems counter-productive at this point.

Exactly. Clearly, if you are still in the game, at this point, you are doing something right. It is a fantastic time to buy and with a knowledgeable investor, you would think it would make great business sense to the banks, to support this.

Clearly there needs to be means of verifiying the stability a business beforehand but how is the economy to re-balance, if they won't even lend to the more experienced players?

I could be way off here. I am certainly no economics genius but it just does not make practical sense to me.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
Yes, many people foolishly invested and lost their shirts. That shouldn't mean preventing others from trying. 9/10 Businesses fail within the first 3 years, should we stop giving loans to start-ups as well? I'm coming from the new investor side of things and this just makes little sense to me. I'll be contacting my CPA to see if she has any solutions for me.

Corrado79

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Sep 24, 2007
Santa Monica, CA
I have a few properties titled in LLC's. Great. I guess if I need to refi, I could always just quit claim the property to me and hope they don't call the loan for 6 months. This is really stupid. Maybe Fannie Mae will be smart and not follow. Maybe I'm going to be stuck using credit unions and the like in the near future.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
I have a few properties titled in LLC's. Great. I guess if I need to refi, I could always just quit claim the property to me and hope they don't call the loan for 6 months. This is really stupid. Maybe Fannie Mae will be smart and not follow. Maybe I'm going to be stuck using credit unions and the like in the near future.

Go to Diane Kennedy's blog at taxloopholes.com She has posted a possible solution you can talk to your CPA about.

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
This seems like an effort to get more homeowners back in the market. Where I live a lot of people refinaced in the bubble and remodeled their homes. Then the buble burst and the ARMs kicked in and the foreclosure came down like rain. Prices fell to half the peak values. I am looking at a house that is now 80000 that priced 160000 two years ago.

I'm buying as an owner occupied but am looking to exit it as either a rental or a lease option.

So the government is looking out for the middle class.

but once again the rich out smarts em with the "trust sandwich"

Thanks diane. I understand it now.

rep+

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Thanks for the rep. You definitely understand the game!

I've posted the teleseminar and a couple of special reports over at www.TrustSandwich.com. It's all free. I wanted to put the information all in one place.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.