The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why "Goal is to make 1k a week" Is The Wrong Approach.

Anything related to matters of the mind

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
10958055_841791462535961_1643717191_n.jpg

:embarrased:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ubermensch

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 7, 2008
Chicago
10958055_841791462535961_1643717191_n.jpg

:embarrased:

@Potente

Sometimes, you have to stalk after your goal, lurking in the tall grass, waiting for that glorious moment. Creeping in the grass, you take slow, plodding steps, enduring the moments of silence by focusing on the kill.

Like a $tone cold hustler focused on the kill, hunting after the equivalent of "drawing blood" in business: Getting the prospect to "draw" or etch their signature on the line which is dotted.

Listen to Gordon the Great at the end of this video. He wants blood flow and bloodshed.

Gordon said it best. "Greed" is good. Greed is right. Greed is moral. Greed is the highest virtue a man can have, for it is greed - his uncapped ambition, his unchecked passion for success, his unrestrained love for his family and even his fellow man - that drove the species out of the cave and into the aristocratic court, out of mystic mysticism and into the Renaissance, out of the dark ages and into the Age of Information.

Remove the mental shackles from your mind. Delete the lies planted in your mind, swallowed by your subconscious without inspecting them for logical and factual error and correctness.

"Push beyond your limits," as the 50th Law advises.

The only limits are those you set for yourself in your own mind.

Those too squeamish to acknowledge life's sometimes bloody and violent nature would do well do heed Machiavelli's advice. Sometimes, to get what you want, you have to be willing to bite down and break a neck.

How much of the known world would King Alexander have conquered if he felt queasy about drawing blood from his enemy's bodies?

Make no mistake about it. True history is often written with blood; the story - the (his)story - which is merely based on and inspired by the truth, is simply retold and recorded with ink.

Sometimes, to win, you have to exploit someone else's ignorance, or a massive group's collective ignorance.

Sometimes, to win, you might have to sell a company - at just the right time. Just ask Mark Cuban.

Sometimes, to win, you have to say F*ck competition, and choose to dominate. Total, monstrous annihilation of any would-be competition.

Sometimes, to win, you might have to sell a company - not once, but twice. Just ask @MJ DeMarco

You have to make the move(s) that win for you.

"The right approach is the one that works for you."

D

DeletedUser396

@Potente

Sometimes, you have to stalk after your goal, lurking in the tall grass, waiting for that glorious moment. Creeping in the grass, you take slow, plodding steps, enduring the moments of silence by focusing on the kill.

Like a $tone cold hustler focused on the kill, hunting after the equivalent of "drawing blood" in business: Getting the prospect to "draw" or etch their signature on the line which is dotted.
Isn't it fascinating?
The lion and the leopard are tormenting the impalas, crushing their souls before eating them.
They bait the parents by making them hear the screams of their babies.

How cruel!

Animals just do what they want to do, even if it's "cruel" or "immoral".
It's nature, and we're part of it.
Nature balances itself.
Nature is not fair.
Winning is the only thing that matters.

Even if you have to unleash your whole army against a single, weak enemy.
Even if you you have to get lucky.

Even if you have to kill the children of your enemies before they're old enough to defend themselves.

Life is war.
War is sex.
Life is sex.
Sex is war.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
I've written a lengthy post for the following point, trying to explain as much as can be, but those who'd get it, will. Those who wouldn't, won't.

Assuming the role of a predator is foolish. It is in its nature to overlook things, to skip considering.

No need to make yourself an exception to morality, since it's no more than a fairytale.

No lions, kings, warriors and the like. All are imaginary.

- "To get, you do."
It's the truth. Mixing it with any emotion(fear, pride, etc.) or concept(morality, ethics, etc.) is fiction.

No opinion you may hold is worth anything, or matters to anything(including my own, of course). Love or hate apples, an apple is an apple.

D

DeletedUser396

I've written a lengthy post for the following point, trying to explain as much as can be, but those who'd get it, will. Those who wouldn't, won't.

Assuming the role of a predator is foolish. It is in its nature to overlook things, to skip considering.

No need to make yourself an exception to morality, since it's no more than a fairytale.

No lions, kings, warriors and the like. All are imaginary.

- "To get, you do."
It's the truth. Mixing it with any emotion(fear, pride, etc.) or concept(morality, ethics, etc.) is fiction.

No opinion you may hold is worth anything, or matters to anything(including my own, of course). Love or hate apples, an apple is an apple.
We're human beings, complete objectivity is a fairytale.
Nihilism is a foolish truth.

Darko Jocic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jul 14, 2014
Serbia
@Potente True, we're animals. Still, complete objectivity is true. It's a truth, even if one we cannot grasp.

What we can do, is strive. And adapt.

Just because we can't fly, doesn't mean we shouldn't make airplanes.

If acceptance is being at peace with the state of things, then, acceptance is atrophy.

Of course, all of this is true only if one doesn't strive towards atrophy. Given the usual human modus operandi, it's fair to assume that what I written is in most cases true.

Things can be true without being the truth, but I'm sure you know.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
It's always the young, almost totally unaccomplished internet-cave dwellers talking all this alpha lion war analogy stuff (and bloggers who sell sub-par ebooks to them.)

I run a small muay thai class at my university. Every beginning of semester, these lion people come to the class trying to show us up in sparring.

They get chewed up and spat out within a week.

Not a single successful small business owner I've done work for spouts this crap. Seriously.

JohnZ123

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Jan 23, 2014
Focusing on the self-interest of others, in order to get what YOU want, is a Law of Power:

Perhaps you should make threads more often. A little disagreement never hurt anyone.

I'm not sure I see the wisdom in attacking people for having goals. People have needs and wants. Those needs and wants are attainable with money and specific amounts of money.

Buying a home, for yourself, for your family, for those you love requires a specific amount of money. What's wrong with setting a goal?

Maybe you haven't. I have. Almost everyone I talk to on a daily basis is a partner, executive or owner of a company that does between $1,000,000 - $400,000,000 in revenue. Trust me. They don't get there by not having specific goals.

What do you think a CEO of any successful company is focused on? Revenue and profit. If he's not, he's a stupid CEO.

Funny. I saw an episode of "Beyond the Tank" yesterday, a series that shows what happens to Shark Tank participants after they receive investment. The featured business owner was a USA-based businessman whose business was failing after receiving an investment from Robert.

It was revealed that the business was failing because of the businessman's foolish desire to not be "greedy." This desire reflected itself in a bad strategy: He was holding onto USA-based employees, instead of outsourcing overseas.

Robert posed this question to him: What is more important, saving your American employees, or saving your business?

When you run a business, you run an Limited Liability Company, or some type of Corporation.

You are NOT running a non-profit organization.

Want to help people simply for the sake of helping people, without focusing at all on the money you get in return? Want to give, give, give? Great. That's admirable. The United States is the most charitable country in the world, donating over $200 freakin' billion dollars a year to charity. The United States, home of all the greedy capitalists, is the most giving country in the world.

Just don't get it twisted. Do business for profit. Donate to the salvation army when you're feeling charitable.

The richest, most highly paid businessmen on the planet are hedge fund managers. No one else compares. They're focused on the money, returns, dividends, etc.

@Omega

This is why a fundamental understanding of philosophy and logic is important. Otherwise, you get confused.

Let's break this down rationally.

Suppose Bob is the most selfish guy on the planet. He is Narcissus in the flesh, in fact. He is in love with himself, and only himself. He doesn't give a crap about anyone on the planet but himself.

More than anything, Bob wants money, so he can construct a home made entirely out of mirrors. Every inch of this extravagant home will show Bob his reflection.

Bob consults a home builder and asks for an estimate. The builder tells Bob that his home will cost a gazillion dollars to build.

Bob ponders this situation deeply for quite some time. How on earth will he make a gazillion dollars? He didn't even know how much a gazillion was? It sounds like more than a billion, maybe even more than a trillion.

Bob logically figures that the only way to get such a huge amount of money is to get other humans to give him that money.

Ergot, Bob decides to give the world - billions of humans - something that they all want. He creates something. He solves a massive need that affects billions of people.

Bob gets his gazillion dollars.

The point is that the focus on "need" is indeed necessary.

However, it is a foolish and illogical mistake to assume that focusing on the needs of others is the root cause behind Bob's success. The root behind Bob's success is his own selfish and personal greed. He would never have created the product, never unleashed the service on the marketplace... unless there was something in it for him.

You obviously have never read the stories of hedge fund managers.

One of my business mentors was a hedge fund manager worth $400 million. He didn't worry about bird food (10k companies). He liked the fact that most people think like you, because it left the big bread on the table for big guys who thought big like him.

You are clearly contradicting yourself here.

First, you say that successful people don't focus on themselves, they focus on others.

Then, you say that they focus on THEIR vision and THEIR purpose.

Some people want billions, and they get it with a fundamentally different thought process.

Focusing on "needs" is great if you are trying to "think of" a business idea.

Once you have something to sell, it's time to focus on the money.

Continue to treat money, greed, profit and revenue like curse words and you may stay in the slow lane forever.

I recently met the President of an Inc 500 company at his company's headquarters. In the conference room, there was a list of the companies five top objectives.

#1 was revenue.

#2 was profit.

Incidentally, "Give, give, give, give," was nowhere to be found on the list.

You learn how real businessmen think and real successful companies think by engaging with them OFF of the Internet, not by pontificating false theory the Internet.

Good thread, though. Hopefully it clears up some confusion on a seemingly widely misunderstood concept.

Great perspective

D

DeletedUser396

There must be some seriously dissatisfied women in your life.
There must be no women in your life.

It's always the young, almost totally unaccomplished internet-cave dwellers talking all this alpha lion war analogy stuff (and bloggers who sell sub-par ebooks to them.)

I run a small muay thai class at my university. Every beginning of semester, these lion people come to the class trying to show us up in sparring.

They get chewed up and spat out within a week.

Not a single successful small business owner I've done work for spouts this crap. Seriously.
Study history.

Last edited by a moderator:

JustAskBenWhy

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Sep 8, 2015
Lima, OH
I haven't been here for a while, but I noticed that Ben is here now, so I thought I was stop in... :)

Anyway, here's another take on whether there's value in saying, "I want to make $X per ..." A bunch of years ago, I started a real estate business. It grew pretty quickly, and after about 5 years, I came to a crossroads where I could either attempt to massively grow that business or put it on auto-pilot. I decided to go the auto-pilot route, but specifically did enough work to position the business where I essentially work hard enough to make $X per year (I defined X).

Then, about two years ago, I had the opportunity to get into another business that I wasn't very excited about and I knew I'd never make 8-figures doing, but I also knew that I could scale it to the point where I was making $Y per year with relatively no participation on my part. So, I spent a year building that business to the point where I was making $Y/year (I defined Y).

I now have two businesses that each generate well into the 6-figures with a total of about 2 hours/week of effort on my part. Is the money from those businesses going to change my life or my lifestyle? Nope. But, that $X+Y per year did provide me the opportunity to launch a new business last year without having to worry about startup costs, not taking a salary for a year or two, etc. THAT business does have the opportunity to earn 8-figures, and I'm able to focus on it full-time for as long as I want without having to worry about digging into savings to pay bills, etc.

In other words, because I took two businesses down the path of just earning $X per year, I've freed myself up (financially, emotionally, psychologically, physically) to focus on bigger entrepreneurial efforts. For that reason, the $X per year businesses have been invaluable to me.

Too many people get into the mindset that there's a right way and a wrong way to do things, and if you're not doing it "the right way," then you're necessarily doing it "the wrong way." Life (and business) doesn't work that way...
Fancy seeing you here, Jason. A couple of things come to mind:
1. You are a really smart dude no matter where I am bumping into you
2. You are much better-looking in real life than your avatar here
3. Question - how do you place a value on "doing it your way"? You obviously are, and so am I. Life is a thing of beauty. Creating income is a game, an art, and a perspective of reality. How much is that worth to be able to do what we do?

Great to see you here!

tnzk

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jun 26, 2015
London, United Kingdom
I'm not good with numbers, because my brain moves so fast that I tend to be quite imprecise. So with my useful confirmation bias I gobbled up everything about how "numbers don't matter to a successful business" over the years. Guru after guru.

I wasn't really making any dent with my businesses, or in my personal finance.

And even during those times of delusion, I always knew that numbers were the language of business.

One of my goals now is to make 1400 USD in a part-time business (creating brand logos for people, click my profile), over the next 90 days. I had to break down how I go from $10 (where I'm starting) an hour to $70 an hour (to get to $1400 a week over 20 hours) to hit that goal.

Now whether I hit that goal or not is a different story, but the fact remains I've never been more clearer about business than when I started embracing numbers.

It's the language of business!

Last edited:

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
You guys are confusing "goals" with "company vision" or "mission statement".

99% of successful people and companies have goals. However, those goals "should" be aligned with your vision.

In the example given:
Vision: "Double the size of 10k companies" - VALUE BASED
Goal: Sign up 1K customers and get to 100K in recurring monthly revenue in 3 years. - PERFORMANCE BASED

You need both and successful companies have both.

Exactly

Just because companies express their mission statement which is about "blabla making the world a better place" it doesnt mean that their goal isnt only money.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Focusing on the number is useful to a lot of people, myself included. I do think the focus on the "number" is the wrong approach for this thread.

More so people should be honest, realistic what the amount of effort they put in and what they expect in return. What you can make is also dependent on your business, industry, your position in the industry, leverage that you have or don't have.

I also agree with the fact that the main focus or the main point of business is to provide the BEST, the MOST VALUE.

Only by providing the best and most value will you find the money comes along a bit easier (of course depending on the business).

My suggestion --- Start small and move upward. Your goals will increase once you start noticing opportunities for what it's worth. Don't kid yourself that it's easy - it's definitely not. Grind and work your a$$ off and keep working every time you don't feel like working - Get back to work.

It does take time to be successful unless you are starting with capital. It's a long road ahead when you are going to bootstrap your business. Majority of successes took years...so start putting in that time.

Trade your small successes for more capital to regain (capital + time) and move into a more lucrative business. Keep hustling and don't stop. NO pain no gain!

I do recommend on focusing on one thing and doing it really well, multiple projects are doable just make sure each project get's the right amount of effort to really create an impact!

I disagree a lot on most points

I agree its good to have small goals while keeping an eye out on bigger things.

U shouldn't always try to provide the best or most value, u should try to create an attractive value proposition, thats two different things.

Also starting with or without capital is usually not such big difference. You can make big bucks starting with 0. Relationships and money isnt as important as slowlaners think it is.

I agree that u need patience and not expect crazy returns in no time.

relentlessaction

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Dec 18, 2015
Also starting with or without capital is usually not such big difference. You can make big bucks starting with 0. Relationships and money isnt as important as slowlaners think it is.

I agree that u need patience and not expect crazy returns in no time.

Have successful business owners who are successful start a new business with $0... Doubt it..

Why, when you can do it much quicker with money.

Ecom man

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
496%
Apr 17, 2014
Have successful business owners who are successful start a new business with $0... Doubt it..

I started with absolutely nothing and really no idea what I was doing. I did 950k last year in sales. There are many successful business owners that started with nothing and built their businesses to multi million dollar companies.

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam

I did like 600k in 6 months, first month 3k. I used 0$ to start.

I think very talented and experienced people can indeed do it faster by buying companies and then grow profits but thats not easy to do.
For me I rather start with nothing and build everything than to risk a large sum in an industry I likely dont know better than the competition.

The "fast" way often leads to losses
And the "slow" way can be much faster than ud expect.

Ill start a new firm in April and Ill only need like 1000 to start, likely less. Costs are legal start up fees, imports and shopify fees.
If my bizz will completely fail which it will prolly not, Ive only lost a little bit of money and my time while having learned a lot of operational things.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.