The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why "Goal is to make 1k a week" Is The Wrong Approach.

Anything related to matters of the mind

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
I try not to make any threads on this forum for many reasons...

But there's too many people coming here with these goals to "make x amount in x amount of time".

Have you EVER heard a already successful business say their goal is to "make x amount this year"?

No...

Why? Tell me Why haven't you heard this...

Because it's the wrong mindset to have.

Who are you focused on if your goal is to make x amount of money?

Yourself.

And boys and girls of the fastlane forum... what have you learned since you've bee here, who do you have to focus on to make x amount of money...

Everyone BUT yourself.

Look, I get it, money is very important, yes you want to make more, but keep that "I want" mentality in the back of your head and have it be the last priority you have.

Example: What is the goal of DigitalMarketer.com?

Do you think a very successful company like that, has a meeting where they discuss their goal for the company and they make their #1 priority "Yes members of the board, our goal is to make 100 million in the year 2016".

No...

Their goal is "double the size of 10k companies".

They're focused on their vision. Their purpose.

Their purpose of existing.

They're focused on others, not themselves. They focus on helping business's grow.

What's the result?

They in return get what THEY want, millions of dollars.

Give Give Give Give... Stop thinking about yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Do you think a very successful company like that, has a meeting where they discuss their goal for the company and they make their #1 priority "Yes members of the board, our goal is to make 100 million in the year 2016".
Wow, I very strongly disagree. Successful companies, big and small alike, have a sales target for every year. In my experience, those that don't usually flounder.

Company I am working with right now has been experiencing exponential growth every year, and the CEO has a very clear number that he wants to hit next year...and a lot of time has gone into projecting that number and understanding what needs to be done to hit it.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Wow, I very strongly disagree. Successful companies, big and small alike, have a sales target for every year. In my experience, those that don't usually flounder.

Company I am working with right now has been experiencing exponential growth every year, and the CEO has a very clear number that he wants to hit next year...and a lot of time has gone into projecting that number and understanding what needs to be done to hit it.
Your absolutely right.

I'm 1000% wrong. I shouldn't of make the thread.

I knew I shouldn't of.

You're smart.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I agree with what both of you are saying, and think I know where @The Grind is coming from. Of course, an established company will have financial goals, but for the guy sitting alone on his computer writing for a living or sourcing products or designing an MVP or whatever, to think about financial goals before making money is getting ahead of themselves.

The guy making $0 and wanting to make $GOAL a week needs to figure out what people need and will buy for $X first, then repeatedly do what they need to do to reach their goal.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
I agree with what both of you are saying, and think I know where @The Grind is coming from. Of course, an established company will have financial goals, but for the guy sitting alone on his computer writing for a living or sourcing products or designing an MVP or whatever, to think about financial goals before making money is getting ahead of themselves.

The guy making $0 and wanting to make $GOAL a week needs to figure out what people need and will buy for $X first, then repeatedly do what they need to do to reach their goal.

I agree with the overall sentiment. Focusing on the money too soon is bad news.

But to say successful companies aren't paying attention to it, and that it's not important is...well...just incorrect.

I have been in meetings where this exact situation has occurred:

I understand the moral of the story. But the story itself needs to have some substance too.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014

But to say successful companies aren't paying attention to it, and that it's not important is...well...just incorrect.

I have been in meetings where this exact situation has occurred:

I understand the moral of the story. But the story itself needs to have some substance too.
I did NOT say they aren't paying attention to making money at all.

Obviously big companies focus on making money no F*cking shit...

You took the 1 thing from the post that's irrelevant to the message too literally.

Similar to what the mainstream media does lol... takes one thing, blows it up, puts it out of context, takes it way too literally, and "misses" the message or "nuanced" point of what's being said.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I did NOT say they aren't paying attention to making money at all.

Obviously big companies focus on making money no F*cking shit...

You took the 1 thing from the post that's irrelevant to the message too literally.

Similar to what the mainstream media does lol... takes one thing, blows it up, puts it out of context, takes it way too literally, and "misses" the message or "nuanced" point of what's being said.

Bruh, you need to take a chill pill. If you read his post, he said

And obviously he's going to take it literally. Why else would we pay attention to any advice here that we can't take literally?

relentlessaction

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Dec 18, 2015
Focusing on the number is useful to a lot of people, myself included. I do think the focus on the "number" is the wrong approach for this thread.

More so people should be honest, realistic what the amount of effort they put in and what they expect in return. What you can make is also dependent on your business, industry, your position in the industry, leverage that you have or don't have.

I also agree with the fact that the main focus or the main point of business is to provide the BEST, the MOST VALUE.

Only by providing the best and most value will you find the money comes along a bit easier (of course depending on the business).

My suggestion --- Start small and move upward. Your goals will increase once you start noticing opportunities for what it's worth. Don't kid yourself that it's easy - it's definitely not. Grind and work your a$$ off and keep working every time you don't feel like working - Get back to work.

It does take time to be successful unless you are starting with capital. It's a long road ahead when you are going to bootstrap your business. Majority of successes took years...so start putting in that time.

Trade your small successes for more capital to regain (capital + time) and move into a more lucrative business. Keep hustling and don't stop. NO pain no gain!

I do recommend on focusing on one thing and doing it really well, multiple projects are doable just make sure each project get's the right amount of effort to really create an impact!

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Have you EVER heard a already successful business say their goal is to "make x amount this year"?

No...

Why? Tell me Why haven't you heard this...
Nearly all of them do..public companies at least.

Sales forecast, earnings forecast, projections, earnings guidance..

G

Guest34764

Your absolutely right.

I knew I shouldn't of.

You're smart.

It's a good thing you made this thread because It clears up some stuff.

Others answered and gave correct information because of your "misconception".

Therefore, your thread has provided value because of you.

Therefore, making the thread was a good idea.

Sometimes It's okay to be wrong.Just learn from the mistakes.

Cheers OP!

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Well, looks like this list might have got one more thing added to it ;)
5e9c9232870edf49ac98cdd8ba09a7d1.jpg

tumblr_n8fuljP0KH1qb3quho1_250.gif

giphy.gif

QaBS5.gif

148dl55.jpg

NewJamesBond

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Nov 29, 2015
haha, my thread is called, "my goal is to make $1K" a week or something like that. Either way I agree it's not all about the money, but ever sense focusing on building up my businesses or choosing to make more money, I am making more money. I'm focusing on finding higher value clients and changing up the way I work.

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
I can see both sides of the coin, but there's no reason why 'I want to earn this much in this amount of time' and 'I want to make my clients successful' can't go hand in hand.

In my field there are a LOT of meetings that start with ''Our target for revenue is....''.
Followed by ''... and this is how we're going to get there.''

In fact, the further down the chain and closer to the action you go, the more the scales tip from ''Deliver value to the client'' to ''this hurts our bottom line''

The two aren't mutually exclusive and in many ways tie in with each other, the important thing is keeping the distinction that the answer to how we get there needs to be ''adding value'', not ''by charging x amount per job''

Last edited:

happybhoy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 2, 2015
Ecosse
Where did they get the 10k number from?
They probably looked at last year's revenues and worked out how much value they need to provided to hit the new target.
The revenue is their goal, they just know that helping 10k businesses will get them there.

nomeus

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 16, 2015
My friends company did $7 million in sales this year ($3 million last year). They aim for $15 million next year. That is their goal. But to reach their goal they have several objectives - 1) Add more products; 2) increase margins by buying bigger volumes; 3) lower average shipping time and cost by opening second manufacturing location and so on. So goal of making x amount of money is not exactly wrong if you know the steps and have a clear vision of how to reach it.

IGP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 24, 2015
You guys are confusing "goals" with "company vision" or "mission statement".

99% of successful people and companies have goals. However, those goals "should" be aligned with your vision.

In the example given:
Vision: "Double the size of 10k companies" - VALUE BASED
Goal: Sign up 1K customers and get to 100K in recurring monthly revenue in 3 years. - PERFORMANCE BASED

You need both and successful companies have both.

SlowlaneJay

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Oct 25, 2014
Bogotá, Colombia
Is this like a tongue-in-cheek rant? I find it hard to believe that you actually support an opinion like this. You've stated before that money is what's important to you, and wanting to be a producer is just Fastlane propaganda.

Just seems odd coming from the same guy who goes:

I joined one of these copywriting masterminds before...

I asked the group how much money they were making, every single one of them almost had a heart attack as if actually making money was against their religion.

Wonder if this one will actually make you guys some money instead of being obsessed fastlane fan boys being obsessed with "providing value" but at the end of the day not making a dime.

Or this shit: Here's how much I made

I feel like this was more a writing exercise for you, or possibly a test to see how the forum would react. Or just like-bait? Or something? I don't know, I'm very confused. Damn near every time I see you post something it's related to making money vs. creating value.

Doesn't seem to line up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Newpollz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
Nov 14, 2015
Your absolutely right.

I knew I shouldn't of.

You're smart.

Just because someone does not agree with your opinion that doesn't mean that you should not express it. The worse thing that can happen (as long as you stay polite and respectful) is that you are going to start a discussion and learn from it, whether you're wrong or right.

Aaron W

^‿^
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Nov 25, 2015
Toronto
>personal opinion<
It's a hard topic to debate because it depends ultimately on the person behind the 'Let's make $x this year'.

You have the money chasers who just want to make $1000 without doing anything and providing shit to the world. Get some dodgy product about IM and try and squeeze every penny they can.
*I feel like this post is aimed at this category.

Next you have the let's make a business, provide our service/product to the world and aim to 'make $x this year'. However, this should be backed up by a reason aka: so we can expand our business and provide more value/so I can work from home and develop my awesome business that helps people/so we can develop more products and add them to our line etc...

Then you have the established business who want to set goals. Let's make $x next year. However, they're ready and firing to push more work out, develop the business and make it stronger overall. Example: SaaS business has ran for a year, made $100k+ in net income and they now want to hire developers to fix clients issues to make the business better. This leads on to more users giving positive reviews and recommending the service that equals more revenue.

brewster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 25, 2014
Austin, TX
There's a reason I had this guy on ignore...

One too many passive-aggressive posts.

But I just couldn't resist clicking unignore after seeing all the replies. Shame on me.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
You've got a lot of Anger man.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
It's a good thing you made this thread because It clears up some stuff.

Others answered and gave correct information because of your "misconception".

Therefore, your thread has provided value because of you.

Therefore, making the thread was a good idea.

Sometimes It's okay to be wrong.Just learn from the mistakes.

Cheers OP!
wtf are you taling about...

im not wrong at all.

focus on providing value, not money. period.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
wtf are you taling about...

im not wrong at all.

focus on providing value, not money. period.

So... your initial reply to csalvato was just you being a sarcastic teenager that's afraid of any criticism?

The fact of the matter is that a company can focus on sales/profits/hitting numbers AND also provide value to customers. You seem to think that the two are mutually exclusive. The world just isn't that black and white...

Reading through this thread... dude just take a step back and have a chill pill. Whenever you say something like "im not wrong at all" it's a good idea to re-evaluate and critique yourself. It's rare that things are that simple.

Travis.I

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 11, 2014
Washington, US
Great post. Helps to get people thinking.

But some companies actually do in some meetings like around this time have goals such as making 100 million in 2016. But I understand where this post is coming from. Or at least, I hope I know.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
So... your reply to csalvato was just you being a sarcastic teenager that's afraid of any criticism?

The fact of the matter is that a company can focus on sales/profits/hitting numbers AND also provide value to customers. You seem to think that the two are mutually exclusive. The world just isn't that black and white...

Reading through this thread... dude just take a step back and have a chill pill. Whenever you say something like "im not wrong at all" it's a good idea to re-evaluate and critique yourself. It's rare that things are that simple.
Teenager...

lmao.

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
So... your initial reply to csalvato was just you being a sarcastic teenager that's afraid of any criticism?

But im not wrong... at all.

Just like the media taking something and taking it way out of context, thats exactly what he did.

The entire point of the post was to make the point money shouldnt be your focus, value should be.

Thanks.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.