The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do successful people hide?

Anything related to matters of the mind

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Check this video out from Grant Cardone:
For the haters: Before you dismiss the message because it's from Grant Cardone, just realize that the dude is incredibly successful, both as a marketer and as a real estate investor. His net worth is about $200m and I highly doubt there's anyone on this forum who's as successful as him.

This just made me think of that one statement that I've heard about 2 years ago when I watching a dude on YouTube, who was showing the differences between rich and poor people. One time he said: "Money likes silence". Wow.

Why is that though? Why don't successful entrepreneurs show people how it's really done? It's still very few of them in the grand scheme of things.

For instance, probably the most successful guy that I know is one investor who's worth about $500m, here in my city. He has the craziest car collection, everything from Lamborghini Miura, Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari LaFerrari, Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari F12 tdf, McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari SF90 Stradale and so on. He's also in the Ferrari Club(you have to show ownership of 7 Ferraris to be included). He's also got a $13m house with an underground garage, which is like $25-$30m in California.

That dude doesn't even have social media; no FB, no Instagram, nada. Just email and his phone. It's also probably because he's almost 60 and he comes from a different generation. Point is, he never shows off or anything like that. People may perceive it as that but that's not the case. That's just his life.

Same thing with all the other pretty successful guys who are under the radar in my city. No one knows about them but they're there if you search for them.

And for sure, you do have very successful entrepreneurs with powerful presences who are sharing their lives and stuff now. That's a good thing. People like Andy Frisella, Manny Khosbin, Grant Cardone, Patrick from Valuetainment, MJ DeMarco and so on. They're showing you: "Hey, this is possible for you bro!". Before it was more of a mystery and now it's becoming more and more revalent.

And then you also got the Facebook or Amazon FBA gurus, who are most likely renting fast cars in suits and are the pretenders. I'm not talking about them here.

Why is it not that common? Maybe Grant is right about that, they don't wanna share it because it's just a waste of their time?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Why is that though? Why don't successful entrepreneurs show people how it's really done?
It's still very few of them in the grand scheme of things.

Successful people are highly effective with their time and efforts.
Most are going to go where their lessons and advice are best received and actually used.

This usually isn't social media - it's their own employees, close network, mentees, business groups etc.
Most successful people get just a lot of hate and nonsense from social media - why should they bother?

The tone of this email is "they are hiding" - like they owe you something.
Rather as I would see it as they are selective, they put their efforts into where it will get the best results.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I see you live in Norway which is one of the safest countries in the world. It seems like that paints the way you see the world.

Try flashing your shit in other countries and you'll become a target.

Or as they say in the crypto world, HFBK (have fun being killed).

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Successful people are highly effective with their time and efforts.
Most are going to go where their lessons and advice are best received and actually used.

This usually isn't social media - it's their own employees, close network, mentees, business groups etc.
Most successful people get just a lot of hate and nonsense from social media - why should they bother?

The tone of this email is "they are hiding" - like they owe you something.
Rather as I would see it as they are selective, they put their efforts into where it will get the best results.
For sure. Yeah, you're from Poland so you know how it is. My family is Polish and that "hate" towards successful/rich people is very common right there. It's not as common here in Norway though. Maybe it's a culture thing?

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
I see you live in Norway which is one of the safest countries in the world. It seems like that paints the way you see the world.

Try flashing your shit in other countries and you'll become a target.

Or as they say in the crypto world, HFBK (have fun being killed).
I guess you're right about that. Aren't you from the US?

Doesn't it also take place in America? I mean sure, there are some places like LA, Miami or NYC so it's probably different there as people are somewhat used to that. What about other states though?

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
You make yourself a target for ridicule, jealousy, stalking, robbery, burglary, extortion, kidnapping, scammers, salesmen, time-wasters, journalists, tax authorities, police, politicians, lawyers, beggars / charity, and the list goes on.

If you want to impress, you probably want to impress your peers, not people you don't know or who do not bring a benefit.

If someone you is trying to impress you, ask yourself why. It could be that they want to inspire others, but there are many possible reasons.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Why don't successful entrepreneurs show people how it's really done?
Teaching people is likely a different market and offer than their current business. Maybe they prefer to grow their current business rather than start another?

And maybe they prefer to build their business brand than their personal brand?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

A great line I heard was to save your best coaching for your team.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
You make yourself a target for ridicule, jealousy, stalking, robbery, burglary, extortion, kidnapping, scammers, salesmen, time-wasters, journalists, tax authorities, police, politicians, lawyers, beggars / charity, and the list goes on.

If you want to impress, you probably want to impress your peers, not people you don't know or who do not bring a benefit.

If someone you is trying to impress you, ask yourself why. It could be that they want to inspire others, but there are many possible reasons.
Oh yeah, jealousy is definitely a reason. If somebody pulls up in a Lambo or Ferrari somewhere, most people's immediate reaction would be "What a douchebag" or "he/she's showing off" instead of appreciating the hard workthe man/woman has put to own a car like that and getting some inspiration.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Teaching people is likely a different market and offer than their current business. Maybe they prefer to grow their current business rather than start another?

And maybe they prefer to build their business brand than their personal brand?
Yeah, it could be. Or they maybe they think social media is a waste of time. The first dude is in private equity which doesn't really support him as a businessman.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

the guillotines outside the house of Jeff Bezos are a good clue.

bezos-guillotine-1.jpg

Most people don't understand economics, business, or much of anything. They think if you have a ferrari, you probably sold drugs or robbed someone.

They are wrong.

Still, an angry mob with pitchforks is an angry mob with pitchforks.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
the guillotines outside the house of Jeff Bezos are a good clue.
That picture explains everything
bezos-guillotine-1.jpg

Most people don't understand economics, business, or much of anything. They think if you have a ferrari, you probably sold drugs or robbed someone.

They are wrong.

Still, an angry mob with pitchforks is an angry mob with pitchforks.
That picture explains everything! It's such a shame that people like to discredit other people's success!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
maybe they think social media is a waste of time
The CEO of a newish client just ramped up ad spend and hired 30 more people in their call center.

What tickled me is that his LinkedIn profile is barely filled in. He doesn’t gaf about LinkedIn and company branding… he just cares about direct response, ROAS, and scaling.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
The CEO of a newish client just ramped up ad spend and hired 30 more people in their call center.

What tickled me is that his LinkedIn profile is barely filled in. He doesn’t gaf about LinkedIn and company branding… he just cares about direct response, ROAS, and scaling.
That's very interesting. Do you use LinkedIn a lot?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
For instance, probably the most successful guy that I know is one investor who's worth about $500m, here in my city. He has the craziest car collection, everything from Lamborghini Miura, Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari LaFerrari, Ferrari Enzo, Ferrari F12 tdf, McLaren P1, Porsche 918 Spyder, Ferrari SF90 Stradale and so on. He's also in the Ferrari Club(you have to show ownership of 7 Ferraris to be included). He's also got a $13m house with an underground garage, which is like $25-$30m in California.

That dude doesn't even have social media; no FB, no Instagram, nada. Just email and his phone. It's also probably because he's almost 60 and he comes from a different generation. Point is, he never shows off or anything like that.
Dude, sometimes your arguments make no sense. How do you know this guy has all those cars and is in the Ferrari club and has a $13M house? And then you go on to say, he never shows off. He obviously did something somewhere to make others aware of his cars.

You know who is really the rich dude that doesn't show off? Yes, it's the guy you don't know about.

I'm also going to point out something odd I see in your posts. Maybe you don't see it, but look at this sentence that you wrote.

"He's also got a $13m house with an underground garage, which is like $25-$30m in California."

Why did you have to mention that his $13M house would cost $25-$30M in California? Was having a $13M home not impressive enough in addition to all those cars that you had to some how compare housing prices in two different countries? I'm curious about this.

Why is it not that common? Maybe Grant is right about that, they don't wanna share it because it's just a waste of their time?
You ask this as if it is an obligation for people to share their knowledge.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I think it's really not hiding, but understanding you don't need to be front and center and the focal point as a leader. They're normal people. Depends on the person since they're all different and how they stand out in the community since you have different businesses. You might hear about a few more than others depending on what they've built in the community or contributed.

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
Dude, sometimes your arguments make no sense. How do you know this guy has all those cars and is in the Ferrari club and has a $13M house? And then you go on to say, he never shows off. He obviously did something somewhere to make others aware of his cars.

You know who is really the rich dude that doesn't show off? Yes, it's the guy you don't know about.

I'm also going to point out something odd I see in your posts. Maybe you don't see it, but look at this sentence that you wrote.

"He's also got a $13m house with an underground garage, which is like $25-$30m in California."

Why did you have to mention that his $13M house would cost $25-$30M in California? Was having a $13M home not impressive enough in addition to all those cars that you had to some how compare housing prices in two different countries? I'm curious about this.

Because you need to own 7 Ferraris to be in the Ferrari club. In case you don't know what it is; it's a club where you have to show ownership of 7 Ferraris in order to have a shot for a limited edition Ferrari.

Houses in California are more expensive than other parts of the US, maybe outside of Palm Beach and some other individual areas like Bevely Glen, Malibu etc. That's a statistical fact, you can look it up yourself.

I know that information because I used to read a local financial newspaper here called Finansavisen(which is a financial newspaper), and he is interviewed there every 9 months or so. And I had one good friend of mine who took a picture of his Bugatti Veyron in front of his house. Guess what, if you're the only guy who owns a Bugatti Veyron in your country, you're sure gonna get a lot of attention from car enthusiasts.

And please dude, don't take things out of context next time.

GreyGoose66

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Dec 17, 2021
I read a book a month ago that it mentions something about your quesiton. so why do rich people hid? it is because they want to stay low and not being investigated or noticed the thing they are doing. The book also lists couple facts or statements.

1. Competition brings no benefit to the corportation and monopoly is the only way to be top rich. These rich people know that. So they don't want the market, public or government to spot them and know what they are doing cuz the competition will increase and their profit goes down. Like if you are the only tax driver in your community, you can control the price and have higher bargaining power. Once you have a competitor who offers cheaper price, you are losing your competitive advantages and your price has to go lower to attract the passengers.

2. They want to stay low for not being marked as 'monopoly'. The book mentions that a successful company that is in monoply position is most likely to tell everyone the market is hightly competitive (ie. Google). A new company, oppositly, like to tell everyone that the market is fresh and has plenty of opportunities. Once the rich company is marked monopoly, you know what come after them. Also, more people will join the market once they found the chance in the market.

3. Well, I am a Chinese Amazon Seller in China. We don't like to share and tell people what we are selling one Amazon because other seller will sell what im selling once i told them, and i don't want that happen. We have a old saying here in China, 闷声发大财,means getting rich quietly. I guess it basically is trying to keep a low profile and avoid competition.

Btw, I guess the book is called Zero to One by Peter Thiel. Amazon.com

Kybalion

Renegade Master
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Oct 5, 2018
Here's a bit of a cynical perspective: It's because most people are too dumb.

Just to make this a bit more real - imagine you were put in prison with serial killers (by accident).

Would you go around telling them how killing is bad "mmkay"?

Or would you tell them about nice things you have in your cell to inspire them?

No, you wouldn't.

Because A# - they are not ready for your message (even if your intention is helping them it'll fall on deaf ears)

And B# - like others here said - you don't want to become a target.

So not only is it a waste of time it's also self-destructive.

Now before you say "most people are not serial-killers" for a rich person the average people kinda seem a bit insane (just like serial killer seems insane to us).

The average person is so locked in on low-level drama, self-harming ego B.S., illogical commie ideologies no advice can land. And not only that - they'll put their ''crab-in-a-bucket" shenanigans on you to try and pull you down as well.

Not killing doesn't make sense for a serial killer... just like success doesn't make sense for most people. So why bother?

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Because you need to own 7 Ferraris to be in the Ferrari club. In case you don't know what it is; it's a club where you have to show ownership of 7 Ferraris in order to have a shot for a limited edition Ferrari.

Houses in California are more expensive than other parts of the US, maybe outside of Palm Beach and some other individual areas like Bevely Glen, Malibu etc. That's a statistical fact, you can look it up yourself.

I know that information because I used to read a local financial newspaper here called Finansavisen(which is a financial newspaper), and he is interviewed there every 9 months or so. And I had one good friend of mine who took a picture of his Bugatti Veyron in front of his house. Guess what, if you're the only guy who owns a Bugatti Veyron in your country, you're sure gonna get a lot of attention from car enthusiasts.

@Martin Z , you remind me of someone here that used to know a lot of billionaires and had a talent for music too. ( if you know, you know):rofl:

Please don’t take it wrong. When someone like @biophase ask questions, you better ask yourself why.

I am deviating from the main topic because it might help you. You seem very focused on understanding the “rich mentality” and that’s fine.

I like what you shared, I get the point. It gave us all our 15 minutes of dopamine. Now let’s get back to work.

I’d rather call up rich guy that lays low and work a deal with him rather than trying to understand why he lays low.

How does understanding now what he gets through at his level help me as a starter?

If you get my message wrong too, I’m sorry.

wolflarsen71

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Feb 25, 2022
Argentina
Is a mix of things. First one, safety. I know a guy that has a lot of bakeries, client of mine, and one day he cancelled an appointment because they had shot him in the arm (burglars enter his house). He was showing up his wealth too much. Of course these things dont happen in some countries but they can steel from you without violence. Add the natural urge to hang out with like-minded and status people, that might look they are hiding from us but is not true, you just want people that can share the same money-linked and time-linked experiences
Second is envy and resentment, more than half of people in a given society has it. Its a disease in the brain and they have it for unconscious reasons. Sometimes is natural, I dont want to talk about politics, but the government destroying money value and pumping artificial debt creates incresing inequality, people feel the system works against you and buy the wrong message and villains. A sick person will feel like killing the rich (the well earned fortunes) explicit communism and not solving the real problem. If you are a honest rich person, you get hate and envy for free from some people. Is not pleasent.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

Yes, but I was asking why it was relevant to your point.

I know that information because I used to read a local financial newspaper here called Finansavisen(which is a financial newspaper), and he is interviewed there every 9 months or so.

So the dude never shows off but is interviewed every 9 months?

And I had one good friend of mine who took a picture of his Bugatti Veyron in front of his house. Guess what, if you're the only guy who owns a Bugatti Veyron in your country, you're sure gonna get a lot of attention from car enthusiasts.

And this is why many wealthy people "hide". People taking pictures of his car in front of his house.

There was nothing taken out of context. In fact, it was literally the opposite. There was nothing but context in my post.

The WolfPreneur

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 26, 2022
India
Check this video out from Grant Cardone:
For the haters: Before you dismiss the message because it's from Grant Cardone, just realize that the dude is incredibly successful, both as a marketer and as a real estate investor. His net worth is about $200m and I highly doubt there's anyone on this forum who's as successful as him.

This just made me think of that one statement that I've heard about 2 years ago when I watching a dude on YouTube, who was showing the differences between rich and poor people. One time he said: "Money likes silence". Wow.

Why is that though? Why don't successful entrepreneurs show people how it's really done? It's still very few of them in the grand scheme of things.

That dude doesn't even have social media; no FB, no Instagram, nada. Just email and his phone. It's also probably because he's almost 60 and he comes from a different generation. Point is, he never shows off or anything like that. People may perceive it as that but that's not the case. That's just his life.

Same thing with all the other pretty successful guys who are under the radar in my city. No one knows about them but they're there if you search for them.

And for sure, you do have very successful entrepreneurs with powerful presences who are sharing their lives and stuff now. That's a good thing. People like Andy Frisella, Manny Khosbin, Grant Cardone, Patrick from Valuetainment, MJ DeMarco and so on. They're showing you: "Hey, this is possible for you bro!". Before it was more of a mystery and now it's becoming more and more revalent.

And then you also got the Facebook or Amazon FBA gurus, who are most likely renting fast cars in suits and are the pretenders. I'm not talking about them here.

The most important asset of successful people is their time and showing off is just a waste of their time. What they focus on is improving the life of others and impacting the world in a big way

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
Or that they give a crap about doing it.

The underlying assumption is that someone's life will be infinitely better by broadcasting it 24/7 to a million strangers that you'll never meet. That's called being an entertainer. Or a narcissist. Or a politician. Or a celebrity. You can decide which bucket Mr. $200M falls into to understand why he keeps making videos featuring himself.

Try meeting a bunch of wealthy people in person instead of watching them on YouTube. After the first ten, fifty or five hundred, you're going to discover those same people have personality traits, beliefs and attitudes that are no different than any equal sized group of random strangers, friends or a litter of puppies. There isn't a money gene that makes everyone act alike after a certain net worth.

Velo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Nov 25, 2020
Rats come out of the woodwork once they find out how much $$$ you make.

I actually have a goal of financing a small percentage (maybe like 20-25%) of some of my close friends to buy small businesses so they can have a small taste of "financial freedom." I don't have much interest in lending (or god forbid, some people will actually ask for a grant) to people in the future for one of their "next Uber/Lyft/Snapchat/etc." ideas that they were suddenly inspired to do once they discover I have the means to finance.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
A guy I know prefers to fly his jet anywhere in the US to rolling around in any Ferrari or Lambo as the one is more boring.
Fun aside. If you arent a narcissist, seting himself in any focus makes no sence.

Two Dog

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
142%
Feb 15, 2022
闷声发大财,means getting rich quietly
Really curious about this expression. What's the cultural thinking behind it?

US version is "stealth wealth" or "The Millionaire Next Door" from the book.

MJ comes down a bit harshly on people who become wealthy by owning a small business and living within their means for a couple of decades, but that's the overwhelming majority of millionaires. For every YouTube star, there's a hundred thousand middle aged couples who are perfectly content to just live and work in their communities while enjoying their lives. Becoming wealthy was a side effect, not a goal. That's why it's rarely a flashy bling lifestyle with a compulsion to share their lives with strangers.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.