• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

O/T: Health Why do people assume it takes long to build a decent body?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GainsGainsGains, Jul 14, 2018.

1. GainsGainsGains

GainsGainsGains Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $176
    Whenever I get on Facebook (which is rarely), I see posts by random gym motivation pages I subscribed to years ago.

And in the comments, I always read some discussion which results in the same nonsense:

"I have a job and 2 kids, I don't have time to live in the gym"
    "I'm busy moving"
    "I'm studying for my finals"

What these people really are wishing for: For the work to do itself. This is why fat-losing and muscle-gaining secrets discovered by local single moms that shock doctors are so successful. If those same people spent 5 minutes researching what it takes to lose fat and/or gain muscle, they would realize how ridiculous these excuses sound.

I'll keep it short:

If you are skinny and trying to gain muscle, you are looking at around 3-4 hours in the gym a week. That's right, 3 hours a week. On three seperate days. Add to that maybe 2 hours a week for eating more food.

If you are overweight, you pretty much have to permanently change your diet. Most people grossly overestimate how many calories you actually burn doing sports - eating a lot and trying to lose weight by somehow burning more calories than you consume doing sports is just not realistic.

In either case, diet is the primary factor for making the change you want. And you are already eating food, so you might aswell adjust your diet and spend a few hours a week to make a meaningful change.

And please, if you ever are going to make excuses why you are not going to the gym, do not say "I don't have time". To anyone who knows anything about working out, you will look ridiculous.

2. Everyman

Everyman Get To The Choppa! Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $549
    You are right. It takes 3 times a week for an hour or so plus diet. Diet is, and I quote, 70%.

From my experience it takes at least 3 months to see noticeable differences and 3-12 months to keep it going into perpetuity (so you will do it 'forever').

I know a person that has lost (and maintained it ever since) lots of unnecessary fat but it took min. 3 months.

GainsGainsGains likes this.
  3. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,396
    hm, just had a couple bags of chips and a lovely chocolate cookie.

theag and jasoncuellar123 like this.
  4. GainsGainsGains

Rep Bank:
    $176
    I'm more of a hardgainer myself, but the 70% diet part is pretty much correct from personal experience.

When people tell me they don't have time for getting in shape all I really hear is "I've never even done the most basic research how to do it", and that speaks volumes about their motivation

Everyman likes this.
  5. Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,093
    Whenever i talk to people about health and fitness related topics, a feeling creeps up telling me "Look, they want change, but they don't want to change."

They're basically the dog that lies on the nail, howling every now and then. It just doens't hurt enough to move.

I know a family, let's call them John and Mary - John is already obese and close to diabetes and Mary is close to beeing obese. They got a son - Sam - that's pro-actively training and providing information to them to conquer their situation. They also got around 5.000$ worth of training equipment right at their house, ready for action whenever they are. Years go by, information is spread, Sam trains and trains to be a good role model for them - nothing really happens.
    John and Mary changed eating habits from unhealthy foods to other unhealthy foods that said "Fit & Healthy" on the packaging. They started doing some training like around 10-15 times a year and as soon as they start sweating, they stop training - they feel hopeless about it: "Nothing is changing." Meanwhile the family rushed to the hospital several times because John had severe heart rhythm disturbances.

What they really want the short-cut. Eat what they like + a leaf of salad and 10min slowly walking on the treadmill twice a year should do the trick. This is also very disappointing to Sam who did all the research, provided all the information and tried to constantly be a good role-model for them.

The nail just doesn't hurt enough yet.

Everyman, Kak, Huracan and 3 others like this.
  6. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $520
    Actually there was recent resarch that shows there is a genetic component to how good at exercise you are (some are super exercisers and get more for the same effort, some get less and some even respond negatively to standard exercises) you might as well tell them to change their skin colour, you can't beat physical facts by shouting.

I will try to see if I can find the paper online.

Looking at how advanced genetics is now (ancestry dna) it does open up the possibility of geneticlly-tailored apps or possibly using AR(since motivation is lost more for those who take longer to respond physically, but gained for those who respond quicker physically.) Turn health into a visual.
    I understand unilver is using the work to try and create a sort of metabolic adjusting pill that will allow people in that situation to gain the same results as most regular excersiers.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Everyman likes this.
  7. LittleWolfie

LittleWolfie Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $520
    This is why home exercise equipment exists, travel time would have taken up too much time, so I lost weight via diet and exercise. The major issue, I found with it was motivation was less on my own(fitness DVDs don't quite do it, but they try to solve the issue) I was lucky in my friend was available and in a similar situation so we could work out in the shed together. I can think of a couple of ways you could use software to improve on the current equipment to address this problem.

Everyman and GainsGainsGains like this.
  8. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $27,157
    The majority of people feel working out would take too much time away from entertainment and emotional eating. Just my observations most of my life.

jon2089, Everyman, ShadyDave and 4 others like this.
  9. Digamma

Digamma Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,248
    About people complaining about not having time for the gym:

About OP's simple formula for fitness:

Simple is not a synonym of easy.

The difficulty of health is not in complexity, it's in the fact that it's hard to do.

StayHeady, Invictus and Dramolion like this.
  10. GainsGainsGains

Rep Bank:
    $176
    I didn't say it was easy, all I said was "not having enough time" is not a valid excuse

11. Limitless4Life

Limitless4Life Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $988
    Naval: "The oldest problems have the oldest answers"

Lose weight: Caloric deficit
    Gain weight: Caloric surplus
    Both: train your body and eat whole foods
    Both: create systems that create habits to do those things w/out the reliance on willpower.

There it is - 95% of it..and that will be $97 please

12. Fightrepreneur

Fightrepreneur Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $241
    My father in law has this attitude.

Dude is almost 60, really solid dad to my wife. He's had diabetes in the past and was like 390 lbs at 5'10" ish. Had lap band surgery and lost a good deal of weight. Now he's retired, smokes weed all day, and eats like sh*t. He hovers around what I'd guess is 220 lbs.

My wife and I spent a week with him and tried to get him interested in exercise. He says sh*t like "eh my whole family died from diabetes I can't live forever anyways, might as well not ruin my enjoyment by trying to exercise."

I'm not sure how being stoned watching reality TV all day classifies as enjoyment, but you can't change people who won't change themselves.

Everyman, sparechange and msufan like this.
  13. Ayanle Farah

Ayanle Farah Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,186
    It's not that I don't have time, it takes focus away from other things I could be doing and it feels damn near impossible to change my diet, I've been trying for almost two years.

14. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $352,842
    Admin Post
    Not to be a stickler, but I'd say it's more than that, like 75 to 80%.

Going to the gym for 1 hour is the event...
    What you stuff into your face for 30 days is the process...

And therein lies the simplistic answer why people are morbidly obese and will never do a damn thing about it.

15. msufan

msufan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,255
    Dead serious here: if you ever wanted to write another book, it could be a deeper dive into how the Unscripted mindset works in areas like health/fitness. It's the same exact mindset shift of not just following the masses and the latest craze. Not trying to make you into the next Tim Ferriss (who obviously pivoted from 4HWW to 4 Hour Body and 4 Hour Diet as well).

Or even just a flat out mindset book. Because it all comes down to that.

Everyman and MJ DeMarco like this.
  16. masterneme

masterneme Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,942
    I do push-ups everyday and last week I hurt my left wrist, did that stop me?

NO, I started doing knuckle push-ups.

Losers only make excuses.

17. GainsGainsGains

Rep Bank:
    $176
    To even get to the point of knowing about these percentages they would need to put in basic research, which apparently still is too much for some. It seems most have a vague idea on how to do it from hearsay, i.e. "do sports and eat right" and both sound like too much work so they instantly shun the mere idea and come up with any excuse they can find.

The result: Health problems (and optionally, hundreds spend on housewife secrets and nonsense like carb blockers)

18. masterneme

masterneme Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,942
    yodasays.jpg

Real Deal Denver, ZCP and msufan like this.
  19. Ayanle Farah

Ayanle Farah Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,186
    Well I want to do it but at the same time I don't want to abandon the foods I currently eat.

I guess the end result(good looks) isn't worth the effort required, aslong as I'm healthy, don't think I'll be able to stop since looks isn't very important to me.

LittleWolfie and sparechange like this.
  20. ygtrhos

ygtrhos Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $366
    The main problem of most people about doing anything is to "get uncomfortable". May it be about earning money, losing weight and getting in shape or anything at all. Nobody wants to move their a$$ for something and most people are motivated by instant gratification.

Everyman likes this.
  21. Jason "GrandK"

Jason "GrandK" Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $250
    If you don't have time to workout now you will end up paying for it with time in the future. In other words, working out today will add valuable time to your life. Time that won't be spent in a broken, dilapidated body later on due to your preventative upkeep today.

I find that how you eat and what you eat are the two most important factors to achieving results in the gym that last. For me, intermittent fasting with balanced fat/protein food sources, limiting carbs, sugars and hydrogenated oils, tends to produce the longest lasting gains.

I also encourage people to incorporate stretching into their routine. Even 15 minutes of stretching a day, with a focus on the calves and hamstrings, is a great way to avoid/prevent injury.

And doing high intensity interval training can also help save time. There is also body weight exercises you can do on the fly, without the time commitment of going to the gym. Even walking around your office building during breaks can do wonders.

StayHeady and msufan like this.
  22. msufan

msufan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,255
    Funny you should mention calves and hamstrings. I've gotten into running, and those are precisely my trouble spots. Any favorite, highly-effective stretches you would recommend for those two areas?

23. Jason "GrandK"

Jason "GrandK" Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $250
    Straight leg calf stretch against a wall is great for the calves.

For the hamstrings, I tend to mix it up. I like sitting down in the split position and reaching for my toes with the opposite hand. Then once warmed up, i use gravity and do the same stretch but standing up. Over time, the increased flexibility helps release your calves as well as you can go deeper into hamstrings stretches.

The benefits from stretching these two areas are huge, as they affect your entire body. I had chronic shoulder pain for years and it went away once I began stretching my calves and hams. It also helps with lower back pain, hips, etc.

Real Deal Denver, lowtek and msufan like this.
  24. unaided

unaided Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $588
  25. unaided

unaided Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $588