The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do people act like the goal isn't to make money?

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
Lets cut the bullshit business is about money, the goal at the end of the day is to make money. Why do people say if your only goal is to make money you will fail?

What if I have a quality product and my only goal is to make money, will I fail? I don't think so.

what do you think about this?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
Who's said it's not about the money?

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I'm sure you've seen some of the advice on other forums etc. I've been told often if my goal is to make money I will fail
To me, it's all about providing value and getting money in exchange for the value I bring. So, for me, it is all about the money. Those that say life is not about money, I'm happy making 40k a year, I rather have friends than money, etc. are usually the ones with little money.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
True I think you should combine those two having a big love for money and on the other side having a big love for providing value through a bproduct or servic

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I think it's a matter of focus, if your focus is to make money which is short for getting rewarded for bringing value then you will miss the definition and not shoot accurately. In business, this would mean your decisions will be based around making money and not seeing opportunities that would actually make you money meaning opportunities to bring value to the marketplace.

• Banned

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
I think it's a matter of focus, if your focus is to make money which is a word for getting rewarded for bringing value then you will miss the definition and not shoot accurately. In business, this would mean your decisions will be based around making money and not seeing opportunities that would actually make you money meaning opportunities to bring value to the marketplace.

That is true, the way I see it is more value = more money. So even though I'm aiming to provide value, my goal is to make money.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
That is true, the way I see it is more value = more money. So even though I'm aiming to provide value, my goal is to make money.
Your goal is to create or bring value because that's the only way you can make money unless you want to rob a bank.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Yeah my goal is to make a lot of money because I want a lot of things it can buy. Even if your highest priorities are relationships and health, money is very helpful for good health and good relationships. My other motivations are that (1) I want to prove that I can do it and (2) it's a big & interesting challenge.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
Yeah my goal is to make a lot of money because I want a lot of things it can buy. Even if your highest priorities are relationships and health, money is very helpful for good health and good relationships. My other motivations are that (1) I want to prove that I can do it and (2) it's a big & interesting challenge.
They're not strong enough reasons imo.

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
Your goal is to create or bring value because that's the only way you can make money unless you want to rob a bank.
I understand that, but what im saying is lets not act like providing value is the primary goal. the primary goal is to make money, the way you do it is by providing value.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
I've been told often if my goal is to make money I will fail

MJ justifies this pretty deftly in TMF . Go back and re-read, this is 101-level fastlane stuff.

Basically, what MJ says is that chasing money is like chasing a cat. You want the cat, obviously, but it will jump away from you if you lunge at it. People can smell selfish greed, and don't give a rats a$$ what you want (money), they only care what they want, because they are selfish and greedy, they just don't like to admit it.

Instead, you need tuna. The cat doesn't want you personally, but it wants tuna, so it will come to you, and you will both get what you want without a struggle if you have the can of fish. By focusing on what the CAT wants, you get what you want (the cat). Money is the same way. You come to me and say, "I want a million dollars!" I say, "I don't care."

You come to me and say, "here's a battery for your moto-X that will last two weeks of regular use between charges. It's $150."

I will happily give you $150, and so will 6700 other people, and you'll be a millionaire.

Last edited:

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
What determines strong or not? As long as he is motivated and it causes him to act then why would he fail?
I'm not saying it's bad but those reasons are fleeting and will fade away before you know it.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
I understand that, but what im saying is lets not act like providing value is the primary goal. the primary goal is to make money, the way you do it is by providing value.
Have the goal but don't take focus off the road, be careful of looking up too much and not minding where you're walking, you might trip.

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
MJ justifies this pretty deftly in TMF . Go back and re-read, this is 101-level fastlane stuff.

Basically chasing money is like chasing a cat. You want the cat, obviously, but it will jump away from you if you lunge at it. People can smell selfish greed, and don't give a rats a$$ what you want (money), they only care what they want, because they are selfish and greedy, they just don't like to admit it.

Instead, you need tuna. The cat doesn't want you personally, but it wants tuna, so it will come to you, and you will both get what you want without a struggle if you have the can of fish. By focusing on what the CAT wants, you get what you want (the cat). Money is the same way. You come to me and say, "I want a million dollars!" I say, "I don't care."

You come to me and say, "here's a battery for your moto-X that will last two weeks of regular use between charges. It's $150."

I will happily give you $150, and so will 6700 other people, and you'll be a millionaire.

Let me challenge you with this and say was the goal not to get the cat(money) from the get go, you just developed a strategic way to get it?

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Money is a tool, not a goal.

We say, "I want to have money so I can _______" fill in whatever you want.

The part you fill in is your goal. Money is a tool.

If your goal is money, then start printing bills like other counterfeiters.

Real or fake, it's just paper without understanding your real goals.

Luffy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Dec 20, 2014
How would you know? You haven't done anything yet. I've been working hard on my business.
Saying you want to prove to yourself gives you the excuse to back away at any point saying you can't do it, a false cushion if you will to get through the tough times when things are going downhill. Saying it's a big and interesting challenge is great but it depends on how serious you are about making it happen. Superficial motivations aren't long lasting, not saying you're not working hard if you are but I question your motives.

borntodominate

Bronze Contributor
Aug 31, 2014
Money is a tool, not a goal.

We say, "I want to have money so I can _______" fill in whatever you want.

The part you fill in is your goal. Money is a tool.

If your goal is money, then start printing bills like other counterfeiters.

Real or fake, it's just paper without understanding your real goals.
This is true.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
It's just a mindset shift for people who don't understand the importance of creating a valuable product/service & delivery method.

If you already understand that value = money, then you're welcome to word things however you like.

A potatoe and a potato are both:

Russet_Potato.jpg

The Grind

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Oct 17, 2014
Hah, this thought has popped in my head many times and have thought about making this thread as well.

To make REAL money, you have to provide value, if you do not provide value, you will never make any money.

So constantly thinking about how to make money, you won't, because you will be thinking about the money and not whats BEST for your customers.

Sam Walton said, "any time I'm spending not making the lives of my customers better, is a waste of time". Or some variation of that.

And he built one of the the most successful company's in history, it's no coincidence.

Moreover, someone who isn't making real money in business wouldn't understand this, I don't fully understand it because I'm still thinking about the money, which is why I don't have any.

MJ doesn't say this stuff because it's a bunch of crap. The cat analogy explains it perfectly.

DayIFly

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jul 16, 2012
Value is subjective and there are different types of value. E.g., entertainment value, educational value, etc.
  • A really bad horror movie can make hundreds of millions of dollars. You´ll forget it after 3 days.
  • A life-changing book makes maybe several million dollars. You´ll benefit a life-time from it.
So look at value as "the money people are willing to pay for your product/service".

I don´t know, but I can´t really seperate money and value because money measures the subjective value people see in the product/service. But maybe it´s just me^^

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
If making money is the primary goal you'll do anything to get it no matter how short lived it will be. Lie, steal, cheat, it's all good because my primary goal is to make that money!

P3HSB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Sep 27, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
True I think you should combine those two having a big love for money and on the other side having a big love for providing value through a bproduct or servic

Agree with this..

I think if you focus too much on the money, you lose focus on genuinely trying to help other people which is what business is all about. With the lost of focus on value creation for your own selfish gains, people will smell this and your business will slowly crumble.

For example, take a look at people who join MLM (Multi-Level Marketing). These people are usually money chasers who add zero value to the market. They think that if they just join the MLM company and start making money, then everything will be all good. But the truth is, this "magic pill" solution of making money will soon be exposed and their business will soon crumble if they can't add any value to it.

In the mainstream,there is not a lot of space for a nuances point. If there is more than one thought in it, you can't say it. More than one thought means people become angry. If I said health, wealth, love, happiness, and higher purpose was the end goal, people will be confused because there are too many thoughts. There is probably a women walking down the street right now thinking love is the end goal. There is probably a man driving to work right now thinking money is the end goal. Because it is easier to have one thought than multiple thoughts, the mainstream will dumb it down to one simple truths. In reality, this type of thinking is black and white. Balance in life is the key, as Aristotle taught us. So combined both love for money and value and you have the real answer in my opinion.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.