The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Why do people act like the goal isn't to make money?

G

GuestUser113

My primary goal is money.
:greedy:

Dagobert-Duck-springt-ins-Geld.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
Don't get me wrong though, my business involves creating art, and that makes it more interesting and agreeable. I get to take my artistic skills to a much higher level, so I will accomplish 2 great things at the same time: becoming a much better artist and making a lot more money. I just finished creating an excellent new t-shirt design where I had to push my skills higher to create a more advanced & challenging design than I usually make. From now on I'm not going to hold anything back. I'm going to give the customers the very best designs I can make. I'm going all out. I just had an epiphany today that the really successful people are generally the ones who push themselves and their companies to the utmost to give the customer a really outstanding product or experience. People don't want a mediocre experience. They want something wonderful and amazing.

I've been reading a little about people here selling on Ebay. It sounds very good but I'm going to stick with my existing business and see how far I can take it, because I have no interest in selling on Ebay other than the money. I don't feel like starting all over again as a total noob in a totally different business. The most successful t-shirt entrepreneur I know of is Claude Audigier, the guy who created the Ed Hardy brand. A web page says his net worth is $250 million and he does have a Lamborghini. I also know of some other multi-millionaire t-shirt entrepreneurs.

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
You ever designed a product before?

Building a product while focused on money is completely different than focusing on building for value.

Money is my personal need - not my customers. (at least when using my product)

I have to solve their problem, not mine. The better I can do that then money will come.

Take for example Viddy who was focused only on growth aka money without providing any value:
viddy-complex.png

Took advantage of their customers by using cheap/shady growth hacks and paid the ultimate price.

Focus on making crack for your users then money will come. Not the opposite way.

Last edited:

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
From my perspective: People focus to much on money. Money becomes dollar signs in their eyes. Money distracts them from taking appropriate action and learn what they need too. The focus on the lack of money, so they focus on money. People want money so bad they'll steal, cheat, beat up, kill, and abuse for money. So, this is just my hypothesis, but if you're focused on just money itself, you can have the wrong motivations and intentions in how to get money.

What would you do to get a million dollars? What actions would you take?

Focusing on the money prevents you from making money. If you're staring at nice houses, sports cars, fashion statements, gadgets, etc. You're wasting time doing nothing. Not taking action to produce any results. Exactly why, I don't go shopping, and not staring at things. If I had, I'd be day dreaming, and not doing anything.

Focusing on money, isn't going to magically make it appear. As if I can imagine a tree with million dollar bills floating around in the sky, but if I don't take action that's my imagination, not taking action.

Talking about money, you can talk about it all day. It's still not taking action.

You can listen and read about money, it's still not taking action.

You can carry a 100 dollar bill around in your pocket and it still isn't going to turn into a million dollars without taking action.

I've even seen drug dealers on face book from the hood with wads of money in their hand taking a Selfie. "I'm rich". Wrong Action! And no you're not rich because you're a thug! lol

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
There are a lot of variables and in betweens from creating value to just being greedy and selfish.

I remember reading about two billionaire friends a couple years ago. When they were in college they made a packt to become billionaires. And both of them did. I think they were from Ukraine or some eastern European country.

Just because your goal is to make money doesn't mean that you are automatically not able to create value. But I do believe most people who are young. Still haven't grown out of that bubble. Especially if they haven't read the Millionaire Fastlane .

When they think of money. They think of cars, and luxury vacations and all about them self and their own needs.

But any how. Just because you want the money doesn't mean that you can't be successful without being some greedy, selfish person.

If you look at Theo Paphitis on Wikipedia, you can find this quote from him: "There are three reasons to be in business. To make money, to have fun – and to make money."

The guy is supposedly worth £210 million.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I know many of you use social media.

Would you have used facebook if you initially had to pay to use it?

Would you use Twitter if you initially had to pay for it?

Instagram?

Youtube?

Do you think others would?

These are billion-dollar companies now.

They could have gone for the quick money, but instead the founders created something valuable, and got the attention of millions before they asked anyone to fork out dollars; which in their case was other billion-dollar companies.

This is what it means to focus on creating value, rather than focusing only on earning money.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
@Ninjakid Google is a great example of that too. They were running for a few years before they had a business model (way to make money) if I remember correctly.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
@Ninjakid Google is a great example of that too. They were running for a few years before they had a business model (way to make money) if I remember correctly.
You're totally right. Google's one of the best examples. They start as a search engine, and now they're making self-driving cars!! I predict Google will one day be the first corporation to be a world super-power

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
MJ justifies this pretty deftly in TMF . Go back and re-read, this is 101-level fastlane stuff.

Basically chasing money is like chasing a cat. You want the cat, obviously, but it will jump away from you if you lunge at it. People can smell selfish greed, and don't give a rats a$$ what you want (money), they only care what they want, because they are selfish and greedy, they just don't like to admit it.

Instead, you need tuna. The cat doesn't want you personally, but it wants tuna, so it will come to you, and you will both get what you want without a struggle if you have the can of fish. By focusing on what the CAT wants, you get what you want (the cat). Money is the same way. You come to me and say, "I want a million dollars!" I say, "I don't care."

You come to me and say, "here's a battery for your moto-X that will last two weeks of regular use between charges. It's $150."

I will happily give you $150, and so will 6700 other people, and you'll be a millionaire.
Rocking a moto x ha? Pretty awesome phone!

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I know many of you use social media.

Would you have used facebook if you initially had to pay to use it?

Would you use Twitter if you initially had to pay for it?

Instagram?

Youtube?

Do you think others would?

These are billion-dollar companies now.

They could have gone for the quick money, but instead the founders created something valuable, and got the attention of millions before they asked anyone to fork out dollars; which in their case was other billion-dollar companies.

This is what it means to focus on creating value, rather than focusing only on earning money.
All of them probably took a couple million dollars in venture capital. So they could focus on growth. Instead of making a profit or a sale. But just remember. There are probably a couple hundred companies that has failed instead of making it big like these companies you mentioned. Free or not.

On top of that. The secret is not that they were free from the start. They would had made billions if they were paid too. The secret is that they used marketing to get their companies in the spotlight. At least that's how I see it.

Last edited:

mosdef

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Apr 1, 2014
All of them probably took a couple million dollars in venture capital. So they could focus on growth. Instead of making a profit or a sale. But just remember. There are probably a couple hundred companies that has failed instead of making it big like these companies you mentioned. Free or not.
Did they add any value?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If I recall correctly, facebook actually took $500K of venture capital before it went public.

But that's not the same thing. That's investment needed to further a business. I think most people on this thread are talking about net-profit

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
Did they add any value?
Just updated my post. Sorry. I don't know if they did. Try starting a new search engine to compete with Google. It's not only about being better. It's about being in the news. And hyping it up to the moon too. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
You're totally right. Google's one of the best examples. They start as a search engine, and now they're making self-driving cars!! I predict Google will one day be the first corporation to be a world super-power

I <3 Google. Haha. Seriously, they're just winning and winning. I use Android and choose Google's apps over others that are similar most of the time. Or I use them along with other similar ones. I was even considering getting a Chromebook, but I'll wait on that.

Haha, Google has major power. [HASHTAG]#thatPOWER[/HASHTAG]

The higher ups of the company probably discuss things with the C ... 1 ... A and governments around the world. They know so much about billions of people...

I'm going to read a book called Dataclysm soon. It was written by the cofounder of OkCupid (might be another example of value before money) and it's about what they have found about humans using their data mining. Their information definitely pales in comparison to Google's.

Rocking a moto x ha? Pretty awesome phone!

I <3 my Moto X. The battery and the camera are its faults. Still a great device though.

Dinho7

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Apr 7, 2014
South Florida
Like people have mentioned before me, money is a goal, but not the end goal. Having tons of money does not interest me. Having enough to live a comfortable life where I have a lot of time to spend with my family, on hobbies, traveling etc is my REAL GOAL, and money buys all that. I believe most of us would rather have $5k semi-passive income per month and 10 hour work weeks, than 10x that working 14 hours a day when you are too tired and exhausted to enjoy your money.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
It's about where your focus is. The money is the end result, but focusing on that takes your mind off the process, which is providing value/solving a problem for people. Money is not action. Money is a thing. When you focus on money, you're not focusing on the process. And it's all about the process.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
It is about the money. Making money is exactly my intention. Making money is what I enjoy.

Creating value is just the vehicle I chose to get me there. Why? Because it works better than money chasing dumb shit vehicles.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I updated my post. Sorry. I don't know if they did. Try starting a new Google. It's not only about being better. It's about being in the news. And hyping it up to the moon. Just my opinion.
I wouldn't try to start a new Google, I would start my own
I <3 Google. Haha. Seriously, they're just winning and winning. I use Android and choose Google's apps over others that are similar most of the time. Or I use them along with other similar ones. I was even considering getting a Chromebook, but I'll wait on that.

Haha, Google has major power. [HASHTAG]#thatPOWER[/HASHTAG]

The higher ups of the company probably discuss things with the C ... 1 ... A and governments around the world. They know so much about billions of people...

I'm going to read a book called Dataclysm soon. It was written by the cofounder of OkCupid (might be another example of value before money) and it's about what they have found about humans using their data mining. Their information definitely pales in comparison to Google's.

I <3 my Moto X. The battery and the camera are its faults. Still a great device though.

They're they're definitely one of my favourite companies too. I think they know so much about people because they see what everyone searches.
Umm, yeah sure, Facebook only took 500k in venture capital...... LOL

http://fortune.com/2011/01/11/timeline-where-facebook-got-its-funding/

Thats 1.3billion in january 2011, more than 1 year before the ipo. Dont know if they raised another round in between.

500k was the initial investment of peter thiel.
Yeah I meant $500K was the initial investment. Then they went public, and have millions and millions of investments.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Then they went public, and have millions and millions of investments.
No they had $1.3 billion investments BEFORE they went public. In the IPO they raised another $16 billion.

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
No they had $1.3 billion investments BEFORE they went public. In the IPO they raised another $16 billion.
Holy shit, $16 billion. I concure, I early know very little of facebook's founding history. I fly away now.

*Ninjakid flies away from Putin's palace

Mamadoo

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Nov 12, 2014
Toronto
Your customers want value, you want money. To get the money you need to provide value. But I think what youre saying is that money is your motivator, which I dont really see a problem with.. It really depends on the kind of person you are.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Well,

When it is hypocritical (when it is, and that is not always) it MAY be out of fear, out of an idea of non-disruption, of quiet change.
I have found that such attempts at quiet change are as fruitless as the loudest cries for personal wealth.

Hypocrasy comes in both forms, obedience and outrage.

WHEN it is told out of wisdom, knowledge and strength of character, it MAY be out of wishing to trancend the very arguments that proliferate our mindsets of poverty.
For example, I know first hand the power, of putting money aside as considering the welfare of others as a priority beyond wealth. It is by doing so I achieve the very thing that money is supposedly for.

Sometimes our quests lead us astray from the very goals we seek.
The very best advice regarding money as not the goal seeks to remind us, that power exists not in what we accomplish, but in WHAT WE DO WITH THESE VICTORIES.

If you will not take the opporunity to fulfill the truer and selfless goal of wealth in the end. Money becomes as paper thin as the character whom abandoned the purpose of its pursuit.

NEVER FORGET WHAT YOU STAND FOR
Never trade off you livelihood for a facade

Do not TOUT money as your cure if you are already willing to give up on what you believe it can stand for
Do not be paper thin in your integrity

The question is
Are you outraged because you STAND for true wealth
Or are you made EAGER to cast it aside because you believe this road can be made easy

DO NOT MAKE THOSE CHOICES LIGHTLY
They make both men
And cowards

Decide what you will stand for, and find the strength to endure

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
I wouldn't try to start a new Google, I would start my own
I changed that to new search engine. Because that's what I really meant I think. I don't know why it take some time to get new changes updated when you quote somebody.

I've done it myself before. And while the post says one thing. The quote you make of someone can say another thing. I hope it's possible to fix that. Or maybe it's like that for a reason I can't figure out?

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I changed that to new search engine. Because that's what I really meant I think. I don't know why it take some time to get new changes updated when you quote somebody.

I've done it myself before. And while the post says one thing. The quote you make of someone can say another thing. I hope it's possible to fix that. Or maybe it's like that for a reason I can't figure out?
To be honest, I actually don't remember quoting you in this.. I must be going insane. Ignore the existence of this s'il vous plait

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.