The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Who Keeps a Daily Journal?

Anything related to matters of the mind

SemiSentient

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Mar 12, 2014
Indiana
I started keeping a journal a few months ago to document my ups, downs, and lessons learned during daily life. I started it about the same time I started my fastlane project thinking I could look back in the future and recall some of the things I learned. Now the more I think about it, I doubt in a few years time I will dust off hundreds of old diary entries to find a few good tidbits.

Other than enjoying leisurely writing, I do like a few other things about maintaining a journal. Writing down my activities gives me a sense of closure at days end and sometimes a feeling of accomplishment.

I am curious if anyone has found keeping a journal useful (for fastlane or personal life) and if so, why?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

S. Brown

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Mar 23, 2014
Tampa Bay, Fl
I started keeping a journal a few months ago to document my ups, downs, and lessons learned during daily life. I started it about the same time I started my fastlane project thinking I could look back in the future and recall some of the things I learned. Now the more I think about it, I doubt in a few years time I will dust off hundreds of old diary entries to find a few good tidbits.

Other than enjoying leisurely writing, I do like a few other things about maintaining a journal. Writing down my activities gives me a sense of closure at days end and sometimes a feeling of accomplishment.

I am curious if anyone has found keeping a journal useful (for fastlane or personal life) and if so, why?

Thanks

I'm new to the fastlane and in the process of having a complete fastlane lifestyle. I just recently started writing down my ideas and thoughts a few months ago but writing/planning anything is a good start for anything as long there's a need (purpose) for it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I don't do it daily but I do track every step I take in a journal for one of my ventures. I also jot good ideas constantly, not just business ideas, little strategies I think up, I have a book of shit I can refer to lol.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
I have a daily journal, but I don't use it daily because I've found that it loses its impact for me over time if I use it too much. Sorta like how if you live next to the beach, it loses that wow factor after a while.

I only use it when I take new steps with my business or have something different occur with my relationships. It's nice to be able to look back and pinpoint an exact date for when something big happened in my life...the very first sale, the first girlfriend, the last breakup, the spontaneous vacation, it's great!

Sometimes I look back at my journal entries from years ago and think holy shnykies WTF was I thinking hahah. I'll probably do the same thing about what I've done this year.

nausbot

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Jul 7, 2013
London, Canada
Writing down everything keeps it from cluttering up your mind.

I keep track of goals, workouts, starting to track progress for business, new ideas...

"Even the weakest ink is stronger than the strongest mind"

Xanothraxos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Dec 3, 2013
North Carolina
Great men throughout history have kept journals. It allows you to free your mind and work through some of your thoughts that you otherwise would keep trapped in your head.

this morning, for example, I was writing about a dream I had. I initially started writing the entry because I was married to my high school sweetheart in the dream (reality didn't see this happen, as you may have gathered) and we were going to a concert.

At first I thought about writing on my feelings for her, if I still have them, how she makes me feel, is it fair to my wife, etc etc.

But as I began detailing the dream, I started seeing patterns that I otherwise wouldn't have seen.

The whole dream was about being trapped on a path that you don't want to be on because of your own limiting beliefs - or at least, that's what I pulled from it. If you're interested, I'll transcribe the entry here for you to see how I thought it through.

But the point is, I arrived at a mind-blowing conclusion that I otherwise wouldn't have found simply because I was journaling.

Journals aren't always so you can mark milestones or write for an audience. Journals are simply a secret, intimate place for you to share yourself and your deepest thoughts and feelings with precisely no one.

As I stated before: Some of history's greatest men have kept journals. While we might not know exactly why, it doesn't always matter. Success is
gained in part by emulating successful people.

SemiSentient

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
270%
Mar 12, 2014
Indiana
Great men throughout history have kept journals. It allows you to free your mind and work through some of your thoughts that you otherwise would keep trapped in your head.

this morning, for example, I was writing about a dream I had. I initially started writing the entry because I was married to my high school sweetheart in the dream (reality didn't see this happen, as you may have gathered) and we were going to a concert.

At first I thought about writing on my feelings for her, if I still have them, how she makes me feel, is it fair to my wife, etc etc.

But as I began detailing the dream, I started seeing patterns that I otherwise wouldn't have seen.

The whole dream was about being trapped on a path that you don't want to be on because of your own limiting beliefs - or at least, that's what I pulled from it. If you're interested, I'll transcribe the entry here for you to see how I thought it through.

But the point is, I arrived at a mind-blowing conclusion that I otherwise wouldn't have found simply because I was journaling.

Journals aren't always so you can mark milestones or write for an audience. Journals are simply a secret, intimate place for you to share yourself and your deepest thoughts and feelings with precisely no one.

As I stated before: Some of history's greatest men have kept journals. While we might not know exactly why, it doesn't always matter. Success is
gained in part by emulating successful people.

Thanks for posting this X. It sounds like you started writing about your dream with certain expectations and an epiphany occurred that otherwise might not have. I had not considered this aspect of a journal. By putting it in text, it might evoke different emotions or thoughts that I would have ignored by not putting pencil to paper. I would love to hear the rest of your entry if its not too much trouble. PM it to me if you don't want it out in public.

As many others have suggested, I think I will try to focus on writing entries when it will be useful to ME(for whatever reason) instead of diligently writing filler everyday.

Thanks to all for the replies.

BlokeInProgress

Business Building Warrior
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 6, 2014
Australia
I do have a journal and tried documenting everyday but noticed that I couldn't do it and carry it everyday and all the time. So, every now and then when I get the chance and in the mood I do write. :)

For me its still writing things down that I prefer instead of typing them.

raynoldcj

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 13, 2013
North Borneo
I started writing in a journal after watching a Jim Rohn video. He's one of the most influential business leaders in the world, and I think he really meant it regarding the importance of keeping a journal.

I don't really write every day, just when I come across something valuable to put in it.

Typing seems a great idea, and a lot more easier if you have an iPad or tablet. But I prefer keeping my ideas in a note book/journal.

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
I keep a journal, not daily but I try to write in it when I can. I'm trying to make it a habit to write in it daily. I use it not as a way to just document what happened during the day, though, I use it to try to learn more, analyze ideas,

I'm currently reading a book, "Where Good Ideas Come From" by Steven Johnson (fantastic book, by the way).

In it, he discusses Darwin and the process he took to create his famous theory.

I'd like to share a passage from the book:

"We can track the evolution of Darwin's ideas with such precision because he adhered to a rigorous practice of maintaining notebooks where he quoted other sources, improvised new ideas, interrogated and dismissed false leads, drew diagrams, and generally let his mind roam on the page. We can see Darwin's ideas evolve because on some basic level the notebook platform creates a cultivating space for his hunches; it is not that the notebook is a mere transcription of the ideas, which are happening offstage somewhere in Darwin's mind. Darwin was constantly rereading his notes, discovering new implications."

I liked this because it illustrated the process I go through when I write in my journal very well.

I try to style my journal more like a commonplace book, with quotes, interesting ideas, sketches, and references, as well as the general day to day stuff that I want to record.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Same pattern here. It's one of the best tools to stay focused and clear about where you're heading and what you've changed about your life, but it's not something that I do daily.

craig1928

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Jul 31, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
www.idonethis.com

they'll send you an e-mail every evening and you reply with with what you've done for the day, over time it'll tell you what you were doing this time 2 months ago, a year ago etc

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.