The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where's the Opportunity?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I decided to start a simulation on here, similar to things I've done in business classes at school. I ran the idea by MJ and he approved. This is how it will work:
  • I (or anyone else who wants to) will post a scenario with a given set of circumstances. These can include but are not limited to location, market conditions, current events, natural disasters, etc...
  • Anybody who would like to participate will come up with a plan of action that will include the startup of a business or a focus on particular investments. Please explain why you chose these and how it will work.
  • Others will discuss and critcize (constructively) any ideas they find interesting.
The purpose of this is to stimulate each person's creative genius. Everybody has a little entrepreneur in them; some just need work a little to unleash it. The idea of this is to encourage thinking out-of-the-box. Don't post ideas like selling flowers on a street corner - be creative!

Now, I have to get to my homework now (yes, I'm starting it at 12:30AM...what an idiot) so I will post the example I sent to MJ.

If you're making any assumptions on parts of the scenario you thought were unclear, please post them in your idea.

The scenario:

Key/random facts:
  • Real Estate market is down.
  • Population consists of a large majority of seniors.
  • Close proximity to the beach.
  • Upscale area.
  • Golfing is a popular hobby among residents.
*Disclaimer: some of the facts that I have included in these scenarios are not representative of the current conditions, but I've included them for a purpose. For example, I don't know about the current RE market conditions, but I included that the market there was in a downward trend because I'd like to see more entrepreneurial ideas for businesses rather than just investing in RE.

Hopefully somebody gets one of these moments...:idx:

I encourage you all to take part in this. Happy brainstorming...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Do you want scenarios posted here in this thread or seperate. Posted here it may get a little confusing which scenario is being addressed.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The scenario:

Key/random facts:
  • Upscale area.

I assume you are looking for a local opportunity relative to Palm Beach? Like a retail store? Franchise? A service to the region?

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Well, the fact that you stated the RE market is down is a key reason why that would be an opportunity. I know apartment buyers that have moved back to the Florida market to take advantage. There were a lot of people that overpaid for properties there and are in a bit of trouble with them.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I agree about the apartment market in parts of FLA..:banana: ... but to keep on topic a few ideas:

Home health agencies...I don't care how many are down there, it can always be done better. I'd focus on how the company keeps families updated in other states..with great frequency. How many people are 1000's of miles away from mom/dad and have to rely on in-home caregivers? I could go on for hours about how that could and should be done right.

Homes health/CNA training schools...provides two sevices..well trained caregivers to handle the growing senior population AND very often is the first step for many single moms/immigrants to enter a career that gets them off public assistance. Offer tuition reimbursement for exceptional students/workers to go on for nursing degrees. Keep your workers by having an agency too..train them, place them, cultivate them...they won't be able to send their friends to you fast enough.

I would think delivery type buinesses would thrive, home monitoring services, life-line services.

We don't treat our elderly very well in this country, services that helped and encouraged families to do so even from long distances I believe are gong to be needed and on the increase..people like myself who are in their late 30's, 40' and 50's who will be facing thse issues with elderly parents in a few years(if not now) and will I believe jump on those types of servces..we are more socially aware and engaged then previous generations in regards to our elderly. Add in we have a large immigrant population who come from cultures that revere the elderly and will be a good market to target with those services.

This opens the door to many online ventures with a national scope too.

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I would focus on the elderly community that is living in homes. Think they ever get tired of the food? I would think that the meals they get are the same....they might not get the same meal each week. (ex. fried fish w/ peas and apples). Here is what I would do...

Partner with local restaurants and get a discount since you would be buying in "bulk."
Have a schedule with the homes; you only come once a week on a certain day. The seniors will come to know and love this day!
My business would put in the order that morning with local restaurants and deliver the food to the seniors at the schedule retirement homes.
Basically rotate restaurants each week (seniors would have a schedule to know what is coming up for the next month) with each home.
I would focus on the experience the seniors got when purchasing food from us. Servers of the food would be extra friendly, give them a few minutes of time to talk if they wanted.

I know this post is not organized well but you get my drift on the concept.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Key/random facts:
  • Upscale area.

A mixed-use, rental apartment development community with "green" design that caters to seniors. It would provide on-site services such as yoga classes, personal therapy, random classes that seniors would like (estate planning, internet for seniors, etc) reduced price golf lessons and a free shuttle to and from the nearest golf course. And maybe set up some sort of deal with a local community college where residents could take classes for a reduced price.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Well, the fact that you stated the RE market is down is a key reason why that would be an opportunity. I know apartment buyers that have moved back to the Florida market to take advantage. There were a lot of people that overpaid for properties there and are in a bit of trouble with them.
Well if it's in a downward trend, most people would be hesitant to buy unless they are planning on holding for the very long term.

My point with that was to discourage conventional REI and to focus on a business selling either a product or service.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Do you want scenarios posted here in this thread or seperate. Posted here it may get a little confusing which scenario is being addressed.
Forget to mention this. Thanks for bringing this up. If anybody else has scenarios that they believe others would find interesting (real or fictional), I'd love to hear about them in another thread. It'd just get too hectic in this thread if there were multiple scenarios being discussed.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I assume you are looking for a local opportunity relative to Palm Beach? Like a retail store? Franchise? A service to the region?
Correct. For instance, one might suggest starting up a beach club intended on serving senior citizens with events catered toward that crowd.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
I agree about the apartment market in parts of FLA..:banana: ... but to keep on topic a few ideas:

Home health agencies...I don't care how many are down there, it can always be done better. I'd focus on how the company keeps families updated in other states..with great frequency. How many people are 1000's of miles away from mom/dad and have to rely on in-home caregivers? I could go on for hours about how that could and should be done right.

Homes health/CNA training schools...provides two sevices..well trained caregivers to handle the growing senior population AND very often is the first step for many single moms/immigrants to enter a career that gets them off public assistance. Offer tuition reimbursement for exceptional students/workers to go on for nursing degrees. Keep your workers by having an agency too..train them, place them, cultivate them...they won't be able to send their friends to you fast enough.

I would think delivery type buinesses would thrive, home monitoring services, life-line services.

We don't treat our elderly very well in this country, services that helped and encouraged families to do so even from long distances I believe are gong to be needed and on the increase..people like myself who are in their late 30's, 40' and 50's who will be facing thse issues with elderly parents in a few years(if not now) and will I believe jump on those types of servces..we are more socially aware and engaged then previous generations in regards to our elderly. Add in we have a large immigrant population who come from cultures that revere the elderly and will be a good market to target with those services.

This opens the door to many online ventures with a national scope too.
All are very solid ideas. You seem to love all of those nursing agencies; I should've known this was the perfect scenario for you. :)

I would focus on the elderly community that is living in homes. Think they ever get tired of the food? I would think that the meals they get are the same....they might not get the same meal each week. (ex. fried fish w/ peas and apples). Here is what I would do...

Partner with local restaurants and get a discount since you would be buying in "bulk."
Have a schedule with the homes; you only come once a week on a certain day. The seniors will come to know and love this day!
My business would put in the order that morning with local restaurants and deliver the food to the seniors at the schedule retirement homes.
Basically rotate restaurants each week (seniors would have a schedule to know what is coming up for the next month) with each home.
I would focus on the experience the seniors got when purchasing food from us. Servers of the food would be extra friendly, give them a few minutes of time to talk if they wanted.

I know this post is not organized well but you get my drift on the concept.
I like this idea a lot. If you could build up a good-sized portfolio of nursing homes or elderly communities, I could see this being very profitable.

You've addressed their needs as far as a food delivery service. Could you spin this idea in a way to include more services?

A mixed-use, rental apartment development community with "green" design that caters to seniors. It would provide on-site services such as yoga classes, personal therapy, random classes that seniors would like (estate planning, internet for seniors, etc) reduced price golf lessons and a free shuttle to and from the nearest golf course. And maybe set up some sort of deal with a local community college where residents could take classes for a reduced price.
Another good idea. How else would you differentiate your community from other adult housing communities? The bottom line is that the residents want to be happy. Anything reasonable that you could do to accomplish this would benefit the residents, and ultimately, your bottom line.

Keep the ideas coming!

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
How much start up capital do we have to work with?

How much income should this business earn?

How long time do we have to reach that income?
You have a reasonable amount of startup capital...around $10,000.

The business will be your main source of income. While you're in startup mode, you'll be pinching pennies to get by. The sooner you reach a comfortable level of income to live off of, the better. Therefore, you determine how long it will take. Can you live on Ramen Noodles for just a few months or a few years?

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
$10,000 is very little money to start with, but it can be done. I can think of several different businesses that you could start in Palm Beach county with that little money.

They will not be huge money makers, but will be able to earn more than $10,000/month within 2-4 months, and $25,000-$50,000/month within a year.

Are you actually going to start a business, or is this just a theoretical exercise?

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
$10,000 is very little money to start with, but it can be done. I can think of several different businesses that you could start in Palm Beach county with that little money.

They will not be huge money makers, but will be able to earn more than $10,000/month within 2-4 months, and $25,000-$50,000/month within a year.

Are you actually going to start a business, or is this just a theoretical exercise?
Theoretical excerise. Trying to help people come up with fastlane ideas and encourage thinking out of the box.

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
Theoretical excerise. Trying to help people come up with fastlane ideas and encourage thinking out of the box.

Ok. Later this week, I will post how to build a small business.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
Ok. Later this week, I will post how to build a small business.
Great, thanks. We'll all be anxiously waiting. And this isn't necessarily aimed at a specific type of business. You could attempt to create a business that is poised to become huge. I only went with $10,000 for a startup because I felt that was reasonably realistic. If you had an idea that would require a lot of startup capital, feel free to post that, too.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

How about this, to show how much I respect your business IQ - post your ideas and if something rings a bell and I can do it here in Midwest, I'll take out a SBL and my cash and start it. Always wanted to, don't see why not do it now.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
bump,bump, peter must be busy and forgot just thought I would remind him :hl: can't wait to hear this its driving me crazy !!!

Peter2

Fastane Legend. RIP.
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 2, 2007
Palm Beach, FL
I have not been on the forum for a while, but I promise to type up a plan very soon. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.