The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Where do you hire your copywriters?

The business of web design

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hey everyone,
I will need a copywriter very soon, and I am looking for a spot where I can find a good copywriter.
I have never hired before and I am looking for a good spot to find copywriters for a sales funnel. I know the usual freelance spots (Upwork, Fiver) but I'd be very grateful if you have any suggestions.
Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Related question:

Should business/product owners outsource their early stage copywriting or should they, as the person who knows their business/product the very best, take direct and personal responsibility for the A/B testing process that builds the best possible sales funnel system?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Related question:

Should business/product owners outsource their early stage copywriting or should they, as the person who knows their business/product the very best, take direct and personal responsibility for the A/B testing process that builds the best possible sales funnel system?
I have always crafted my own spin, written my own copy, come up with all of my own pitch strategies, and communications.

I like my own understanding and therefore messaging better than trying to get someone else to do it.

Now with Chat GPT to help, this really should be a giant nothingburger. Get it done in 15 minutes. Improve over time.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
Related question:

I think the owner should be able to do it

If you can’t do it then how are you going to get a copywriter to?

If you can’t explain to potential customers why they should buy your stuff then why are you in business?

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
Related question:

As others said above, the owner - I do write and use my own copy, and I am curious about the conversion rates that a person who writes copy for a living can bring. I never had a professional copy done so I want to see what it can bring to the table.

Beijing

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Mar 8, 2017
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
As others said above, the owner - I do write and use my own copy, and I am curious about the conversion rates that a person who writes copy for a living can bring. I never had a professional copy done so I want to see what it can bring to the table.

That sounds like a very worthwhile experiment. If you've already built that skillset, bringing someone to the team (even for a short term engagement) who has some varied experiences in the same area could be a really great learning experience and a fantastic way to challenge yourself to grow.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
That sounds like a very worthwhile experiment. If you've already built that skillset, bringing someone to the team (even for a short term engagement) who has some varied experiences in the same area could be a really great learning experience and a fantastic way to challenge yourself to grow.
Exactly, that would be the idea. It's in one way for me to see where I can improve with my own writing but also if everything goes well, even talk to the person about contract work for my clients. It would free up a lot of my time and the client could be happier with his copy if he does a good job :) .

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
Do it if you have to. If you suck at it, learn or hire someone. A good copywriter will interview you to extensively understand the product.

If you can’t afford a copywriter, write it yourself and have one go over it and give suggestions/corrections. Cheaper than having them write it and they’ll give it an edge.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain
Hey everyone,
I will need a copywriter very soon, and I am looking for a spot where I can find a good copywriter.
I have never hired before and I am looking for a good spot to find copywriters for a sales funnel. I know the usual freelance spots (Upwork, Fiver) but I'd be very grateful if you have any suggestions.
Thanks!
Upwork is indeed one of the easiest places to hire... If you have no hiring experience then not so much. Copywriters look at your past work/reviews before deciding to send you a proposal (which costs about $3). And if we exclude the 10+ garbage proposals that you will get no matter what, it takes about 1week+ for the right people to find and message you.

Disclosure: I'm a landing page copywriter who hired agency writers before.

Since you're not hiring right away you could try other approaches:
- Like adding a careers page or "we're hiring!" cta to your website if you have enough traffic
- Searching on Google to see what portfolio websites come up (e.g., for "healthcare VSL copywritter") and email them directly
- Linkedin might work if you're experienced with it. I'm not and only mention it because it worked for many others
- Or maybe create a Hire/job/marketplace here at fastlane forum?

Muhammad Ibrahim

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Aug 1, 2022
Hey everyone,
Thanks!
sure I'll help you
tell us more about what you need, what kind of copy etc

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I have always crafted my own spin, written my own copy, come up with all of my own pitch strategies, and communications.

I like my own understanding and therefore messaging better than trying to get someone else to do it.

Now with Chat GPT to help, this really should be a giant nothingburger. Get it done in 15 minutes. Improve over time.
If you are selling B2B, yes, 99% of the time you don’t need a copywriter. I don’t think I ever wrote copy for B2B in my entire career. Copy for B2B is bullshit.

On the other hand, if you sell to gullible consumers… then you DO need copy, and you should be willing to pay a maestro thousands to create it for you. Hypnotize the consumers and get them to empty their wallets in your pockets!

Copy is most often needed for “scammy”, long-shot products that are unlikely to work (not because they suck, but, as a statistical matter, most consumers won’t get the result promised).

Say I sell a day-trading course. There are chads out there who make $10K/day day-trading. But your average Joe Schmo who buys the course won’t be able to replicate that success, most likely because they don’t have the skills.

The same for a biz-op courses.

The same for business books actually. Millions probably bought TMF , how many became millionaires? Probably a few thousands, at most a few tens of thousands.

Not because the product sucks, but because the people using it suck. So… for such products, copy is a MUST. Because copy is how you hypnotize people to forget about the effort involved (which they truly, deep down, know they’d never go thru with), and give you their cash.

To address the subject of this thread, I only hire copywriters from my network. Big chads that have worked for Agora, Boardroom and other big direct response players.

ugudango

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Apr 17, 2022
Bratislava, Slovakia
If you are selling B2B, yes, 99% of the time you don’t need a copywriter. I don’t think I ever wrote copy for B2B in my entire career. Copy for B2B is bullshit.

On the other hand, if you sell to gullible consumers… then you DO need copy, and you should be willing to pay a maestro thousands to create it for you. Hypnotize the consumers and get them to empty their wallets in your pockets!

Copy is most often needed for “scammy”, long-shot products that are unlikely to work (not because they suck, but, as a statistical matter, most consumers won’t get the result promised).

Say I sell a day-trading course. There are chads out there who make $10K/day day-trading. But your average Joe Schmo who buys the course won’t be able to replicate that success, most likely because they don’t have the skills.

The same for business books actually. Millions probably bought TMF , how many became millionaires? Probably a few thousands, at most a few tens of thousands.

Not because the product sucks, but because the people using it suck. So… for such products, copy is a MUST. Because copy is how you hypnotize people to forget about the effort involved (which they truly, deep down, know they’d never go thru with), and give you their cash.

To address the subject of this thread, I only hire copywriters from my network. Big chads that have worked for Agora, Boardroom and other big direct response players.
Very interesting. I never thought of it that way, but makes sense.

I am interested in your take on this, could you then argue that one-person or very small businesses should be marketed with the same B2C approach? If so, when is the point that the B2C copy persuasion becomes ineffective and B2B is the way to go?

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I am interested in your take on this, could you then argue that one-person or very small businesses should be marketed with the same B2C approach? If so, when is the point that the B2C copy persuasion becomes ineffective and B2B is the way to go?
It doesn’t matter how big or small the business is. What matters is who it’s selling to. Businesses that sell to consumers generally need copywriters.

Businesses that sell to other businesses usually don’t. I’m personally more of a fan of B2B, I think it’s a lot easier and a lot more profitable than selling to consumers.

MaxKhalus

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Jun 7, 2018
Spain

interesting.. how is that b2b doesn't need copywriting? maybe it needs it somewhere else, like in the case studies or direct outreach? why would anyone work with you not knowing how to leverage your past results, or show how you could get them such?

unless you do it yourself of course. then there's no need to hire b2b copywriters

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
interesting.. how is that b2b doesn't need copywriting? maybe it needs it somewhere else, like in the case studies or direct outreach? why would anyone work with you not knowing how to leverage your past results, or show how you could get them such?

unless you do it yourself of course. then there's no need to hire b2b copywriters
Good question!

The decision-making process in B2B is a lot more rational, and usually made under the consideration of much more serious consequences by people who have proven themselves to take such decisions well (otherwise they don’t survive for very long).

If a director in a company, for example, makes bad decisions, he’ll be out of a job. If an entrepreneur makes bad decisions, his business will close down.

If a consumer makes bad decisions? Usually their family, relatives or even social security covers for them. And as a consumer you can build a life out of making bad decisions — drug addicts, alcoholics, and so on.

So most consumers are emotionally and intellectually less mature than most business owners.

The way copywriting works is that the customer is supposed to be in this sort of trance while reading the sales letter, which builds up this strong urge in them to take action. Consumers don’t know how to resist these urges, which is why they take bad decisions — in fact, most of their decisions are bad, even when leading to good outcomes, because they act out of compulsion, not out of reason.

So in B2B what tends to matter most is (1) solid, credible result, (2) low effort, (3) little time required, (4) relatively small risk.

If you can deliver that, they buy. There’s no need for copy. There’s literarily nothing that I can say to a business owner to “trick” them, or convince them.

Some services, like agency services, are harder to sell, because they are intangibles. The owner doesn’t know what they’re going to get. Other services like cleaning services are perfectly tangible and hence much easier to sell because they know what they’ll get.

Like what copy do I need to sell my services for agencies? Literarily it’s here’s what we do, here’s proof we’ve worked with many other companies successfully, now buy.

I don’t care about benefits, learning about the target market and so on. This is literarily irrelevant, and it would be a massive waste to pay a copywriter. Business leaders don’t even read copy. They have no patience to read a sales letter.

They just look for credible people, with a track record and reputation. That’s it. Then it’s all human relationships beyond that point. In fact, the more copy you give them, the LESS likely they are to buy, because more information confuses them.

If you have no track record, you’re F*cked. Just work for little money first. No amount of copy will help you get big money from other businesses if you don’t have a track record, a reputation, a name.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
+1 Why not craft a great prompt for ChatGPT then generate your whole copy with ChatGPT? The premium version is just 20 USD per month.

Later if you sell $1000+ worth of products monthly, you can still hire an expensive copywriter, but why would you hire an expensive copywriter initially without a proven product / service?

GideonEkasi

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Nov 6, 2023
Hey everyone,
Thanks!
I'm here

mario.scaling

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 10, 2024
Hey everyone,
Thanks!
As a professional copywriter myself, the people you find on these freelance platforms are a joke among us. They pretend to be copywriters, steal people's money, and deliver no results for them. Also, I do not suggest writing copy with ChatGPT; it lacks humanity, and people can spot AI-written text from a mile away.

mario.scaling

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Mar 10, 2024

Well, if you ask my last client whom I helped 3x his revenue, he wouldn't say the same. And I did that only through email marketing! Even B2B businesses need to communicate their value the right way, follow the value equation by Alex Hormozi so that the perceived value is through the roof.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.