The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's important to you.

Eric

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Dec 9, 2007
As many of you, I enjoy fast cars and bikes. I found this over at the gixxer forum.

>>>>My buddy just sent me this email - How many of you can relate?

>>>>Yeah man....I just had a real sobering convo with Rob just now...about life ...working in a cubicle... how to get thru the days... You know that the fastest growing suicide age group is now in middle aged people (they described as 46-54). It's because people reach the end of their life and realize....is this all their is?? We all go through life chasing this dangling carrot, continuously striving for what it all is we think makes us happy...for so many it's money, and stuff. The extraordinarily sad part is man, that I'm just now starting to seriously realize that none of that makes me happy. So why unhappily slave all my life for more money, when i'm now realizing that it's not doing it for me!! I have literally everything I've ever wanted, material wise, but feel more anxious and not fulfilled than ever before! Well, maybe I'm being a little dramatic, but you know what I mean? Look at all these rich bastards who have $3M burr ridge homes with mercedes and bentleys.....divorces, working long hours, they're utterly unhappy! I'm leaving for South America man....leaving all my stuff behind. Scoop up my car at O'hare, the title is in the glove box. Give it to your fiancee or sell it and pay for your honeymoon. I'll call you in a few.

I just called him - He told his boss he would not be coming back. She said - "are you sick?" He said "I am NEVER coming back." He is racing to the airport to catch a 1:30p.m. To Charlotte and 5:45p.m. to Miami where he is spending the night - Catching a 7:30 a.m. flight to Costa Rica tomorrow... To think last night we were playing Madden and none of this came up.

I think its crazy how one day out of the blue, something just clicks in one's head and they make a drastic change to improve their life. I thought that was pretty cool.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

WestCoast

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
313%
Jan 20, 2008
Rhode Island for now.
sounds more like a mid-life crisis than an epiphany.

that said, there are some interesting lessons.
The goal is not to acquire money or things, but to work to get what you need/want.

so, he seems to have decided what is important for now, and off he goes. more power too him, you only go around the world once, and I doubt he'll ever look back and go... I wish I worked in that cubicle one more day... :)

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
for me I have everything thats important to me. they are all sound asleep.

money and everything else that comes with it mean nothing without my family.

I never wanted the "toys" I dont do shoes and purses or anything else for that matter. I guess I am just not a materialistic kind of person.

the only reason I want to be in the fastlane is to take care of my family and enjoy what life is really all about, helping people not gathering things.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
sounds more like a mid-life crisis than an epiphany.
Ha, as if there is a difference ;-)

The goal is not to acquire money or things, but to work to get what you need/want.
It´s funny, many people talk about making money by fulfilling their customers needs, but forget at the same time the initial goal, to fulfill their own needs. That´s why developing the PLAN is essential, to get aware of own needs and goals.
Just my 2€c

Cheyanne12

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 20, 2008
Pennsylvania
Having adopted a little boy with Down syndrome, and going through heart catheterization with him in August... well, I can say TIME is the most precious gift we have. Sure I'd love to take him to Disney, but I just moved him out of a situation where money was good, but the area was riddled with crime. So I'm back in the country again where I feel safe again, but money and jobs are another story. Ideally I want to provide for him when I'm gone. However, my TIME with him today is very important because we never know what tomorrow will bring. Family is always on the top of my priority list, and I've seen rough times with my husband having two jobs within one year to become unemployed right before Christmas. Yet instead of blaming him, I'm here to DO something about the future. I do realize that my thoughts will either bring me success or failure, and I may have to use my time very wisely.
Today I was thinking how we walked away from our rental with a big chunk of our money tied in security, but because we didn't give 60 days notice we may as well have kissed the money goodbye. $3000 to rich man isn't much, but to a family who has struggled for years it's everything. Yet I'd give up that so called "EVERYTHING" for the safety of my family, and certainly for the time. My parents aren't doing very well health wise right now, so I knew moving back also meant TIME with the ones I love. When you face death, your priorities often change. Money can't exactly give us more time with anyone.
Well these are just a few thoughts this morning. Family is important to me.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
TIME is the most precious gift we have. (...) Money can't exactly give us more time with anyone.
I do 100% agree. Rep+ from my side. However, sometimes money can buy time, especially when it comes to healthcare. So money is not bad in itself. It depends on what you make out of it.

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia
The saying that "money is the root of all evil" is definitely askew. the DESIRE for money can be the root of all evil, if left unchecked and functioning as an end in itself. Everyone needs money, and everyone wants certain things like a nice house, nice car, an awesome family vacation or the like. Money offers us opportunity; it is a matter of whether or not what we do with that opportunity makes the time spent earning the money worthwhile. Think scrooge in "A Christmas Carol." At least that's my opinion. I want to get on the fast track to be able to offer my family better opportunities in life, so for me at least money is a means to an end, niot an end in itself.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
The saying that "money is the root of all evil" is definitely askew. the DESIRE for money can be the root of all evil, if left unchecked and functioning as an end in itself.

I think a lot of this old Myth comes from some of the ancient anti-Semites who originally wrote down a lot of this garbage throughout history. It's woven into everything from religeous texts to fairytales at this point. There was a lot of resentment towards the Jews in the old world, because they had a lot of the money -- and they were charging interest to lend it to people. Sure enough, you find all of these writings about how Money is the root of all evil, Christ driving out the "Money Lenders", or making statements like -- It's easier for a camel to pass through the head of a pin, than it is for a rich man to make it into heaven.

Hogwash ;) Think about your sources, and think for yourself.

- Hakrjak

taichijedi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Feb 22, 2008
Philadelphia
I think a lot of this old Myth comes from some of the ancient anti-Semites who originally wrote down a lot of this garbage throughout history. It's woven into everything from religeous texts to fairytales at this point. There was a lot of resentment towards the Jews in the old world, because they had a lot of the money -- and they were charging interest to lend it to people. Sure enough, you find all of these writings about how Money is the root of all evil, Christ driving out the "Money Lenders", or making statements like -- It's easier for a camel to pass through the head of a pin, than it is for a rich man to make it into heaven.

Hogwash ;) Think about your sources, and think for yourself.

- Hakrjak

I definitely do think for myself, and I said that it is not true. Having money is fine. It just seems to me that people think they want money and really they want something else. And sometimes, chasing money can cost something else, like a relationship or health. I don't think money is bad, so long as people don't lose sight of what is really important to them (unless money is all that's important to someone, then I digress :thumbsup:).

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
I agree. I actually dont want the money. I want a better life. for me and my husband and my kids. I want to be able to afford the things I cant now. like swimming lessons for my kids and dance classes for my dd. and to be able to have my dh home with us so he can enjoy our family instead of slaving away making someone else rich...

dont get me wrong it would be awesome if I could go into a store and be able to buy whatever we want at any time. but thats not whats important to me. my family is.

Legacy Dad

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Sep 3, 2007
Worldwide, depending on the month.
For me it's about buying my time back. Having enough passive income to build a 4000 sq. foot custom log cabin in the mountains and then spending my time working on worthy causes, charities and my own personal passions.

I could quit my job and do this now (minus the Log Cabin) but I would then be struggling to support a family and live my dreams.

When I worked completely non-profit on a project, it was not about if I made money. It was about the cause, the movement, the other people who believed even though they weren't getting paid. It was the sheer altruistic nature of the whole thing.

I want that back. But I also want to be able to fund it with my own coin.

I'm not into cars, clothes or other status items. I want the pure satisfaction of knowing each day I wake up, money is not an issue.

I want to be able to fly my friends and family to my estate any time I want to treat them to a first class time.

I want my children to be able to have experiences and opportunities that most only dream of.

I want to die knowing that what I did in my life will forever leave an impact on my family, friends and this world. In faith, finances, leadership, morals and love.

This is what I call a Legacy.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.