The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What's a good industry to build software for?

hobokook

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
42%
Feb 23, 2012
Hi,

I want to get into the software as a service business, building software for businesses.

The problem is I'm not sure what industry to go into.

I'm just wondering if you guys had any opinions on industries that would be good for building software in?

I know this is a vague question but I'm really having trouble choosing an industry.

-Keith

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I heard the pencil lead distribution market has a huge undeserved need for software

nzerinto

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Aug 1, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Keith - you are likely not going to receive very helpful replies to your question.
Any industry could probably do with new/helpful software. The key point is simply finding a problem in that industry, and either solving it, or doing it better than existing competitors.
Knowing something about the industry would be a good place to start, so start from within your circle of influence, and widen the search from there.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I guess you got this idea from watching something related to Dane Maxwell or the foundation? If so, you should check out sam oven's case study. He choose his industry based on the fact that they were posting a lot on job sites (e.g. spending a lot of money = healthy industry). So thats one option.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Software for people that want to make money on the Internet.
Health/wellness
Forex

Never been a shortage of buyers in these areas.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Software to help people find businesses that want to buy software?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'd pay for a need-finder.

evanwebb

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Jan 31, 2011
Austin, TX
Best place to find what you are talking about is to get out from behind your desk and go talk to business owners. Make it clear what you can do and that your main goal is to solve one of their biggest problems. If you know business owners, start there. If not, call up small business owners (like on the phone) in your area and just say, "If I could save you a thousand dollars a month on your operating expenses, would that be worth 15 minutes of your time." You might be able to do that, you might not. But that's your headline to continue the conversation. Then spend those fifteen minutes talking about their problems with them. Listen. Close the conversation by offering to come in and meet with them to discuss further.
Another thought is to find a problem you currently have and then talk to other business owners in your industry and see if they have the same problem. Collaborate to find a solution, and then create that solution.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
How much?

1-billion-dollars.png

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Hi,

I want to get into the software as a service business, building software for businesses.

The problem is I'm not sure what industry to go into.

I'm just wondering if you guys had any opinions on industries that would be good for building software in?

I know this is a vague question but I'm really having trouble choosing an industry.

-Keith

Develop mobile and Internet banking platforms for credit unions and/or banks. Unless they are big institutions, they outsource these functions. A customer I closed at my job does this for credit unions.

If you need training, see if you can intern with Jack Henry & Company Jack Henry Corporate. They develop these platforms for banks.

andyredsox

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
22%
Oct 24, 2012
Keith - you are likely not going to receive very helpful replies to your question.
Any industry could probably do with new/helpful software. The key point is simply finding a problem in that industry, and either solving it, or doing it better than existing competitors.
Knowing something about the industry would be a good place to start, so start from within your circle of influence, and widen the search from there.

I agree with this.. Focus in just one industry and learn as much as you can about it. That's to design a software and make it stand out from among the competition. Have you heard about Facility Management Software? You can definitely find a good number of customers if you develop a superior one!

VIP

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Oct 19, 2012
San Diego
What ever you develop make sure it integrates with all the major social networks like facebook, instagram, twitter, etc that way you can go viral much quicker.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.