The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you tell your 18 or 25 year old self?

Roots

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Aug 6, 2016
Thanks @Roots for the reminder. It looks like my past "self" is better at giving me instructions than my future self.

I needed the reminder that "Nobody else is the cause of your problems". :)

Haha yeah those are good words to live by. Another one of my favorites is "Life: Don't take it personally"

And thanks to you and everyone who contributes on this forum. It is an amazing resource.

Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
hahaha I would say, "dont buy that stupid fast challenger you dont need it! utilize that money into something that will enable monthly or better yet daily returns on investment!"

Andrew J.

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jan 21, 2017
GREECE
1. Set bigger goals that you think you can accomplish.
2. Perceive failure as a blessing. It will lead you to success
3. Don't hear to somebody that tells you ''you cant''. It is because he can't.
4. Never give up your dreams. Find a way or make one.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Shit!! 26 here.. Lol!!!

you know, i am forty and i wish i had been an a**hole at 25 instead of the good guy

because these guys have the good life anyway. while my youth was a complete disaster

let's do a quick calculation:

the average lifespan of a human is 75 years according to statistics

i have lost completely 20 of my best years. completely and i mean that

at 40, i can count on another 20 years of being able to have a life worth living before being old and powerless.

so i can't afford to remain the nice guy and to lose the remaining 20 years . the price is too high

so if anyone has ears to hear and a brain to think , my definitive advice is

" kick a$$, nobody is waiting for you after your death to reward you for being the nice guy "

and i mean that

Locomote

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
362%
Feb 10, 2017
Canada
1. Read more!
2. Don't focus on making money... Focus on adding value first
(and the money will soon follow)
3. Fail fast (If something truly isn't working don't wait so long to charge it) Fail bigger! (If you have a goal in mind double it, if you fail chances are you probably met your first target. If you don't fail you now know you need to aim higher next time!)

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
I'm still reading (on page 5) but I wanted to do mine :)

- Treasure every dollar. Skip every frivolous purchase. Put that money into entrepreneurship, savings, or travel. Buy the "stuff" later.
- Treat the people in your life better, especially the ones who love you. Love them back, with no shame.
- Go for what you feel you want, not what you think you want.
- Never do things that make you feel guilty.
- Align your Balls and your Brains. They work best in harmony.
- Make more music. Go out of your way to share it with people, you self-centered bastard.
- Continually strive to replace passive entertainment with active learning.
- Learn to program sooner. Software will become your ideal business model. You have a natural gift for programming and business. Put 2 and 2 together.
- Don't smoke tobacco.

AND I REPEAT:

- DON'T BUY STUFF. MONEY IS FOR VENTURES, SAVINGS, AND TRAVEL- IN THAT ORDER

Last edited:

Young-Gun

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Mar 8, 2014
Austin, TX
How many of you fastlaners feel it would be beneficial to start hustling/business around 19 years old? Or would you focus on creating good strong discipline and healthy habits to carry on for the rest of your life? Would you do both? This is my dilemma. This gold mine (Thread) has ran kinda dry, lets spark some new life into it

This question is great, even if it's over a year old. I felt compelled to respond for anyone who might see it in the future.

I'd say to start your business immediately... like TODAY. Age doesn't matter.

Use that enterprise as a core to form additional discipline and healthy habits.

When you're running your own venture, the pride (and stress) of ownership will naturally drive you to new heights.

You'll build your networth, and have a channel to pour your drive and energy into.

Having your own business creates a fantastic framework for personal development.

Trust me. Just do it. Being your own boss is worth it, every day. I can't imagine going back. I'd spend 50 years struggling towards my own dreams as my own boss rather than 50 years of plush golden handcuffs as an employee building another man's dream.

Spending the years of my life building another man's dreams.
The thought almost makes me retch. It physically raises bile in my throat. Don't go there.

My vote is 100% to start your own business NOW. It doesn't matter what age you are, 12 to 99. You'll figure it out as you go. And a new world of possibilities (and struggles) will open up before you.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
you know, i am forty and i wish i had been an a**hole at 25 instead of the good guy

You were never the good guy. You don't have to be an a**hole. Being the bad guy and being the nice guy are both predicated on being concerned with what people think. That's why I can't stand the PuA vein that appears on this forum from time to time.

grindmode

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Jan 21, 2017
Kansas City
You were never the good guy. You don't have to be an a**hole. Being the bad guy and being the nice guy are both predicated on being concerned with what people think. That's why I can't stand the PuA vein that appears on this forum from time to time.
aka "Do you and I'm gonna do me..." :) GOLD

G

Guest24480

Agreed. There's a huge difference between being a "nice guy" and being a nice guy.

The former attaches being nice to his identity and expects something out of others in return for it. That guy reeks of desperation. The latter is just a good person for the sake of being a good person. They emit good vibes and draw others towards them because they're pleasant to be around.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

because these guys have the good life anyway. while my youth was a complete disaster

let's do a quick calculation:

the average lifespan of a human is 75 years according to statistics

i have lost completely 20 of my best years. completely and i mean that

at 40, i can count on another 20 years of being able to have a life worth living before being old and powerless.

so i can't afford to remain the nice guy and to lose the remaining 20 years . the price is too high

so if anyone has ears to hear and a brain to think , my definitive advice is

" kick a$$, nobody is waiting for you after your death to reward you for being the nice guy "

and i mean that

Dude, you are rolling yourself in self pity in every message you post.

Get real. The phase you're in now, will probably the next you feel sorry for. Self pity is more "beta" than being a nice guy. You're only 40, are you gonna whine about your past until you're a real old man?

Stop crying and at least become a kick a$$ old man, not a frustrated sad piece of what once was life.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
i just came back from a walk in town

next lesson you MUST learn at 25 before it is too late :

learn to handle rejection before fear destroys your life

today, a girl was raising fund in the street and she asked me money

i didn't give her money

instead i asked her :

" how can you handle to be rejected all the day ? this is incredible, i can't do that "

" in fact, my life has been a disaster because i couldn't accept a girl or anyone saying to me :

get away from me , i don't like you, loser ! "

the girl replied : " yes only 3 people a day give me money and i get rejected hundreds of time

but anyway when victory comes, i will be very happy ! "

can you understand that statement ?

i have lost my youth , 20 years of sex, relationship , success, and so on

whatever

because i couldn't understand this sentence

can you believe that ?

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
Oct 26, 2012
i just came back from a walk in town

next lesson you MUST learn at 25 before it is too late :

learn to handle rejection before fear destroys your life

today, a girl was raising fund in the street and she asked me money

i didn't give her money

instead i asked her :

" how can you handle to be rejected all the day ? this is incredible, i can't do that "

" in fact, my life has been a disaster because i couldn't accept a girl or anyone saying to me :

get away from me , i don't like you, loser ! "

the girl replied : " yes only 3 people a day give me money and i get rejected hundreds of time

but anyway when victory comes, i will be very happy ! "

can you understand that statement ?

i have lost my youth , 20 years of sex, relationship , success, and so on

whatever

because i couldn't understand this sentence

can you believe that ?

tumblr_mpoin3eFgg1qhx46yo1_500.gif

Fotis

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Feb 26, 2014
Build a freaking e-mail list of clients and prospects.

Read one book on critical thinking, not twenty. Invest the
rest of the time reading Dan Kennedy and Gary Halbert.

Realize that money is just the measuring stick. You don't
wish for "X money per month." You want the freedom and
peace of mind "X money per month" gives you.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
I did everything I needed in my late teens / early twenties.

Could have done more, but my main goal was to build a series of assets that would allow me to build a proper business in my late twenties / early thirties. I would tell my 25 year old self to stay the course no matter what. Don't sell out just because things get difficult, remain grounded and continue to plan for massive gains.

rpeck90

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
Nov 26, 2016
United Kingdom
How many of you fastlaners feel it would be beneficial to start hustling/business around 19 years old? Or would you focus on creating good strong discipline and healthy habits to carry on for the rest of your life? Would you do both? This is my dilemma. This gold mine (Thread) has ran kinda dry, lets spark some new life into it

I started when I was 16 - playing with websites and such.

I will say this - I would STRONGLY recommend going for it if you are honest with yourself, and want to run a business.

I personally felt I needed experience over qualifications so I went with my CV to companies who were hiring at 17. I pursued ambitious jobs and just showed them what I'd done. Miraculously, a local company ended up hiring me even though I didn't have a degree. That gave me such discipline, motivation and money.

There is no substitute for money. You have to earn it, which builds discipline. If you have any doubt about your lifestyle, please remember that men age differently to women. Women only have ~5 / 6 years of sexual prime (18-24), after which they begin to decline. Men's sexual prime starts after 30 and keeps growing until maybe 55 (or more). This is why you see many older men with young women. As a guy, you don't need to be partying at 18 - you should be working. Men have it totally different to women - work in your 20's and party in your 30's.

Envision

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
779%
May 5, 2014

Ayanle Farah

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Dec 13, 2016
My 25 year old self would know better than me, unless he got so absorbed in his goals he forgot obvious stuff like stopping to smell the flowers(meaning appreciate every moment).

I like to think I would tell my 25 year old self that he did an amazing job reaching our goals.

DifficultTruth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
500%
Nov 22, 2016
My mini-career as an EMT has had a pretty big impact on how I view life. Some things I learned that I'd tell a 25yo:

-The people who succeed and survive in life are those who are willing to ask questions, put themselves out there, put their pride away, and humble themselves.

-Making money is simple - numerous forum posts on here detail exactly how to do it. The discipline and humility required to execute on the knowledge gained is the hard part.

Something I am just now learning to do is to ASK. The majority of the people I have asked for help couldn't wait to help me. Very rarely in the short time I have been asking for help have I run across someone unwilling to help, or insulted me for asking, and in reality, I wouldn't really want to listen to someone who has that attitude towards people anyway.

"You just need to solve one thing at a time… Step by step, day by day, solve one problem and it all works out. But if you try to solve the whole thing before you even get started, you’re never going to get started.”

+

How to deal with problems that come up:

"There are going to be fires all over the place. Keep it simple:
just focus on the one, most important fire."

This is my biggest issues currently. I blow things up and kill myself in my mind trying to think of the million things that COULD happen instead of just doing it and reacting to what DOES happen. Actively working through this but struggling.

I just turned 21, but if I had to give my younger self advice:

1) Get in shape/healthy now; don't wait till your 20, you're missing out.
2) Love yourself and view every struggle as a situation to grow, there is no point in self loathing and hate.
3) Don't get caught up in MLM, read TMF and you'll know why internally you always hated it and you can't do good things with something you hate.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.