The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you spend your GI bill on

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
I already have an undergrad degree and have qualified for the post 911 GI bill. It would basically pay for a master's degree or could also possibly be used for alternative types of schooling like flight training or other vocational training. What would you use it for? Any good suggestions for studies that would help with future fastlane endeavors?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Business, marketing, accounting related. Something you can always use with any business.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
the only thing I would study if I had a chance (besides law or medicine but both are never ending subjects) would be business.

as someone who does not have any kind of real formal education just at a basic level I would take business writing like professional business letters and things like that. and though there are many things I would study none would likely fit your bill criteria requirements...

edit to add- I just reread your post. I would do paralegal or something along those lines. I would do as many financial business and legal courses as you could :)

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
Business, marketing, accounting related. Something you can always use with any business.
the only thing I would study if I had a chance (besides law or medicine but both are never ending subjects)......I would take business writing like professional business letters and things like that.

edit to add- I just reread your post. I would do paralegal or something along those lines. I would do as many financial business and legal courses as you could :)

Accounting and business sound useful....thanks for the ideas!

SarahSH

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
May 6, 2014
Kansas
You may already have all that would be of direct help.
I'd do something fun. And easy.
Hmmmm fun and easy, definitely tempting to try something along those lines, thanks!:)

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I already have an undergrad degree and have qualified for the post 911 GI bill. It would basically pay for a master's degree or could also possibly be used for alternative types of schooling like flight training or other vocational training. What would you use it for? Any good suggestions for studies that would help with future fastlane endeavors?
I wouldn't unless it's for very specific courses like marketing,etc. At this point in your entrepreneur journey, why wouldn't you waste time and mental energy on something that isn't going to bring you closer to success??

Just my two cents

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
accounting is a major if I am not mistaken... maybe its not. idk. anyway I wouldn't do specific things. I would do general courses, with the exception of business (or business math). accounting is a lot more math than you probably need you just need a good grasp on basics. see https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/threads/math.52849/#post-371806

unless you are thinking of something specifically that requires more math.

other than whats already been mentioned I would spend it on things that interest you.(as much as you can) if they have other things (cooking baking horticulture etc) that excite you then you can really study anything you want. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
298%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
If you HAVE to learn something, and its possible for you to learn it...learn HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

A basic understanding will help you make small website changes and move around things like conversion tracking codes and other stuff like that.

Since the internet is a massive channel that will fuel 90%+ of Fastlane ventures, it is a worthwhile skill to have (though you don't want to be a developer, IMHO, just have the knowledge to do some basic things without too much screwing around).

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
If you HAVE to learn something, and its possible for you to learn it...learn HTML/CSS/JavaScript.

A basic understanding will help you make small website changes and move around things like conversion tracking codes and other stuff like that.

Since the internet is a massive channel that will fuel 90%+ of Fastlane ventures, it is a worthwhile skill to have (though you don't want to be a developer, IMHO, just have the knowledge to do some basic things without too much screwing around).
now that is an awesome idea!! computer stuff!!! :D Rep ++

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I went to a private business school. Part of any of the programs whether it was business, sciences, culinary, or arts, you had to take Algebra, and continue on with math either business related or algebra II, geometry, calculus etc.

You also had professional strategies, presentations, business communications, international communications, and basic criteria we were all suppose to use. Like mine was in sciences, but I also learned to start a business from scratch, manage, and administrative.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I would not "spend" it on anything. Don't be allergic to money. Keep and invest it until the decision is clear.

Everything that is discussed above can be learned without blowing your GI bill, more importantly these tasks can be hired out.

I suggest you dive into some more business books go take a look at the "ideas without execution" thread and make a run at one.

Edit: Nevermind, see below.

Last edited:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
I would not "spend" it on anything. Don't be allergic to money. Keep and invest it until the decision is clear.

Everything that is discussed above can be learned without blowing your GI bill, more importantly these tasks can be hired out.

I suggest you dive into some more business books go take a look at the "ideas without execution" thread and make a run at one.

The post 9/11 GI bill pays for tuition and a monthly stipend. So in order to get the money, you have to be in school.

I would recommend taking classes outside your area of expertise, learn about things that aren't necessary. You never know what a little knowledge about one thing, can be connected with something completely different and form an idea. School's also a good place to meet people.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
The post 9/11 GI bill pays for tuition and a monthly stipend. So in order to get the money, you have to be in school.

I would recommend taking classes outside your area of expertise, learn about things that aren't necessary. You never know what a little knowledge about one thing, can be connected with something completely different and form an idea. School's also a good place to meet people.

Wow, I had no idea. I knew people who have told me that they bought jet skis and other dumb crap with it.

In that case, management and finance are my picks.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
once your in the programs(idk about gi bills specifically but government education programs in general) they give you living expenses and money for books and other things that if you spend wisely you can have money left over to spend on whatever you want...

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego

GI bill also has a shelf live. Mine expired decades ago.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha...yes this is the joke at the school I went too. You'd have people on welfare sign up for classes and stay in class until their student loans would appear by certain months. They would drop out and repeat the process. Not just them, but many students would end up buying cars, paying rent, buying clothes, computers, gadgets, drugs, alcohol, or what ever. It doesn't take long for college students to pick that up. In the end they haven't finished classes, but huge debt. Also the ones that do finish, have added debt. My professor's used to joke about it, because people are just plain stupid.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Ha ha...yes this is the joke at the school I went too. You'd have people on welfare sign up for classes and stay in class until their student loans would appear by certain months. They would drop out and repeat the process. Not just them, but many students would end up buying cars, paying rent, buying clothes, computers, gadgets, drugs, alcohol, or what ever. It doesn't take long for college students to pick that up. In the end they haven't finished classes, but huge debt. Also the ones that do finish, have added debt. My professor's used to joke about it, because people are just plain stupid.
I know people who have done it but the right way ;) though I imagine there are plenty of abuses. I can totally see how that would happen... the little bit of money that I saw being spent on things were definitely needed for schooling. (car repairs or insurance or day care etc.) but it still was astounding how they just hand the money over and don't even care what it gets spent on...

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I would use it for any type of specialized licenses and or certifications that you could get. Where you can freelance in that industry if wanted/ needed.

I used IVG (Illinois Veterans Grant) and Post 9/11 for a Bachelors degree in Business Management, a Real Estate license, and a full certification and Cosmetology license.

Thanks Unc!

ETA: These education benefits are time sensitive also (Kak) so if you don't use them, you lose them. Its the main reason why I went to college to get my Bachelors degree. No sense in letting the funds go to waste.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
but it still was astounding how they just hand the money over and don't even care what it gets spent on...

The stipend when using the Post 9/11 Grant, which is around $1900 per month in Chicago (while enrolled as a full time student) is a benefit that was earned by the soldier, and is apart of the contract they signed when they agreed to serve in the military. It is intended and issued to be a housing allowance. If you have your housing expenses covered, you can spend it how you see fit, as it is direct deposited to your bank account.

I know people who use it for any and everything but housing (myself included). I don't see anything wrong with that. We earned it.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
I didn't imply anywhere in any post about people not deserving anything first of all. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Second of all idc what you or anyone else earned its for a purpose and it should at least be accounted for. I don't think its right to misappropriate specific funds for unrelated expenses. (Drugs or other illegal activities come to mind) if there were greater accountability it would likely decrease blatent abuse and ensure a higher percentage is used for the specified purpose. And I specifically stated I was speaking in generalized terms as most of the people I know 7/10 were on welfare not gi bills though I do know several of each.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I didn't imply anywhere in any post about people not deserving anything first of all. That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said. Second of all idc what you or anyone else earned its for a purpose and it should at least be accounted for. I don't think its right to misappropriate specific funds for unrelated expenses. (Drugs or other illegal activities come to mind) if there were greater accountability it would likely decrease blatent abuse and ensure a higher percentage is used for the specified purpose. And I specifically stated I was speaking in generalized terms as most of the people I know 7/10 were on welfare not gi bills though I do know several of each.

I didn't mention anything about people deserving it- from you or me, either!

Secondly, the purpose of the Post 9/11 Grant, which was added as an option to trade in the ORIGINAL Montgomery GI Bill, was CREATED in order to further assist veterans with obtaining their degrees by giving them the housing allowance as a lot of veterans were complaining to the VA that they did not have the time to go to school because they had to work to pay their mortgages and rent! This was the solution that the VA came up with.

The funds are NOT misappropriated! If a veteran is in school and is pursuing a degree and is using their benefit to pay whatever expenses they have which may not SPECIFICALLY be a HOUSING expense, then to me the funds are being used as intended! I use my allowance for whatever I want/need: to include FOOD, GAS, BILLS, and even ENTERTAINMENT, CLOTHES, etc. Its all in the same pot in my checking account.

According to what you are posting, if you signed a contract and was given a monetary payout for it, and fulfilled the obligations of said contract someone else should dictate to you how you should spend what you have earned?!

No need to get feisty Carrie, I was not trying to call you out- I was just trying to clarify the Grant, as I am an ACTUAL recipient of it.

There are 2 parts to the Post 9/11 grant.

1. Tuition payments
2. Housing stipends

You did not specify which you were referring to when you made your post, but I am assuming you meant the housing stipend as the tuition is always forwarded directly to the school and the veteran can not access those funds.

In regard to the housing stipend it is intended to help the veteran out financially while they pursue their degree- some NEED to spend it on actual rent or mortgage, others don't. I was drawing my benefits out while I was working, and while I was not working a 9/5. In both cases I spent it how I saw fit.

This is just MY first hand knowledge and experience with it, and other veterans I personally know and interact with who are using the benefit. I'm sure its different for everyone.

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
once your in the programs(idk about gi bills specifically but government education programs in general) they give you living expenses and money for books and other things that if you spend wisely you can have money left over to spend on whatever you want...

You actually AGREE with what I have written. So what are you so upset about?!

I responded to what you wrote because you made THIS comment:

but it still was astounding how they just hand the money over and don't even care what it gets spent on...

I responded to that because this is simply NOT TRUE!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
You actually AGREE with what I have written. So what are you so upset about?!

I responded to what you wrote because you made THIS comment:

I responded to that because this is simply NOT TRUE!
it is true. just because I stated how reality is (that it can be used for anything and noone checks or cares) that doesn't mean it shouldn't be accounted for. I earned my soc sec benefits (even dependant ones) but I still have to account what the benefits were/are used for. not penny by penny but generally.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
I'm not PERSONALLY familiar with SS benefits, so I am not going to speak on them except to say that I know people who do receive these benefits, and they spend them it whatever they want to as well, as far as I know they don't report to anyone on how they spend it either.

BAH (Basic Allowance for Housing) is the actual term for the housing stipend. I guess it would be spent appropriately if the government called it a Living allowance. Then, according to what you think the benefit is for people could use it to live off of while pursuing their degree and it would by your standards of being used appropriately!!!

I assure you, if Uncle Sam wanted to insure these funds were being used in a specific manner, they would have been designed to actually provide the payment DIRECTLY to each veterans mortgage company and or landlord, in the specific amount that the veteran owed.
As they DO in fact have other GRANTS and PROGRAMS that do EXACTLY and SPECIFICALLY that.

You made a comment on something, and you are wrong about that. I tried to give readers some first hand insight and knowledge on the matter, and I don't understand why you felt it necessary to post such a negative, defensive, and catty response the way you did. It was uncalled for honestly!

Post 9/11 is not a welfare or a handout. Not sure if you think it is, but its not. These are funds that the government has contractually agreed to pay a veteran upon successful completion of terms agreed to in a contract...just like any other job.

EDIT: Did you know that not every veteran who successfully fulfills their contract get these benefits?! They won't be entitled to these benefits if they elected to forfeit a $1200 buy in into the MGIB. This is an entitlement, based on a signed contract.

As a SN:
A lot of people always have something to say about a veteran and what they get from the government in terms of preference for job opportunities and other financial benefits. Well- that is the trade off of being a veteran who served their country, most times in a COMBAT zone. Everyone makes a choice. Some people choose to serve, some don't. The government should take such care of their soldiers. They suit up and literally put their life on the line so that others can stay home and collect THEIR social security benefits, and whatever ELSE they might be entitled to. In actuality there are a lot of veterans who DON'T get what they need from the government once they return home. Esp. in terms of mental and medical health care.

To me the same mindset applies: A veteran did what a civilian didn't, so that when they got back home they could do what a civilian can't. (Which in this instance is go to college 100% for free, and get $1900 per month to spend on housing expenses.) CHOICES. Just like being an Entreprenuer or a 9 to 5er.

I know I made my point in the previous post, so I won't reply again, but you keep trying to make what you said right, even after I have explained it to you so I will leave it alone.

To the OP, if you have any more questions about P 9/11 please post them, or message me about it. I know a lot about it, as I have been drawing these benefits out since 2010.

Last edited:

randomnumber314

speed of a drunk camel
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Jan 7, 2014
Minnesoooota,USA
A word of caution to those using chapter 33 benefits (post 9/11 GI Bill): make sure you're aware of how much you have left, and if the government somehow overpays the school. I am dealing with this currently (one of the most infuriating bureaucratic nightmares in existence) and my credit took a huge hit.

Stay way out in front of the VA on this, or you'll be trying to deal with this while waiting on hold for an hour+ only to have the system hang up on you, dealing with websites that don't work, or generally waiting 6-8 weeks to get a response from emails/mail.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
Opinion... never said it was right or wrong. or anything for that matter except stated a fact...

You made a comment on something, and you are wrong about that. I tried to give readers some first hand insight and knowledge on the matter, and I don't understand why you felt it necessary to post such a negative, defensive, and catty response the way you did. It was uncalled for honestly!

I know I made my point in the previous post, so I won't reply again, but you keep trying to make what you said right, even after I have explained it to you so I will leave it alone.

I posted an opinion. I never said it was right or wrong... (that was you)

and I am on ssd. you absolutely have to account for DEPENDANT BENFITS (which is still earned by me)

my post wasn't a comment about if it should be allowed to be used for other things. or if the people receiving it earned it. idk where you got that shit from...

so I posted an opinion and you argued with it. then I reexplained it and you still argue. I didn't say anything in correct or wrong. I posted opinions about facts. (which happen to be the same as yours btw) it is still astounding. if I have to put on a piece of paper that I used my ssd benefits to pay for rent and care of my children (just a statement) for something that is not a housing allowance and really can be used for anything. then people who get money for specific things should be reporting as well. I am sorry, if you have 100 people who can get the bill and only 75 can because of funds. and 60 of them are buying cars jet skis and drugs with more then n half the money. if it was known and used appropriately (for education and housing) and the excess was properly allocated all 100 would get the benefit... (and this goes for ANY PROGRAM NOT JUST THE GI BILLS) again its an opinion and a theoretical example, so don't go telling me how incorrect my statement is please

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Opinion... never said it was right or wrong. or anything for that matter except stated a fact...

I posted an opinion. I never said it was right or wrong... (that was you)

and I am on ssd. you absolutely have to account for DEPENDANT BENFITS (which is still earned by me)

my post wasn't a comment about if it should be allowed to be used for other things. or if the people receiving it earned it. idk where you got that shit from...

so I posted an opinion and you argued with it. then I reexplained it and you still argue. I didn't say anything in correct or wrong. I posted opinions about facts. (which happen to be the same as yours btw) it is still astounding. if I have to put on a piece of paper that I used my ssd benefits to pay for rent and care of my children (just a statement) for something that is not a housing allowance and really can be used for anything. then people who get money for specific things should be reporting as well. I am sorry, if you have 100 people who can get the bill and only 75 can because of funds. and 60 of them are buying cars jet skis and drugs with more then n half the money. if it was known and used appropriately (for education and housing) and the excess was properly allocated all 100 would get the benefit... (and this goes for ANY PROGRAM NOT JUST THE GI BILLS) again its an opinion and a theoretical example, so don't go telling me how incorrect my statement is please
What benefit is there to me in reading that opinion?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.