The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

How to MVP

Johnbb

PARKED
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 20, 2021
My brother and I have just got underway with a project after spending a long time considering different ideas. Our idea seems good, rates well with the grademybusinessidea model and is in an area which I am trained and have experience in.

Since it is quite a complicated SaaS app to build (could take 9-12 months to build the AI version) we are keen to test it first with less time input to test the market. I think this is a wise idea vs maybe spending 12 months building something the market may not want. We can do this relatively easily by just cutting out the AI at first and running it manually so long as we keep to a small number of users.

By doing this we can cut development time down to maybe 1 month for a very basic version which we run manually for testing purposes. This was partly inspired by reading "The Lean Startup" and understanding the idea of minimum viable product (MVP). On the other hand we don't want to make the MVP version too basic and want to include enough features to make it interesting without taking to long to make (and long time to run manually).

My question is: how basic should a MVP be? How polished does an MVP need to be (eg the app GUI in this case)? How basic is too basic for validation of the idea? Building a nice looking app can take a long time, so do you settle for a bit less than your best for this stage?

I know all these things are very difficult to quantify and the answer is somewhat, "it depends". So...how would you define MVP in a simple way?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

QPE

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Feb 25, 2019
Hey John,

I've also recently launched an MVP for my product which is a directory for some specific kind of events. My perception of the MVP is that it should contain only the strictly necessary features so that my targetted public can use it.

Of course you can do ugly UI, but of course it's not the best. What you cannot avoid is the User Experience and make it so good that they will appreciate the products with its current features.

Also I just asked AI, and the answer is the following to create an MVP:
  1. Identify and understand your target users and their problems.
  2. Define the core features that solve these problems.
  3. Build a prototype or a first iteration of these features.
  4. Test the MVP with real users.
  5. Collect and analyze feedback.
  6. Iterate and improve the product based on the feedback.
You may ask what are "core features"?
--> here is the answer: "Core features are the essential functions or capabilities of a product that solve the primary problem for which the product is being created. They are the fundamental elements that deliver the product's value proposition and meet the basic needs of the users."

Don't overcomplicate things, that's the aim of the MVP --> go to the market fast and then improve!

Johnbb

PARKED
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 20, 2021
Thanks very much for your reply QPE. I like your thinking and agree, essentially MVP means simple not shit XD. The idea in its purest, most simple form.

I like the AI response about it as well. I also try to run everything by my AI too!

realbillperry

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 6, 2024
I only recently came across the idea of MLP (Minimum Lovable Product) being "better" than MVP.

This may help decide which approach will work best for your SaaS.

circleme

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 17, 2023
how basic should a MVP be? How polished does an MVP need to be (eg the app GUI in this case)? How basic is too basic for validation of the idea? Building a nice looking app can take a long time, so do you settle for a bit less than your best for this stage?
It should, at least, solve the core problem, in my opinion.

A few months ago, I read an interesting concept from @Tau Ceti, who criticized the MVP (Minimum Viable Product) development approach and preferred to focus on an MLP (Minimum Likeable Product). An MLP emphasizes not only solving the core problem but also providing a great UI/UX.

I apply this principle to my apps as well. Of course, they need to solve the core problem, but they also need to look good and feel good. They need to be intuitive. I've spent quite some time improving my custom-coded GUIs with Vanilla CSS, which didn't look that great, and then switched to TailwindCSS, for example. I've also implemented several web heuristics.

Regarding your main point about testing quickly versus spending a lot of time developing the first MVP/beta version, it's clear that the first option with fewer features is better. I spent quite some time building a software product that ended up being a "vitamin," not a real problem solver. I could have discovered that in a month. Instead, I went the development-first route, which, in hindsight, was a mistake.

Johnbb

PARKED
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 20, 2021
Thanks very much for all your helpful replies. MLP makes a lot of sense to me to give the user a good experience despite only having the core features. We will adopt this approach.

maverick

Aspice, officio fungeris sine spe honoris ampliori
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
227%
Oct 26, 2012
MVP..MLP.. it's all mental masturbation.

Find a customer. Understand their problem. Sell them a solution. Then build it for them.

Build it and they will come does not work. I repeat. Build it and they will come does not work.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.