The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What wins did you have last week? What would make this week a win?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
W/C 15-Feb-21

Last week:
  • Not a financial win, but had a great call with the digital marketing director of a business spending €100k/mth on ads. The win is that I realised I should be talking to more people like that.
This week:
  • Get a sales page setup for a newsletter on my new website. Start directing people to it.
  • Start running ads to the sales page for the $15/mth Bootcamp.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest-5ty5s4

1. Contractors finished the remodels/repairs on the house I’m buying under market value. It’s been complex and I had to negotiate terms with the seller through my agent, and I had to find the contractors and get the work done before closing, but we made it!

2. Closing Friday on this house. I’m going to live in it for 1-2 years while I fix it up and then sell for primary residence capital gains. Big tax advantage. My realtor brought me a great off market deal and the sellers really wanted out, so I’m going to do well on this. I know people say your house isn’t an investment - normally they’re right. This is a special situation - I’m getting a house for 2/3rd of the ARV and it only needs simple repairs and cosmetic upgrades.

In other news, sales are ticking back up at my job (the business I work for that’s owned family members) and I’m hopeful. 2020 was a struggle, despite 2019 being our best year ever (50 years of business) - really hoping we can hire some of our guys back again.

Last edited by a moderator:

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Feb 14th - Feb 26th
I'm throwing in the last 2 weeks into this post. I was off work for most of that time. It's been rough...

My husband was injured on the 14th. It was simply a stupid accident. He hurt his right hand and wrist. He's gonna be OK -- we think. All his fingers and his wrist are working. He's lost some of the feelings in his hand. For a guy who works with his hands and builds stuff, it was very scary. He has to have a lot of daily wound care and doctor's visits.

One of our tenants, who was only 54 years, died this last week. He had emergency surgery a couple of weeks ago. Then he developed a terrible infection and had to be airlifted to Anchorage. I ended up taking his wife to Anchorage to be at his bedside. The roads were pretty icy, but we made it there to be with him. He died Monday night. I'm glad I was able to help.

The work on our current rehab job went on while I was tending to these issues. They built the lower kitchen cabinets, installed the new bathtub, installed trim & caulked for the paneling. I was able to buy paint on sale this week so I'll be ready when it's ready to be painted.

We got another 6" of snow this week. We now have almost 4' of snow on the ground. Before my husband's accident, he had just gotten the big snowblower that I bought last fall up and running. He had to make some major changes to the basic machine. It's working. He mounted it on one of the backhoes with a quick-release system. The guys used it yesterday and today to widen out our private road system.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Feb 27 - March 5th

Mostly we dug out, plowed, and ran the snowblower. It snowed and then it snowed some more. Then it got cold. And now it's snowing again.

IMG_1809.JPG

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Twitter win this week:

Created a pinned tweet related to Google Ads.

A bigger account I was following mentioned how the Google Ads interface sucked. I replied and went about my day.

Someone who knows me from the forum replied to me saying something like “AAY! It’s andy Black from FLF!”.

Ended the day with 20 new followers.

Roughneck

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 14, 2018
The last few weeks have been a blur.

Wins last week:
* Settled on our property. We weren't even on the market, had people approach us 3 weeks ago. Long story short, they paid 100k over market value to secure the property. We owner built, poured blood, sweet and tears into it. Sad to see it come to an end

* We secured land (to be registered next year) for 790k. Found out on Friday that their most recent blocks 1/3 smaller sold for 825k. (Only 2 weeks later. Market here is ridiculously hot).

* Passed 40 customers on my website!

Wins for next week:
* Hit 50 sales
* Secure purchase for more goods
* Find somewhere to move the family!

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
March 6 - 12th

More snow this last week...

Last weekend +5"
Tuesday +2"
Wednesday +12"

That's more than a foot and a half on top of the snow we have on the ground. We're drowning in about 4.5' of snow. Again, we shoved, plowed, and ran the snowblower. We call it the "spring dump". As it gets warmer, some years it snows and snows. We now have piles that reach the eves on some of our buildings. I sure am ready to see spring green coming from under all those piles of snow.

Business-wise I got a lot done:
2020 is closed out and the figures are off to my CPA.
I did a lot of bookkeeping and turned in some important paperwork on several issues
We finally found a replacement axle for our plow truck today -- it was a difficult find. The supply lines aren't working well right now.
At the rehab -- we got a bunch of cabinets & doors built for the kitchen:
we got the new furnace set & ready to hook up:
we fabricated & installed a bunch of trim for paneling on the walls and ceilings:

Next week will be a win for me in business IF:

At the rehab -- we set the on-demand water heater
Note -- We must have the furnace & the water heater set and ready to turn on, so we can hook up the natural gas service and have heat in the building. And that requires an air pressure test going on the gas lines when the man shows up to hook up the service.

I'm looking forward to starting to get the building ready to paint. We must have heat in order to tape off the interior and paint it. The walls must be dry and at least 50 degrees for the paint to cure.

This picture is of two sides of our Laundromat. I took these pictures earlier this week for my insurance agent.

IMG_1815.JPGIMG_1820.JPG

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
March 13 -20

Only about 3" of new snow this week - still cold and windy; it did snow some today; it's gotten down below 0 F most nights; 4-5 feet of snow on the ground plus some huge drifts

the rehab project -- started to finish the rough plumping; finished the kitchen cabinet doors -- kitchen cabinets are completed; starting a punch list to do the finishing work

rentals -- 100% rented up; 1 tenant gave their notice to move mid-April

Making a plan to "spring clean" the woodshop; will start next week; planning to make exterior frame kits for windows at the rentals (as needed) when spring breaks -- can start priming and painting the boards in the meantime; also planning to make replacement screens for missing window screens -- will use the stained glass table to assemble them.

Doing planning for summer projects -- ordered a case of saw blades for the sawmill -- 2 or 3 semi-trucks of logs are ordered for spring -- to build shed roofs, replace skirtings, and build carports -- deciding where we'll start

The small community water system went down Friday morning -- replaced the pressure valve that controls the whole system in the pump house -- up and going again within an hour of the outage

Started research to seek out trust deeds to purchase for investments; My bookkeeping is caught up enough to have the time to start doing my research again.

TODAY -- had two major power outages -- our whole town was out; 4.5+ hours from 8 AM until about 1 PM; again .5 hours later in the afternoon; had to restart several furnaces that didn't reset for the tenants; couldn't open the Laundromat or my office until the power was restored

Win next week?

rehab -- finish the rough plumbing so we can install the on-demand water heater -- moving toward turning on the natural gas so we'll have heat -- and paint the interior

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
March 21 - March 27
A couple more inches of snow this last week -- BUT it melting at least a little bit... We have heaps and piles, BUT spring is on its way... It's right around the corner... We've been out snowshoeing and making some trails through our woods...

WINS this last week
I was totally busy this week setting up another run at my business to purchase privately held trust deeds. I set up a new prospect database in Excel. And I started mining my old database to get ready to contact the people again. I smile every time I work on it.

We're making progress on the current rehab project. The electrical system is completed. The rough plumbing for the water supply system is completed, which includes wrapping the pipes and installing heat tape to keep them from freezing. Now we're working on the wastewater system. The natural gas pipes are completed. Soon, we'll be setting the on-demand water heater. In order to get service, we must have both the furnace and the water heater ready to fire up. And we must have a gas pipe pressure test in process. Then the utility company can then get the gas meter set and turn on our service. OK. I'll say it. Having heat is really important in our climate.

I have 2 tenants who are moving in April. Both mobile homes are 3 bedroom units, so they should be easy to rent. And we had completed extensive work on both units before the current tenants moved into them. I am hopeful that the work we must do to get them ready to rent again is minimal.

I'm up to date on my bookkeeping. Yeah!

WINS next week
TD business -- start making contacts with the targeted prospects
Rehab project -- make progress to get the natural gas turned on
Rentals -- collect the monthly rents

DONTRAY

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Aug 8, 2019
Pennsylvania
I failed my driving exam for the second time — no license for me. I have one more chance. Three chances then it’s back to the first process. I want to be able to purchase a van or truck to haul equipment for the businesses I have in mind. ARGH!

Yesterday I passed my exam. I failed three times, but passed the fourth time. I was always optimistic after each failure. I’m going to get some money together to purchase a vehicle. Once I get a car I can start some of the business ideas I had in mind.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Yesterday I passed my exam. I failed three times, but passed the fourth time. I was always optimistic after each failure. I’m going to get some money together to purchase a vehicle. Once I get a car I can start some of the business ideas I had in mind.
Make sure that you have the $ for the car insurance and any emergency repairs as part of getting wheels. Congrats!

Djioul

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 12, 2021
France
It's not really during last week but last few weeks.

My wife and I started a small business, selling hand-made jewels she makes out of semi precious stones. Not a CENTS business at all but a very good training for the CENTS one we will launch in September.

What we achieved during the last 3 weeks:
- created logo (by myself) & Facebook page (we worked together on identity, communications...)
- achieved around 500 € turnover in 3 weeks (without paying anything in Ads, just relying on Facebook network)
- made all the paperwork for giving an official status to the company (now waiting for the reply... ; we started before getting the feedback as it can take weeks... :bored:)
- got great feedbacks on service and quality
- developing network of suppliers and partnerships

The next steps will be done when we receive the feedback from the french state and our official "company number"
- opening of an Etsy page to sell her creations (which is the most used marketplace for this kind of product)

These achievements are not so big but it is showing us that we can also do things we would not really expect us to do. That's very good for the future things to come !

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Awesome accountability thread @Andy Black

Last week:

I created a Glide Portfolio of all my projects and Resume, that would serve as my landing page and where I'm going to be redirecting everyone that needs my consulting services.

I've shared this with a few friends and family and I'm looking to get a couple of clients that need a Glide App from my Portfolio App Lead Gen.

I have 2 solid leads. Potential ($250)

I plan to use the proceeds to fund a marketing campaign to generate more leads and increase my Income (I have a rule that every new business idea I have must fund itself from new clients, this way I don't use one business to fund the other and suffocate the existing one that's doing well, and it also makes me more creative)

Wins for this Week:

• Get 20 leads and 2 Clients for Glide Apps (shoorting for a 10% conversion rate from leads generated)
  • Reach out to some credible NGO's that might need an app pro-bono and use them to increase my portfolio.
  • Get my portfolio to have 10 apps, I'm currently at 6 apps developed so far.
  • Keep spreading the word about this new venture I'm excited about.

tylerwilkinson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Sep 25, 2019
Rhode Island
Win:
1. I talked to my state offices and it seems (distrust, verify, stay suspicious) that my business “plan” is doable in my state!
2. Reached out to several producers and five actually talked to me and gave me info. This is a big deal because I am not licensed for their products yet.
3. actually came up with a couple logo ideas for the splash page

This weeks win?
1. Throw up a splash page to gather emails and send people to when I talk to them.
2. One of my friends is going to be a guinea pig. He doesn’t know it yet. He reached out to me for advice on what I’m selling, but doesn’t know about my business (yet). So he will be getting a (completely casual and legal) sample experience! Hopefully the feedback is good

Chris FD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Dec 5, 2020
Pasadena, California
What wins did you have last week?
- Seeing the light after a personal loss
- Hitting a new level with my fitness through finding the right coach
- Reading "Personality Isn't Permanent" probably the best book I'll read all year. Highly recommend.

What would make this week a win?
- Create my timeline for my web course
- Find where/how to record my course
- Choose platform for posting (Udemy, Teachable, Thinkific, etc.) (<----could use your help if you're reading this)

Redwolf

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
196%
May 6, 2018
Southern California
Wins:
  • Latest P&L shows my photography business did record profit last year, by quite a bit - and that's with no events for 6 weeks during my busiest part of the year (COVID).
  • Finally listed my motorhome for sale (spent several hours a day for a week getting it ready, ugh)
Potential win this week:
Minor medial procedure on Thursday, hoping to help nasal breathability issues.

Kelly!

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Apr 1, 2021
Week Commencing Mon 07-Dec-20
-Hired 6 new employees.
-Promoted 2 current employees to managerial roles, which pays them more and frees up more of my time so that I can continue to grow my agency.
-Got a venue to use for FREE for training my new staff.
-Purchased another investment property.
-Helped a client save her dogs life.

Life is good!!! :smile:

Supersamosa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
233%
May 28, 2019
Week Commencing Mon 07-Dec-20

Promised myself I could only a be a lurker on this forum until my idea had been birthed... Launched a recruitment website platform (I spent 3.5 months building every night) - got my first sign up and nearly passed out from happiness yesterday afternoon!!!

I finally feel like I've earned the right to comment on these kind of posts now : )

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Choose platform for posting (Udemy, Teachable, Thinkific, etc.) (<----could use your help if you're reading this)
Udemy is more of a marketplace. Teachable and Thinkific are platforms you pay monthly to host your courses. There’s so many. Also check out Gumroad.

If you want a community as part of it then check out circle.so, Mighty Networks, lu.ma, launchpass.com, etc.

Start simple? Emails linking to unlisted videos on YouTube? A Facebook group, Slack/Discord channel?

Dami-B

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
251%
Jan 25, 2015
Lagos, Nigeria
Awesome accountability thread @Andy Black

Last week:

I created a Glide Portfolio of all my projects and Resume, that would serve as my landing page and where I'm going to be redirecting everyone that needs my consulting services.

I've shared this with a few friends and family and I'm looking to get a couple of clients that need a Glide App from my Portfolio App Lead Gen.

I have 2 solid leads. Potential ($250)

I plan to use the proceeds to fund a marketing campaign to generate more leads and increase my Income (I have a rule that every new business idea I have must fund itself from new clients, this way I don't use one business to fund the other and suffocate the existing one that's doing well, and it also makes me more creative)

Wins for this Week:

• Get 20 leads and 2 Clients for Glide Apps (shoorting for a 10% conversion rate from leads generated)
  • Reach out to some credible NGO's that might need an app pro-bono and use them to increase my portfolio.
  • Get my portfolio to have 10 apps, I'm currently at 6 apps developed so far.
  • Keep spreading the word about this new venture I'm excited about.
Last week:

Got my app list to 9 apps and in loving it

Got my first client for this nice app building business, and another who prepaid.

Close friend of mine is back on her feet after few weeks in the hospital

Signed up a new client for my DM business.

Made my girl smile today.

*Wins for next week*

Get my portfolio to 12 apps.

Get 20 new leads in for the app business.

Help more friends who need ideas on how to promote themselves online.

Create a YouTube video on apps.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
got my first sign up and nearly passed out from happiness yesterday afternoon!!!
Woohoo! One in a row!

Well done. That first one is so motivating.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Another week of wins... March 25 - May 1st, 2021

We've had the heat working in our RE rehab project for this last week. The natural gas is now on -- the furnace is up and working. That means that we were able to turn on the water and install the toilets. We've just about finished all the caulking on the interior -- and most of it is primed. Soon the ground will thaw. Then we'll be able to start pouring the concrete for the new shed-roof and the carport supports. It's going to be another good rental when we finish it.
(Here in Alaska, we're into our spring now, but it's a slow process of thaws and freezes. We had 3" new inches of snowfall on Friday morning, but it was melted off of our roads by that evening. We still have many piles of snow that need to melt off.)

I'm working on my side gig -- my trust deed business. I usually prospect from January 15 through March -- the nadir of the winter (when everyone gets their Christmas and tax bills)... This year, I was head shy about doing more investing due to the pandemic. I'm not ready to further that business. Also, I unexpectedly was paid off for one this last week. I need to get those funds working again.

I had two tenants who moved out during mid-April and I had two new tenants who moved into those units this week. We turned those units around within a couple of days after they became vacant. I'm all rented up and I have a waiting list.

My little, self-service Laundromat went to summer hours today. It's open until 10 PM each night until October 1st.

I helped two people this week in major ways. One lady is a disabled vet, who just had a heart attack, which she barely survived. She was in ICU for a week during April. I helped her get her paperwork together for her public housing allowance and got it renewed for this coming year. Without my help, she would have lost her housing assistance. Thursday I took another disabled senior up to Anchorage. That's a trip that takes 4 hours one way -- so it took a day of my life to help her. She had broken her dentures and she couldn't get them repaired locally. Her teeth are repaired so she can eat, and we got home safely.

Wins for next week?

Get the rehab project painted out on the interior, so we can start getting the floor ready for floor coverings.

Start making kits for exterior window frames for windows that we have replaced.

Make more progress on my trust deed business research for prospecting.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
Last week:-
  • fairly proficient in html and css. Still have to google some things to solve some complicated stuff. But otherwise, I feel confident in those two.
  • It actually feels better to know SOMETHING about web design rather than nothing.
This week:-
  • Polishing my skills in CSS this week.
  • Make a portfolio site using just CSS and HTML.
  • Get started with Javascript by next week.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
This last week wins May 2 – 8

The rehab – it’s almost painted on the interior – one coat of primer and two coats of the color coat. It’s a lot of space to paint – 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. It will take a few more days to finish it up. The subflooring is patched, floated, and painted. I must call on Monday to see if the vinyl floor coverings have come in. Laying the flooring is our next step after painting. The hinges for all of the cabinets are ordered and should be delivered soon.

I’ve made a lot of progress on my trust deed business this week. I’ve set up a new database for my prospects in an Excel Spreadsheet. A friend came and tweaked it into a table. Her formatting has made it a lot more usable. I’ve updated the info from my old database and transferred the prospects that are still viable into the new one. I have an assistant working through the initial screening of the state property records to add to my database. Her work will save me many hours. It will still take a lot of research on my part, but I have a better jumping-off point. I feel encouraged that no one can hire a virtual assistant to do the research work so they can enter this business sector. My research work and expertise are still needed to make it work. I started contacting people this week. I’m simply looking to find my next deal.

I’m fully rented up. And I have a waiting list for my rentals.

For my good act of the week: I took a disabled tenant to town in my pickup truck to buy her monthly groceries. She had two teenage sons and a foster teenager living with her. She’s not allowed to drive since she has seizures. Her boys sure do eat a lot!

Next week:

I want to finish the paint job in the rehab. I hope the floor covering comes in at the flooring store.

I want to continue working on the trust deed business research to increase my database of prospects.​

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I was on vacation last week. BUT, I worked on an idea...
I'm going back to a full Plan A. I'm going to start chasing down a certain profile of RE foreclosure sales. (There's going to be a bunch of them when the lenders are allowed to foreclose again.) I did this as part of my RE career, starting about 45 years ago. I can't believe that my life has gone full circle and I'm back to the RE basics -- residential rentals, trust deeds, and now foreclosures. I've been working through the research since we got home from our trip. It's like riding a bicycle -- I just easily fell back into the groove. I know what information I need to find in order to make good decisions.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Last week:
  • Signed up a small local services client - a book-keeper in Dublin. Looking forward to starting the campaigns. May need to create a landing page for them, which would be good as we’re working on a landing page / popup creator.
  • Got fed up following fortune cookie accounts on Twitter and decided to unfollow them.
  • Started some Twitter Ads and got some promising results.
This week:
  • Onboard the new small client.
  • Signup another small client. (I’m deliberately picking up small clients as I want to see if we can offer Google Ads funnels to them rather than “just” the Google Ads service.)
  • Get some “proper” Twitter Ads running rather than just putting spend behind tweets on my timeline.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.