The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What was your "Holy Sh*t" moment?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Mj, that makes perfect sense. I hope one day I'll reach even half of your success.

I like asking the questions and hearing from you guys as opposed to talking about nothing, so here is another one for anyone to answer.

Do you think envisioning yourself achieving your dream really helps? Obviously working your a$$ off, sleepless nights, taking risks and being smart. But I've always wondered about envisioning it, if it really helps.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
Envisioning success will only help you keep doing those sleepless night, working your a$$ off, by only the dim light of your monitor.

So yes and no?

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
6 figure interest payment per month.

LOL, not sure if you've checked but interest rates have been in the shitter for about 7 years so a monthly 6 figure interest payment would require a net worth that far exceeds mine.

Do you think envisioning yourself achieving your dream really helps?

Sure, but it's only a small part of the entire equation. Ultimately, the work needs to be done, despite you telling yourself it can't be done.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
Haha I haven't checked because I don't even have a small amount that would garner anything. I just vaguely remember you mentioning it in your book. My point was, overall, that there are quite a few ways to passively earn income once you cash out with a wealth event. I've actually spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how all of that would work out. I'm solidly slowlane right now and just now getting a good fastlane vehicle going, so I'm left to wonder, if this business does end up successful and I can cash out for even just a couple million dollars, how am I going to retire on that? I would absolutely have to have something set up so I had $$ coming in per month to feed a lifestyle. I've read plenty of posts around here that talk about determining how much your ideal lifestyle costs and then building up to earning that much. Maybe if I cashed out with 100M or something it would be a lot more fathomable, but I know a LOT of ways to blow money really fast that I'd probably want to spend on.

Just a few roadblocks that I'll have to break down once my vehicle starts speeding.

mowealth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Feb 18, 2014
World Traveler
My first holy shit moment was when a multi-millionaire wanted me to manufacture some wire rods (my business) for his company. After the job was done, he simply asked me how much the total was, which was $50,000 but the guy gave me about $65,000 (the biggest amount I received, in cash) because he liked the speed and quality provided. This gave me so much hope and proved that I could go far with the business. He then wanted me to continue producing more rods for him. We now have a deal were we deliver at least 6 rods per week just for his company.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I've had many. Some are good - some are "oh shits" in the other direction.

- Attending my great grandfather's funeral as a child. The church was completely full, and everyone came up and shook my hand and told me what a great person my great grandfather was. I was too young to understand, but as I got older I learned that he had gone from sweeping the floors of a warehouse in Manchester, NH to starting a little grocery store, which ended up becoming one of the first super market chains in the Northeast. I also learned that he would personally pay for the college education of his loyal employees' children. He owned a Yankee's farm team in Richmond (the Virginians) and desegregated the stadium in the early 60's - no small measure in the capital of the South! He showed me retrospectively the impact that a 5'4" man with a funny French Canadian name could have on an entire city...so much so that people he impacted decades earlier felt compelled to shake my 7-year-old hand at his funeral. (unfortunately his fortune never made it down to my level in the family, for a variety of reasons)

-Working at an airport as a line guy (e.g. the guy with the sticks who waives the private planes in, refuels them, moves them around, etc.). It was a minimum wage job. I took it because the EMS agency I was working for in college was threatening layoffs, so I decided to get another part time job as a hedge. I was freezing my a$$ off at 0530 waiving this private jet in to it's parking spot. I see there is a pilot in the front, and what looks like a really hot girl. I park the plane, the engine shuts off, and the door opens. Numerous men with gorgeous women bound off the plane, including the pilot who has a barely-dressed girl literally on his back. Everyone except for the pilot is clearly intoxicated, and all are talking about the amazing time they just had in Vegas. Here i was, some line jerk freezing his a$$ off at his minimum wage job while these people were having the times of their lives. I learned that this was a common occurrence, that the owner was a local business owner, and that they had gone out to Vegas from Richmond VA just to party for the day/night. I knew I wanted to live like that - not like how I was living. The icing on the cake was when, later in the day, I was told that I would be getting a cleaning fee for my uniform taken out of my check, and that I was not allowed to take my uniforms home and wash them. I realized that I was being forced to rent my clothes and pay for it out of my minimum wage check. I quit on the spot.

-Numerous EMS calls, including where people died at their work, or retired only to die a week later. It just seemed so wrong and sad, especially when they were clearly poor. Also, people in nursing homes, languishing away for decades because they had a stroke or severe diabetes. I learned you don't die the way you think, and that you could very easily work your a$$ off at your middle class job, only to get a stroke, and go right a shitty medicare-paid nursing home to wither away.

-Watching my friend take one of my accounts from a failed ecommerce business, and within a year turn it into a $100,000 year business simply by selling it on amazon - costing him an hour a month in time. All why I'm struggling with trying to start any business I can think of.

-Checking my Sallie Mae account. After grad school. Enough Said.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I've had many. Some are good - some are "oh shits" in the other direction.

-Working at an airport as a line guy (e.g. the guy with the sticks who waives the private planes in, refuels them, moves them around, etc.). It was a minimum wage job. I took it because the EMS agency I was working for in college was threatening layoffs, so I decided to get another part time job as a hedge. I was freezing my a$$ off at 0530 waiving this private jet in to it's parking spot. I see there is a pilot in the front, and what looks like a really hot girl. I park the plane, the engine shuts off, and the door opens. Numerous men with gorgeous women bound off the plane, including the pilot who has a barely-dressed girl literally on his back. Everyone except for the pilot is clearly intoxicated, and all are talking about the amazing time they just had in Vegas. Here i was, some line jerk freezing his a$$ off at his minimum wage job while these people were having the times of their lives. I learned that this was a common occurrence, that the owner was a local business owner, and that they had gone out to Vegas from Richmond VA just to party for the day/night. I knew I wanted to live like that - not like how I was living. The icing on the cake was when, later in the day, I was told that I would be getting a cleaning fee for my uniform taken out of my check, and that I was not allowed to take my uniforms home and wash them. I realized that I was being forced to rent my clothes and pay for it out of my minimum wage check. I quit on the spot.

I'm a little obsessed with the film, but I read this entire thing in a Leonardo Decaprio/ Ray Liotta voice. It honestly seems like something out of a film.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
You guys know I do stuff online, and while this may be insignificant to some, to me it seemed like a sign to say "KEEP GOING".

JayLeno'sGarage, and Break.com added me to their circles on Google, when out of their millions of viewers, they only had about 400 people in their circles. It never lead to anything, but made me feel good.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
Mine was when I was traveling half a year across the world and was still making money while free diving in the Philippines. It felt so good having a business that is not bound to time.
Also, my second one was when I first hired someone to work for me.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
I have actually had 3 within the past week.

1. While taking my wife to an animal refuge that she had been wanting to go to for years I had my biggest sales day ever. It was a first $100+ day! and I was out enjoying life.

2. While on my way to work this morning I was stuck in traffic for an hour. In this time I made 2 sales. Granted that I only made a profit of around $6 on each on it is the idea that my profit was separate from my time.

3. Just over one week ago I was thinking about changing businesses as my current one wasn't moving at all. One week later I have a retail agreement and cannot keep product in stock. It is amazing how things go if you just concentrate on one thing.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.