The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What was your "Holy Sh*t" moment?

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
To those of you who consider yourself successful, when did it really hit you that you had accomplished your goal. When did that moment that you imagined all along, years in advance, finally become a reality.

Did you realize you'd accomplished your vision right when it happened, or did you need to look back to truly see your progress?

For instance, I've asked people this before but I have a hard time getting an answer.

Just as an example. - After all of your years of hard work, you check your paypal/bank account, and see a HUGE sum of money in it.

Is it shocking and surreal, or is it not really that shocking since you've slowly adjusted to this moment, and it didn't just hit you all at once?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
Yeah, my holy shit moment happened a few times over a few months.
Your level of progress becomes a consistant and you genuinely are really impressed with results, and they continue. And you realise looking back that what you have done has lead you to where you are.

More into the nitty gritty though, I have found that the difference in my work is that it has "star quality" and really "hits". I am also creative in the way where I know a problem and I bring the solution to me, and in a moment of understanding I say the words. We need to xyz, and this is how we will achieve it (and then just manifest the idea).

I also feel "there is no way this can't succeed" which comes from seeing the limitations of others are similar to your own and the pace of your work matches theirs. Earlier on you are always behind speed wise and you do have to catch up.

You are more relaxed and calm and "no worries" with people because you are looking for good energy not answers, because it fuels your process allowing you to think on your feet.

These things come on their own first, and then you stop counting, and your biz starts catching flight, and it "demands" more attention and to be used. You become present with the biz most of the time, and it has this energy that kind of feeds back into you. And with that new energy you know without any doubts that you are properly managing the biz.

Looking back, one moment I was staring at desolation, eating a diet of fear and facing it, and then months later the same guy is just kickin #ss. You just point at what you are going to do and shoot. You see the world different too, because its obvious that most people can't do what you now can, so you slow down and listen more and ask for less.
Like, I ofen ask how I can help certain people out, rather than "my biz my biz my biz".

And overall you just feel better about things because you have moves.

Last edited:

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
Woah man, great reply! Thank you for such an in depth response.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
I knew in a snap that the time was at hand.

But, my path and plan is much different than most people on this forum.

T14

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Sep 16, 2013
I knew in a snap that the time was at hand.

But, my path and plan is much different than most people on this forum.

SteveO, if it's something you wouldn't mind sharing, could you explain this? A someone who's getting started in real estate investing, I always look forward to reading about your perspective on things.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
SteveO, if it's something you wouldn't mind sharing, could you explain this? A someone who's getting started in real estate investing, I always look forward to reading about your perspective on things.

I had worked my portfolio up to 42 apartment units over a period of 3 years. I looked at my budget to evaluate if I sold my house in CA and moved to AZ, what would I need to live on. I looked at the money that I could get from my retirement fund if I quit. All I needed to do was find a property that would give me the cashflow that I needed to fill the gap. I found a 21 unit in Palm Springs that had a seller carryback. It came to just the amount that I needed. Snap...

I got the property in contract and quit my job.

Unfortunately for the seller, he passed away the day before escrow was to close. His widow sold me (and a few partners) the other 20 units he had in the neighborhood. I fixed those up for quick-flips.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
483%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
I got the property in contract and quit my job.
Unfortunately for the seller, he passed away the day before escrow was to close. His widow sold me (and a few partners) the other 20 units he had in the neighborhood. I fixed those up for quick-flips.

Leap, and the net shall appear.

Good going man.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
From: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...cony-and-quit-my-job.49257/page-3#post-328645

So I just had to share this...sort of a personal achievement thing.
Fast forward 3-4 years ago, I was working a job, and I had a vision of how I wanted my life to be. Well, a slice of that vision came through yesterday.

So, I wake up late yesterday (yes, we put in work on weekends), because we were out the night before, and brought home some company. We switch bars, and there's a line, so I'm like..F*ck this, and gave the bouncer some cash to skip the line. Long story short, we convince the golf club driver to drive us the extra distance to our apartment.

So, I wake up, and I tell the girl I had brought home, shit, stay here, I have to check my ads (she probably had no clue what I was talking about). Check ads, ok cool, still making money, go back to my room. I open the door, and she's half naked, in skimpy underwear, looking out my patio window. I didn't realize how nice of an a$$ she had. I just smiled.

I smiled because I had envisioned something like this 4 years before. I wanted to be in a place where I could make money, without being completely dependent on my time. I literally envisioned a half naked girl looking out my patio window four years before, and being able to stay in bed a little extra longer without worrying about it. Only instead of our 3rd story pool view, in my vision it was the ocean. I'm like holy shit, a sliver of my dream is coming true.

So we go to breakfast, I drop her off, and come back and hang out with @TheTruth at the pool and talk to the girls down there for a bit. Come back, and realized I was still making money, even though I had not worked on my business all day. It hit me, I was starting to live my dream.

After you have just a taste of this sort of life, you can't go back to a job.

Last edited by a moderator:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
When did that moment that you imagined all along, years in advance, finally become a reality.

I bought my first Lamborghini in Scottsdale.

The first drive was taking it back home and it was about 45 minutes.

I remember thinking the whole way, "holy f*ck!" I did it!

Everytime I looked in my garage and saw the Titanium Diablo sitting there, right next to the Viper) I experienced the holy shit moment again.

Diablo 003.jpg

It really has been like that with all my car purchases (Vettes, Vipers, Lambos) but the Diablo really took that "holy shit" feeling to the next level.

My last "holy shit" moment just happened about 1 hour ago -- I just wired 7 figures to my title company to pay for a house. The holy shit is the wonderful feeling in knowing that I will never, EVER AGAIN, need to hold a mortgage and deal with a bank.

I don't want to imply that the "holy shit" moments are due to material items or *things*. It really isn't. It's about the CHOICE. It's about the FREEDOM to do so. And that freedom has provided a steady-flow of "holy-shits" that continue daily, as a way of life.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012

Everytime I looked in my garage and saw the Titanium Diablo sitting there, right next to the Viper) I experienced the holy shit moment again.

View attachment 7060

It really has been like that with all my car purchases (Vettes, Vipers, Lambos) but the Diablo really took that "holy shit" feeling to the next level.

My last "holy shit" moment just happened about 1 hour ago -- I just wired 7 figures to my title company to pay for a house. The holy shit is the wonderful feeling in knowing that I will never, EVER AGAIN, need to hold a mortgage and deal with a bank.

I don't want to imply that the "holy shit" moments are due to material items or *things*. It really isn't. It's about the CHOICE. It's about the FREEDOM to do so. And that freedom has provided a steady-flow of "holy-shits" that continue daily, as a way of life.

That must be awesome. It's comforting to know that it doesn't just burn out, it's not a one time deal. And even if it does burn out, it just propels you to want to reach the next level to get to your next moment.

Out of curiosity, have you settled down after your Limo venture, or are you even more into creating things now than you were before?

Edit: Oh and, make some more youtube videos !

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
have you settled down after your Limo venture, or are you even more into creating things now than you were before?
Edit: Oh and, make some more youtube videos !

I still consider myself retired. The book and this forum are retirement activities. Writing is a retirement activity. As for YouTube videos, I will probably start doing those again as I get closer to releasing my next book. In the least year I've spent most of my energy on trying to find a house that doesn't have something catastrophic wrong with it.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
749%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Nice MJ. Always liked the Diablo way better with that wing. I don't know why so many came without it.

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
I still consider myself retired. The book and this forum are retirement activities. Writing is a retirement activity. As for YouTube videos, I will probably start doing those again as I get closer to releasing my next book. In the least year I've spent most of my energy on trying to find a house that doesn't have something catastrophic wrong with it.

Once you "make it", so to speak, is it like you no longer want to go out and make more money because you've done it and now you see what the big deal is, or has it turned into an addiction?

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
483%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling

MisterBHZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Dec 10, 2013
Memphis, TN
Holy shit moments happen quite often for me. Every time people bring me wads of cash for my services, it's one of those moments.

Just this morning, one of my repeat clients brought me $2200 for a job. When I got off the phone with him, "holy shit" is what I said.

I haven't had the chance to hop in Lambos & Ferraris yet but it's coming. The fact that I have been able to live well from my entrepreneurial creations is a daily holy crap moment.

marklov

It is a Tiger That Devours Me but I am The Tiger
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Mar 30, 2014
My first legit holy shit moment was when I discovered Copy writing...but I almost holy shit-ed my pants on my first sky dive:embarrased:
When I start making money doing what I enjoy then the "holy shit moments" will come rolling in troves I bet:smuggy:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Well, I am far from successful, so my holy shit moment isn't THE holy shit moment, but it was a pretty memorable moment for sure!

1 year ago I set a goal that I wanted to have "x" amount of dollars in my investment portfolio by this Summer (Summer of 2014), the money is being used to fund my franchising business ventures, so I needed to have this money in order to move forward and be on schedule with my goals. About a month ago, I was talking about my investments with my dad, and I came to the realization that I not only met my goal, but I more than doubled it. I look at my portfolio everyday, so I was well aware of how much I had, it just didn't really click that I not only met my goal but I surpassed it. That was an awesome holy shit moment. The first of many I hope!:D

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
when i opened this thread, actually this was a test post il give my serious answer in a sec

edit: Thinking and reading through this thread i realize i have none

Last edited:

Fastlane Fire

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 18, 2013
San Diego
Today. I had taken a risk and bought some items. They're selling and I made just today as much as a day at my old job. I realized "I can do this"

Truthfully I didn't work that hard for it. Just took a risk. Hell, I even took a nap simply because I was tired. It was beautiful. Now living the lifestyle I've fantasized about, picking up that car in my avatar... That will truly be my holy shit moment.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
To those of you who consider yourself successful, when did it really hit you that you had accomplished your goal. When did that moment that you imagined all along, years in advance, finally become a reality.

The odd thing is that I never feel that I've accomplished my goal. I had milestones, but I always have goals that keep scaling. I don't know if that's good or not, but that's how I feel.

Did you realize you'd accomplished your vision right when it happened, or did you need to look back to truly see your progress?

For instance, I've asked people this before but I have a hard time getting an answer.

Just as an example. - After all of your years of hard work, you check your paypal/bank account, and see a HUGE sum of money in it.

Is it shocking and surreal, or is it not really that shocking since you've slowly adjusted to this moment, and it didn't just hit you all at once?

Sometimes I look back and wonder where all it came from and honestly, it becomes difficult to remember specifics. I remember broad strokes and decisions.

Shock comes from the brain trying to adapt to a new reality. However, the brain adapts very quickly and wherever a person is at typically becomes a new normal. It becomes common. It's sort of like eating at a top tier restaurant. The first time is shocking. The 5th time is nice. The 10th time it doesn't even register. The brain adapts.

For example, the first time I bought a property out of country (I'm Canadian). I spent months looking over thousands of listings in Phoenix, AZ. Before I even bought one. I was more afraid. Far more conservative. This wasn't normal for my brain at the moment. But now, buying property out of country barely registers. 3 days ago I bought a detached home Memphis over the phone. We're closing next week Friday.

Your brain either percieves limits to be immovable or breakable. And that's your normal. Until your normal is broken, you'll almost never be 'shocked'.

Your question is actually a good one and there is a lot of research and debate around it. In one point of view, this phenomenon is called the hedonic treadmill which basically says that if seeing $100 is a big deal the first time, it won't be as big a deal the 5th time, and less so the 10th time.

Last edited:

Blair

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Mar 4, 2014
New Zealand
My First holy shit moment happened the other week where one of my clients (I have started to do some sidetime consulting work to help top up my income to fund a project) told me that I was too cheap and that I am worth $250 an hour to them. This blew my mind as I am 20 and still working towards my degree, yet having someone from a relatively good size company tell me this really took me by surprise and reinforced the idea in my head that I really can do whatever I put my mind to.

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
I seem to be getting there more often these days. Probably the biggest piece I picked up from TMF was the fact that this is a PROCESS not an event. I recently presented a very rough idea to a friend who works at a local hospital. He liked the concept and scheduled me a meeting with one VP at his hospitals parent company.

Getting the forwarded email from him confirming our presentation had a few additional names. I had a pretty big holy shit moment with the initial meeting but with the additional two VP's I about shit my pants. I'm sure Monday I'll have many more holy shit moments.

I guess the best part is again the process. Training my brain to be sharp as a tack to encounter and complete every problem in my path has been huge. Being a "do-er" gets those moments.

Mike

mikekob

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Oct 29, 2013
Denver, CO
Oh... Another holy shit moment even though it's relatively small, was getting an email from trip advisor about the "top 10 on water bungalow hotels". I initially disregard these as I never thought I'd be spending that kind of money on a vacation. I kept the email and said to myself it's gonna happen soon. So I guess I'm projecting moments now. Ha ha

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
Haven't had a holy shit moment yet, but that comes with getting your fastlane vehicle up and running, which I'm still in the baby steps for.

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa

View attachment 7060

I want mine to be like these!

To date, the only "oh shit" moments I've had were ideas and (I like this kind) when I've had an absolute moment of clarity, when everything I just learned made perfect sense, and I needed to implement it immediately. I'm hoping that variety leads to the kind that MJ experienced.

Wiring 7 figures is simply ridiculous, in a very good way.

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
448%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Once you "make it", so to speak, is it like you no longer want to go out and make more money because you've done it and now you see what the big deal is, or has it turned into an addiction?

Interesting question.

I've learned gratitude. Everyday I wake up and thank God for what I have. I live very comfortably and honestly, the marginal pursuit of *more* probably has more cost than the additional benefits it would bring to my life. In other words, how much more happier would I be with 3 Lambos in the driveway? As opposed to two? Probably not much.

A perfect example is the house I just bought. I came from a 4,400 square foot house and the new one is 5,500 square feet. I don't expect to be 25% happier because the house is 25% bigger. Oddly, if anything, my happiness might be at risk because a bigger house means bigger responsibilities, bigger drama, and bigger problems.

One thing I am addicted to is accomplishment , achievement, and improvement. Right now my focus is to aim those addictions into writing and my personal fitness. I sometimes think about starting another "Fastlane" business again but think the marginal benefits of doing that won't exceed the effort needed to put into it. I like the idea that I am still retired. Another thing that keeps from from pursuing something at full-tilt (Chuma mode) is this forum. I'd simply wouldn't have to the time to put into it as I do now. As the figurehead behind Fastlane, I need to be here daily, versus a cursory visit once per month.

robotunicr0n

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jan 16, 2013
You provide an priceless role as the figurehead here MJ. Along with your staff members and non-staff members that are successful fastlaners. It's one of the main reasons I didn't think twice about getting the INSIDERS subscription while I was unemployed. Also I assume you have some passive income generation, if only from having your x-million dollars in a bank account that pumps you up with some ridiculous 6 figure interest payment per month. Or at least that seems like the sensible thing to do!

Last edited:

zeroone

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Oct 15, 2013
my "holy shit" moment would probably make most of you roll over the floor and laugh but since I've been lurking this forum for quite a while now, I think it's about time I share a "bit" from my experience.

2 months after reading MJ's book, I tried hard to find a problem to solve. I knew back then that everything he said makes perfect sense so when I found it, I built my website and offered my services. Now I can earn $5 in just 10 seconds - lighting speed! At this point the only commandment that lacking is scale. Once implemented, this will earn me enough money to work on my next project. I have two sites both supplementing my income. Thank you, MJ!

To all newbies in this forum like me, do not be afraid to take action. Reading threads here will inspire you but it's not going to make your first sale. Take action sounds cliche' but it's really everything. Validate your idea.

I still have a 9-5 job. i was promoted and I didn't even thanked my boss. I've thanked MJ a couple more times than my boss. The TMF book helped me shift my slowlane mindset and I've always hated my day job since. (I actually hate this feeling and blame MJ for it). There was a time that I thought I'd punch MJ for giving me making me feel this way but... that's if I can chase him in his Lamborghini. Lol :D

D

DeletedUser10

My "OH SHIT!" moment was when I started reading the MFL. I couldn't put the book down. For me, it is all about when MJ talks about TIME. This changed my perspective on life and showed me how much time/life/money I was wasting.

I never liked standing in lines. Now, I avoid them.

I think if you realize that time is your most precious asset, it should light a fire underneath you that will help you to accomplish your goals. Do not be apologetic for your desires; that is something I had to get over.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.