The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What was your first job?

BlakeIC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 9, 2014
Not Washington
And how old were you when you got it?

My dad wants me to get a job this summer just to get experience
Which i see no problem with

and that just got me thinking about what other fastlaners did for their first job
I don't want to work at a fast food as i don't see it contributing any skills to me or at least i don't see an educational benefit

but as some say your first job is the hardest job to get, so i can't really be picky about my choices

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kate

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
May 9, 2014
NJ
15 at an assisted living home

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Hayden

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
May 4, 2014
I've never had a real job. (19 and in college now). I have a website with a few things I sell, and I've bought/sold on craigslist since I was 14 or so. Mowed lawns before that.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Stubbers

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Feb 27, 2014
Borington, Ontario
Emptying garbage bins in Glasgow, the best paid job for a 16 year old waiting to join the British army...

FionaS

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Sep 12, 2011
Anchorage, AK
Pizza Hut at 16, worked there until I went to university. Didn't think I'd learn anything going in, but that job, more than anything else, helped me with my fear of talking on the phone. I went from always handing the phone to my mom and missing calls on purpose to being able to call strangers. That was a huge step for me back then.

I also learned a lot about sales, customer service, the running of a business.

I wouldn't necessarily want to do it again at this point in my life, but I think it was a valuable experience for me.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Paperboy as a youngster.

By age 15, I was managing a doughnut shop with employees working under me that were in their late 20's.

That was also the first and only job I was ever fired from.

NicoleMarie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
May 1, 2014
Wisconsin, USA
You are right, in this economy you can't really be picky haha. That's why I ended up working in the deli at Piggly Wiggly at one point (ew hairnets). Money is money though. My VERY first job was technically babysitting at age 11 but my first official one was a cashier at Kohl's (about 18 years old). I took a year off after highschool just to work and then went to college.

What did Kohl's teach me? That you can't sell something to customers that they don't want, especially if it's a store credit card with big late fees. No one likes to have things forced on them and I despised being forced to basically "not take no for an answer." I made it my resolution to have a more passive way of selling someday that DIDN'T make me look pushy and wasn't a scam in disguise.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Hey. Paperboy is a real job. Up at 3AM, bagging papers by 3:15AM, finished by 5AM. Back in the day, you actually had to collect the money from the customer and pay the newspaper company.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Delivering newspapers at 8, started my first business at 12 as a bird breeder. Worked on payroll starting 15 as a dishwasher at a hall.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto
Hey. Paperboy is a real job. Up at 3AM, bagging papers by 3:15AM, finished by 5AM. Back in the day, you actually had to collect the money from the customer and pay the newspaper company.

LOL I actually had to do that. I had 70 houses, I never got paid until it was all collected. Had to go to the same houses multiple times a week bc they didn't have $6 on them (4 issues - every Sunday). Custom built a carriage attached to my bike to deliver...broke the pops balls in the snowy winter months Sunday mornings at 4AM to use his van to deliver. Made a whopping $50/mth to support my RC car hobby addiction back then :)

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
No shit. I did all that in Chicago and Dallas suburbs way too fking big papers. Sunday was terrible. More like self employed starter. As was baby sitting and cutting grass.

Tiago

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
162%
Mar 22, 2014
16. Helping sort SS# in Germany's Tax Office
17. Labeling and sorting through merchandise for a sports company
18. Delivering pizza
18. Watching over a building site through the night shift.

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
first jobs were baby sitting :) starting at age 10-11ish... my first paycheck job was @ 14. working at Easter Seals as a summer day camp counselor for the handicapped children. one of the best most rewarding and eye opening experience in my life. I was very lucky to have the opportunity to learn it at a young age.

after easter seals *which was seasonal I started working in fast food. I was the queen of the drive thru LOL we had one of the busiest stores around and had lines wrapping the building during rushes (that on the weekends were solid for 8+10 hours or longer!) I was the fastest/best in the store. I could get cars from order to out the window in less then the 90sec goal! those who discount fast food jobs don't. I cant even put into words how much I learned from those jobs. I cant tell you how many other jobs I got because I was trained in customer service by Mcdonalds :)

@IAmTheJeff it was the one on old Lincoln highway across from the rack room right off 95 :)

scott.legendre

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
235%
Aug 5, 2013
phone support at a call center facility, supporting dell computers back when we had to walk users through how to re-seat processors, memory, and get the user to resolve computer problems. I got chewed out at least twice a day from customers about it, and chewed out by the floor managers for calls taking too long. fun times....

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
My first job was at 18 as a Busser in a local family owned restaurant. Worked there for 5 years while going through college. My first money making experience was when I was in 3rd grade (8 or 9 years old) and I would go to the gas station and buy blowpops, jolly ranchers, airheads and now & laters for 5-10 cents and sell them at school for 25 cents. I made a couple hundred bucks before being sent to the principals office!

IAmTheJeff

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Mar 5, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
@IAmTheJeff it was the one on old Lincoln highway across from the rack room right off 95 :)

Woooooow!!! No exaggeration about how busy that store gets! You had the benefit of the automated fryers though!!!!!!

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
Lol nope it was 1991 ;) they got all kinds of new shit now. That is a test store for new ideas from corp. They did get everything first but we hand filled n dropped fries and no microwave qed system like on 413mcd system we only had clamshell grills

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk

Be water my friend
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
228%
May 17, 2014
O..'.....
My first job was also my first entrepreneurial venture, although I didn't realize it at the time. I was 12 and selling snow-cones to the neighborhood kids when everyone else was selling lemonade. The snow-cone machine was one of those hand cranked ones, it broke right after it paid for itself.

LibertyForMe

Habits pave the path to success.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Feb 5, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Mowed grass all throughout grade school.

So my first legit job is a reaaally funny story; I suppose I will share it.

I was 15. After mom nagging me to go get a job, I figured I better at least try. Instead of handing out applications to the fast food joints, I went to a strip mall type place and just started walking door-to-door talking to the business owners.

So at this point, I am pretty nervous. I was 15, and I am basically pitching myself to try and land a job. I was determined that I was going to walk into every store in the strip. Well, the first store didn't need anything so I moved on to the second.

Since I was nervous and excited all at once, I didn't even look to see what store it was. I just pulled open the door and walked in there as fast as I could before I could talk myself out of it.

The owner immediately greeted me and asked me what I needed. I began my spiel about how I was wondering if they were needing help with anything...and then I looked around.

PINK. EVERYWHERE. I had accidentally walked into a girly party store. I am talking tiaras, glitter, the whole 9 yards. This place hosted Princess themed birthday parties for little girls.

I abruptly stopped talk, gathered my composure, and said I was sorry. I turned around and started heading for the door as fast as I could. Before I could get there, I heard the owner lady say "Stop, wait a sec."

She then asked me what I was good at. So I told her I was good at photoshop, painting, stuff like that. It turns out, she was in need of someone to paint one of the themed party rooms.

I spent the next month or so painting fairies, horse drawn carriages, and magical trees. LOL.

ProblemSolver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Mar 18, 2014
Orlando
Mowed grass all throughout grade school.

So my first legit job is a reaaally funny story; I suppose I will share it.

I was 15. After mom nagging me to go get a job, I figured I better at least try. Instead of handing out applications to the fast food joints, I went to a strip mall type place and just started walking door-to-door talking to the business owners.

So at this point, I am pretty nervous. I was 15, and I am basically pitching myself to try and land a job. I was determined that I was going to walk into every store in the strip. Well, the first store didn't need anything so I moved on to the second.

Since I was nervous and excited all at once, I didn't even look to see what store it was. I just pulled open the door and walked in there as fast as I could before I could talk myself out of it.

The owner immediately greeted me and asked me what I needed. I began my spiel about how I was wondering if they were needing help with anything...and then I looked around.

PINK. EVERYWHERE. I had accidentally walked into a girly party store. I am talking tiaras, glitter, the whole 9 yards. This place hosted Princess themed birthday parties for little girls.

I abruptly stopped talk, gathered my composure, and said I was sorry. I turned around and started heading for the door as fast as I could. Before I could get there, I heard the owner lady say "Stop, wait a sec."

She then asked me what I was good at. So I told her I was good at photoshop, painting, stuff like that. It turns out, she was in need of someone to paint one of the themed party rooms.

I spent the next month or so painting fairies, horse drawn carriages, and magical trees. LOL.

And to think if you had actually looked before entering, you probably would have never got that job. You never know whats behind the door until you open it!!!

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Paper boy in grade school, horse stable cleaner in jr. high, truck yard maintenance in high school, marine corps at 17.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
First "real" job was scorekeeping/announcing games at the local ball fiends in the evenings at age 13 (parents provided transportation). At 15, I had a job at the Finish Line & could finally drive myself (at that point, you could get a restricted license in Kansas -to work/school, at 14).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.