The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What was your biggest business and life lesson in 2014?

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
In detail: I started using 80 micron (strong) poly mailing bags at $0.10 instead of bespoke retail boxes at $4.50. Customers can now tick the "bespoke retail box $2.99" option during checkout, but I found out most people don't care about a box. Also, packing's a breeze now.
Awesome, I love the context!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TedLax

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Oct 16, 2014
Business: Even offering just a little bit extra, goes a long way. You know how people will wait in line for hours for a free sub? Just offer a little bit extra time, service, upgrade in a sincere manner, and your customer will be totally floored - people don't expect companies to "take care of them" anymore.

Business/Life: "Success isn't owned, it is leased. And rent is due everyday" - JJ Watt. Bring action and value every day!

Life: Stay Humble. Be grateful for what you have. Say no to things that are not bringing you closer to your goals. And... don't worry about what other's think - it will only slow you down.

A bad day as an entrepreneur is better than a good day as an employee! (even though it sometimes won't feel like it).

Tobore

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
183%
Nov 30, 2013
Above and Beyond
wow!

2014 was a GREAT Year Indeed.

I learned so MUCH, basically mindset stuffs but here are a few "personal" lessons...
BUSINESS:
1. Never go into business for yourself (Go into business for others by helping them save more money, time etc.)
2. Answer the golden question "What's in for me" (in their shoes) before engaging with others
3. Give more value than you receive (The power of scale with multiply your returns for you).
4. You are not measured by what you know but by what you do with the knowledge
5. Doing get things done not reading 100books (This will cut down the learning curve)
6. Entrepreneurship isn't a "get-money-only" path(if you're not growing psychologically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally, you're basically getting it all wrong).
7. Entrepreneurship is the same everywhere

LIFE:
1. Less is MORE
2. Your mind is just a tool. Never listen when it tries to stop you. (Let no one stop you too)
3. A man is NOT measured by what he materially consumes but by the value he creates
4. Stay in the present (this is counter intuitive- You only exist here and now not the future or the past)
5. Going from "consumer" to "producer" is a HUGE Leap!
6. Love is the key to abundance
7. You got one shot at life. Do it BIG mate!
8. The greatest power on earth is the power to choose and to say "No". (You're always choosing!)

#KEY-POINT: Everything worth having in life takes a PROCESS (TIME+FOCUS+CONSTANT EFFORT) to happen!

No a$$ kissing - The forum, the book and the people here has helped changed the course of my life!

God bless y'all.

Hello 2015:D

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
This wasn't learned in 2014 (but a few years prior) but it has changed my world:

Business: When you find yourself pissed off at someone for something they did, you can either spend your time/energy continuing to be pissed or you can put in place a protocol to ensure that you never find yourself in the same situation that allowed someone to do that to you again. You can't control people, you can only control you & how you manage/respond to people. It's accepting your role in the situation & by taking responsibility, you set yourself up for better methods/protocols/policies.

Personal: See "business" above.
This is amazing. I needed that, thanks Red.

Zen Focus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
743%
Feb 11, 2011
Business: Building the right team of people matters. Reward valuable employees, hire the people who you'd want in your life. The value you can derive from it in return is often something that's very difficult to put a price tag on, and your business will grow.

Personal: Breathe, be in control of my reaction towards situations. Then own up to my all of my decisions, choices and actions. In either ways, it'll be worth it cause then I'll be human.

DKNJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Mar 20, 2014
New Jersey
Business: dont trust everything you hear or see. Even if its coming from a "friend." Be commited and thorough. Always look for growth. With inflation comes depreciation. Build value. Dont be afraid of the competition unless you absolutely know they can crush you. Learn from the best. Network.

Personal: give back. Dont be such a matcher. Always be willing to learn new things. Dont be too hard on yourself. Be patient.

PedroG

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Oct 1, 2013
NH
1) A market is only "saturated" if you have no USP. Don't be afraid of big markets, but make sure your product is WAY better than what is out there.

2) You may have a USP and don't realize it. Make sure you study your potential competitors. How are you better?

3) Who else is making money solving the same problem? If you can't find anyone, the problem may not be painful enough.

4) Not everything can be validated with a simple landing page. If your idea is something completely new, maybe, but if it's a better way to do something, you may need to build a basic version of the product to demonstrate (but don't take too long).

5) Be a user, if you can. Creating something to solve your own problem is extremely helpful when it comes to staying motivated and really believing in your product.

6) You may not realize it, but you may have a skill that you take for granted, that could be turned into a product for those who lack it.

7) Honestly ask yourself if you believe in your product. Do you believe your product can actually help people in a way that no other existing product can? Is the world missing out because you haven't launched your product yet? If existing products are good enough, you may want to re-think the idea.

8) Can you build something so valuable that people will be willing to pay for it even if it's ugly and buggy? This is a good way to filter out ideas that don't have a good enough USP.

9) Focus on helping! Don't sell a product. Help people improve their lives in some way.

Shdreams

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Sep 16, 2014
Ontario
I read a good chunk of this thread when I got Home from work. There's some great insight into peoples battles in this thread. I kept thinking about it for a couple hours. Trying to trigger my biggest Business and personal goals over the last year........... Nothing, Big Blanko. I've accomplished a lot this year don't get me wrong. I played a pretty major roll in building well over 200 Homes in 2014. Mostly Town homes. Probably around 1000 front doors and families dreams I created. I have JACK to show for it. I'm hoping to return to this thread in 2016 with something better. Here's the best I can come up with.

Business: Wasting my time dreaming about Lambo's on you tube And stumbling Across Some random Guy Named MJ DeMarco. I'm sure some people here already know I don't Kiss to much A$$. So That's genuine.

Personal: This year My Instincts,patience and health grew in leaps and bounds.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
This X10,000,000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I learned this the HARD way this year.

Please don't take this lesson lightly. I trust first until proven wrong, but it's extremely important to verify as the relationship grows. You don't want to find out 1 year from now that someone you are in business/friends with (or is your mentor), wasn't who they said they were.

You want to find out NOW. I now still trust, but I choose who I allow into my life and where I spend my energy very, very wisely.

Post marked GOLD because there is some GOLD! Duh!

I'm gonna disagree. A shitty product can't survive without marketing, but a good product can. But I guess that's another thread.

As the year 2014, it was a challenging year with some hard decisions. It was a good reminder that trust, but verify is a sound principle to live by, especially when it comes people on the internet. It was a good reminder that your gut is often a voice to be trusted, over your mind which prefers things neat and orderly. It was a good reminder that people generally do not change and that most people are generally good, however often times you have to decode relationships to determine if your dealing with someone who is genuine in purpose, or someone who is operating with a mask and an ulterior motive. And finally, in 2014 taught me that once and for all, the media cannot be trusted. Journalism is dead. Now excuse me while I go make $72 million trading oil futures while in high school on my lunch break, and while living with my parents.

View attachment 8910

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Business:
The ability to ask good questions is one of the most underrated skills EVER. Imagine how much faster you can propel your biz by asking for help from someone who has 10 years experience in the trenches versus you trying to learn everything on your own. The lone wolf dies when there is a famine.

Personal:
1. He who angers you, controls you. Forgiving someone is quite possibly one of the best gifts you could ever give to yourself.
2. If I could put a theme on 2014 for me, it was health. I discovered 2 awesome health hacks for more mental clarity and energy throughout the day.

Wheatgrass. @MJ DeMarco you're going to like this one. Your brain needs approximately 70Mhz of energy to operate at optimum levels. To put things in perspective, a Big Mac has about 5Mhz of energy. A shot of wheatgrass has about 70Mhz of energy. On top of that, its molecular structure looks VERY similar to our blood under a microscope which causes our body to absorb its nutrients quickly upon consumption. You'll feel almost instant energy after drinking the stuff. The only downside is the taste is kinda meh.

Chia seeds. It's a complete protein. It's low glycemix index(this means a slow and steady release of energy in your bloodstream versus an initial burst then crash). It's hydrophilic(it expands 10x its own weight when coming into contact with water inside your body, making you feel full). More omega-3's than salmon. Great for stabilizing your mood and focus.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
When you find a process that works well enough, scale it.

I can get an Amazon product up to 80% in no time flat. I spent MOST of my time in 2014 trying to get from 80% to 100% on a few products.
I should have been spending much more time getting brand new products from 0% to 80%.

rkmalo1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 14, 2012
Chicago
Business: Don't try to do everything myself. Learn the things I enjoy, hire for things I have little or no interest in.
Personal: Drop/get rid of negative and bad relationships ASAP. Don't waste so much time on these people (easier said than done).

Tommy Venable

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
Jan 12, 2015
Washington DC
Great post. Reading through these post gave me some additional ideas of what I need to do in 2015.
In simple terms...

Business: Go hardcore on one of my business ideas and stop drooling over my friends. That's what I did in 2014. Enough is enough.

Life: In 2014 I learned that I vicariously lived it through my friend in Miami. In 2015 I am changing my quality of life. That is my motto for 2015. Change My Quality of Life. Vicariously is banned!

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
Business: Uncertainty of going into business brings opportunities which you could never see if you were afraid to even start it... The answer is commitment.
Some times what you planned and thought can take a 180 degree turn to an opportunity completely different. The condition is that you have to dive into ONE thing and commit to it... Commitment is key if you want to succeed.

Life: Anger, hatred, resentment, and getting stuck in the past will keep you "stuck"... You have to make a choice of who you choose to be in relation to your struggles to become free. Freedom isn't found, it's created by our choices.

G

GuestUser156

Business: Don't kill days. Move faster. If you can do it today, get it done.

Don't be so scared, most of your fears in business are stupid.

Yesterday I had a meeting with a local cleaning company run by a big russian guy. I kept thinking to myself they wouldn't take me seriously, when they realised I was a 20-year-old kid, but I just walked in and made a deal in less than fifteen minutes. They were really nice and wanted me to help them. That's $1000 passive income per year.

Sometimes it's so easy, once you decide to just do it.

And momentum is everything. Once the ball starts rolling, you become unstoppable.
I'm off to another meeting with a bigger prospect on Thursday :).

Life: Develop good habits. They'll benefit you down the road x100.

Be nice to everyone and help out when you can, without always expecting something in return.

Make people around you feel special. It takes so little.

Be grateful for everything, that you have in this world.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Business:

Value creation isn't just about having a better product/service. We're dealing with real live human beings with real problems and feelings. Communicate with others on a personal level, give their problems real attention and consideration, and go above and beyond in your solutions and they will become more loyal than your oldest friend.

Life:

Don't waste energy on insignificant problems. Nothing is as bad as it may appear.

Journey2Million$

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jan 3, 2015
What's the most you can do? This is my philosophy from now on, something to live by every day. I heard someone say this quote, but I forgot who it was. This applies to a lot of things, such as: What's the best quality work you can do? What's the most work you can get done in a day? What's the most products you can put up for sale? What's the most marketing you can do? What are the most insanely great products you can make? What are the most stores you can have? It's all about unleashing all of your greatness, holding nothing back, and going as big as you can in the business world. If you can do this, I think you'll be a world-beater, because I think almost no one does this. I think most people make a weak effort in the things they do. A small percentage of people make a strong effort. And almost no one makes an all-out effort. I'm already seeing a big difference in the quality of work I'm doing. From now on I won't accept from myself anything less than tackling the most challenging projects and doing the most brilliant, outstanding work that i can possibly do. I'm finding a lot of gaps in the market now, because now I'm willing to do things that pretty much no one else is willing to do, because of their high difficulty level. Other people are not willing to put themselves out that much. I don't think it's really that hard. I think it's just a matter of ceasing to hold back what you can do, and forgetting any fears or reluctance. Just get in there and do it. Do the great things that up until now, you've been hesitant to do.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Every year around my late Fathers birthday I think about his words of advice he gave me:

“Son, I gave the best years of my life to some bugger else, don’t make the same mistake”.

That gave me a mindset to run my own businesses, not others. I’m starting over this year so this is my phones wallpaper:

No Action = No Results

Little Action = Little Results

Massive Action = Massive Results

Salem

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Sep 25, 2014
Spain
Business lesson: no matter what your doing, enjoy the journey
Life lesson: I always think I'm smarter than I really am. Never stop learning

People too far down the road forgot what it's like to be where you are, and people behind you often don't know how to help. The guy who just passed your mile stone 10 minutes ago will know EXACTLY how to get to the next step for you.
Awesome!

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Well, there it is: I had/have something that worked.
In detail: I started using 80 micron (strong) poly mailing bags at $0.10 instead of bespoke retail boxes at $4.50. Customers can now tick the "bespoke retail box $2.99" option during checkout, but I found out most people don't care about a box. Also, packing's a breeze now.

Did you get the bags from Amazon?

Djs87

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Apr 24, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Business: Sometimes things get overwhelming from a technical standpoint. I can do WordPress with the best of them. I can optimize for SEO like a champ. Social Media? In my sleep. I'm smart but I'm not mastering Linux in one week's time. So I hired someone. It took me two weeks and hours of questioning and I found someone who knows exactly what they're doing. Moral of the story... Don't be afraid to hire someone for the technical side of things. And take a little more time to make the right hire. Because I've made bad ones too, and let me tell you... not a fun time.

Life: Believe that you're rich and successful even if you aren't. Eventually you'll genuinely believe it and start acting like you're in command of your own future... Just don't spend money like you are!

pfalcomer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
388%
Oct 15, 2012
Durban, South Africa
Business: Always do due diligence and have everything in writing! I also made sure I over delivered on my business deals which resulted in more happy clients and consequently more business! (and more CA$h in the bank). The recurring theme in the forums of solve a problem / need first then the money will come, cannot be emphasised enough.

Personal: I trimmed the fat of the wrong people I hung out with and started spending my time with people on the same road as me or who I looked up to, made a few good mentor friends this way and we chat once a week. I also almost lost my Mom and this spurred me on to make sure financially that in the future I can always take care of myself and my loved ones. That was probably the strongest motivating factor all year. I also limited my tv to 1 hour a day, sold the ps3 and read at least 2 books a week. I upped my gym (3 times a week) and walk along the beach every morning at sunrise. All of this has resulted in a huge surge in productivity and focus.

Thanks MJ for this fantastic forum, there are so many pearls of wisdom and business gold nuggets lying around, you just have to read and apply. My life definitely changed for the better after following and applying / tweaking the golden nuggets I picked up from the forum.

Wishing you all a safe and prosperous and FASTLANE 2015!

Cyberseraph

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Apr 18, 2013
Germany
Business Lesson: A good plan executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next year.

Life Lessons:

1. Don't worry about low self esteem and how to develop more confidence. If you have become successful then you will be confident automatically.

2. Don't speak to losers about your plans before you have acomplished them. The losers will call you crazy for quitting your job and trying to build your own business. Better surround yourself with successful people and avoid losers.

3. Learn to say "No" to requests that are stealing your time. Be greedy with your time. Don't waste it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.