The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What to "Unlearn"?

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Depends.

Before I dropped out of college, I had many things to "unlearn."

Most importantly, I had to "unlearn" most of what my parents taught me.

@Ubermensch relates to @Mattie because the teenage version of @Ubermensch years ago locked himself in his room and turned the Eminem knockin' in his headphones all the way the F*ck up.

Eventually, this "unlearning" resulted in a F*ck this, F*ck this, F*ck this directed at the notion of getting a degree, just so I could make $80,000 a year for the rest of my life.

Nowadays, $80,000 is just one payday for me.

More important than "unlearning," I think, is learning.

What to learn?

Learn to give up immediate gratification (the chocolate chip cookie, ice cream, apple pie and cake) in pursuit of a higher goal: a chick-magnet body.

Learn to set small goals, instead of setting lofty, mountainous goals.

Learn sales.

Learn how to close deals.

Learn to focus on each, individual step of the process - with the same degree of attention and focus that champions (Steve Jobs, Michael Jordan, Sir Richard Branson, Usain Bolt, Elon Musk, Muhammed Ali, Bruce Lee) apply to assure victory.

Learn to recognize the difference between genuine criticism and good, old-fashioned hate. Absorb the former, even if it stings when you do (it will only make you better). Disregard the latter, because most of them are just jealous and secretly love you.

Learn to recognize the difference between practical advice... and wishy-washy, new age, politically correct bullshit.

Learn to accept the fact that truth and reality are what they are; you cannot change them. The extent to which you change the world is related to the degree to which you study reality, accept for what it is - and then therefore understand how to manipulate it.

Learn to accept the fact that the truth will often most people, because the truth hurts.

Learn to recognize logical fallacies, and how to use critical thinking to analyze empirical data. Most humans do not think correctly. This merely offers opportunity for would-be shepherds of sheeple... or wolves.

Lean the facts about where you live. Do you have any idea how old the Universe is? How about the globe... any idea how old it is? Any idea how long life has existed on this planet? Human life?

Are you okay with being stupifyingly ignorant?

If not then learn, and never stop.

Learn that success truly is the best revenge, because it makes them all look so stupid, because their words are frozen in history, because they know that you know that they know that you won, and they lost.

Learn to not bet against the wrong person. Learn to bet on the right people, to find the positive allies in life that will help you grow.

Learn to find people that you can win with, who you can feel excited about their success in the same way you are excited about your own.

Learn that their words won't hurt you once you start hittin' your account with deposit after deposit, over and over - like Mike Tyson hittin' the bag, over and over.

Learn that there are some people that you should ally with, and some that you should never start a war with, because they'll remember.

There is nothing worse than a patient enemy with a long memory.

Lol. And learn to not take life too seriously.

Learn that true life means being free and untouchable.
Great answer especially the last sentence. Thank you!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
@Ubermensch relates to @Mattie because the teenage version of @Ubermensch years ago locked himself in his room and turned the Eminem knockin' in his headphones all the way the F*ck up.
Ha ha! Hey! Don't knock it! Same here, Eminem gave me attitude, the inspiration to be a fighter, knock down all my obstacles. :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Ha ha! Hey! Don't knock it! Same here, Eminem gave me attitude, the inspiration to be a fighter, knock down all my obstacles. :)
The last seven years, I've unlearned everything there possibly is to unlearn in the conditioning of society. Perhaps rising above all the theories, the belief systems, opinions of others. The world is a kaleidoscope of cultural diversity. I remember graduating from college in 2011, I wanted to save the world. And frankly, the world needs to save itself. I can't save anyone. I understand I'm a teacher, messenger, and play my part.
My mind was limited in 2011, through the years I've expanded my horizons, educated myself further on my own. Perhaps the kaleidoscope is beautiful and ugly in its all hues.

Perfectionism is something I've learned doesn't exist. I used to think I needed to be this perfect person. It can be very nerve racking leaning on perfectionism. I've learned even if you've perfected yourself, the rest of the world will remain imperfect. As Entrepreneurs know are at a different level the than main population. Perhaps it is a key element which got me here and will take me the distance, but also has to be in balance.

What people say, may be out of lack of education, ignorance, and sometimes it's best letting it go, and not taking it personal. It's not always about you.

I remember when I graduated in 2011, my adviser stated, I know you have the potential to do great things in the world. First you have to learn to advocate for yourself, before you advocate for others. It's very true. No one will be your advocate like you. No one will look out for your best interest, but you. No one can seek out the truth for you.

The last seven years, I've read more blogs, forums, vlogs, listened to videos, and done my work. I can say 95% of the time it's all crap. And if you're lucky enough to find a forum like this one, you'll get quality information. I remember in 2015 one of my friends I met in here left the forum. I stuck around regardless. I would say this is part of becoming a true leader. Even if other's can't hack the Fastlane Forum, doesn't mean you can't.

"How bad do you want it?" The world doesn't really care whether you succeed or not. Most people don't give a rats a$$ about your dreams, project, or goals in life. They are self-absorbed, think about how you're not paying attention to them, rejecting them, get lost in their personal experiences, fears insecurities, and end up trying to self-sabotage your success in Entrepreneurship.

Either way, you're the boat. They're water skiing behind the boat. And sometimes like this year, whether they're ready or not, you have to press on the gas and drag them through the huge waves, wakes, and bumpy ride if they're not out of the matrix yet.

You can't wait for everyone in life to catch up intellectually, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, physically, or sexually. When the opportunity comes you have to take it. I believe when we're Entrepreneurs, that boat speeds very fast, and sure sometimes we do slow down, but other times we just have to keep going fast and hope others catch up with us along the way.

I see this in my son. He's at the same place as me, but other individuals are still way behind. You can never play small for other people. They're learning the same lessons, and they never learn unless you be the leader, the first ones in pioneering a new frontier. The old world is fading away whether they like it or not. Whether they're ready or not, the old rules aren't always working today. That forces us to adapt, adjust, problem solve, problem shoot, and we'll always be the Villain or Hero in someone's eyes at the same time.

The Villain for those who remain in victim mentality. The Hero for those who are ready to learn.

Bottom line stop living life for other individuals. Stop people pleasing. Stop trying to fit in. You're not meant to fit in if you're a leader.

Copy cats are everywhere. The same information repeatedly trending. Be unique and creative.

You can never avoid conflict. Never avoid facing obstacles. Never avoid change and transformation. It's just the way it is. Stop making up excuses why your wasting time, delaying progress, and creating a better future for yourself.

Trust yourself. I can't tell you how many times people projected a false belief on me, and knew nothing about Introverts.

Example: In high school I thought I was stupid because people kept telling me I was. In college a straight A Student.

Know when to listen and other times learn to shut off the stuff people say. Everything isn't worth listening to.

Ignorance keeps showing up lately. I've gone up to bat with some Millennials recently who are so sure they are authorities.
One of them got mad at me, because I've studied more. And wanted me to feel sorry for her, because she attacked me first trying to thrust her dominate personality. When I called her out on it, it's simple, when you're a Mental Toughness Coach, are you so sure you can get in someone's head, manipulate emotions, feelings. I think the woman learned, it didn't work with me.

While text books may give you information, what she lacked was experience. Never assume your opponent is at the same level. I believe I've been teaching a lot of Millennials they're degree won't get them anywhere, if they don't know how to control their emotions, thoughts, and feelings. While I know this makes them angry, it's quite the same thing I learned in Fast lane. Iron sharpening Iron.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
The last seven years, I've unlearned everything there possibly is to unlearn in the conditioning of society. Perhaps rising above all the theories, the belief systems, opinions of others. The world is a kaleidoscope of cultural diversity. I remember graduating from college in 2011, I wanted to save the world. And frankly, the world needs to save itself. I can't save anyone. I understand I'm a teacher, messenger, and play my part.
My mind was limited in 2011, through the years I've expanded my horizons, educated myself further on my own. Perhaps the kaleidoscope is beautiful and ugly in its all hues.

Perfectionism is something I've learned doesn't exist. I used to think I needed to be this perfect person. It can be very nerve racking leaning on perfectionism. I've learned even if you've perfected yourself, the rest of the world will remain imperfect. As Entrepreneurs know are at a different level the than main population. Perhaps it is a key element which got me here and will take me the distance, but also has to be in balance.

What people say, may be out of lack of education, ignorance, and sometimes it's best letting it go, and not taking it personal. It's not always about you.

I remember when I graduated in 2011, my adviser stated, I know you have the potential to do great things in the world. First you have to learn to advocate for yourself, before you advocate for others. It's very true. No one will be your advocate like you. No one will look out for your best interest, but you. No one can seek out the truth for you.

The last seven years, I've read more blogs, forums, vlogs, listened to videos, and done my work. I can say 95% of the time it's all crap. And if you're lucky enough to find a forum like this one, you'll get quality information. I remember in 2015 one of my friends I met in here left the forum. I stuck around regardless. I would say this is part of becoming a true leader. Even if other's can't hack the Fastlane Forum, doesn't mean you can't.

"How bad do you want it?" The world doesn't really care whether you succeed or not. Most people don't give a rats a$$ about your dreams, project, or goals in life. They are self-absorbed, think about how you're not paying attention to them, rejecting them, get lost in their personal experiences, fears insecurities, and end up trying to self-sabotage your success in Entrepreneurship.

Either way, you're the boat. They're water skiing behind the boat. And sometimes like this year, whether they're ready or not, you have to press on the gas and drag them through the huge waves, wakes, and bumpy ride if they're not out of the matrix yet.

You can't wait for everyone in life to catch up intellectually, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, physically, or sexually. When the opportunity comes you have to take it. I believe when we're Entrepreneurs, that boat speeds very fast, and sure sometimes we do slow down, but other times we just have to keep going fast and hope others catch up with us along the way.

I see this in my son. He's at the same place as me, but other individuals are still way behind. You can never play small for other people. They're learning the same lessons, and they never learn unless you be the leader, the first ones in pioneering a new frontier. The old world is fading away whether they like it or not. Whether they're ready or not, the old rules aren't always working today. That forces us to adapt, adjust, problem solve, problem shoot, and we'll always be the Villain or Hero in someone's eyes at the same time.

The Villain for those who remain in victim mentality. The Hero for those who are ready to learn.

Bottom line stop living life for other individuals. Stop people pleasing. Stop trying to fit in. You're not meant to fit in if you're a leader.

Copy cats are everywhere. The same information repeatedly trending. Be unique and creative.

You can never avoid conflict. Never avoid facing obstacles. Never avoid change and transformation. It's just the way it is. Stop making up excuses why your wasting time, delaying progress, and creating a better future for yourself.

Trust yourself. I can't tell you how many times people projected a false belief on me, and knew nothing about Introverts.

Example: In high school I thought I was stupid because people kept telling me I was. In college a straight A Student.

Know when to listen and other times learn to shut off the stuff people say. Everything isn't worth listening to.

Ignorance keeps showing up lately. I've gone up to bat with some Millennials recently who are so sure they are authorities.
One of them got mad at me, because I've studied more. And wanted me to feel sorry for her, because she attacked me first trying to thrust her dominate personality. When I called her out on it, it's simple, when you're a Mental Toughness Coach, are you so sure you can get in someone's head, manipulate emotions, feelings. I think the woman learned, it didn't work with me.

While text books may give you information, what she lacked was experience. Never assume your opponent is at the same level. I believe I've been teaching a lot of Millennials they're degree won't get them anywhere, if they don't know how to control their emotions, thoughts, and feelings. While I know this makes them angry, it's quite the same thing I learned in Fast lane. Iron sharpening Iron.

Very inspirational thank you very much, I have a similar story when it comes to perceptions sometimes in the past I have been perceived as "slow" or super distracted because I did not have the same background or advantages at the moment and I never stopped believing in myself+my ability to go further from the present to the future. From the last part I can rephrase is also about emotional intelligence and how engaged you are to make things work in relation to other people, failure and unexpected chaos.

Youngkody

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 10, 2017
Cornwall, Ontario
Unlearn:
Codependence
Competitiveness
Greed

Learn:
Independence
Self-Acceptance
The value of sharing

Realistically we're all so consumed by materialism and consumerism, we need to learn to break our controlling habits and learn to live free from attachment; of course that's always easier said than done.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Unlearn:
Codependence
Competitiveness
Greed

Learn:
Independence
Self-Acceptance
The value of sharing

Realistically we're all so consumed by materialism and consumerism, we need to learn to break our controlling habits and learn to live free from attachment; of course that's always easier said than done.
Very interesting answers, is it something you have managed to learn?

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
This is why I don't lift with anybody.

Them, week #1:

"Let's lift together! I'm gonna get swole bruh!!!"

Them, week #2:

"Man, I can't lift this week...gotta clip my toe nails"

You have strong willed friends! Compared to mine at least:) So far 3-4 of them asked me to join me at the gym. But 7am is too early for them, so we move it to 8am. Then in the evening they call me to ask if we can move it to 10-11. They all lasted a single day. Oh, and if there's even a little cloud in the sky, forget about jogging, don't you see the storm is coming?

Unlearn life happening to you and learn control. Every second-where did it go? Every calorie-what was it? Every cent-how did it come and where did it go?

The entire post is awesome. But just want to +1 this. We're not even aware how much money slips through our hands. You don't even have to earn more. Just by watching what you do with your current cash flow things can change more than you would believe.

I'm not even talking skimping or anything like that - just watching what you buy, and why.

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
You have strong willed friends! Compared to mine at least:) So far 3-4 of them asked me to join me at the gym. But 7am is too early for them, so we move it to 8am. Then in the evening they call me to ask if we can move it to 10-11. They all lasted a single day. Oh, and if there's even a little cloud in the sky, forget about jogging, don't you see the storm is coming?

The entire post is awesome. But just want to +1 this. We're not even aware how much money slips through our hands. You don't even have to earn more. Just by watching what you do with your current cash flow things can change more than you would believe.

I'm not even talking skimping or anything like that - just watching what you buy, and why.
One thing do related to people is if you find a group of like minded discipline people they can help you level up whatever you are trying to do, I also see it from that side of the coin.

Thats true money management can be much easier with a bit of simplicity and awareness from our side.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
"Selling" isn't tricking or forcing someone to buy.

Selling is demonstrating and/or painting a word picture of how the right people will have their desire fulfilled. (fear, pain, greed, anxiety, envy, etc.)(all are crisscrossed)

VALUE EXAMPLE:
Show someone who has indicated how they're sick of... shivering while shoveling snow... how a snowblower will be less of a pain in the butt at getting rid of the snow.

So that way others with the same issue will ask where they got it from. Then they'll look at the name of the brand on the device and find it on the internet. Or maybe a phone number/mail order address is also on the sticker.(since some $$$ demographics find the internet confusing).

And since you've helped all those folks, you can keep their info on a customer list. You can then sell them things like salt, hats, gloves, etc to help them clear their driveway while avoiding the cold and waste of time.

Every dollar and bit of process invested builds towards a potent Productocracy.

Picture someone who knows how to start a fire and can locate an abundance of really dry wood. Lighter fluid would only accelerate the impact.

Cliché & BAD EXAMPLE:
Convince/Pressure someone with too much snow to buy snow. You know... "selling ice to eskimos." Or maybe they fool someone on the brink of hypothermia to buy magic shorts that are the 4587% darn shorts ever or 300% money back!

This would result in them telling everyone not to buy from you. Soon enough you'd burn out your potential market and have to go traveling like a roaming snakeoil "doctor".

This would be a revolving-door business. Even an advertising ninja would be living hand to mouth. Doesn't matter how much they are "making". They're dousing lighter fluid on sand.

A. Rodriguez

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jan 5, 2018
Nigeria
1. What's your goal?
2. What's preventing you from having it now, already (including answers such as it'll take time and "instill have to take action")?

When you exhaust the list for #2, this awareness should be enough to begin to transcend it.
I now know what to unlearn and what actions to take. Thanks for this man.

Nemolein

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Nov 12, 2017
Brazil
Unlearn to realize that no one cares about the knowledge you have learned in this forum, reading books or in college, what it really important is use those knowledge as a tool to start your process on the fastlane. Remember that if the knowledge is not used and nor approached in real life situations, then it is forgotten. If it is forgotten, it means you have no tool to go on.
People usually forget about putting in practice the learned, while life goes by the same. when they notice that have forgotten it, then they regret and begin the same circle ... getting knowledge, motivation books, more knowledge in order to feel (although still not doing anything ) a power that could makes them change their life. then after all this knowledge obtained, repeat the same things until realize that knowledge without a doing is like dream that keep alive only while sleeping ...

Olimac21

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Dec 3, 2015
Belo Horizonte, Brasil
Unlearn to realize that no one cares about the knowledge you have learned in this forum, reading books or in college, what it really important is use those knowledge as a tool to start your process on the fastlane. Remember that if the knowledge is not used and nor approached in real life situations, then it is forgotten. If it is forgotten, it means you have no tool to go on.
People usually forget about putting in practice the learned, while life goes by the same. when they notice that have forgotten it, then they regret and begin the same circle ... getting knowledge, motivation books, more knowledge in order to feel (although still not doing anything ) a power that could makes them change their life. then after all this knowledge obtained, repeat the same things until realize that knowledge without a doing is like dream that keep alive only while sleeping ...

Great point! In other words putting the knowledge into action asap

Galaxy16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Feb 4, 2018
Germany
Nowadays is encouraged to have a mindset of continious improvement or learning however I considered as important to unlearn many of knowledge/beliefs that do not make us any favour reaching further goals.

What would you say that are 3 things to unlearn inmediately?

For me these are:

1. Focusing on traditional life goals.
2. Good things happens for those who wait.
3. Relax and do whatever others (peers, family, friends) are also doing.
Not sure if already mentioned.
Some hilarious hoaxes are:

* Just BELIEVE it, and universe will magically reward you!

* Everything that does not kill you, makes you stronger! (no pain no gain is correct, but not the former one).

* Do what you LOVE and FOLLOW YOUR PASSION. (depends. If a passion was watching pornography, then it is contraproductive. Better learn to love the game of entrepreneurship).

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
Speaking of "continuous improvement"...

Unlearn action faking.

Seriously.

The world is full of people that talk and talk and talk but never DO anything.

"I'm gonna get in shape!"
"I'm gonna start a business!"
"Self improvement is, like, super important to me! See? I read ALL the self help books!"
"At the gym! Better post that sh*t on facebook!"

This is why I don't lift with anybody.

Them, week #1:

"Let's lift together! I'm gonna get swole bruh!!!"

Them, week #2:

"Man, I can't lift this week...gotta clip my toe nails"

So my #1 "unlearn immediately" item would be this constant talk, talk, talk, and instead do what other's don't...WORK.

(I'm not talking about anyone here specifically lol)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.