The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What kind of mattress do you own?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Our bed is something we spend a third of our life on, it might as well be the best.

A good night’s sleep is essential to having a productive day, healthy lifestyle, & healthy profits.

What kind of mattresses do fastlaners sleep on?

I’m thinking of getting a Sleep Number.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Bro! You're scaring me! I just bought a new mattress a couple of hours ago... (not something you buy frequently, and for this thread to pop up is funny)

But ANYWAY, I purchased:

Simba Mattress

Here on Sunday, going from a super budget mattress to this will hopefully mean a real difference in sleep quality and consequently performance, we will see!

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm in the market for a new mattress, so I'm interested in reading the replies.
Anyone try Casper?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Our bed is something we spend a third of our life on, it might as well be the best.

A good night’s sleep is essential to having a productive day, healthy lifestyle, & healthy profits.

Why not just buy an air mattress from Coleman or Dicks? Same as a sleep number bed. Put a pillow top on it if you want extra padding.

We have a crazy expensive old school Stearns and Foster.

All kidding aside, spend a BUNCH on your mattress. That is one area to not be a cheap a$$. You spend a third of your life laying on it.

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Why not just buy an air mattress from Coleman or Dicks? Same as a sleep number bed. Put a pillow top on it if you want extra padding.

We have a crazy expensive old school Stearns and Foster.

All kidding aside, spend a BUNCH on your mattress. That is one area to not be a cheap a$$. You spend a third of your life laying on it.

Read the first sentence of your reply like ':O' - LOL, you had me.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto

I once bought a slim mattress because it went with my modern bed frame, looked great, but was awful and not comfortable one bit. I returned it and dropped some extra cash on a fat clunker - it's a Beautyrest hotel diamond 5. This mattress is unbelievably comfy, 0 back problem, fall asleep in seconds. 100% highly recommended.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
I'm going to be buying a new mattress in May so thank goodness for this thread, but I can't lie: all last summer I stayed with a friend and all I used was some $240 memory foam mattress from Walmart and put it on the floor.

Easily one of the comfiest sleeping arrangments I've ever had.

Claude Roy

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Apr 11, 2017
St. Petersburg, FL
I just bought a Nectar mattress and really do not recommend it unless you like really hard mattress. It was reviewed very well, with a 1-year sleep trial guarantee, but it is so hard so I really don't recommend that one.

Parker fields

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Oy, I Spent a wee bit over 5k on my Sleep number. Am I happy.. YES! Would I have bought a different bed? Definitely! I'll say my bed will beat out 99% of consumer store beds that I've seen. There have been a few newer companies pop up that i'd be interested in trying out their product. ( Maybe I could make that a website) TEMPURPEDIC has my vote for a good option. I would avoid Sleep Number, If you want a detailed breakdown and photos i'll go there, but i'd rather avoid it.

A notable company that I didn't dig into was also www.purple.com. I didn't look into product reviews, but for looking at the bed for longevity and price. It caught my eye.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Here is the correct way to buy a mattress. Someone should be standing about 15-20 feet from you. Lay on your side the top of your shoulder and your hip should be aligned even. If you do that, then your body will have the perfect night sleep.

But..... you might not feel it at first. Probably if you are comfortable the very 1st night... you got the wrong mattress. Right now your body is probably not aligned right so it could take up to 3 months for your body to get aligned. Some nights you might be telling me I'm crazy because it's so uncomfortable but stick with it and you will thank me later.

Oh yeah.... all pillows are not created equal. They make specific pillows for the way you lay and I would have never believed it but they do work. So buy the $200 pillow.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Sleep number.

I like a ridiculous hard mattress and my wife likes soft. I set it as hard as it goes. Im not really that crazy about sleep number, but it gets the job done.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Has anyone tried MyPillow?
Oy, I Spent a wee bit over 5k on my Sleep number. Am I happy.. YES! Would I have bought a different bed? Definitely! I'll say my bed will beat out 99% of consumer store beds that I've seen. There have been a few newer companies pop up that i'd be interested in trying out their product. ( Maybe I could make that a website) TEMPURPEDIC has my vote for a good option. I would avoid Sleep Number, If you want a detailed breakdown and photos i'll go there, but i'd rather avoid it.

A notable company that I didn't dig into was also www.purple.com. I didn't look into product reviews, but for looking at the bed for longevity and price. It caught my eye.

This is a good review.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Oh yeah.... all pillows are not created equal. They make specific pillows for the way you lay and I would have never believed it but they do work. So buy the $200 pillow.

THIS! I sleep on my stomach with my face buried in the corner of my pillow. I look like a dead person. I bought a 'stomach' sleeper pillow and it has helped me get to sleep so much faster.

hungryhippocampi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Dec 27, 2017
North Carolina
I just read an article in Consumer Reports on this very thing. Top beds were:

- Firm Bed -- Sleep On Latex, Pure Green Firm
- Bed in a Box -- Casper, The Casper
- Innerspring - Charles P. Rogers, Powercore Estate 5000

I think it really depends on your sleeping style and body size.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Here is something I can say definitively...

Purple

Holy smokes the bed is perfect. I don't know what I did before buying it.

I sleep hot so all the money foam beds suck from Costco to tempurpedic.

The air beds like sleep number are overpriced air mattresses. The middles break down and while they can sleep decent when they are new it's not worth the cost.

Purple is the only bed I've had that sleeps cool, forms to any body type, and still bounces back instantly. The only downside is the thing is heavy.... But who really cares.

Since getting mine, I seem to find everyone that tries it, buys one.

I'm on mobile but you can see the egg test and all that on YouTube.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Tempurpedic. I like it ok but wish I went for the cloud luxe vs the next step down in firmness. It does sleep hot and I live in Arizona so it can make for hot summer nights... I am not sure if I would buy one again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

DannyD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Dec 1, 2017
Latin America
When I was in the US

I got one of those 2" memory foam mattress toppers from Bed Bath & Beyond

I don't know about Tempurpedic etc but what I just said is amazing and cost ~$100

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
When I was a kid we had a Japanese exchange student. She sent us a home video and in it there were mattresses, on the floor. I believe the system they used included a tatami mat as a base, and a Japanese futon on top for support. Having back pain a few weeks ago I opted to sleep on the floor, on my comforter. Some of the best sleep I've ever had. I plan on investing in a tatami mat/futon in the near future.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
air mattress from Coleman
Hey! These aren't so bad. I slept on one for a few months one time. I thought it was quite comfortable. lol. I really loved the water beds back in the day, because they were warm and cozy, and I lived in Michigan weather. But probably not so good for your back. I hate hard mattresses. Can't sleep worth a dang when the mattress feels like a board. I usually like the one's that feel like a pillow top.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
1) Amazon Signature Sleep mattress for about $180 - It's a really good bed for the price. It's in my guest rooms and people always ask what brand it is after they sleep over. When I get my Airbnb place up and running this is the bed that I'm going to put in all the rooms.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005A4OO80/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

2) Tuff & Needle, about $800 - I think it's just ok. Not bad, not awesome, it's about medium-firm, and I like firm mattresses. Probably should have returned it on day 99, but got lazy.

3) I can't remember the 3rd one lol, but it's at my condo in Colorado. It's super firm, my second favorite but I can't give you a name until I go up there to check.

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
My wife bought a Sleep Number without me being there.

They showed up to deliver it and put it together while I was home. I thought, this'll be cool. So I observed....

They unboxed it and started putting it together. I was laughing, literally laughing at this chintzy shit that they thought they had sold me for like 3k. I had them box it up and get it the F*ck out of my house immediately.

It's a glorified air mattress, with a PLASTIC frame. It was so cheap, i couldn't believe my eyes.

I had to pay like a 10% restocking fee, and the wife learned a valuable lesson. Always LOOK UNDERNEATH THE FANCY DEMO SHEETS to see whats underneath.

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
When I was a kid we had a Japanese exchange student. She sent us a home video and in it there were mattresses, on the floor. I believe the system they used included a tatami mat as a base, and a Japanese futon on top for support. Having back pain a few weeks ago I opted to sleep on the floor, on my comforter. Some of the best sleep I've ever had. I plan on investing in a tatami mat/futon in the near future.

I switched to a Japanese futon and never looked back. I was developing back problems and this definitely helped me get better sleep. It may take a bit to get used to but it is worth it.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I'm debating between Sleep Number and Tempurpedic.

Try a Leesa and a Purple first. You order em online, they show up, air out, have a 100 night return policy no questions asked.

Check out their return process, no need for retail.

I got a Leesa. Similar to Purple. I was going to return it before the 100 days and try a Purple but it's honestly so good I have no need. I'll try one in the future probably. I have only a platform frame under it and it's great, low profile too.

I wake up feeling like $$$, and the "bounce" is great too if you know what I mean ;)

Adam Green

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 7, 2018
OK
I'm in the market for a new mattress, so I'm interested in reading the replies.
Anyone try Casper?
I bought the "Purple" brand a few months ago and really like it. My back pain disappeared right away. I bought the "Purple" sheets too but hated them!

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
I switched to a Japanese futon and never looked back. I was developing back problems and this definitely helped me get better sleep. It may take a bit to get used to but it is worth it.
Did you use a platform style tatami? I've heard the common downfalls are that they can get moldy when directly on the floor. But, it does seem to help people that get back pain.

vth

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
259%
Feb 18, 2018
Phoenix, AZ
My wife and I bought a tuft and needle (same concept as lisa, purple, casper etc) bed in a box, it was super easy, just unroll open and it pops into shape. been a year+ on it and no complaints.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.