The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What kind of mattress do you own?

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
In my 20s I lived in Africa for a couple years, and got used to sleeping on the ground because it was cooler - a mattress collects heat around your body. Up until I got married 4 years ago I slept on one of those thin hiking pads on the floor. Honestly, I slept better that way than on any mattress. I also woke up easier.

Granted I might have slept better back then because I was lean, walking probably 10 miles a day, getting tons of sunshine and eating basically no processed foods, but let's stick with the sleeping on the floor theory :clench:

See below on natural sleeping posture for humans.

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
So looks like the Aeron was 'remastered' in 2016. Anyone got a new one?
The Embody is 2008. Mirra2 in 2014. [yes, thread hijack]

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I have been sleeping on a top-of-the-line Beautyrest for the past two years but have noticed lately that I haven't felt as 'rested' as I used to. I would literally wake up at 3 or 4 am and be unable to fall asleep again, or if I did, it would be a very light sleep. It was a constant toss and turn.

@ZCP had mentioned to me that he bought a Purple bed and was sold on it, and so I had been considering it for about a month, after reading a ton of reviews.

I still couldn't pull the trigger because of the price. I sometimes have a hard time buying something for myself because I think, man, I could buy 2k worth of product and turn it into 5k and then maybe I'll do it. I literally went around and around about this in my head for weeks. It was an internal argument.

I finally came to the conclusion that my quality of life meant more to me than creating more income.

I was self-sabotaging my personal growth.

So I bit the bullet and bought the bed.;)

And all I can say, it is one of the best investments in myself in the past year. This bed has changed my life. I am so much more rested. I can focus more, and I literally get more done.

Plus I smile more!

If your debating about a purchase like this, just ask yourself how important your quality of life is to you.

BTW., Buy their sheets, if they don't come free. Definitely worth it!

And no, I'm not getting paid for this

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I know this is the Random thread.. but war discussion should stay in The Ukraine War, implications, outcome?

This might be a thread on its own if we get enough replies. I searched the forum and couldn’t find any information about this.

What kind of bed are Fastlaners sleeping on?

I am currently looking for a higher bed and a good mattress. I went to a bed/mattress shop and figured I love a mattress that is Medium/ Soft and has 4450 pocket spring units. At £1500 for the mattress only, I’m saying ouch.

My current bed frame has a height of 9,5 inches from floor to top. When we add the mattress, it comes to 14,5 inches.

When I first bought the bed, me and my girlfriend were very happy about its modern look. Now It seems the height it’s taking its toll on my body. I wake up all stiff with upper back pain that goes away throughout the day with movements but comes back every morning due to the bed.

Needless to say, it is very hard to actually stand up from the bed since my hips are lower than my knees when sitting on the bed.

I need something that will help me get out of bed more natural.

What are you sleeping on? Do you think it you would benefit from a better bed / mattress?

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I know this is the Random thread.. but war discussion should stay in The Ukraine War, implications, outcome?

This might be a thread on its own if we get enough replies. I searched the forum and couldn’t find any information about this.

I am currently looking for a higher bed and a good mattress. I went to a bed/mattress shop and figured I love a mattress that is Medium/ Soft and has 4450 pocket spring units. At £1500 for the mattress only, I’m saying ouch.

My current bed frame has a height of 9,5 inches from floor to top. When we add the mattress, it comes to 14,5 inches.

When I first bought the bed, me and my girlfriend were very happy about its modern look. Now It seems the height it’s taking its toll on my body. I wake up all stiff with upper back pain that goes away throughout the day with movements but comes back every morning due to the bed.

Needless to say, it is very hard to actually stand up from the bed since my hips are lower than my knees when sitting on the bed.

What are you sleeping on? Do you think it you would benefit from a better bed / mattress?

The height/getting up in the morning would probably always remain an issue unless you get a significantly taller mattress (could cause other issues) or a different frame.

Assuming you liked the mattress when you first got it, is the mattress flippable (the same on both sides)? If so, when was the last time you flipped it?

I tend to flip my mattress every four months and I rotate it 180 degrees (so head area becomes foot area) every two months. I think of it like getting your car tires rotated frequently so it prolongs usefulness of the mattress and prevents your body becoming too used to a particular sunken area.

Another recommendation might be a 2 inch (or more) foam mattress topper. I added one and it has been a nice improvement.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
The height/getting up in the morning would probably always remain an issue unless you get a significantly taller mattress (could cause other issues) or a different frame.
That is the plan, to get a new mattress and a higher frame.

The mattress came as a gift for purchasing the bed frame. It is a basic mattress. I flip it about once a month but there are visible differences with sunken areas here and there.

The mattress I am talking about has a topper already attached to it, so that should be an extra bonus.

Just seen some £110 pillows. My god, is it hype only or actually worth the money?

Thank you for your reply !

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Do you have a soft mattress or firm mattress? Do you have a box spring under your mattress or is it right on the bed frame? Mine has frame, box spring, then the mattress.

TBH I don't know very much about beds or mattresses. Just know mine is comfortable and I'm happy.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
That is the plan, to get a new mattress and a higher frame.

The mattress came as a gift for purchasing the bed frame. It is a basic mattress. I flip it about once a month but there are visible differences with sunken areas here and there.

The mattress I am talking about has a topper already attached to it, so that should be an extra bonus.

Just seen some £110 pillows. My god, is it hype only or actually worth the money?

Thank you for your reply !
Honestly, I think everyone is so different that for some, a £110 pillow would be amazing, while for me, my favorite pillow is so sad looking that even someone sleeping outside on concrete would probably look at my pillow and say "Nah, I'm good."

How old is your mattress?

£1500 is a lot to spend on a mattress, but considering a third of your hours are going to be spent laying on it and how impactful sleep is to the other two-thirds, it might be worth it. Hard to say without being able to trial it.
@Chosen1 @woken @Trevor Kuntz -- FYI, I moved your mattress talk to an existing thread, looks like a decent discussion.
Thanks, MJ. Looks like there are a lot of good replies further up in this thread already!

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Do you have a soft mattress or firm mattress?

Mine has frame, box spring, then the mattress.
So is your bed close to the ceiling? Ahahaha

I don’t know much either about beds, hence the thread.

The mattress is very soft but that is also accentuated do to the sunken parts. I tried a medium soft one, the one I mentioned and I liked it.

How old is your mattress?
It’s about two years old.

Hard to say without being able to trial it.
They do offer some 100 days of trial. I’m not sure how that works and how much I’d get back anyway, I’ll look into it.

The issue I’m having at the moment is that most bed frames I’m seeing actually come with their own mattress AND there‘s no option to choose not having one.

Drake’s mattress costs $395.000 and here I am fidgeting about my £1500 purchase. :rofl::rofl:

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
So is your bed close to the ceiling? Ahahaha

I don’t know much either about beds, hence the thread.

The mattress is very soft but that is also accentuated do to the sunken parts. I tried a medium soft one, the one I mentioned and I liked it.

It’s about two years old.

They do offer some 100 days of trial. I’m not sure how that works and how much I’d get back anyway, I’ll look into it.

The issue I’m having at the moment is that most bed frames I’m seeing actually come with their own mattress AND there‘s no option to choose not having one.

Drake’s mattress costs $395.000 and here I am fidgeting about my £1500 purchase. :rofl::rofl:
If the frames come with a mattress and you already know that you definitely need a taller frame, then I would just buy a new frame and see how it goes with the mattress that it comes with.

If you don't like the mattress that comes with the new frame, see if you can donate it or sell it and then start looking for a new mattress. If you do like the new mattress, then you use it for a year, two years, maybe more and get a different mattress once it wears out.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Don’t get me started about beds and mattresses lol. In the past two years I have purchased 10 to 15 mattresses for my personal home and my Airbnb homes.

My current obsession is to make sure that the height of the mattress is the exact height of the night tables. In doing so I’ve come to discover that you can buy a boxspring from 2 inches to 10 inches high. So what I’m saying is that if you buy any mattress you like and then raise it to whatever height you want by using a boxspring.

As for mattresses I decided to go with tuft and needle. However what is interesting is that I have purchased 8 tuft and needle king beds and they all have a different firmness even though they are the exact same model. It's kind of frustrating but they have a good return policy.

These mattresses were about $1000 apiece. I also purchased the $1200 tuft and needle mint king bed that is supposed to have better airflow, but I’ve only found it to be softer.

Right now, I have found the perfect combination of mattress, bed sheets and pillow. I don’t know if this is the same with everybody, but I found that I also need a certain type of bedsheet in combination with the mattress, pillow and comforter for it to feel perfect. The same goes for pillows. I have tested a ton of pillows and I finally found one that works for me so that is the only one I buy. It is also one that I bring with me when I travel as hotel pillows generally suck.

Another fastlaner @AnneC, just recently purchased some Nectar brand beds. I slept on one for 3 to 5 days and it was very different than my current tuft and needle bed. I think it made my back feel better, I’m not sure. But the bed was too conforming for me. I personally like a stiffer bed, but now I’m wondering if my back actually likes a softer one. By the way I am a hot sleeper cell soft beds are just too hot for me, which is probably why I like stiffer beds.

Here is my current go to bed combo:
Mattress
Sheet
Pillow (with 1/3 stuffing removed)

Below is an example of getting the bed and nightstand height as close as possible using a tiny box spring.

IMG_9426.jpg
IMG_9423.jpg

Last edited:

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the tag @woken .
Mine is a $350 Zinus Green Tea 12 inch memory foam double (aka "full") mattress from Amazon. Not too fancy because I bought it when I was moving every 4 months between school and internship terms. Despite the low price I actually find it really comfortable. Probably a 4 on a scale of 10 in terms of stiffness. Definitely going to upgrade to a queen soon, and would consider buying the same brand.
Bed Link

I'm a side sleeper so I prefer stiffer pillows, it's probably an 8 out of 10 in terms of stiffness. $40 from Walmart.
Pillow Link

My bed is probably 2.5ft off the ground? I don't really have too much trouble getting in or out. My knees are below my hips when I sit on the edge. I've had the mattress directly on the floor at times too, and that was okay. Yours sounds like an awkward height.

Maybe it's cause I'm only 25 but I've never woken up with back pain. All my back pain is from hunching over at my desk...

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Maybe it's cause I'm only 25 but I've never woken up with back pain. All my back pain is from hunching over at my desk...
Thanks for all the info !

I definitely have a hard time deciding what to get.

I’m 2 months away from being 26.

@biophase I appreciate all the info! After I made the first post I thought that I won’t be getting any replies.

The height of the bed looks just perfect.
About the box springs, I’m not sure if the added weight would be supported by the frame I have?

Trial and error here but getting to know what makes a good bed definitely helps.

Edit : I’m mostly a side sleeper and have been using a soft pillow for a while
now. Last night I changed to a stiffer one and holy pillows! No pain in my neck anymore.

I’m hooked.

Woke up ready to conquer the world. I haven’t had this feeling in a long time.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase I appreciate all the info! After I made the first post I thought that I won’t be getting any replies.

The height of the bed looks just perfect.
About the box springs, I’m not sure if the added weight would be supported by the frame I have?
Boxsprings are very light, your bed should have no problem with them.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
Boxsprings are very light, your bed should have no problem with them.
However, I’m having trouble finding such a thing in the UK..

It’s either box spring bed or bed frame. I did find one from the US which would cost more than its price to be shipped.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
257%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Our bed is something we spend a third of our life on, it might as well be the best.

A good night’s sleep is essential to having a productive day, healthy lifestyle, & healthy profits.

What kind of mattresses do fastlaners sleep on?

I’m thinking of getting a Sleep Number.
I have a Sleep Number on our guest bed. We have a purple on our bed with a topper. I had no idea how heavy that purple was. It broke the box springs (I should have read the instructions) My husband built a platform. And it was too hard for us, so now we have a 3" topper over it. I really, really miss my old water bed. That was the most comfortable one I've ever owned.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
However, I’m having trouble finding such a thing in the UK..

It’s either box spring bed or bed frame. I did find one from the US which would cost more than its price to be shipped.
Wow, I didn’t know that box springs were a US thing.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
288%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
If anyone from Australia is in this thread I highly recommend sleeping duck mattress.

Also I’ve spent $100s on pillows and I would do it again.

Sleep is so important and so is your body, why lie uncomfortably for 8 hours every single night.

You can sleep with the same pillow a billionaire would probably use for $100. Why use a cheap $20 one.

AnneC

Conscious
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
392%
Jan 3, 2012
USA
We actually got two versions of the Nectar mattresses. @biophase slept on the cheapie ones we got on sale for under $400. We bought two of those. One was definitely too soft… like they forgot a layer of foam or something. We tried to exchange it. There’s no way to stuff a bed-in-box back in the box, so they refunded 85% back, and we bought another one. Maybe the manufacturing is not consistent on the cheap one.

We also got two of the expensive Nectar Copper mattresses, which are really nice. Not too soft. Only complaint is that they are really thick, so we had to buy shorter legs for the adjustable beds. I’ve been sleeping on it for three weeks now, and feel pretty good about our purchase.

We knew we wanted a memory foam mattresses. Try a lot of mattresses in the store before you buy.

Also, as a random note, we’ve slept on beds in three of biophase’s houses. And even though they’re all Tuft and Needle (and all King size), they all feel different firmness to me.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
0799E721-00A2-4539-9149-836825D80894.png
Only complaint is that they are really thick, so we had to buy shorter legs for the adjustable beds
:rofl::rofl: I guess that is a problem as well. Having to jump on/off the bed.

I put the photo accidentally in the quote, at least that’s how it looks to me.

I found the solution for people that want to feel at sea when sleeping. :rofl::rofl:

I still haven’t taken a decision. Still need to get more info.

Agent X

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Mar 20, 2019
Utah
My wife's uncle has serious back pain from a ATV accident from years ago. Him and his wife ended up getting rid of their mattress/bed entirely and sleep on the floor now and he says it helps a lot. Their kids sleep on the floor a lot too. I actually think one of the kids doesn't even have a bed anymore since he never sleeps in one. So not that I have experience in this, but I think G-Man might have the right idea:
In my 20s I lived in Africa for a couple years, and got used to sleeping on the ground because it was cooler - a mattress collects heat around your body. Up until I got married 4 years ago I slept on one of those thin hiking pads on the floor. Honestly, I slept better that way than on any mattress. I also woke up easier.

Granted I might have slept better back then because I was lean, walking probably 10 miles a day, getting tons of sunshine and eating basically no processed foods, but let's stick with the sleeping on the floor theory :clench:

See below on natural sleeping posture for humans.

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain
I also hear good things about using Shikifutons for back pain.

TedM

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
May 21, 2013
Israel
ummm..... I would sleep on a futon with a foam core in a minute (my wife thinks it's dumb, so we don't have one anymore... that's 33 years of sacrifice on my part...) I love the breathability of the cotton, and the foam core keeps the futon comfortable even after the cotton is packed down some.

Pillow: 100% real down... just keep it aired out and make sure to fluff/ shake it out every morning to keep the loft...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.