The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What kind of mattress do you own?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Our bed is something we spend a third of our life on, it might as well be the best.

A good night’s sleep is essential to having a productive day, healthy lifestyle, & healthy profits.

What kind of mattresses do fastlaners sleep on?

I’m thinking of getting a Sleep Number.

Why not just buy an air mattress from Coleman or Dicks? Same as a sleep number bed. Put a pillow top on it if you want extra padding.

We have a crazy expensive old school Stearns and Foster.

All kidding aside, spend a BUNCH on your mattress. That is one area to not be a cheap a$$. You spend a third of your life laying on it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Here is something I can say definitively...

Purple

Holy smokes the bed is perfect. I don't know what I did before buying it.

I sleep hot so all the money foam beds suck from Costco to tempurpedic.

The air beds like sleep number are overpriced air mattresses. The middles break down and while they can sleep decent when they are new it's not worth the cost.

Purple is the only bed I've had that sleeps cool, forms to any body type, and still bounces back instantly. The only downside is the thing is heavy.... But who really cares.

Since getting mine, I seem to find everyone that tries it, buys one.

I'm on mobile but you can see the egg test and all that on YouTube.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Would have never thought a thread on this forum would be instrumental in my mattress purchase. But here we are. ;)

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Bro! You're scaring me! I just bought a new mattress a couple of hours ago... (not something you buy frequently, and for this thread to pop up is funny)

But ANYWAY, I purchased:

Simba Mattress

Here on Sunday, going from a super budget mattress to this will hopefully mean a real difference in sleep quality and consequently performance, we will see!

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Our bed is something we spend a third of our life on, it might as well be the best.

A good night’s sleep is essential to having a productive day, healthy lifestyle, & healthy profits.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Well what did you get? Don't vauge-bait us here!

Nothing, my researched overwhelmed me. Too many options and many good reviews, especially on here.

So I'm still in the market.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Don’t get me started about beds and mattresses lol. In the past two years I have purchased 10 to 15 mattresses for my personal home and my Airbnb homes.

My current obsession is to make sure that the height of the mattress is the exact height of the night tables. In doing so I’ve come to discover that you can buy a boxspring from 2 inches to 10 inches high. So what I’m saying is that if you buy any mattress you like and then raise it to whatever height you want by using a boxspring.

As for mattresses I decided to go with tuft and needle. However what is interesting is that I have purchased 8 tuft and needle king beds and they all have a different firmness even though they are the exact same model. It's kind of frustrating but they have a good return policy.

These mattresses were about $1000 apiece. I also purchased the $1200 tuft and needle mint king bed that is supposed to have better airflow, but I’ve only found it to be softer.

Right now, I have found the perfect combination of mattress, bed sheets and pillow. I don’t know if this is the same with everybody, but I found that I also need a certain type of bedsheet in combination with the mattress, pillow and comforter for it to feel perfect. The same goes for pillows. I have tested a ton of pillows and I finally found one that works for me so that is the only one I buy. It is also one that I bring with me when I travel as hotel pillows generally suck.

Another fastlaner @AnneC, just recently purchased some Nectar brand beds. I slept on one for 3 to 5 days and it was very different than my current tuft and needle bed. I think it made my back feel better, I’m not sure. But the bed was too conforming for me. I personally like a stiffer bed, but now I’m wondering if my back actually likes a softer one. By the way I am a hot sleeper cell soft beds are just too hot for me, which is probably why I like stiffer beds.

Here is my current go to bed combo:
Mattress
Sheet
Pillow (with 1/3 stuffing removed)

Below is an example of getting the bed and nightstand height as close as possible using a tiny box spring.

IMG_9426.jpg
IMG_9423.jpg

Last edited:

PureA

Winners never quit
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
348%
Dec 24, 2013
Bali
Why not just buy an air mattress from Coleman or Dicks? Same as a sleep number bed. Put a pillow top on it if you want extra padding.

We have a crazy expensive old school Stearns and Foster.

All kidding aside, spend a BUNCH on your mattress. That is one area to not be a cheap a$$. You spend a third of your life laying on it.

Read the first sentence of your reply like ':O' - LOL, you had me.

ddzc

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
May 22, 2012
Toronto

I once bought a slim mattress because it went with my modern bed frame, looked great, but was awful and not comfortable one bit. I returned it and dropped some extra cash on a fat clunker - it's a Beautyrest hotel diamond 5. This mattress is unbelievably comfy, 0 back problem, fall asleep in seconds. 100% highly recommended.

Parker fields

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 14, 2017
Tulsa, OK
Oy, I Spent a wee bit over 5k on my Sleep number. Am I happy.. YES! Would I have bought a different bed? Definitely! I'll say my bed will beat out 99% of consumer store beds that I've seen. There have been a few newer companies pop up that i'd be interested in trying out their product. ( Maybe I could make that a website) TEMPURPEDIC has my vote for a good option. I would avoid Sleep Number, If you want a detailed breakdown and photos i'll go there, but i'd rather avoid it.

A notable company that I didn't dig into was also www.purple.com. I didn't look into product reviews, but for looking at the bed for longevity and price. It caught my eye.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Oh yeah.... all pillows are not created equal. They make specific pillows for the way you lay and I would have never believed it but they do work. So buy the $200 pillow.

THIS! I sleep on my stomach with my face buried in the corner of my pillow. I look like a dead person. I bought a 'stomach' sleeper pillow and it has helped me get to sleep so much faster.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
My purple 4 gets here this week. Got the frame and the stretch sheets.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Would have never thought a thread on this forum would be instrumental in my mattress purchase. But here we are. ;)
Well what did you get? Don't vauge-bait us here!

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
543%
Jan 13, 2014
In my 20s I lived in Africa for a couple years, and got used to sleeping on the ground because it was cooler - a mattress collects heat around your body. Up until I got married 4 years ago I slept on one of those thin hiking pads on the floor. Honestly, I slept better that way than on any mattress. I also woke up easier.

Granted I might have slept better back then because I was lean, walking probably 10 miles a day, getting tons of sunshine and eating basically no processed foods, but let's stick with the sleeping on the floor theory :clench:

See below on natural sleeping posture for humans.

Instinctive sleeping and resting postures: an anthropological and zoological approach to treatment of low back and joint pain

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Here is the correct way to buy a mattress. Someone should be standing about 15-20 feet from you. Lay on your side the top of your shoulder and your hip should be aligned even. If you do that, then your body will have the perfect night sleep.

But..... you might not feel it at first. Probably if you are comfortable the very 1st night... you got the wrong mattress. Right now your body is probably not aligned right so it could take up to 3 months for your body to get aligned. Some nights you might be telling me I'm crazy because it's so uncomfortable but stick with it and you will thank me later.

Oh yeah.... all pillows are not created equal. They make specific pillows for the way you lay and I would have never believed it but they do work. So buy the $200 pillow.

hungryhippocampi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Dec 27, 2017
North Carolina
I just read an article in Consumer Reports on this very thing. Top beds were:

- Firm Bed -- Sleep On Latex, Pure Green Firm
- Bed in a Box -- Casper, The Casper
- Innerspring - Charles P. Rogers, Powercore Estate 5000

I think it really depends on your sleeping style and body size.

steelandchrome

Author of The Retail Leader Book.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Nov 6, 2016
Goodyear Az
Tempurpedic. I like it ok but wish I went for the cloud luxe vs the next step down in firmness. It does sleep hot and I live in Arizona so it can make for hot summer nights... I am not sure if I would buy one again.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

evlttwin

It's A Long Way To The Top....
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Feb 13, 2013
Southern California
My wife bought a Sleep Number without me being there.

They showed up to deliver it and put it together while I was home. I thought, this'll be cool. So I observed....

They unboxed it and started putting it together. I was laughing, literally laughing at this chintzy shit that they thought they had sold me for like 3k. I had them box it up and get it the F*ck out of my house immediately.

It's a glorified air mattress, with a PLASTIC frame. It was so cheap, i couldn't believe my eyes.

I had to pay like a 10% restocking fee, and the wife learned a valuable lesson. Always LOOK UNDERNEATH THE FANCY DEMO SHEETS to see whats underneath.

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
When I was a kid we had a Japanese exchange student. She sent us a home video and in it there were mattresses, on the floor. I believe the system they used included a tatami mat as a base, and a Japanese futon on top for support. Having back pain a few weeks ago I opted to sleep on the floor, on my comforter. Some of the best sleep I've ever had. I plan on investing in a tatami mat/futon in the near future.

I switched to a Japanese futon and never looked back. I was developing back problems and this definitely helped me get better sleep. It may take a bit to get used to but it is worth it.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
I'm debating between Sleep Number and Tempurpedic.

Try a Leesa and a Purple first. You order em online, they show up, air out, have a 100 night return policy no questions asked.

Check out their return process, no need for retail.

I got a Leesa. Similar to Purple. I was going to return it before the 100 days and try a Purple but it's honestly so good I have no need. I'll try one in the future probably. I have only a platform frame under it and it's great, low profile too.

I wake up feeling like $$$, and the "bounce" is great too if you know what I mean ;)

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
The last year I've been living in Vietnam. All their mattresses are rock hard. It's like punching a heavy bag. My back is screwed lol.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
How long have you had it? Any side sleeping issues? Does the top layers 'soften up' over time and in spots? Do you have it on a frame or box spring or platform? Thinking about buying one of these....

How long have you had it? somewhere between 9-12 months
Any side sleeping issues? I only sleep on my side and stomach, no issues. Probably one of the few that even helps
Does the top layers 'soften up' over time and in spots? Not from what I've seen yet
Do you have it on a frame or box spring or platform? Box spring but it's not required, you could put it on anything that has enough support. Most modern frames have a lot more slats than the old ones did.

I was looking at their site yesterday, now you can get the new version where you pick the depth of the purple. I'd love to try the 3 or the 4". Mine is the original which i think is 2.5" maybe.

Side note, you HAVE to have stretch sheets. Otherwise it doesn't work. Always lay on the bed with and without sheets to see if your sheets are making things better or worse in terms of the way your mattress moves. Same goes for memory foam beds.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@MJ DeMarco got mine may of last year ..... it has had a lot of traffic ;) ...... it was the 4" one .... still awesome ..... i got their frame with it. that squeaks too much. am probably going to put it on a platform and camber the middle up a little to combat any long term sag .... haven't noticed any to date

i also got the pillow. thought it would suck. it is awesome. really F*cking heavy, so it doesn't move. nice and cool. doesn't trap heat like some pillows (especially foam).

just try it. if it sucks, light it on fire. fun will be had by all!

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
We have a $8k sleep number because my wife and I have different preferences in firmness. My sleep number is 100.

It works for us, but it is honestly no better to me than a $400 super firm Serta that I bought 5 years ago. My wife hates that one though.

The whole "don't cheap out, half of your life" happy bullshit is just a marketing ploy we have all bought into. All this proprietary technology is just marketing. The only thing that matters is that you are comfortable.

We will buy two twin xl's next time and put them together on a king frame. Evidently that perfectly equals a king.

Seth G.

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Oct 30, 2018
Tri-State Area

Bear Mattress.
It's super comfy and allegedly good for recovering muscles.
Definitely the best bed I've ever owned.

Would I buy it again? Maybe... there are so many mattresses to choose from these days.

Kruiser

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
Aug 22, 2017
Arizona
Thoughts on the Aeron? should we get them for me and all the peeps in the office? they really that good?

I hated my Aeron. I was never able to get comfortable in it for whatever reason. Got a Equa 2 from Herman Miller. Way more comfortable. Excellent ergonomincs for $200ish.

million$$$smile

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
703%
Dec 25, 2012
Midwest
I have been sleeping on a top-of-the-line Beautyrest for the past two years but have noticed lately that I haven't felt as 'rested' as I used to. I would literally wake up at 3 or 4 am and be unable to fall asleep again, or if I did, it would be a very light sleep. It was a constant toss and turn.

@ZCP had mentioned to me that he bought a Purple bed and was sold on it, and so I had been considering it for about a month, after reading a ton of reviews.

I still couldn't pull the trigger because of the price. I sometimes have a hard time buying something for myself because I think, man, I could buy 2k worth of product and turn it into 5k and then maybe I'll do it. I literally went around and around about this in my head for weeks. It was an internal argument.

I finally came to the conclusion that my quality of life meant more to me than creating more income.

I was self-sabotaging my personal growth.

So I bit the bullet and bought the bed.;)

And all I can say, it is one of the best investments in myself in the past year. This bed has changed my life. I am so much more rested. I can focus more, and I literally get more done.

Plus I smile more!

If your debating about a purchase like this, just ask yourself how important your quality of life is to you.

BTW., Buy their sheets, if they don't come free. Definitely worth it!

And no, I'm not getting paid for this

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.