The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What do you guys do for accountability? Experimenting with an accountability partner

Anything related to matters of the mind

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Starting a business, for me at least, feels a little bit like living on an island.

That's part of the reason why I joined up here, met some local entrepreneur groups, and reach out to people I admire.

This Friday, I'm starting to do a weekly bro-call with a guy in a completely different industry. The idea is that we list the status of the goals we set for the previous week, and set new goals for ourselves.

Does anyone else do something similar to this? What else should we talk about?

I'm sure having employees or investors would shoot my accountability through the roof, but for those of us who don't need those yet, have you experimented with accountability partners?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

K. H.

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Dec 14, 2014
CA
What holds me accountable is failure. Failure forces me to take problems and make them work for me because if I didn't, I'd be hurting a lot of people in the process.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Does anyone else do something similar to this? What else should we talk about?
A few of us on the forum started a group a couple years ago. We meet on Skype weekly and set weekly goals with punishments for not reaching them. I'm not a huge fan of the punishments myself, but that's the biggest motivator for others. We talk about roadblocks, plans and get input on ideas going forward. Each week, we subconsciously choose one person to give a hard time. Does it work? Yes. But you need some sort of plan though otherwise you just work to work, which is brutal.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
I actually saw that thread where you guys set it up when I searched "accountability."

What kind of punishments do you impose on yourselves? I'm not a fan either, I think that just having to report to someone is going to be enough.

Does it work? Yes. But you need some sort of plan though otherwise you just work to work

Could you elaborate on that? Are you talking about your yearly, quarterly, and weekly strategy (something I just finished mapping out for 2015)? Or are you talking about a plan you come up with each week during the call?

Is there anything valuable I can take from that call structure that I can apply to my 2-man situation?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
We've thought of all sorts of punishments, but we mainly do a three strikes and you're out thing. $50 to each person the first time, $150 the second time, out of the group the third. We also came up with stuff like go knock on someone's door and try to sell them something.

I'm being general with the term plan. Basically, you have to have something you are working toward. For example, a goal of "finding out what I want to do" isn't fun. It's not concrete or measurable. If you have a business you are working on, that is enough of a plan to work.

I actually tried a two man accountability setup, and found it to be quite less effective. If there is ever a disagreement, there needs to be at least one, if not two, people to also give input. Sometimes it takes two or more people saying the same thing for you to think, "Ok, maybe there is more truth to this than I thought." Having one person disagree with you is an argument. Having three people disagree with you is a wake up call.

Hope that makes sense...

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
I drop them off at school every morning :)

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Did you take this idea from Darren Hardy's "The Compound Effect" ? (Very good book to read if you haven't)

I should honestly find an accountability partner. I have a mentor I chat with at least 5 times a week by email, and maybe once by phone every other week, but it isn't really an accountability thing, or on a consistent basis. Moreso catching up and keeping shit smooth sailing on both ends in life.. We're both killing it, he's just killing it more and that's why he's my mentor :)

There should be a thread for people pairing up as accountability partners on this forum and doing exactly like you mentioned.

Too many slowlaner dreamkillers, at least from what I see, to find an accountability partner that will move you forward instead of backwards.. So glad i stumbled upon this forum by chance though. Best forum I've yet to find.

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
A few of us on the forum started a group a couple years ago. We meet on Skype weekly and set weekly goals with punishments for not reaching them. I'm not a huge fan of the punishments myself, but that's the biggest motivator for others. We talk about roadblocks, plans and get input on ideas going forward. Each week, we subconsciously choose one person to give a hard time. Does it work? Yes. But you need some sort of plan though otherwise you just work to work, which is brutal.

I want in. Great idea w/ skype.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I want in. Great idea w/ skype.
I think four or so people is about the right size. Less than that and motivation seems to go down. More than that and the calls take too long.
I bet if you posted that you want to start a group, you could get 20 people interested. Then, all you have to do is drop the bad ones :)

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Nobody knows this, but I usually stand at attention for the calls.
Well I was thinking you may all hold a heavy log in the middle of ocean waves like the Navy seals do.

Ramble On

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jun 7, 2014
I drop them off at school every morning :)

This is my motivation as well. I'm also not getting any younger! I feel that if I don't make it into the Fastlane soon, I won't have many years left to enjoy it once I do. If you don't have things like this to motivate you then find something that will. Even though I am not involved in one, I could definitely see how an accountability group could help.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
I actually tried a two man accountability setup, and found it to be quite less effective. If there is ever a disagreement, there needs to be at least one, if not two, people to also give input. Sometimes it takes two or more people saying the same thing for you to think, "Ok, maybe there is more truth to this than I thought." Having one person disagree with you is an argument. Having three people disagree with you is a wake up call.

This is very useful. I'm going to see what we can do to scale up the virtual meetings.

Did you take this idea from Darren Hardy's "The Compound Effect" ? (Very good book to read if you haven't)
Haven't heard of it, I'll check it out.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Hey guys, just wanted to update.

First, thanks for everyone's input! We did the first email today, and I think it's going well. Skype would be much better, I think, since this lends itself more to conversation (the emails felt like a sterile status update with a few follow-up encouraging statements and back-patting).

I'm convinced getting at least a third party involved is the right move.

Is what I'm trying to do considered a "Mastermind"? Who coined that term and where can I turn to learn about what a mastermind is?

Rick2010

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Dec 2, 2014
Florida
the "Mastermind" is a term coined by Napoleon Hill in his book "16 Laws of Success" Here it is, free PDF.

http://www.bengtalvang.se/napoleonhill/law-of-success-napoleon-hill.pdf I highly recommend.

Lesson 1 is the law of the Mastermind. Basically the concept is that a group of people working together in perfect harmony will create a unified mind that is greater than each of the individuals. It's an interesting concept.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.