The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018
Switzerland, at the lake of Lucerne
Dear Community,

I am very interested in what you other fastlaners do, because I have noticed that a lot of the slowlaners have never heard of this topic. They don't do anything to enhance their performance except than to drink coffee.

The Actions in my day are the following:

When I get up in the morning, I do the Miracle Morning. For me that takes 60 minutes.

(For those of you who have never heard of that: You get up an hour earlier than normal, and in this hour you do all growth related actions: You the S-A-V-E-R-S:
S: Silence (Meditation, Prayer, something that centers you)
A: Affirmation (You do affirmations on your goals and dreams)
V: Visualization (Same as A, you just visualize)
E: Exercise (You Exercise. I personally do HIIT training for 25 minutes every day)
R: Reading (You read 10 pages or an certain amount of time every day)
S: Scribing (You journal. I personally do an Achievement Journal)

Then I eat a healthy diet. (I do Paleo-Diet)
After Lunch I do 30 minutes of reading.
I lead at one or two mastermind meeting a week.
I assure that I have a good 8 hour sleep every night.

What do you do?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Going all out on the best sleep possible:
  • No electronics in the room, except for the phone (I haven't seen conclusive evidence that this matters. But there are no ambient LED lights. Which does have an impact, even if you don't consciously notice them)
  • Memory foam mattress
  • Pitch black room
  • In the morning the curtains and blinds automatically open. (Easy setup with an Arduino board)
  • Windows or doors open for airflow. (CO2 pools around your face at night)
  • Chamomile tea before bed, if the day was rough
+++1 for HIIT and Paleo. Cutting out bread/pasta and artificial sugars was life changing.

I'm trying "Oil Pulling."

This is where you take a teaspoon of (all natural) coconut oil and swish it in your mouth for 20 min a day. It's supposed to be good for oral health. Like whiter teeth and no bad breath.

But I'm testing it out for bacteria regulation, since we know how much our gut biome affects our cognitive abilities.

I lead at one or two mastermind meeting a week.

What kind of impact have you noticed here?

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I take Modafinil and drink 2 cups of coffee per day, and even though I start most days between 5-5.30 a.m. I try and make sure that I am working at the most effective thing possible between 8-12 and 16:00-17:30.

On top of that I have to meditate for 25 mins in the morning, or I just feel weird all day, and I need at least three 2 hour gym sessions in the week, and one day of just pure admin and catching up.

I'm thinking about doing more nootropic drug research, as Modafinil gives me a performance edge, I've heard the racetam family is pretty good for focus and clarity.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
8 hours of sleep.
Power nap during day.
A tea bag around midday. (less caffeine than coffee)
A smaller meal around lunch to avoid the after lunch grogginess.
A jog three times per week while savoring the beautiful sights.
A devotion some nights where I ponder the big questions of life, pray and read a bible.
The thing is, evident by my post and the others I just read, energy is more than just physical. Our emotional energy (spiritual even) is also just as important. If one awakes depressed, all the physical energy would seem absent.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
  • No electronics in the room, except for the phone (I haven't seen conclusive evidence that this matters. But there are no ambient LED lights. Which does have an impact, even if you don't consciously notice them)
  • Memory foam mattress
  • Pitch black room
  • In the morning the curtains and blinds automatically open. (Easy setup with an Arduino board)
  • Windows or doors open for airflow. (CO2 pools around your face at night)
  • Chamomile tea before bed, if the day was rough

It's funny how people can be exact opposites (for good reasons) and still probably outwardly represent a similar level of motivation and health. For example.

-I can't have my phone in my room or when my mind is racing, I'll open it to write myself notes (the backlight then wakes me up and I check e-mail). My phone is actually plugged-in in my bathroom and the alarm gets me up
-I feel "trapped" when I lay on memory foam. High-quality, very firm coil mattress for me
-I have very thin (sheer) curtains as my bed/wake schedule is closer to my outside environment. I go to bed early, and wake-up early (usually 4:30-5am)
-Agree with windows - I run a fan
-Also agree - warm tea does it

Anyway, I just think you're bound to get a lot of different responses on specific activities/tips here but the consistent portion will be a solid routine built on other good habits (e.g., the specific type of bed matters less than it being of high quality with a consistent bed time).

-PM

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
-I can't have my phone in my room or when my mind is racing, I'll open it to write myself notes (the backlight then wakes me up and I check e-mail). My phone is actually plugged-in in my bathroom and the alarm gets me up

I use a pen and pad

Studies show writing down helps you remember what you wrote. Vs typing.

It's funny how people can be exact opposites (for good reasons) and still probably outwardly represent a similar level of motivation and health. For example.

It's not that all of these diets or routines don't work. It's that they don't work for some people.

What's important is that we keep testing.

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018
@ApparentHorizon :
Going all out on the best sleep possible
Oh wow yeah that’s an very important thing. I remember sleeping 9-10 hours a night, but still feeling weak all day long. Now as I did a lot to enhance my sleep, I am wake and full of energy all day long of 8 hours of sleep!
In the morning the curtains and blinds automatically open. (Easy setup with an Arduino board)
Oh wow! You got to post some pictures of that, sound amazing!
Windows or doors open for airflow. (CO2 pools around your face at night)
Do you leave windows and doors open all night? Do you have some plants in your dorm room, so they produce some oxygen?
I'm trying "Oil Pulling."
Any results or expierences untill now?
What kind of impact have you noticed here?
It`s simply amazing. To exchange with people who think similar on a very deep level. Getting very honest and straight forward feedback. What pushes me most from the Mastermind group is the accountability part. At the end of each meeting goals for the next meetings are set. As the whole group is very energized and motivated, typically the targets are set very high.This assures a good work ethic through all the week because you do not want to the one who did not achieve his targets. On the other side, everyone wants to set their targets as high as possible to impress the group. The effect is that the group is pushing all its members to their limits. Great!

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018
I take Modafinil and drink 2 cups of coffee per day
What lead you to smart drugs? Do you feel any Side Effects? Or do you suffer from narcolepsy?
On top of that I have to meditate for 25 mins in the morning
What kind of meditation technic do you use?

Good sleep
Good diet
Daily exercise

@Bon Appetit Is it possible that you read Tucker Max's book, Mate?

Anyway, I just think you're bound to get a lot of different responses on specific activities/tips here but the consistent portion will be a solid routine built on other good habits (e.g., the specific type of bed matters less than it being of high quality with a consistent bed time).
That is a very good point.
I think that @ApparentHorizon summed it up very well:
What's important is that we keep testing.

Last edited:

Bon Appetit

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jan 19, 2018
Paris, France
@Gunther Herzog Hi, no I haven’t read Tucker Max’s book, never hear of it actually.

I got those informations a little bit from various articles on internet. Also, as a poker player, I read about mental which is really important in this game. You have to develop your focusing power and have a rested clear mind to take correct decisions. So as a poker player I really need to optimize the mental aspect by being consistent on having good diet, sleep and doing exercise.

Meditation is recommanded but I don’t do any, never try.

Other thing you can try and which is easy to do, you can implement break when you are working, every 90min-120min. Take a 30 min break, disconnect with what you are doing, take a short nap or walk around, anything that not ask you brain effort. You will work more efficiently just by doing this.

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Oh wow! You got to post some pictures of that, sound amazing!

https://i.imgur.com/gkcIyDI.gif

This is basically how it's setup but with drapes covering the motor

Do you leave windows and doors open all night? Do you have some plants in your dorm room, so they produce some oxygen?

24/7 with the exception of peak winter months. (Dec - Jan)

It's fairly warm year round here in the South East US. And there's a mesh screen to keep out bugs.

I remember reading that a plant or two don't have significant impact on oxygen and co2 levels within your house. But that's not a bad idea to test out. At the very least to see if there are any psychological benefits.

For example, just looking out your window to the grass and trees has been shown to reduce anxiety. So I wonder if that has similar effects indoors.

Any results or expierences untill now?

I'm 1 week in, and the minimum recommended time is 20 days.

So far nothing noticeable related to the digestive system. Perhaps due to having a good diet to begin with.

Breath is definitely better. I don't floss as much as I should, so this is a great substitute. Especially since you can get work done while doing it.

In a surprise discovery, breathing through the nose seems better. I'm not sure if it's actually from bacteria regulation or the increased bloodflow in the face. (Working those cheek muscles)

It`s simply amazing. To exchange with people who think similar on a very deep level. Getting very honest and straight forward feedback. What pushes me most from the Mastermind group is the accountability part. At the end of each meeting goals for the next meetings are set. As the whole group is very energized and motivated, typically the targets are set very high.This assures a good work ethic through all the week because you do not want to the one who did not achieve his targets. On the other side, everyone wants to set their targets as high as possible to impress the group. The effect is that the group is pushing all its members to their limits. Great!

That's interesting. The masterminds I've been part of were solely for tactics and strategies.

How did you guys first start out?

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018
https://i.imgur.com/gkcIyDI.gif
This is basically how it's setup but with drapes covering the motor
Looks cool, but it doesn`t turn the room pitch black does it?
It's fairly warm year round here in the South East US. And there's a mesh screen to keep out bugs.
Intresting, like this, you sure got the oxygen high enough all the time, but isn`t it to hot to sleep then? 60 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal, do you have these temperatures?

I'm 1 week in, and the minimum recommended time is 20 days.
How about now?

How did you guys first start out?
I am not proud of that, but back then I was a money chaser. We just wanted to make money. So we met each week, until we had an idea.

Other thing you can try and which is easy to do, you can implement break when you are working, every 90min-120min. Take a 30 min break, disconnect with what you are doing, take a short nap or walk around, anything that not ask you brain effort. You will work more efficiently just by doing this.
Thank you for your input!

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Looks cool, but it doesn`t turn the room pitch black does it?

With drapes it does. My bedroom doesn't face any close artificial light sources. Maybe when it's a full moon and clear sky, it could be noticeable around the edges. Thought, if yours does, look into "blackout" drapes.

Intresting, like this, you sure got the oxygen high enough all the time, but isn`t it to hot to sleep then? 60 and 68 degrees Fahrenheit is optimal, do you have these temperatures?

There's a 100+ yr old tree that covers my bedroom exactly, so it doesn't have the chance to warm up during the day. June/July I may have the ceiling fan on, but it's comfortable. It's not for most people though. When parents are visiting they need the AC at 75°F, or they won't stop complaining lol

How about now?

- Teeth are 1-2 shades lighter. Though that may be from the extra brushing session.
- You know those little yellow-ish lines near the gums that are impossible to get when brushing? Completely gone
- Best thing it does is kill bacteria. Better breath throughout the day, especially if you hate flossing. Thought it's not a complete substitute.
- Easier to breathe throughout the day

I am not proud of that, but back then I was a money chaser. We just wanted to make money. So we met each week, until we had an idea.

Most people start out that way. I started with complete selfish reasons helping charities. Even if they didn't pay anything.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Sleep & lift.

Not much else to it after that IMO. I think miracle morning overcomplicates things. Might be an unpopular opinion. My best days are when I wake up after good sleep (7-8 hours) & go directly to the gym & lift heavy a$$ weight & then get after it. Wake up time is irrelevant (although I wake up at 4:30AM). Just do the work.

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018
With drapes it does. My bedroom doesn't face any close artificial light sources. Maybe when it's a full moon and clear sky, it could be noticeable around the edges. Thought, if yours does, look into "blackout" drapes.
I can`t realy imagine how you did that with drapes, mind taking a picture of your setup?

There's a 100+ yr old tree that covers my bedroom exactly, so it doesn't have the chance to warm up during the day. June/July I may have the ceiling fan on, but it's comfortable. It's not for most people though. When parents are visiting they need the AC at 75°F, or they won't stop complaining lol
Have you tried to sleep at 60°F? I personally always make sure that my bedroom is cold, and if it isn`t it`s really messing up my sleep.

- Teeth are 1-2 shades lighter. Though that may be from the extra brushing session.
- You know those little yellow-ish lines near the gums that are impossible to get when brushing? Completely gone
- Best thing it does is kill bacteria. Better breath throughout the day, especially if you hate flossing. Thought it's not a complete substitute.
- Easier to breathe throughout the day

Oh Wow! That sound great! I know those yellow-ish lines. Sounds very intresting overall.
How does it kill becteria?

Most people start out that way. I started with complete selfish reasons helping charities. Even if they didn't pay anything.
What did you do exactly? Would you mind sharing that story?

Funny enough i wanted to try something similar back then.

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
I can`t realy imagine how you did that with drapes, mind taking a picture of your setup?

It's basically a hook on a rail with a motorized chain

I'll see if I can get to it tonight

Have you tried to sleep at 60°F? I personally always make sure that my bedroom is cold, and if it isn`t it`s really messing up my sleep.

You guys have a proper winter there so you're used to it.

But there's truth behind sleeping in colder rooms. Your core temp has to go down before you fall asleep.

Oh Wow! That sound great! I know those yellow-ish lines. Sounds very intresting overall.
How does it kill becteria?

There's an acidic compound that dissolves them. But it's not strong enough to dissolve your teeth like an orange or soda.

What did you do exactly? Would you mind sharing that story?

Funny enough i wanted to try something similar back then.

Just offered my services for free to pad my portfolio. The plan was to do few quick jobs, and move on. But years later, I'm still helping them. Funny how that works.

I'd definitely recommend reaching out to 1-2 charities, regardless of what stage in your biz you're at.

Solrac

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Jul 6, 2014
Florida
Dear @Solrac

Have you ever tried the miracle morning yourself?
I have. I'm not the best use case, I've been a pretty disciplined person for a long time. When I got it I was already waking up at 5AM everyday for over a year.

I think it's great to sell you on waking up early, but that's all I think it does. Please keep in mind my "unique" situation.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.