The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What comes first: Validation or preparation?

eTox

Expect success, but prepare to fail.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
May 21, 2016
Toronto
An interesting thought came to my mind and I just can't seem to decide.

What comes first: validation of an idea or the preparation, the research part?

I just don't know. It seems from my experience that I have to do a little of preparation before I could validate the idea, but then again when I validate the idea, I may be wrong or too optimistic because I have not gotten enough data first.

Or is validation just part of preparation? What's your take on this and how have you done in the past?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Validation: You can't really prepare if you don't know what you're preparing for.

Stevenfresh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 11, 2014
I have a question regarding validation.

As someone applying for a physician assistant program, the area of healthcare is a place where I want to solve a pain point. Currently, I'm a volunteer at a hospital emergency room once/week and as volunteers we're not really in a position to develop close relations with the providers. They're constantly on the move, and we volunteers simply clean and prepare rooms for new patients so we're basically the lowest ranking people in the area. I'd like to get some advice on how I can figure out what one of their problems is (or the hospital administration) that I could solve through a business. Coming up with an idea and validating it have been a huge sticking point for me.

ZeroToOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
May 6, 2017
KS
As someone applying for a physician assistant program, the area of healthcare is a place where I want to solve a pain point. Currently, I'm a volunteer at a hospital emergency room once/week and as volunteers we're not really in a position to develop close relations with the providers. They're constantly on the move, and we volunteers simply clean and prepare rooms for new patients so we're basically the lowest ranking people in the area. I'd like to get some advice on how I can figure out what one of their problems is (or the hospital administration) that I could solve through a business. Coming up with an idea and validating it have been a huge sticking point for me.

I've worked with healthcare organizations, including hospitals, for about 15 years and there are certainly plenty of problems to solve in that space. In the U.S. (can't speak to other countries), I think hospital providers are the wrong people to look to for ideas. Instead, are there any problems you can solve that would make your own job easier? Any efficiencies or processes you can identify that would help other PAs and aspiring PAs? Is there any equipment that could be made better?

Stevenfresh

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Nov 11, 2014
I've worked with healthcare organizations, including hospitals, for about 15 years and there are certainly plenty of problems to solve in that space. In the U.S. (can't speak to other countries), I think hospital providers are the wrong people to look to for ideas. Instead, are there any problems you can solve that would make your own job easier? Any efficiencies or processes you can identify that would help other PAs and aspiring PAs? Is there any equipment that could be made better?

Thanks for the reply. I'm just a volunteer so my job there is just wiping down the furniture in the ER rooms and remaking the beds when people are discharged. When I go next time I'll try and pay attention for any complaints/opportunities. In another post someone suggested the idea of smoothing the process of medical supply contracts between GPO's, hospitals, and vendors. Any idea on the best way to get a hold of these folks in the hospital in a non-pushy way? I've cold emailed some folks with supply management titles in my area but haven't really gotten any responses.

ZeroToOne

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
May 6, 2017
KS
Any idea on the best way to get a hold of these folks in the hospital in a non-pushy way?

Just use some good old fashioned networking. Reach out to people on LinkedIn, and strike up a conversation with any administrators you happen to bump into. Most of the healthcare clients I gained early on came from recommendations from non-healthcare people.

Also, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with being a little more direct if you have a solution to their problems.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.