The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Reading Sugar, Salt, Fat by Michael Moss

A nice deep look into big-agriculture. They might as well be drug dealers.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0812982193/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

I do think that the Fastlane "control" is very compatible with the "surrendering control" of M. Singer. What's your thoughts on that?

I really enjoyed the book. Lots of books above mention stoicism, I think it is more in line with that, rather than trying to control everything. . . about letting life guide you with what it gives, as opposed to fighting everything.

I will probably read the book again. One of the things I struggle with is the realization that I can't control everything...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I am currently reading the following:
  • Winning by Jack Welch, Suzy Welch
  • 33 Strategies of War by Robert Greene
  • The Goal by Eliyahu M. (This one is on the back-burner until I finish reading the two above.)
P.S. With an Audible subscription now, they have an Audible Plus catalog which basically allows you to listen to a HUUUUGE collection of audiobooks for free (With your Audible subscription). And it's not a collection of random or unheard of books. There are popular books! Previously I was buying 2-3 books a month, costing me about $30-50 each month for extra credits. But with this new Audible Plus catalog and unlimited free books, this has made my membership much more worth it and I'm much more willing to remain as a paying customer.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 19, 2018
Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy. I bought it on the title alone and am only a few chapters in, but it's perfectly consistent with fastlane principles. MJ himself could have written it.

In a nutshell, your personality isn't who you are but a temporary facade and is constantly changing. With deliberate effort, you can change it even faster and in a way you control. Personality tests are mostly nonsense and are very limiting if taken too seriously. Those who try to act in accordance with their "authentic" selves and only do what comes naturally are stuck in a fixed mindset rather than a growth mindset. Having a sense of purpose makes it possible to do the uncomfortable and painful things to grow into the type of person you wish to become. Think less of yourself and more of the value you can provide to others. And so on. Highly recommended.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Personality Isn't Permanent by Benjamin Hardy. I bought it on the title alone and am only a few chapters in, but it's perfectly consistent with fastlane principles. MJ himself could have written it.

In a nutshell, your personality isn't who you are but a temporary facade and is constantly changing. With deliberate effort, you can change it even faster and in a way you control. Personality tests are mostly nonsense and are very limiting if taken too seriously. Those who try to act in accordance with their "authentic" selves and only do what comes naturally are stuck in a fixed mindset rather than a growth mindset. Having a sense of purpose makes it possible to do the uncomfortable and painful things to grow into the type of person you wish to become. Think less of yourself and more of the value you can provide to others. And so on. Highly recommended.

Looks very compelling...

To back up what you said (without having read this book) I will add this:

Fixed mindset types, my personality is X,Y, or Z, get stuck in a rut — never growing, never evolving and always doing the same things over and over, while expecting different results. Boxes serve one purpose— to contain and limit. When you put yourself in a box, you contain and limit your growth. Period.

Box: I’m not a person who reads books.
Box: I’m not a public speaker.
Box: I’m not a person who plays board games.
Box: I’m not someone who likes going to the gym.
Box: I’m not X, Y, or Z because of A, B, or C.
Box: I’m not good at X (of course your aren’t, you never tried, and never worked hard at it)
Box: I'm not a good people person.
Box: I'm not a good writer.
Box: I'm not an entrepreneur.
Box: I'm not a good saver.

Get rid of the damn boxes you’ve put around yourself. They’re weak excuses to continue forward on the same behavioral paths that got you where you’re at. They're excuses so you can remain comfortably miserable.

You can evolve into whomever you want with the right effort, discipline, and purpose.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
You can evolve into whomever you want with the right effort, discipline, and purpose.

I have a theory on this. It’s pretty simple. Our mind is made up mostly of 3D cognitive structures that have different classes and types. And they imitate atomic chemical structures like CO2 or Salt but with definitions, axioms and propositions. They endeavor to persist in their structure like bacteria and viruses. This is where denial, resistance and unawareness come from. Just like a bacteria cell tries to hide itself from your white blood cells. These negative cognitive structure ecosystems try to hide themselves from our awareness. They can be manipulated and superseded and identified with awareness. The immune system of our mind. Then it works in your favor where your identity and personality reject negative behaviors instead of favor them.

Mr.Valentino784

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 17, 2020
St Vincent and the Grenadines
Just
How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong​
This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.​
The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.​
Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.​
Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .​
Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,​
By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman
Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant​
Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager​
Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.​
What are you reading?
Just read The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Rabby

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Aug 26, 2018
Florida
The Mirror of Simple Souls, Marguerite Porete. She was burned at the stake in 1310 for publishing it, alas.

Humility, who is keeper of the treasury of
Knowledge
And the mother of the other Virtues,
Must overtake you.

Synchronicity, C. G. Jung. A delightfully misunderstood text on acausal connections.

The causality principle asserts that the connection beetween cause and effect is a necessary one. The synchronicity principle asserts that the terms of a meaningful coincidence are connected by simultaneity and meaning.

Last edited:

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I'm currently reading:

My Life and Work
By: Henry Ford , Samuel Crowther

But I've recently added the following to my library that I'm excited to start reading:
  • The Autobiography of Andrew Carnegie and The Gospel of Wealth
    By: Andrew Carnegie
  • The Completed Autobiography by Benjamin Franklin
    By: Mark Skousen
  • The Practicing Stoic
    By: Ward Farnsworth
  • Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism
    By: Fumio Sasaki , Eriko Sugita

Honestly, at first I didn't find any interest in autobiographies. But after forcing myself to listen to Titan: The Life of John D. Rockefeller, Sr. I started to gain interest in these types of books. Rather than just thinking, "Why am I listening to this man's life... boring.." I'm approaching it as, "Hmm, so this person did this and this, learn this and that, to get to this place in their life. How can I apply this to my life?" I typically read books and try to apply them to my own life, but I never knew why I hadn't taken the same principle and applied it to autobiographies.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Just

Just read The Art of War by Sun Tzu
I read it too, and I must admit I was disappointed because so many said it taught skills relevant to business, life, or whatever but it’s literally combat tactics.
Some of them could be extrapolated to competitive practices or negotiations but overall, it wasn’t as relevant as I expected. But idk! What was your take on Art of War?

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
Business: Scientific Advertising - Apparently, it's a must read, and I must say that it is like fresh, old wind in between reading the newer stuff of marketing gurus.

For fun: The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick - PKDs take on mysticism and gnosticism heavily resonates with me, and I made a lot of similar experiences.

Jazzcat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jan 3, 2013
Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex
Start Up Stories: Lessons For Everyday Entrepreneurs - Steven Phelan

A read and discuss book with my nephew..he is still in high school (grade 11)...he found it and wants to chat about it...I'm encouraged.

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Trying to decide between...

The Book on Negotiating Real Estate

SPIN Selling

The Compound Effect

Built to Sell

Getting to Yes

Anybody wanna weigh in? The critical path for me right now is reaching out my existing network trying to get my biz off the ground.
The Compound Effect is great

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Since I’ve not been the best goal setter in the past, am currently reading Goals! by Brian Tracy. It’s good and I’d recommend it

Alleghenyman

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Nov 18, 2019

You made me get Storyworthy from Audible and I’ve been enjoying it so far. As a young man I wanted to be a writer but I struggled to find a story I wanted to tell. As a grown up I’m realizing how much of what we do every day depends on providing a narrative sequence that resonates with our audience.

OneLife

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 8, 2019
Israel
Limitless: Upgrade Your Brain, Learn Anything Faster, And Unlock Your Exceptional Life

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
About to begin Start with why by Simon Sinek. Been looking forward to this one for some time now.

Mr.Valentino784

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Aug 17, 2020
St Vincent and the Grenadines
I will be honest majority of the advice that books has is tactics about warfare and about life. But an old saying goes pick sense out of nonsense, you can use some of those strategies in business once you understand the book properly.
I read it too, and I must admit I was disappointed because so many said it taught skills relevant to business, life, or whatever but it’s literally combat tactics.
Some of them could be extrapolated to competitive practices or negotiations but overall, it wasn’t as relevant as I expected. But idk! What was your take on Art of War?
will

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I just finished reading My Life and Work by Henry Ford. I highly recommend this book. And I’m close to finishing Goodbye, Things by Fumio Sasaki.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
You made me get Storyworthy from Audible and I’ve been enjoying it so far. As a young man I wanted to be a writer but I struggled to find a story I wanted to tell. As a grown up I’m realizing how much of what we do every day depends on providing a narrative sequence that resonates with our audience.

Glad to hear that.

Stories are everywhere. And they are powerful.

His homework for life has been a game changer for me. I have many moment I was able to see. And I wouldn't have paid attention to them before that. That alone is invaluable.

Pink Sheep

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
93%
Apr 29, 2019
Almost done with "Permanent Record" scary book about Ed Snowden, and America's political power. Would recommend if you're interested in the secret state

Madame Peccato

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Jul 14, 2018
Morbegno, Italy
I finished Ovid's Metamorphoses recently. A few good scenes, but it gets a bit repetitive.

Well yeah the superior latin Metamorphoses book is this one :cool:

Currently I am reading "Deskbound - Standing Up to a Sitting World" by Kelly Starrett, J. Starrett, and G. Cordoza; I am also reading "Dracula" by Brahm Stoker.

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Some recommendations:
Business:
The Innovator's Spirit by Chuck Swoboda
Winning now, Winning Later by David M. Cote

The Morning Mind by Rob Carter III, PhD, MPH and Dr. Kirti Salwe Carter, MBBS, MPH

Spiritual:

The Urban Monk by Pedram Shojai
The Impersonal Life by Joseph S. Benner (1914). A bit more challenging of a read.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness - Kindle edition by Jorgenson, Eric, Butcher, Jack, Ferriss, Tim. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness

almanack_of_naval_ravikant.jpg

By far the best book I've read this year so far. So much knowledge on wealth, happiness and philosophy. And so much more to dig into after reading the book (a LOT of great resources in the bonus section).

Highly, highly recommended. I feel very introspective now.

JamesQB8

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Mar 20, 2019
The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness - Kindle edition by Jorgenson, Eric, Butcher, Jack, Ferriss, Tim. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

The Almanack of Naval Ravikant: A Guide to Wealth and Happiness

almanack_of_naval_ravikant.jpg

By far the best book I've read this year so far. So much knowledge on wealth, happiness and philosophy. And so much more to dig into after reading the book (a LOT of great resources in the bonus section).

Highly, highly recommended. I feel very introspective now.
+1 for Anything by Naval. I love his twitter feed and any podcast he's in.

I added this to my reading list, downloaded it to my kindle and made a note to start reading it tomorrow earlier today. Now I will start reading it after I hit post on this reply :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.