The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

Kennypaul

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Mar 19, 2018
Nigeria
Sounds like it has a similar theme to that for TFLF and UNSCRIPTED .

Any pointers the book has that the Fastlane duo don't?
Although I just started.So far,I've only come across a few pointers that the duo don't have.It's not as detailed as the duo but it shows similarities and most things "fastlaners" are aware of.Good book though!.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
18145362.jpg

This book changed me.
I read his earlier work "Love yourself like your life depended on it" and it was mildly useful for changing my self-talk and engaging some more self-respect/conviction, but it was just that, mild. Here Kamal managed to find the perfect g-spot between truth, hopes, life, and carrying on that gifted me a peace that I hadn't had since I read Herman Hesse's "Siddartha" when I was 19. I can tangibly feel that things will work out, and things will especially workout once I leave my gig to put all my effort into my venture.
Highly recommended, and this is free with a kindle unlimited subscription.

51WsiRh6qxL._SY346_.jpg

Completely solid book that I would recommend to anyone in a heart beat. It's a relatively short read but well layed out and sprinkled with anecdotes that help you latch onto the meaning and the process of getting over fears. Interestingly enough, author has ties to Kamal Ravikant and James Altucher.

41NgDlAQYSL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Another critical book; People like Peterson would want you to believe that learned helplessness and pessism (and it's counterpart [mild-servere]-depression are innate and not easily overcome without a prescription course and multiples of psychiatrist visits.
In "Learned optimism" Seligman shows you decades of research, much of it his own; and how he could produce lasting, powerful results in mere weeks. He also shows statistics and evidence on how optimists are almost always more successful, higher-earners, and much more healthy; and also stories of people who started as poor-performing pessimists or depressed people that were re-trained and let loose back out into the world to success. This book helped me understand a bit more of the "Blind, reality distorting optimism streak" I see come up again and again with all successful entrepreneurs from Trump to Branson to Jobs; and I'm re-engineering my beliefs to adopt some more of this magic.
Glad Tony Robbins mentioned this in "Awaken the giant within" which I'm back to reading now.

Stay frosty and get at it y'all

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Apr 2, 2019
Making my way through “War of Art” as a recommendation from a fellow FLF member. Amazing read for authors and wannabe authors!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
f7bba69f-f943-48bc-a72c-145b25b44910_1.50d25a1be357c1024ebca8b3151f686d.jpeg

The things Stevey-boy did and inspired people to do while changing the landscape of human communication and experience not once or even twice but 4 times over can make you feel smaller than an ant.
I'm at an utter loss about what I can even do right now, in the face of this man's fight and this man's generational legacy.

Last edited:

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA
Just finished reading Think Like a Champion: An Informal Education in Business and Life by D. Trump and started The Million-Dollar One-Person Business by E. Pofeldt, which is excellent.

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
The Million-Dollar One-Person Business by E. Pofeldt, which is excellent.
Tell us what you think, it can be pretty redundant if you've read 4hr work week and 100$ startup imo; the resources section does have some useful nuggets despite that.

SJuan9

Patrón
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Nov 22, 2017
USA
Tell us what you think, it can be pretty redundant if you've read 4hr work week and 100$ startup imo; the resources section does have some useful nuggets despite that.

I find that the concrete examples given throughout the book are great applicable guides to starting a business with minimal resources, especially for people fully transitioning from an 'stable' career job to a self-run venture without getting into the pitfalls that most small business owners get into. It also sheds a good amount of light on the process the showcased entrepreneurs went through to establish themselves in different fields

In my case, its aided me in making the process of launching less daunting, helped clarify some of my goals, and evaporated several limiting beliefs. Pretty good a for a $10 and 4hr investment.

Jm10k

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Apr 16, 2019
Bronx, NY
I decided to pick up the book, "the art of learning" by Josh Waitzkin.
The book is not your typical self-help book but is a great nonfiction book of the learning process. I came across this book after I read "unscripted " and realized, I have a fixed mindset which has contributed to my failures in life.

Last edited:

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
I decided to pick up the book, "the art of learning" by Josh Waitzkin.
The book is not your typical self-help book but is a great nonfiction book of the learning process. I came across this book after I read "unscripted " and realized, I have a fixed mindset which has contributed to my failures in life.
Good deal, I just picked it up yesterday; I've been meaning to read it for about 3 years now but finally bit the bullet.
Was scared that it was 200 pages of braggadocio and conjecture, but it has solid nuggets within it's pages.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I have a few balls bouncing...

The Road To Serfdom. FA Hayek.

Bad Blood Secrets and Lies of a Silicon Valley Startup. Carreyrou

The Reason for God; belief in the age of skepticism. Timothy Keller

All three of these are fascinating and are making me smarter.

Have you completed any of them so far? I'd like your opinion on some of them.
I recently finished The Reason for God; belief in the age of skepticism and I'm currently listening to Bad Blood Secrets and Lies of a Silicon Valley Startup. This one is crazy! Crazy how she's not in jail yet as they're waiting for their decision. After this book, I'm going to read The Road To Serfdom.

Sanj Modha

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
315%
Feb 16, 2016
In Your Newsfeed
f7bba69f-f943-48bc-a72c-145b25b44910_1.50d25a1be357c1024ebca8b3151f686d.jpeg

The things Steve-boy did and effected and inspired people to do while changing the landscape of human communication and experience not once or even twice but 4 times over can make you feel smaller than an ant.
I'm at an utter loss about what I can even do right now, in the face of this man's fight and this man's generational legacy.

Fabulous book! I loved it.

I need to re-read it again.

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Apr 2, 2019
Just finished “War of Art.” An incredible read for any struggling self publishers!

Thanks to @Wiggly0607 for the recommendation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
1*wBm-i7VOkox5OmkSXhwFyg.png

Listening to this again, because having MJ tell me I'm a wantrepreneur scrub and how to build something that people want and how to make sure it provides freedom for a lifetime is always a good commuting theme.
I like that I'm internalizing more TUNEF and productocracy principles but, just like MJ calls out in the book; I feel restrained to inaction for something that's both 1)good 2)I can start on with my current skillset.

220px-Trump_the_art_of_the_deal.jpg

I read this for persuasion and not for the business aspects the first time, picked it up on audible for the business and "I do whatever the F*ck I want" aspects this time around

Last edited:

rynor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Mar 15, 2019
Orlando, FL
Hi rynor. What is your opinion until now of the book? I know that was plubleshed in 2002. The concepts described in the book are still relevant for 2019?

Hi Alex. I'm still reading the book, but can say that the ideas and concepts are still relevant today. The new edition was published in 2009 so it's a little more up-to-date in terms of the technology and references used.

Insidious

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 3, 2019
Asheville, NC
In the middle of (in no particular order):
Plutarch's Lives Vol. 3 - I find a little historical perspective useful. Juices the gratitude for the time we live in if nothing else. Available @ Project Gutenberg

The Birth of Tragedy (Friedrich Nietzsche) - A couple of pages of Nietzsche in the morning gives my mind something to chew on all day.

The Second Self (Sherry Turkle) - The impact of the age of computers on human psychology and sense of self.

Vision To Reality (Honoree Corder) - A skim read for key concepts before tossing the book.

Manage Your Day-to-Day (Jocelyn K. Glei) - A collection of writings from a lot of 'current thinkers' on work & life. Seems somewhat aimed at artists, but there's also lots of stuff about time management and productivity. As usual, aimed at sidewalkers, but useful for independents as well. Many of the short articles I've read before, but it's a nice reminder/reference.

Bruce Lee Striking Thoughts (Bruce Lee) - A somewhat uneven collection of aphorisms. Compiled after his death, so it contains both 'thoughts' original to him, and notes that he took. If you're widely read you'll notice where the editor (?) doesn't realize that Lee is simply taking note of something someone else said, without comment or reflection.

Puck of Pook's Hill (Rudyard Kipling) - Damn can Kipling write! Available @ Project Gutenberg. There's a Kipling poem you might want to look up, it's called 'The Gods of the Copybook Headings'.

Starting a Successful Business from Scratch (William D. Poynter) - Title says it. Not sure about this one yet.

Recently finished:
Unscripted (MJ DeMarco) - The examples from this forum's community lead me here.

Plutarch's Lives Vol. 2 - Notice a trend?

The 5 Love Languages (Gary Chapman) - Worthwhile if you're in a relationship or not. Also, you've gotta give this guy props for the money machine this 'idea' is. Take a look at the sales numbers and niche markets he's reaching. A good example of SOWING for a long time (as a therapist) and then using that domain expertise to REAP millions.

Goodbye, Things: The New Japanese Minimalism (Fumio Sasaki) - Halfway between how-to and philosophy. Worth a read for the reminder to be mindful about what you (really) want, and not to fall into 'things' as social ego displays. Also good to remember that you, and your desires change, so your pile of things should too.

Play On: The New Science of Elite Performance At Any Age (Jeff Bercovici) - Was looking for cutting edge info on body maintenance and improvement. While there were a few things that were new to me, generally this is a neophyte surveying experts and tying together their info with stories about himself (kinda boring IMO).

The Pocket Guide to Action: 116 Meditations On The Art of Doing (Kyle Eschenroeder) - This has been published as a book, but it's also available on one of his websites for free if you want to take a look. Good stuff from someone else on the entrepreneurial journey. Kyle has a couple of 'deep thought' articles you should take a look at.

In the Queue (subject to change!):
Left Of Bang (Patrick Van Horne)
Can't Hurt Me (David Goggins)
Zorba The Greek (Nikos Kazantzakis)
The Warrior Ethos (Steven Pressfield)
Finite and Infinite Games (James Carse)
The Liberator (Alex Kershew)

Yes. I like to read. =)

mn4life

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
May 7, 2019
Minneapolis, MN
This year I have read:

-How to Win Friends and Influence People
-The Richest Man in Babylon
-Tribes
-The 5 Second Rule
-Tribe of Mentors
-The Millionaire Fastlane
-Shoe Dog
-Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep
-The Power of Habit
-How to Change Minds

If you like audio I would recommend getting the Libby app where you can rent free audio books from your local library. I also have Blinklist which is a app where you can either listen to or read the main points of a book, like cliff notes.

How this thread works... when you start reading a new book, you update it here. It’s nice to have a log of what everyone on the forum is reading and i’m sure it will spark discussions and recommendations.

I’m also creating the Fastlane Bookclub on Goodreads where you can share what you’re reading, add your favorites, and talk about books. I haven’t explored all the features, but I’m sure there’s a bunch of stuff we’ll benefit from. Join the group!

So, Currently I’m reading

View attachment 21438

Persuasive Advertising: Evidence-based Principles by J. Scott Armstrong

This book translates knowledge about persuasion into evidence-based principles. Useful knowledge about persuasion has been obtained over the last 100 years from the experience of advertising experts and from empirical studies in advertising and other fields including psychology, consumer behavior, law, mass communication, politics, and propaganda.

The principles in Persuasive Advertising provide understandable and easy-to-access guidance for all types of advertising. Including still media such as print and Internet, and motion media such as TV, streaming video, Internet, and radio. They also apply to other types of persuasive communications such as management reports, speeches, and press releases.

Wharton School Professor J. Scott Armstrong spent over 16 years on this book. In recent years, he was assisted by Gerry Lukeman, Chairman Emeritus of Ipsos-ASI and Sandeep Patnaik, Research Director at Gallup and Robinson. Altogether, more than 80 people contributed to Persuasive Advertising by obtaining relevant studies, analyzing data, editing and reviewing, and surveying researchers to ensure that the book correctly summarizes their findings.

Persuasive Advertising summarizes findings from about 3,000 empirical studies and 50 books. It also presents new findings from previously unpublished studies. .

Along with the AdPrin Audit software on AdPrin.com, Persuasive Advertising enables advertisers as well as agencies to quickly and inexpensively identify ways to improve ads – or to determine which of a set of ads will be most effective. For example, it typically requires about an hour for an experienced user to obtain a persuasiveness index for a print ad along with a list of ways to improve the ad.,

By using these principles, advertisers can improve their creativity and effectiveness.​

And

View attachment 21439

Hack Your Motivation: Over 50 Science-Based Strategies to Improve Performance by Bobby Hoffman

Finally!!!! Evidence-based research on motivation that's written in an engaging, humorous, easy-to-read style!"--Karen, Performance & Leadership Consultant

Bobby masterfully bridges the gap between research and practice by applying high quality motivational research to everyday life."--David, Master Educator **"This book is not easy to put down. You will find yourself often referring back to its pages. The a-ha moments will cascade in."--Glenn, Team Leader & Operations Manager

Hack Your Motivation gives you the latest and most reliable performance tools and tips to help you reach your personal or profession goals. Written by motivational scientist and leadership consultant Dr. Bobby Hoffman, this book converts hard-core research from psychology, business, athletics, neuroscience, and education into easy-to-read and simple-to-master strategies. Hoffman includes unorthodox examples from his own life and the lives of others to enlighten, inspire, and amuse ---so anyone can learn to maximize their untapped potential. If achieving glory, feeling good about your accomplishments, or understanding why you do what you do (or don't do) is important to you, then look no further.
What are you reading?

1step

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
231%
Dec 4, 2012
Kentucky
Peterman Rides Again

Just started last night so not sure on it yet but I think @AllenCrawley recommended this to me so it must be good

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Good Profit by Charles Koch

This was one of the most profound books that I have ever read. I am throwing it in the top books that I plan to read multiple times. It really put into words a lot of things that I feel about business but never knew how to express.

This is an absolute must read for anyone who has plans for big business. An absolute must.

OliverR

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
238%
Jan 28, 2012
EU
Just finished "Good to Great" by Jim Collins. A classic still very relevant today. Give it 5/5

Guest921Y

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Apr 2, 2019
One day I want my book to be the one that someone here is reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hydemx

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jul 20, 2018
Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
by Chris Voss

StrikingViper69

Shredding scales and making sales
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 3, 2018
UK
I'm taking a break from business books - I was doing a lot of action faking with them. Now my reading list is:

Harmony - Walter Piston
Counterpoint - JJ Fux
Once I complete those, I'll finish "an introduction to tonal theory" by Weissgard.
Finished an online course to compose in ternary form and will be taking one to deal with sonata form in a month or two.

Working on applying all this knowledge and writing as I go.

I can work faster and better at writing music now... got some way to go before I can approach Mozart's skill of writing a complete piece in an afternoon, but that's the target!

Siddhartha

Pleasure Operator
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Mar 30, 2019
18872437._UY474_SS474_.jpg

Reading TMF again to follow up Unscripted ; I'm still so surprised MJ could put two rich, dense books together like this. Here's to Internalizing fastlane and Unscripted principles and making something great out of this life [emoji122]

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!