The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What book are you reading? Right now. Post up!

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
How are you liking it so far?
Thanks! I took it from your discomfort club books. And I’m loving it. So much wisdom.

MrE

Be. Create. Repeat.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jul 26, 2021
Colorado
And now for something completely different.
If you would like a bit of humor and like Monty Python, I highly recommend...
51sHEX0NXJL._SL500_.jpg

It's even better if you have audible version because he narrates and makes himself crack up laughing a couple times. Did you know he got bit by a bunny as a kid?!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks! I took it from your discomfort club books. And I’m loving it. So much wisdom.
finished Breathe, and now onto The Art of Resilience.

It’s hard to listen to these stories and come up with lame excuses why I can’t do something. Surreal. Our minds define what we can and cannot do.
198FE904-E482-4091-A783-3E30DAC98AA6.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
9781609614744.jpg

I really enjoyed his book "A Runner's High." Unfortunately "The Road to Sparta" is way worse. I finished it but it wasn't memorable.

51zOFBECcfL.jpg

Some crazy childhood experiences. It helped me understand a bit more how coming from a f*cked up home can F*ck you up for life. Other than that, an average autobiography.

91M7GY4h-CL.jpg

A lot of wild entrepreneur stories where they put everything on the line. Made me realize that as an introvert I'll probably never have great connections. These guys lived together 24/7 for long years, first four of them, then eighteen of them (their entire team). And all the time they were making calls, having dinners, and making connections. I wouldn't even last a single day doing that.

Other than that, I don't recommend it as a business book. It's more like a memoir but without any memorable lessons other than the fact that if you're a cool extrovert you'll have an easy life.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

David Fitz

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 30, 2020
Ireland
I'm listening to Terry Crews book. It's quite good and delves deep into his past and why he was the way he was. Things started changing for him when he changed his attitude and took pride in doing his job, even cleaning floors.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain

9781585429202_p0_v1_s1200x630.jpg

I've wanted to read this for years so I'm finally doing it. Time to get out of my comfort zone.

My brother-in-law recommended it to me years ago as a way to get into drawing & art. He was a very skilled tattoo artist for over a decade and this book was one of the ways that he learned to draw.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
The Divine Cities trilogy by Robert Jackson Bennett

Soooooo goooood....

Bones81

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jul 29, 2019
1119882656.jpg
A good read on years of back testing options strategies. Some good bits on designing an options portfolio, especially if you're into strangles and iron condors.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
t.jpg

Just finished reading. It features some interesting stories of solopreneurs and/or small businesses that make a lot of money without working a lot. @biophase is also featured in this book.

Main pros: some unique examples of cool businesses and honest experiences including both successes and failures

Main cons: C19 was mentioned on almost every single page - how it affected each business, how it sucked, how they had to adapt, how people's behavior changed, how to protect your business from another C19 blah blah blah. It was so tedious that this book was pretty much destined to fail commercially as it has zero longevity.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
View attachment 43466

Just finished reading. It features some interesting stories of solopreneurs and/or small businesses that make a lot of money without working a lot. @biophase is also featured in this book.

Main pros: some unique examples of cool businesses and honest experiences including both successes and failures

Main cons: C19 was mentioned on almost every single page - how it affected each business, how it sucked, how they had to adapt, how people's behavior changed, how to protect your business from another C19 blah blah blah. It was so tedious that this book was pretty much destined to fail commercially as it has zero longevity.
What was interesting to me in this book is that there were also many businesses that weren't making alot of money relative to their revenue. One wasn't even profitable because they spent so much money on getting customers.

The shocking one to me was the girl running the high end Airbnb. I think she had 14 homes and did $15 million in revenue!

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I like the author but this books is hard to follow when listening while driving. It’s convoluted and requires attention that I can’t provide while focusing on the road. And maybe that’s why I’m finding it boring and quitting on chapter 3. Life’s too short. Can’t do it.

1652577295016.png

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Thanks to @MTF discomfort club, another excellent book highly recommend to any athlete. Great story but also useful and practical info on resilience. Love it and I’m 80% through so far 1652577522054.png

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What was interesting to me in this book is that there were also many businesses that weren't making alot of money relative to their revenue. One wasn't even profitable because they spent so much money on getting customers.

The shocking one to me was the girl running the high end Airbnb. I think she had 14 homes and did $15 million in revenue!

Yes I should have mentioned that providing revenue numbers only made no sense. We're talking about tiny businesses so the only concern should be profit for the owner.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
I like the author but this books is hard to follow when listening while driving. It’s convoluted and requires attention that I can’t provide while focusing on the road. And maybe that’s why I’m finding it boring and quitting on chapter 3. Life’s too short. Can’t do it.

View attachment 43478

I once tried reading his other book and couldn't read it, either. Nassim Taleb has a similar unbearable pseudo-intellectual style.

Thanks to @MTF discomfort club, another excellent book highly recommend to any athlete. Great story but also useful and practical info on resilience. Love it and I’m 80% through so far View attachment 43479

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it! I loved this story and it's one of my favorite genres (combining a narrative with how-to lessons).

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
I once tried reading his other book and couldn't read it, either. Nassim Taleb has a similar unbearable pseudo-intellectual style.
Yes. Smart guys but hard to enjoy their material.
Glad to hear that you're enjoying it! I loved this story and it's one of my favorite genres (combining a narrative with how-to lessons).
latest addition - looking forward to this one:
w1652655492863.png

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
His Joe Rogan episode is great you should listen to it, he speaks so well, so slow and confident and we’ll thought out, I may have to read this book.

View attachment 43478
Jordan Peterson uses so many words and says so little. He sounds smart while you’re listening to him and then you go away and you can’t remember or use a single thing he said because it was just nonsense.

I’m currently reading small giants, by the sounds of things it’s probably a better version of what MTF was reading. The companies aren’t really small, more just privately held and have been grown and had their growth limited in such a way to create a life and business the owner is happy with. Some of them are huge companies, all different industries, it’s great. There’s a general contractor that turns over 200m+ and turns down 90% of jobs, a restaurant owner with like 5 all in the same area, clif bars, a wide range of examples.

So far it’s cool to read about them but I’m not sure on any usable takeaways I’ve gotten.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Jordan Peterson uses so many words and says so little. He sounds smart while you’re listening to him and then you go away and you can’t remember or use a single thing he said because it was just nonsense.
I have a very hard time listening to his books as well. I finished his first book but his latest book I am on chapter 3 and not looking forward to putting it back on.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
endure-hanes-500.jpg

Just finished reading it. It was published today and I read it in pretty much one sitting. He's great friends with Joe Rogan and David Goggins (I imagine it's super hard to impress Goggins). Joe Rogan provided an awesome foreword (I was very impressed and would love to read his own book) and David Goggins provided afterword.

I have to admit the read was uncomfortable to me. Most of the book is about bowhunting and all the animals Cameron Hanes hunted and killed, with lots of photos.

As a vegan and someone who hasn't eaten animals my entire adult life (I became vegetarian around 17 years old and vegan almost two years ago) it wasn't easy to set my opinions aside and try to learn from the man.

And yet I learned some stuff.

As difficult as it is, I think we can all benefit from reading books like that - stuff written by someone who has VERY different views than you do and who makes you uncomfortable. Ultimately, if you keep learning only from people who are exactly like you, you won't grow much.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
51KaMjrfQfL.jpg

Another MMA book that was interesting to read but offered no real life lessons. So it's probably my last book written by a professional fighter.

I thought they would impart some practical wisdom but apart from Rickson Gracie's autobiography the authors of these books tend to talk almost exclusively about how they trained, how they fought, where they fought, how they learned about another fight, etc. It kind of makes sense but it also robs the book of deeper value. Perhaps they don't want to share their weaknesses and so they keep the most valuable thoughts to themselves.

Dan_Cardone

Losers make excuses. Winners find solutions.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
360%
Jul 23, 2019
EB8C1676-2DDD-4E17-87AF-0B743A062810.jpeg

Been doing Paleo for years now and have some friends who went Carnivore and swears it changed their lives.

One started gaining muscle so fast people started wondering if he jumped on roids.

The other dude cured his persistent acid reflux and insomnia.

Both now have amazing skin and claims they feel generally great. I love steak and eggs so… why not?

I’m starting my carnivore diet tomorrow when I go to the grocery store. Figured I would try it for 30 days and see what happens.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
ultra.jpg

What an awesome memoir. It's a story of a guy who was a top model and lived a crazy life among the famous and wealthy. When he realized how empty his life was, he decided to run ultra-marathons. Today he's one of the top ultra-marathoners.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Pretty fitting for our times. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

1653413492199.png

G

Guest-5ty5s4

View attachment 43478
I'd recommend not listening to it. Sit down in a quiet place and read it. But of course it's not everybody's cup of tea.

And yeah, it wasn't super actionable or practical, it just felt very eye-opening/deep... I felt the same way about every philosophy book we read in college, even the "greatest of the greats" weren't very practical or useful. It's just the genre.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
492%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

View attachment 43478
Want to feel really stupid?

Listen to a Frederick Hayek audiobook.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018
Want to feel really stupid?

Listen to a Frederick Hayek audiobook.
When I listen to something I don’t understand, I don’t feel stupid. I feel the author sucks at explaining. :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.