The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What Are Your Thoughts On The Myers Briggs (MBTI) Personality Test?

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
I was just wondering:
What your thoughts are on it?
Which one are you?
Whether it could be a potential tool to be used for hiring a certain type of person during job interviews?
Whether you think certain types lead to more entrepreneurial tendencies?

I got ENTP and it describes my natural personality quite well. I've developed other parts of my personality/skills, but this is what I'm like if I don't bother making the effort to change. I took it on this site: Free personality test, type descriptions, relationship and career advice | 16Personalities

Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 16.54.25.png

Here's what it is if you don't know:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDjCTeRDzY

Thanks!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Colton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
152%
Aug 8, 2017
WA, USA
I was just wondering:
What your thoughts are on it?
Which one are you?
Whether it could be a potential tool to be used for hiring a certain type of person during job interviews?
Whether you think certain types lead to more entrepreneurial tendencies?

I got ENTP and it describes my natural personality quite well. I've developed other parts of my personality/skills, but this is what I'm like if I don't bother making the effort to change. I took it on this site: Free personality test, type descriptions, relationship and career advice | 16Personalities

View attachment 16162

Here's what it is if you don't know:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyDjCTeRDzY

Thanks!
I've taken it before for career testing and it basically just tells you what you are already interested in. The fact that I was able to predict my exact results should be proof that the test itself isn't necessary. I could have just walked into the psych's office and told him I wanted to be an entrepreneur and saved us both some time.

Now, if you are using it as a tool to evaluate other people, that could be a different story, but I'll guess that they will just tell you what you want to hear.

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
Without wanting to derail this in a discussion, I hate it. Scientific evidence has shown over & over again that it makes no sense, yet it has been promoted like hell and the corporate industry took it for granted/abused the stereotype classes in Evert way. I understand the need in our society of putting a label on everyone and everything, but I can only hope that at least the technique hasn't been shot down by science like the MBTI.

The MBTI is an over-simplification and the classes/categories (as with most of these tools) are so high-level that everyone feels linked to a certain classes. You're biased when filling it and biased when interpreting the results. Sadly it was the tool I saw the most within the HR-industry, atleast until HR Analytics and critical development became a standard within hr-research.

G

GuestUser450

Is this your site? If so, awesome.

If not, do you think the people you look up to know their "personality type" because of an app or online quiz? I'd bet they know it from working with real people, making mistakes, offending people and adjusting, not from sharing the results of an app or online quiz.

Better question: Why do online quizzes convert like crazy?

Because personality type quizzes are like zodiac signs or magician hot reads - they're extrapolated half-truths used to carry you to the next step in a funnel and they can't be disputed because it's a subjective reading of your own input. Real personalities change as we grow. So personality tests are never wrong if you can argue they were right at the time of the test. Pretty neat trick.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
A bunch of us took it here a while back. I think that there were a lot of intj's.

yes i am an INTJ as well and this is why i understand the thinking of the masters behind the scenes who are controlling most of you guys

the actual system called society has been managed behind the scenes by others INTJ Mastermind for hundreds of years

the people that i call " the masters " in my posts

with my signature : Masters Vs pawns 1-0

they are initiates in secrets societies.

INTJchess.jpg

this is reality. not BS . INTJs are masters of this world because of their formidable strategic and visionary thinking

here is an interesting quote from a book written by one of these INTJ masters,

intj genius.png

businessbaybee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
303%
Jul 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I got ENFP-T. I think it's pretty accurate for the most part, I find myself typing other people a lot.

First time I took it was in High school for a career/college assessment class, never heard of the test at that point. And I also took it again in college for a career class and got the same result. I have probably taken the test like 15x in my life and always get the same result. In my case, I would say that it's super accurate. But maybe that's just an ENFP thing to say! ;)

I have also taken the enneagram personality test and I find that one to be waaaaay more accurate!

Last edited:

Aaron T

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
345%
Aug 27, 2017
Two thoughts:
1) I am an INTJ by taking the test so I kind of like that..
2) It's kinda BS

Thoelk

Artificial Psycho
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Feb 18, 2014
Belgium
this is reality. not BS . INTJs are masters of this world because of their formidable strategic and visionary thinking

I'm sorry, but "we are the masters, we are masterminds"... really? What kind of self-appraisal & conspiracy bullsh*t is that? No offense to you, but really...? I can write a book about how amazing toiletpaper artists are and - would you have guessed it? - just happened to be a toiletpaper artist myself. Hooray, we're amazing!

Anyway, I said I wasn't going to start a discussion.. but the fact that I have a degree in Psychology, I feel the urge to react :innocent: :halo:.
Faking this test (like almost any personality test with MC-questions) is easy, when you're trained/have a decent EQ. As I said, you're biased when you fill it in & when you read the results... Everyone knows the test, so almost everyone also knows the possible outcomes..

Below an extract of a (non-scientific) article, which gives some insight into 'my' opinion:

13 Reasons Why The Myers-Briggs Test Is Absolute Nonsense

1. It’s a psychological test that wasn’t devised by psychologists.
Neither Isabel Briggs Myers nor Katherine Briggs had any formal psychological training.

2. It relies on hyper-simplistic binaries.
Even renowned psychological theorist Carl Jung, whose writing formed the initial inspiration for the Myers-Briggs test, admitted that terms such as “introvert” and “extrovert” were false dichotomies and entirely too limited to either adequately describe or predict human behavior.

3. Up to half of the people who take the test don’t receive the same results twice.
Up to half of the people who take the test a second time end up with a different personality classification, even if they take it within five weeks of the first test.

4. Actually, make that three-quarters rather than half.
According Annie Murphy Paul’s The Cult of Personality Testing, “as many as three-quarters of test takers achieve a different personality type when tested again…and the sixteen distinctive types described by the Myers-Briggs have no scientific basis whatsoever.”

5. It fails at predicting job performance.
Multiple studies have clearly demonstrated that the MBTI is incapable of accurately predicting job performance.

6. Corporations love it; psychologists don’t.
The test is used by most Fortune 500 corporations, but it is not typically used by professional psychologists.

7. Even a psychologist at the company that issues the test doesn’t swear by it.
Stanford University psychology professor Carl Thoreson, who is on the board of the company that issues the MBTI, has never mentioned the test in the over 150 academic papers he’s published. “I didn’t use it in any of my research,” Thoreson says, “in part because it would be questioned by my academic colleagues.”

8. The National Academy of Arts and Sciences rejects it.
The National Academy of Arts and Sciences conducted a study that concluded that the S-N and T-F scales had little to no validity.

9. There is no scientific way to prove the validity of the test’s terminology.
There is absolutely no scientific basis for the test’s terminology, which has been criticized as “vague and general.”

10. Respondents can either fake their answers or describe themselves inaccurately.
As with all personality tests, it’s easy to fake one’s responses or describe oneself in ways that most others may not perceive you.

11. The test is purely speculative.
There is no way to validate it scientifically.

12. It stereotypes people.
The Army Research Institute has advised that the MBTI should not be used in career counseling and has warned that “the types may simply be an example of stereotypes.”

13. There is little to no evidence to support its claims.
According to a study in Review of Educational Research, “A review of the available literature suggests that there is insufficient evidence to support the tenets of and claims about the utility of the test.”

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
Bullshit. Similar to astrology. General enough to apply to anyone but with a label used, so they feel like they're apart of a group.

With that being said, I'm an ENTP, and it is absolutely accurate!

Side project idea: create a website that randomly generates 16 daily "horoscope" based on MBTI personality types. Collect emails, then sell ad space and relevent products.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
yes i am an INTJ as well and this is why i understand the thinking of the masters behind the scenes who are controlling most of you guys

the actual system called society has been managed behind the scenes by others INTJ Mastermind for hundreds of years

the people that i call " the masters " in my posts

with my signature : Masters Vs pawns 1-0

they are initiates in secrets societies.

View attachment 16164

View attachment 16165
You sure know how to make me laugh. :rofl:

G

Guest24480

I've taken it every year for the past 5 years from various sources and still have yet to get something other than INTJ. While it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, there's at least some degree of merit to it based upon the fact that the description fits how I see myself pretty well.

tiagosoares17.22

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 5, 2017
Porto, Portugal
Bullshit. Similar to astrology. General enough to apply to anyone but with a label used, so they feel like they're apart of a group.

With that being said, I'm an ENTP, and it is absolutely accurate!

Side project idea: create a website that randomly generates 16 daily "horoscope" based on MBTI personality types. Collect emails, then sell ad space and relevent products.

Man, that actually seems like a great idea for those who want to make a few bucks on bullshit. People love that, and I bet it would sell.

PetePreneur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jan 28, 2017
UK
Sorry I haven't been able to reply to each post individually guys- I didn't expect to get so many replies.

I've taken the test again on this website: Type in Mind and I came out as an INTP, so it's confirmed. It's total BS .

Apparently INTP and ENTP are quite similar to how they process information, but in my mind, that's completely debunked it unfortunately!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.