The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are you methods on finding a Product?

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Hey guys figured this would be good thread to create especially with those involved in E-commerce or wanting to be . What kind of methods, sites, or strategies do you guys use when looking for a product to sell? Wether it be on you own online store, Etsy, Amazon, Ebay or any other platform. Are there certain sites that you use to find products as well as information on them like Ecomm hunt.com or jungle scout? Is there certain criteria that the product must meet, like where the product is manufactured, if the product solves a need or not or is it something that can easily be shipped. Im excited to see your guys responses and I feel like this can definitely help some people out and provided insight and value!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
What kind of methods, sites, or strategies do you guys use when looking for a product to sell?
There must be some, but I’m not sure there are a lot of people here dropshipping or reselling. This is what I’m understanding from the post.

People here tend to make their own products or improve products that are already offered( services too).[or that I’m more inclined to believe]

That implies manufacturing, sampling, the works.

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
There must be some, but I’m not sure there are a lot of people here dropshipping or reselling. This is what I’m understanding from the post.

People here tend to make their own products or improve products that are already offered( services too).[or that I’m more inclined to believe]

That implies manufacturing, sampling, the works.
Yes I agree with you, I was asking out of curiosity because I know there has to be some who do, also I feel as if you create your own/ improve or use someone else's that at least some of the principles apply like, shipping, where its made and over all usefulness.

Appreciate the feedback as well

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
As I remember, there are about 100 pages about business ideas and where to source , in a book I can recommend. Its „Unscripted “ I think

Jockomofino

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Jan 22, 2018
Durham, NC
Hey guys figured this would be good thread to create especially with those involved in E-commerce or wanting to be . What kind of methods, sites, or strategies do you guys use when looking for a product to sell? Wether it be on you own online store, Etsy, Amazon, Ebay or any other platform. Are there certain sites that you use to find products as well as information on them like Ecomm hunt.com or jungle scout? Is there certain criteria that the product must meet, like where the product is manufactured, if the product solves a need or not or is it something that can easily be shipped. Im excited to see your guys responses and I feel like this can definitely help some people out and provided insight and value!

There are books around that tell you processes for finding products to sell on FBA. Not one that I've read starts with solving a problem for someone, so I have to think, at best, you're going to be competing with dozens of other people for the same product with different branding and the only difference will be price. And as MJ says, when price is your value skew, it will be a race to the bottom.

Put it this way: if you read a book and use all of the metrics to determine a 'good product' to sell, what makes you think there aren't another hundred, or even thousands of, people who will follow the same process and select the same product as you?

My new business was created due to the problems my wife encountered running her own maid service, and as a result, we have had/are in the process of having products manufactured that solve specific problems. I use the metrics I mentioned before, but they aren't to find a good product to sell, but rather to do research about any potential competition.

We aren't reinventing the wheel. But I have to say I am shocked that not one of the solutions we have come up with (really good solutions, tested by my wife's company) already exist.

Like @Ing said, read UNScripted to get more than enough ideas for products to sell, not by looking at what is ALREADY selling but by finding a unique solution to an already existing problem.

I understand some people have to go the route of selling products already being offered due to lack of funds for custom manufacturing. At the very least, if you DO go the route of finding existing products to private label, look at other businesses selling the same thing and see if you can find a benefit that they don't mention. And when you DO get a customer, give them the best service they've ever had. That will keep them coming back you when all of the other businesses selling the same thing you are notice your new value skew and tack that benefit onto their product too.

I am not ready to write about what we're doing yet in detail. But I am confident that in a couple of years I will be writing my Fastlane story on these very boards and giving due credit to @MJ DeMarco for opening my eyes to what could be.

Last edited:

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
There are books around that tell you processes for finding products to sell on FBA. Not one that I've read starts with solving a problem for someone, so I have to think, at best, you're going to be competing with dozens of other people for the same product with different branding and the only difference will be price. And as MJ says, when price is your value skew, it will be a race to the bottom.

Put it this way: if you read a book and use all of the metrics to determine a 'good product' to sell, what makes you think there aren't another hundred, or even thousands of, people who will follow the same process and select the same product as you?

My new business was created due to the problems my wife encountered running her own maid service, and as a result, we have had/are in the process of having products manufactured that solve specific problems. I use the metrics I mentioned before, but they aren't to find a good product to sell, but rather to do research about any potential competition.

We aren't reinventing the wheel. But I have to say I am shocked that none of the solutions we have come up with (really good solutions, tested by my wife's company) don't already exist.

Like Ing said, read UNScripted to get more than enough ideas for products to sell, not by looking at what is ALREADY selling but by finding a unique solution to an already existing problem.

I understand some people have to go the route of selling products already being offered due to lack of funds for custom manufacturing. At the very least, if you DO go the route of finding existing products to private label, look at other businesses selling the same thing and see if you can find a benefit that they don't mention. And when you DO get a customer, give them the best service they've ever had. That will keep them coming back you when all of the other businesses selling the same thing you are notice your new value skew and tack that benefit onto their product too.

I am not ready to write about what we're doing yet in detail. But I am confident that in a couple of years I will be writing my Fastlane story on these very boards and giving due credit to @MJ DeMarco for opening my eyes to what could be.
I appreciate your feedback!

and I actually just picked up unscripted as well

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.