The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are YOU afraid of?

Anything related to matters of the mind

TG_Hawk

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Feb 26, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
I rarely watch movies, but I was watching Chasing Mavericks the other night and the ending really struck a chord with me. It’s a phenomenal movie about perseverance, overcoming obstacles, and doing whatever it takes to go after your dreams without ever giving up. Throughout the movie, Gerard Butler (mentor) assigns Jay (mentee) different tasks to complete on his way to riding the biggest waves in the world called “Mavericks” At the end of the movie as his final task, Gerard Butler asks Jay to write an essay on what he is truly afraid of. What are his fears?

I believe most of society uses their fears to hold them back and as their excuses not to be great, while the Fastlaners use their fears as their reasons, motivation, and fire to be great and accomplish extraordinary things. As the saying goes, FEAR can either stand for Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise.

Here are mine:
1) Fear of insignificance. Not leaving a positive impact and legacy on the world.
2) Fear of dying alone.
3) Fear of not being the ultimate Fastlane role model to my siblings and future family.
4) Fear of regret that I didn’t live life to the fullest and chase all my dreams.
5) Fear of not finding true happiness.

What are YOUR fears? What do you use everyday to fuel your fire and push you forward? We’re all afraid of something, it’s just a matter of how you harness those fears and use them as reasons or excuses.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Gunther Herzog

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Apr 22, 2018
Switzerland, at the lake of Lucerne
Although this thread is kind of old, the question is a very good one!

Fear, Anxiety is a normal human emotion, as the graphic below shows.
Mental state in terms of challenge level and skill level, according to Csikszentmihalyi's flow model.
1200px-Challenge_vs_skill.svg.png

Now the question is:
How do you cope with this emotion?
  1. Do you run away form the situation?
  2. Do you keep yourself occupied with with actions, that do not move the needle?
  3. Do you you procrastinate?
  4. Or do you use your fear as a fuel?
I think in general that it is very common for slowlaners and scripted people, that they let them selfs being hold back by fear, by using option 1.- 3.

So how do you use the fear as a fuel?

First you have to accept the fear. Accept it, know that it is there. Know also, that nowadays, most of your fears are not valid anymore. You do not have to fear your physical safety. There will be no lion, bear or any other wild animal trying to kill you. Back in the Stone Age time, it was wise to be afraid to fight a lion. Today it is unwise to fear a phone call. There is no possibility for you to be physically harmed!

Second you use the fear to push you forward. As fear makes you uncomfortable, you want to run away from it. Now you should not run away from the problem. That will not improve things. Instead run away from the fear, towards the solution of the problem.

Third you have to repeat an thrive!

My Personal fears are, that I will not be able to live up to my potential.
That I am not enough, to reach my goals.
Not enough tall, smart, hard, good looking, strong or whatever excuse.

But none of those things are going to keep me from achieving my dreams, If I take enough action and use that fear to push me even harder.

What are your excuses?

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I fear starting because I don't know what's going to happen next.

I'm afraid of selling myself to potential clients and looking like an a$$.

I'm afraid that I have no idea what I want to do with my life, no plan, no goals, just dying inside a little bit every day because of my lack of action.

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
Fear of Chucky that little doll scares the crap out of me.

J.Sark

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Jan 21, 2017
Spain
Right now, I'm scared that I'm going to be stuck in a possition like the one I'm right now. I work in a small team, and although the salary is not bad, I have to work regularly with the most ignorant and professional two guys ever. Of course, they get paid more than what I do, and I have to take shit from them everyday.

Maybe it's just normal corporate world? I'm fairly new to this, but it's a scary thought getting to the point where I just feel like all of this is "normal".

Guess it's a good motivator to keep pushing forward towards my goals!

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Fear of no money-MY Grandma died only living off of Social Security.

Fear of the unknown-This is why I haven't gotten into a relationship...yet

AdamMaxum

a worthy successor indeed
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Apr 30, 2011
NY
losing my wife or kid, family members, friends
getting cancer
heights
giving blood
the usual stuff.

business wise - financial security is always in the back of my head, especially with a family and mortgage now.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
I fear not getting over my fears. That and thalassophobia.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
I rarely watch movies, but I was watching Chasing Mavericks the other night and the ending really struck a chord with me. It’s a phenomenal movie about perseverance, overcoming obstacles, and doing whatever it takes to go after your dreams without ever giving up. Throughout the movie, Gerard Butler (mentor) assigns Jay (mentee) different tasks to complete on his way to riding the biggest waves in the world called “Mavericks” At the end of the movie as his final task, Gerard Butler asks Jay to write an essay on what he is truly afraid of. What are his fears?

I believe most of society uses their fears to hold them back and as their excuses not to be great, while the Fastlaners use their fears as their reasons, motivation, and fire to be great and accomplish extraordinary things. As the saying goes, FEAR can either stand for Forget Everything And Run or Face Everything And Rise.

Here are mine:
1) Fear of insignificance. Not leaving a positive impact and legacy on the world.
2) Fear of dying alone.
3) Fear of not being the ultimate Fastlane role model to my siblings and future family.
4) Fear of regret that I didn’t live life to the fullest and chase all my dreams.
5) Fear of not finding true happiness.

What are YOUR fears? What do you use everyday to fuel your fire and push you forward? We’re all afraid of something, it’s just a matter of how you harness those fears and use them as reasons or excuses.
Fear of rationalizing my hopes and dreams away.
Fear of rationalizing to the point that I can't see reality AS IT IS
Fear that I will let life pass me by like I did my first 20 years of life again.

I am VERY happy with where I am and where I am going to be but I fear that it will all be taken away. I fear that I will go back to my old self. But that fear is what will drive me to the next level. Fear is normal. Fear is necessary. These fears are what keeps us pushing. /endcornymotivationalrant

Andreas Thiel

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
112%
Aug 27, 2018
Karlsruhe, Germany
I don't really have fears ... not the way I remember them from way back.

Does that mean there is no resistance when I consider doing something meaningful and new? I wish.
It feels like fears were replaced with a different mechanism that just shuts down all thoughts and emotions right before fear would kick in. The promise of growth mentality books that "fixing your mindset will fix your actions" never turned out to be true for me.
Fair enough, will just have to work on both areas separately.

My fear (and it is a different, ambient and way-in-the-background feeling) is that I might not have enough fight left in me. Not on a factual level - it is a trough of emotional disillusionment that I keep descending into.

Last edited:

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
Fear of failure is my biggest one and it's the cause of my other fears.

However, I use that as an excuse to not try instead of a reason to try hard. Honestly, protecting my ego has really F*cked me up.

I've worked on it quite a bit and gotten A LOT better than when I was younger. Still got A LOT of work to do though.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.