The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What are the best books or websites to learn website and software development?

I would like to learn website and software development. Any recommendations?

• youtube...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • this book...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 27, 2015
I come from a business background but am completely new to IT. So where do I start? And what books or websites or youtube channels should i refer to, to learn website and software development?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Digamma

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Nov 13, 2014
What do you want to learn, and why?
You are talking about an incredibly vast field. To get decent answers you'll need to be more specific.
But. If you want to do web development, my advice is don't try to go at it on your own online. You are far better off signing up at CodeSchool or similar platform and pay to get high quality lessons and good learning paths. Otherwise you will get lost in the amount of stuff you can learn.

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
why do you want to learn to code? Web dev is quite complicated, especially if you want to do anything 'cool.' You'll spend the better part of a year working through a full but simple web app. At least, that's how long it took me, and I already knew some code.

RetiredHobo

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jul 8, 2015
Texas Hill Country
None, unless you want to spend the next 10+ years learning everything there is to know about web and software development. Even then you will probably only come to realize how much you don't know.

If you read MJ's book and want something fastlane, break down the task at hand into specific areas of knowledge (web, database, desktop, 3rd party, etc.). Software development is like a toolbox. And one of the best lessons you can learn is no customer gives two shits about the tooling used in the process.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 27, 2015
Thank you so much guys. Actually I want to design and develop a blog. Later I will develop this in to a website with a payment gateway.

Delmania

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Aug 21, 2015
Rochester, NY
Thank you so much guys. Actually I want to design and develop a blog. Later I will develop this in to a website with a payment gateway.

Ok, for reference I have an MS degree in CS, and I've been developing software for a decade.

With that in mind, learning to code so you can set up a blog and turn it into a payment gateway is a massive waste of time. It's much more efficient to simply go to a VPS (virtual private server) provider like Digital Ocean and get a Wordpress installation. You learn just enough Linux to keep the installation up to date (like 3 commands).

That way you can spend your time on far more valuable things, like defining the look of the blog, what plugins you want to use, and, more important, what content you want to write. Learning to write great content is a far better use of your time that learning to code.

If you want to learn to code because it genuinely interests you, do it in your spare time. Don't make it a requirement to enter the fastlane.

User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 27, 2015
Ok, for reference I have an MS degree in CS, and I've been developing software for a decade.

With that in mind, learning to code so you can set up a blog and turn it into a payment gateway is a massive waste of time. It's much more efficient to simply go to a VPS (virtual private server) provider like Digital Ocean and get a Wordpress installation. You learn just enough Linux to keep the installation up to date (like 3 commands).

That way you can spend your time on far more valuable things, like defining the look of the blog, what plugins you want to use, and, more important, what content you want to write. Learning to write great content is a far better use of your time that learning to code.

If you want to learn to code because it genuinely interests you, do it in your spare time. Don't make it a requirement to enter the fastlane.
Ok, for reference I have an MS degree in CS, and I've been developing software for a decade.]

Thank you Delmania. That is very helpful. I will read about those :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.