The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Well if this isn't a FTE (F*ck This Event!) I don't know what is.....

Anything related to matters of the mind

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It was published in the UK press and on Reddit etc. about a staff notice board post at Jiminy Massachusetts.

It's a difficult one as I can see it from both angles. As a boss I need to know I can count on my staff to turn up and do their jobs. However from an employee standpoint I think the way this letter is worded would create a serious F*ck This Event for me.

What would your reaction be??

IMG_0254.JPG

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium
Once you're out this work-thing, you realize fear is a strong motive for many employees, strategically used by their bosses.

Messages like these show the respect some have for their workers (being: none), which they probably get in return. But then it's the employees that suck of course.

ExaltedLife

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Nov 10, 2015
Yeah this resort probably sucks. The Grand Budapest, however... it's an institution.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
If I see this kind of notice from my boss , I might grumble a bit but it definitely won't create a FTE for me.

I guess different people get FTE-Triggered differently.

Side note: this boss is mean as hell.

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
It was published in the UK press and on Reddit etc. about a staff notice board post at Jiminy Massachusetts.

It's a difficult one as I can see it from both angles. As a boss I need to know I can count on my staff to turn up and do their jobs. However from an employee standpoint I think the way this letter is worded would create a serious f*ck This Event for me.

View attachment 23427
I'm with you. Apparently it's a ski resort, sooo employees need to show up when it snows. How the letter was worded is another issue. I think the guy sounds like a dick, either:

A) Because he IS a dick, or
B) Because he's been conditioned to act like a dick from years of running an adult daycare center (aka managing idiotic employees)

Maybe this is also his FTE.

Last edited:

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
If I see this kind of notice from my boss , I might grumble a bit but it definitely won't create a FTE for me.

I guess different people get FTE-Triggered differently.

Side note: this boss is mean as hell.

This is why I'd make a crap employee, I'd be straight out the door. :rofl:

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Yeah this resort probably sucks. The Grand Budapest, however... it's an institution.
HAHAHAHA! Love it!

"You're looking so well darling, you really are. I don't know what sort of cream they put on you down at the morgue but, I want some."

JG17

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Oct 22, 2018
London, UK
I bet Mark is a right wanker.

The company has a point, but going about it absolutely the wrong way. They probably know the staff hate the management (if they don't already, they will now!), so feel they have to be strong and a dick in this circumstance to make sure people actually do turn up.

If you write a notice sounding like a dick, the reader will come away thinking the consequences of not turning up will be tough. There will likely be a mix of people turning up out of fear, or having an FTE but turning up anyway. For those who do turn up, staff morale will be low and customer service will be slacking.

If you write a notice sounding like a lost child, the reader might want to take advantage and not turn up. The day will be a struggle due to lack of staff and the company's reputation might take a hit, but at least your staff won't hate you.

If you write a notice explaining the situation, understanding the staff's concerns, explaining the difficult position of the company and offering an incentive for people to how in difficult circumstances, attendance will be near 100% and the staff won't be miserable.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
When I had my eCommerce business we used to work crazy hours leading up to Christmas 7 days a week. If we had really bad weather my partner or I would drive round and pick the staff up then take them home again afterwards.

Hopefully it showed we cared and didn't want them having an accident in the snow (they didn't have 4x4's) but also meant we were fully staffed.

LuckyPup

FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
When I had my eCommerce business we used to work crazy hours leading up to Christmas 7 days a week. If we had really bad weather my partner or I would drive round and pick the staff up then take them home again afterwards.

Hopefully it showed we cared and didn't want them having an accident in the snow (they didn't have 4x4's) but also meant we were fully staffed.
Well done! I hope the staff were grateful. I realize this is a leap, but in today's 24-hour cycle of bad news and "us against them" propaganda, these are the stories I love to hear, and all of us need to hear!

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
It’s a difficult situation for the boss, I can relate because I have to pull this card out several times a year.

In my day job, all employees agreed to and were hired as Alpha I, meaning that in inclement weather, emergencies, whatever - they report to work and do the task delegated to them by management. It is a condition of employment. Inevitably, I have a handful of hard heads that want to try their luck and say they aren’t coming in, and a good portion of the workforce grumbles about it.

When it snows, it’s our job to get the sidewalks cleared and safe so the City can open and resume services for the citizens. We’re also responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment that could freeze and bust, and must be checked and drained down or protected if power goes out when it’s below freezing. Roof drains clogged from leaves during a hurricane can cause standing water and collapse flat roofed buildings, so we need to keep on top of it. You get the picture.

This boss is probably frustrated, like @LuckyPup said, because they have a sweet job for the rest of the year, and the few times he needs them to be there for the patrons or to help avoid a major issue, he gets a bunch of crap. Adult day care. I’m at least able to offer a shower, kitchen and safe building if we have to go overnight.

Instances like this have been an FTE for some of our employees, but they just leave us in anger and go get another job. It sucks, but the boss is in a hard spot, he’s expected to keep things running. I’ve found myself battling to keep enough staff while under mandatory evacuation orders from the governor during a hurricane. Tell me that doesn’t go to bed with you. I will not miss that when I finally exit the workplace.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
This boss is probably frustrated, like @LuckyPup said, because they have a sweet job for the rest of the year, and the few times he needs them to be there for the patrons or to help avoid a major issue, he gets a bunch of crap. Adult day care. I’m at least able to offer a shower, kitchen and safe building if we have to go overnight.

I would argue that most of hospitality work isn't a sweet job. Usually poorly paid, unsocial hours and most of the time little in the way of social reward or respect. Doing a little digging I found out that the letter was directed at restaurant employees.

• If the weather is so bad your vehicle is not capable of getting you to work then tough, find someone who can bring you in.
  • When you manage to get here for your shift don't expect us to put you up at Jiminy, or even provide a pillow or a blanket if you can't get home afterwards.

Basically just be grateful for your minimum wage jobs.

@B. Cole Hat's off to you mate, you have a tough and dangerous job. Here, when the weather forecast is really bad staff have been known to take snow ploughs home so they can get back in.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Lolz, it was quite funny right up to the bit of, ...and don't even think about asking to stay the night.

I probably wouldn't mind the note much, however if it snowed and was hard for me to come in, I almost definitely wouldn't bother showing up.

There was this one time during a my-way-or-the-highway speech, I told a boss that he seriously overestimated how much I gave a F*ck about his silly job. Funnily enough he stopped threatening me from that moment on.

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
I would argue that most of hospitality work isn't a sweet job. Usually poorly paid, unsocial hours and most of the time little in the way of social reward or respect. Doing a little digging I found out that the letter was directed at restaurant employees.

• If the weather is so bad your vehicle is not capable of getting you to work then tough, find someone who can bring you in.
  • When you manage to get here for your shift don't expect us to put you up at Jiminy, or even provide a pillow or a blanket if you can't get home afterwards.

Basically just be grateful for your minimum wage jobs.

@B. Cole Hat's off to you mate, you have a tough and dangerous job. Here, when the weather forecast is really bad staff have been known to take snow ploughs home so they can get back in.

Yeah no doubt, very different situation. I’m fortunate that my workers are in it for the long haul and retirement, so they have an interest in keeping the operation going.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I could understand the underlying themes in the letter, but the messaging is piss poor.

What a great way to demonstrate to your employees that they're inhuman cogs in a wheel with no life outside of the resort.

The note's TLDR: Blizzard and stuck here? Sleep on the floor b*tches.

D

Deleted50669

It's a difficult one as I can see it from both angles. As a boss I need to know I can count on my staff to turn up and do their jobs. However from an employee standpoint I think the way this letter is worded would create a serious f*ck This Event for me.

View attachment 23427
Well, at the end of the day being an employee IS a choice. While it's shitily worded, the boss has a valid argument - lots of money with those customers - and the reputation of their resort - relies on people persevering despite the weather. If I were their employee I'd probably bring up that I didn't like the wording, but I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation given the industry.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
It says you can stay at fisher or Clarke which I’m assuming are close by so that’s not so bad. Terrible wording however.

I think most employees would accept that that’s what they signed up for and be like good they put this sign up I’m sick of the other people wingeing.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
It says you can stay at fisher or Clarke which I’m assuming are close by so that’s not so bad. Terrible wording however.

Fisher and Clark are both Conference/Reception rooms for weddings etc. Fisher accommodates up to 130 guests. Clark up to 40. So after a full shift (and probably working extra hours because of the staff that couldn't make it in) you have the luxury of spending the night on a chair or a sofa in a large cold reception room with no pillows or blankets.

Nah, think I'd pass.

Because of the backlash and public outcry to the staff notice Jiminy have distanced themselves from the incident:
On Saturday morning, the resort tweeted a statement about the letter, saying in part “it does not represent the tone or concern that we have at Jiminy, for our employees as well as our guests.”

The statement said the letter was written for restaurant employees only. But because of how it was addressed it incorrectly appeared to reflect the ski resort’s overall policy.

“While trying to convey his concerns for the concessionaire’s staffing through the upcoming storm, that manager was overzealous in his language, tone, and approach which do not conform to the policies for Jiminy employees or what Jiminy expects of its concessionaires and vendors,” the resort said.

Don't think their PR guys slept too well either. From a snow storm to a sh*t storm. Wonder if he still has a job?

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
We don't know the background though, this could all be one bad action by a guy having one bad day while having to deal with one bad employee.

We don't know.

Very true. It only takes one slip up to take someone down however. Gerald Ratner can attest to that (great autobiography read by the way).

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I wouldn't take it personal lol.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.