• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Well if this isn't a FTE (F*ck This Event!) I don't know what is.....

Discussion in 'General Mindset, Motivation, Beliefs' started by RazorCut, Jan 22, 2019.

1. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $27,033
    It was published in the UK press and on Reddit etc. about a staff notice board post at Jiminy Massachusetts.

It's a difficult one as I can see it from both angles. As a boss I need to know I can count on my staff to turn up and do their jobs. However from an employee standpoint I think the way this letter is worded would create a serious F*ck This Event for me.

What would your reaction be??

IMG_0254.JPG

2. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,967
    Once you're out this work-thing, you realize fear is a strong motive for many employees, strategically used by their bosses.

Messages like these show the respect some have for their workers (being: none), which they probably get in return. But then it's the employees that suck of course.

3. ExaltedLife

ExaltedLife Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,615
    Yeah this resort probably sucks. The Grand Budapest, however... it's an institution.

LuckyPup and RazorCut like this.
  4. Xeon

Xeon All Cars Kneel Before Pagani. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,635
    If I see this kind of notice from my boss , I might grumble a bit but it definitely won't create a FTE for me.

I guess different people get FTE-Triggered differently.

Side note: this boss is mean as hell.

RazorCut likes this.
  5. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Done Dicking Around Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,981
    I'm with you. Apparently it's a ski resort, sooo employees need to show up when it snows. How the letter was worded is another issue. I think the guy sounds like a dick, either:

A) Because he IS a dick, or
    B) Because he's been conditioned to act like a dick from years of running an adult daycare center (aka managing idiotic employees)

Maybe this is also his FTE.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  6. RazorCut

RazorCut Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $27,033
    This is why I'd make a crap employee, I'd be straight out the door. :rofl:

Smuggo, rollerskates, Xeon and 2 others like this.
  7. LuckyPup

LuckyPup Done Dicking Around Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,981
    HAHAHAHA! Love it!

"You're looking so well darling, you really are. I don't know what sort of cream they put on you down at the morgue but, I want some."

Xeon and ExaltedLife like this.
  8. LuckyPup

Rep Bank:
    $2,981
    I hate to admit I was a boiling frog for way too long. There was a time I would have put up with this. Finally jumped the pot.

Xeon, MJ DeMarco and RazorCut like this.
  9. James Gill

James Gill Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $828
    I bet Mark is a right wanker.

The company has a point, but going about it absolutely the wrong way. They probably know the staff hate the management (if they don't already, they will now!), so feel they have to be strong and a dick in this circumstance to make sure people actually do turn up.

If you write a notice sounding like a dick, the reader will come away thinking the consequences of not turning up will be tough. There will likely be a mix of people turning up out of fear, or having an FTE but turning up anyway. For those who do turn up, staff morale will be low and customer service will be slacking.

If you write a notice sounding like a lost child, the reader might want to take advantage and not turn up. The day will be a struggle due to lack of staff and the company's reputation might take a hit, but at least your staff won't hate you.

If you write a notice explaining the situation, understanding the staff's concerns, explaining the difficult position of the company and offering an incentive for people to how in difficult circumstances, attendance will be near 100% and the staff won't be miserable.

Xeon, FastNAwesome, Jello and 3 others like this.
  10. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $27,033
    When I had my eCommerce business we used to work crazy hours leading up to Christmas 7 days a week. If we had really bad weather my partner or I would drive round and pick the staff up then take them home again afterwards.

Hopefully it showed we cared and didn't want them having an accident in the snow (they didn't have 4x4's) but also meant we were fully staffed.

11. LuckyPup

Rep Bank:
    $2,981
    Well done! I hope the staff were grateful. I realize this is a leap, but in today's 24-hour cycle of bad news and "us against them" propaganda, these are the stories I love to hear, and all of us need to hear!

Xeon, ExaltedLife and RazorCut like this.
  12. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,073
    It’s a difficult situation for the boss, I can relate because I have to pull this card out several times a year.

In my day job, all employees agreed to and were hired as Alpha I, meaning that in inclement weather, emergencies, whatever - they report to work and do the task delegated to them by management. It is a condition of employment. Inevitably, I have a handful of hard heads that want to try their luck and say they aren’t coming in, and a good portion of the workforce grumbles about it.

When it snows, it’s our job to get the sidewalks cleared and safe so the City can open and resume services for the citizens. We’re also responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars worth of equipment that could freeze and bust, and must be checked and drained down or protected if power goes out when it’s below freezing. Roof drains clogged from leaves during a hurricane can cause standing water and collapse flat roofed buildings, so we need to keep on top of it. You get the picture.

This boss is probably frustrated, like @LuckyPup said, because they have a sweet job for the rest of the year, and the few times he needs them to be there for the patrons or to help avoid a major issue, he gets a bunch of crap. Adult day care. I’m at least able to offer a shower, kitchen and safe building if we have to go overnight.

Instances like this have been an FTE for some of our employees, but they just leave us in anger and go get another job. It sucks, but the boss is in a hard spot, he’s expected to keep things running. I’ve found myself battling to keep enough staff while under mandatory evacuation orders from the governor during a hurricane. Tell me that doesn’t go to bed with you. I will not miss that when I finally exit the workplace.

jon.M, FastNAwesome, Kruiser and 2 others like this.
  13. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $27,033
    I would argue that most of hospitality work isn't a sweet job. Usually poorly paid, unsocial hours and most of the time little in the way of social reward or respect. Doing a little digging I found out that the letter was directed at restaurant employees.

• If the weather is so bad your vehicle is not capable of getting you to work then tough, find someone who can bring you in.
    • When you manage to get here for your shift don't expect us to put you up at Jiminy, or even provide a pillow or a blanket if you can't get home afterwards.

Basically just be grateful for your minimum wage jobs.

@B. Cole Hat's off to you mate, you have a tough and dangerous job. Here, when the weather forecast is really bad staff have been known to take snow ploughs home so they can get back in.

B. Cole likes this.
  14. Roli

Roli Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,577
    Lolz, it was quite funny right up to the bit of, ...and don't even think about asking to stay the night.

I probably wouldn't mind the note much, however if it snowed and was hard for me to come in, I almost definitely wouldn't bother showing up.

There was this one time during a my-way-or-the-highway speech, I told a boss that he seriously overestimated how much I gave a F*ck about his silly job. Funnily enough he stopped threatening me from that moment on.

Dre2001 and RazorCut like this.
  15. B. Cole

B. Cole In thine hand is power and might. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,073
    Yeah no doubt, very different situation. I’m fortunate that my workers are in it for the long haul and retirement, so they have an interest in keeping the operation going.

FastNAwesome and RazorCut like this.
  16. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,721
    Admin Post
    I could understand the underlying themes in the letter, but the messaging is piss poor.

What a great way to demonstrate to your employees that they're inhuman cogs in a wheel with no life outside of the resort.

The note's TLDR: Blizzard and stuck here? Sleep on the floor b*tches.

luniac, Roz, JunkBoxJoey_JBJ and 2 others like this.
  17. 404profound

404profound Gold Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,887
    Well, at the end of the day being an employee IS a choice. While it's shitily worded, the boss has a valid argument - lots of money with those customers - and the reputation of their resort - relies on people persevering despite the weather. If I were their employee I'd probably bring up that I didn't like the wording, but I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation given the industry.

RazorCut and B. Cole like this.
  18. BookwormMitch

BookwormMitch Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $603
    It says you can stay at fisher or Clarke which I’m assuming are close by so that’s not so bad. Terrible wording however.

I think most employees would accept that that’s what they signed up for and be like good they put this sign up I’m sick of the other people wingeing.

RazorCut likes this.
  19. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $27,033
    Fisher and Clark are both Conference/Reception rooms for weddings etc. Fisher accommodates up to 130 guests. Clark up to 40. So after a full shift (and probably working extra hours because of the staff that couldn't make it in) you have the luxury of spending the night on a chair or a sofa in a large cold reception room with no pillows or blankets.

Nah, think I'd pass.

Because of the backlash and public outcry to the staff notice Jiminy have distanced themselves from the incident:
    On Saturday morning, the resort tweeted a statement about the letter, saying in part “it does not represent the tone or concern that we have at Jiminy, for our employees as well as our guests.”

The statement said the letter was written for restaurant employees only. But because of how it was addressed it incorrectly appeared to reflect the ski resort’s overall policy.

“While trying to convey his concerns for the concessionaire’s staffing through the upcoming storm, that manager was overzealous in his language, tone, and approach which do not conform to the policies for Jiminy employees or what Jiminy expects of its concessionaires and vendors,” the resort said.

Don't think their PR guys slept too well either. From a snow storm to a sh*t storm. Wonder if he still has a job?

Xeon and Longinus like this.
  20. Longinus

Longinus Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $18,967
    We don't know the background though, this could all be one bad action by a guy having one bad day while having to deal with one bad employee.

We don't know.

Xeon and RazorCut like this.
  21. RazorCut

Rep Bank:
    $27,033
    Very true. It only takes one slip up to take someone down however. Gerald Ratner can attest to that (great autobiography read by the way).

22. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $12,606
    I wouldn't take it personal lol.

RazorCut likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.