The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Website Help on Start-up Site!

Spikeroo

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Aug 17, 2011
Merritt Island, Fl
I'm starting a site, and using weebly which takes 50% of revenue generated from my site. Are there any other
sites that are user friendly like weebly and don't take half my revenue? Or should I just start from scratch.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

rico

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Aug 14, 2007
Buckinghamshire, UK
The best way would be to find a webhost that offers one-click Wordpress installs. I can't recommend a USA host as I'm in the UK.

Install wordpress, then google for instructions on how to install a new theme.

Wordpress is a content management system and it works great. Lots of widgets too for easy installs of add-ons.

A couple of hours of googling and trying new themes and you'll be set with a good looking website and be able to keep 100% of any income.

Clayton

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Oct 9, 2012
San Diego
I'm not sure what your needs are. If you're going for Wordpress, I like both Dreamhost and HostGator for cheap hosting. They both have one-click installs for Wordpress.

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013
I agree with the posters above. I have never heard of weebly but I would not give 50% of my sales to anyone.

If you give a description of what you want the site to do would make it easier to help.

lookingahead

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Nov 21, 2010
I would also recommend using wordpress, even if you cant find it on google then you can put it in the wordpress forum for help. There are tons of themes and thousands of plugins. I use inmotion hosting which has onc-click install of wordpress.

JAWS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 25, 2012
Chicago, IL
I second what the other guys are saying.

You're site does not need to be perfect to begin - so pick a theme and fire away!

For SEO purposes, just begin to put really good content on it (via blog, FB, twitter, Quora, etc), and if you need to change the design or structure layout than hire someone on odesk or elance.

Wordpress is awesome because they have a ton of plugins that will guide you in making your content easily readable for google (XML sitemap), and for you to optimize on the keywords you choose (SEO by Yoast).

Coop

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Mar 3, 2013
I agree with everyone that is posting so far. Definitely do not use Weebly for a real business.

I personally use and definitely recommend LiquidWeb as a hosting company. They're a bit more expensive for shared or VPS hosting than other companies but they provide full service support and you can call them anytime of day or night and they'll be there waiting to answer your call and assist you.

Wordpress will allow you to build what you need and it's incredibly easy to install on any host whether they have the one click install or not. There's tons of free themes out there, but for a business site I'd suggest looking into a premium theme specific to what you want to do. There are all sorts of themes for ecommerce, service based businesses, etc.

I can point you towards some specifics if you post more about what your business is.

mapaul04

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 27, 2011
Weebly is not a good option. As everyone else has suggested use wordpress. Sign up for hosting with hostgator then google how to install wordpress on your hostgator hosting, it will be simple. You can then upload a wordpress theme and google answers to any questions you have about wordpress. It is an extremely popular CMS and there are answers for all questions online. If you signup for elegant themes you can use their templates (website templates) and they offer free support which is very helpful, if you need to edit a theme/template they are always very helpful.

Csanders

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Apr 5, 2013
I have been using weebly for one of my test websites (authority page). For someone who doesnt know how to use wordpress, there is nothing wrong with using weebly just to gauge the market and to start getting traffic to your website. If you are looking at starting an online store, this is when I would recommend using something like wordpress. As for the ease of use, weebly is up there with its drag and drop functionality, meaning you can get a website up and running in about 10 minutes, if you know what you are doing.

I am actually beginning to look at wordpress, and found a pretty thorough tutorial video on youtube. It goes for about an hour long. In the video he suggests using hostgator and gives a discount coupon for hosting. I recommend checking it out!

How To Make a Wordpress Website - AMAZING! - YouTube

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
As for the ease of use, weebly is up there with its drag and drop functionality, meaning you can get a website up and running in about 10 minutes, if you know what you are doing.

Literally, getting a basic Wordpress site up and running doesn't take much longer. And you can move it. You've got 100% control. And if you like the results you get, you just keep building on it, instead of wasting your time with building a Weebly site (which doesn't teach you anything about making a real website with Wordpress or any other platform).

Go for a Wordpress site, hands down. Especially with the one-click install, it won't take you more than 30 minutes to get a site up.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I came across this site Tips for a successful website launch – 1&1 and found it affordable and easy to use. So, in case you're still looking for a website host, maybe check it out? Hope it'll be of use to you.

WOW. You came across this? Lucky. Normally, we don't let newbies post links. But in your case…. since you haven't posted any other links in your 12 posts… well, maybe just this once.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
What about a classified-like business? Where do I start there?

This is a little off-topic for the thread, the OP never came back. If you are serious about this, you might start your own thread.

Wordpress has lots of plugins that make it (relatively) easy to set-up a website that does many different things, including a classifieds-like site. Wordpress is free, and most plugins are, too, but sometimes the best plugins might have cost you a little money (developers sell them to pay for the time that they've invested).

A simple google search of "Wordpress classifieds plugins" will get you a lot of results. I've never personally tried any of them, but I'm sure you can find something that will work pretty well.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Get with HostGator... then install WordPress on your site manually (I personally recommend this for security reasons).
Make sure you own your URL/domain name - also known as your www.YOURSITENAME.com.

50% of my revenue...psh!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.